PDA

View Full Version : so where will OU be ranked?

Soonerjeepman
12/6/2015, 12:02 AM
clemson 1
bama 2?
OU 3
msu 4...

Eielson
12/6/2015, 12:04 AM
The only question is if they put us at 3, or MSU. It should be us, but we'll see how it plays out.

Soonerjeepman
12/6/2015, 12:05 AM
yeah, course espn pushing msu over OU...

Widescreen
12/6/2015, 12:29 AM
I think it's going to come down to the matchups the playoff committee wants to see. Do they want to see an OU/Bama matchup in the semi's or the finals?

Snrinhouston
12/6/2015, 12:35 AM
Clemson
Bama
MSU
OU

BCS wouldn't disadvantage Bama by making it play OU in Dallas.

dennis580
12/6/2015, 12:38 AM
Wonder if the Baylor loss will factor here. Mich St beating the #4 team along with the Baylor could very well be enough for the committing to drop us to #4.

We could end up playing Clemson in the orange instead of Bama in the Cotton.

Okie35
12/6/2015, 12:43 AM
Clemson
Bama
MSU
OU

BCS wouldn't disadvantage Bama by making it play OU in Dallas.

It's not about the disadvantage ... Storylines favor Clemson/OU and MSU/Bama more

Bv being on Clemson and us getting revenge from last year
Saban going against his old school

soonercastor
12/6/2015, 12:54 AM
Well Michigan State has wins over two current top 10 teams in Ohio State and Iowa. And another two top 20 wins in Oregon and Michigan. And we both lost to awful teams
So it's not like it would be a travesty for them to be at #3.

We'll probably end up at 4 and play Clemson, and that's fine

SteelClip49
12/6/2015, 06:54 AM
Oklahoma will be in the top 4!!!

SteelClip49
12/6/2015, 06:54 AM
OU will be in top 4!!!

SoonerMarkVA
12/6/2015, 08:57 AM
Pretty sure we're going to #4.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2015, 09:50 AM
<#5

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/6/2015, 11:39 AM
The makeup of the committee is really interesting. When you look at their credentials, there are 3 schools that are going to get considerable favoritism -> Clemson, Oklahoma, Stanford.

OU -> Osborne, Alvarez, Jeff Long, Kirby Hocutt
Clemson -> Radakovich, Johnson
Stanford -> Rice, Willingham, maybe Jernstedt

I think we are safe regardless, but the makeup of the committee says that Michigan State and Alabama should be worried if they try to do something controversial

Indy Sooner
12/6/2015, 11:41 AM
I think it will be Clemson-OU in the Orange Bowl- a site that has been historically kind to both programs.

JLMSOONER
12/6/2015, 11:47 AM
#4. Going to Miami!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgbX7_VMIUY

I couldn't find the parody on will smiths song

Soonerjeepman
12/6/2015, 12:05 PM
The makeup of the committee is really interesting. When you look at their credentials, there are 3 schools that are going to get considerable favoritism -> Clemson, Oklahoma, Stanford.

OU -> Osborne, Alvarez, Jeff Long, Kirby Hocutt
Clemson -> Radakovich, Johnson
Stanford -> Rice, Willingham, maybe Jernstedt

I think we are safe regardless, but the makeup of the committee says that Michigan State and Alabama should be worried if they try to do something controversial
I don't see that as a plus...just me.

If you look at all the power numbers..OU is far better than msu...

SoonerMarkVA
12/6/2015, 12:11 PM
I think it will be Clemson-OU in the Orange Bowl- a site that has been historically kind to both programs.

It wasn't too kind to Clemson v. WV in 2012.

Edit: or us in the game that shall not be mentioned.

Peeb
12/6/2015, 12:40 PM
Committee wanted to penalize B12 for no championship game.

Still would rather see a 1-spot drop than risk injuries or loss in an extra game this year.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2015, 12:53 PM
Committee wanted to penalize B12 for no championship game.

Still would rather see a 1-spot drop than risk injuries or loss in an extra game this year.

I'm not seeing the penalty here. Had OU beat the horns, I think OU would have been #1 over Clemson.

Indy Sooner
12/6/2015, 12:54 PM
It wasn't too kind to Clemson v. WV in 2012.

Edit: or us in the game that shall not be mentioned.

I was thinking more along the line of NC games. Certainly for Clemson but, on second thought, as I reflect- the Orange Bowl has been both kind and cruel for OU.

Jacie
12/6/2015, 01:13 PM
From the other POV, I think Clemson would prefer MSU over playing Oklahoma . . .

Eielson
12/6/2015, 01:29 PM
It's not about the disadvantage ... Storylines favor Clemson/OU and MSU/Bama more

Bv being on Clemson and us getting revenge from last year
Saban going against his old school

In all honesty, I don't think anybody cares about Venables, or Saban's past coaching experience at MSU. OU-Bama is the only matchup anybody is excited to see. I'm annoyed they didn't let that happen, but admittedly, it would have set for an anti-climactic championship game. I think the aim was to set that up as the grand finale.

The anti-Big XII bias in this committee is pretty difficult to dispute, though. OU is rated last, but would be favored in any matchup.

Sabanball
12/6/2015, 01:31 PM
Congrats on your selection. I do think we got the easier draw in the semis, the match ups with sparty are more in our favor-- two pro style O's and very good D's. We should be able to sack and hurry Connor. If it weren't for DW, I'd say y'all will truck Clemson. Still think you win though.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2015, 01:32 PM
I know I'm a nobody, but I'm very excited about the OU/Clemson match-up. I don't see the extra intrigue of an OU/Bama match-up over other combos. These are all good teams and any of them can win it all.

SoonerorLater
12/6/2015, 02:21 PM
I'm not seeing the penalty here. Had OU beat the horns, I think OU would have been #1 over Clemson.

It is a defacto penalty putting in MSU over OU. Both of us had a bad loss. It's not an egregious injustice but it is definitely a purposeful move by the committee that is not in OU's favor.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2015, 02:36 PM
It is a defacto penalty putting in MSU over OU. Both of us had a bad loss. It's not an egregious injustice but it is definitely a purposeful move by the committee that is not in OU's favor.

You could look at it that way. It's the double edged sword as I've said many times. Had Stanford beaten UO and been in the mix, it wouldn't have helped them much to have a CCG rematch with 8-4 USC. In this case it gave MSU another quality win against Iowa which probably made the difference. But they had to score with 30 seconds left in a drive that included converting 4th down by 6" or they would have been eliminated, while OU got to sit home with no risk of losing or getting a player hurt. The conference has only 10 teams and that's the way it goes - enjoy the benefits and don't whine about the down side.

SoonerorLater
12/6/2015, 03:20 PM
You could look at it that way. It's the double edged sword as I've said many times. Had Stanford beaten UO and been in the mix, it wouldn't have helped them much to have a CCG rematch with 8-4 USC. In this case it gave MSU another quality win against Iowa which probably made the difference. But they had to score with 30 seconds left in a drive that included converting 4th down by 6" or they would have been eliminated, while OU got to sit home with no risk of losing or getting a player hurt. The conference has only 10 teams and that's the way it goes - enjoy the benefits and don't whine about the down side.

The CCG is the biggest red herring ever in college football. Yes, we are a 10 team league but we play nine conference games just like every other team in the playoff did this year. No opportunity to get a scheduling anomaly. Would it really prove strength to skip playing 2-3 teams in the opposite division and schedule another Louisiana Monroe or the equivalent? That is exactly what the other teams in the playoffs did.

I would really like to hear a detailed explanation from the committee how year in and year out why this would be perceived as being a softer path to the playoffs. ie. Iowa avoided playing tOSU, Mich, Mich St. in the regular season.

swardboy
12/6/2015, 03:37 PM
^ Exactly my thoughts. Win your WHOLE conference....not half of it.

Soonerjeepman
12/6/2015, 03:41 PM
The CCG is the biggest red herring ever in college football. Yes, we are a 10 team league but we play nine conference games just like every other team in the playoff did this year. No opportunity to get a scheduling anomaly. Would it really prove strength to skip playing 2-3 teams in the opposite division and schedule another Louisiana Monroe or the equivalent? That is exactly what the other teams in the playoffs did.

I would really like to hear a detailed explanation from the committee how year in and year out why this would be perceived as being a softer path to the playoffs. ie. Iowa avoided playing tOSU, Mich, Mich St. in the regular season.

exactly...and then having msu barely beat them...how in the hell are they even #4?

I'm happy we got in...have to just go kick everyone's a$$...lol.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/6/2015, 07:47 PM
The weirdest part of the CCG argument is that we CAN'T have one per NCAA rules. During the BCS era, it pushed a big 12 team out of contention 5 times (Nebraska, KState, Texas, Mizzou, Colorado). It would be different if it were an 8 team playoff -> 6 automatic bids (P5 + highest non P5) with 2 at large, but it isn't.

Soonerjeepman
12/6/2015, 07:54 PM
The weirdest part of the CCG argument is that we CAN'T have one per NCAA rules. During the BCS era, it pushed a big 12 team out of contention 5 times (Nebraska, KState, Texas, Mizzou, Colorado). It would be different if it were an 8 team playoff -> 6 automatic bids (P5 + highest non P5) with 2 at large, but it isn't.

that and when WE had one and several didn't, it didn't matter...supposedly. To not have one.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2015, 08:14 PM
We lucked out with the BCS formula on '03 when the CCG didn't knock us out of the final - KSU smoked us. That enraged so many fans nationally, they changed the formula to make it unlikely to happen again.

Soonerjeepman
12/7/2015, 12:33 PM
honestly, looking at the CFP rankings...(I know not the end all..BUT pretty close)

Msu should be 2, beat #5, 7, 14, 15
OU should be 3rd beat #11, 16, 17, 23
Bama should be 3rd beat #19, 20, 23 lost to #12

why they get a pass is beyond me.