PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 recruiting: OU up, OSU uh oh

badger
12/4/2015, 09:53 AM
So a Tulsa area (Collinsville specifically) 4-star linebacker recruit just decommitted from OSU and rumor has it he's heading to OU instead :)
Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/osu-sports-collinsville-linebacker-levi-draper-rescinds-his-commitment-to/article_caaedd10-149d-53bb-ad70-0b22cba460e2.html)

It is at least the second OSU decommit since Saturday's blowout :stunned:

ESPN also had a fun read on how OU can fix the Big 12's recent recruiting woes.
Link (http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/insider/post?id=107347)

The Big 12 has struggled on the national recruiting trail for a while now, but that could quickly change if Oklahoma is able to make a run in the College Football Playoff. Missouri’s recruits continue to be in recruiting purgatory and the Jacob Eason watch continues for Georgia fans.

1. The Big 12 has a national recruiting perception problem. With signing day around two months away, collectively the Big 12 has still yet to land a five-star recruit for the fifth straight class, and trails behind every other Power 5 conference in number of ESPN 300 commitments, and that number isn’t even close. (For those keeping track, as of Wednesday morning the Big 12 had 19 ESPN 300 commits, behind the ACC and the Pac-12 with 31, Big Ten with 38 and SEC with 74.)

I know five stars don't always pan out for OU or others, but fun read on this "bye" week

CowboyMRW
12/4/2015, 10:13 AM
OSU, OU, Baylor, Tech, and Texas have all brought in at least one 5* these last 5 years.

Secondly to Levi Draper specifically, most people thought he was OU bound from the get-go. He committed to us out of spite since Mike Stoops was an absolute *** on his visit to him. Every reasonable OSU fan saw the writing on the wall immediately, and to even the most orange sunshine pumpers, once Bosworth got involved they knew it was over.

badger
12/4/2015, 11:33 AM
Cheer, up, MRW. It's basketball season now.

oh wait

oupride
12/4/2015, 11:50 AM
58-23

CowboyMRW
12/4/2015, 12:46 PM
Cheer, up, MRW. It's basketball season now.

oh wait

The kid is a helluva player, but I'm not salty about losing him. He was never ours anyway.

Doug Gottlieb will be here next year to coach, and there is some pretty good talent on the team, and hopefully a real coach can utilize it.

CowboyMRW
12/4/2015, 12:48 PM
58-23

Congrats on the *** beating

dwarthog
12/4/2015, 12:49 PM
So a Tulsa area (Collinsville specifically) 4-star linebacker recruit just decommitted from OSU and rumor has it he's heading to OU instead :)
Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/osu-sports-collinsville-linebacker-levi-draper-rescinds-his-commitment-to/article_caaedd10-149d-53bb-ad70-0b22cba460e2.html)

It is at least the second OSU decommit since Saturday's blowout :stunned:

ESPN also had a fun read on how OU can fix the Big 12's recent recruiting woes.
Link (http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/insider/post?id=107347)

I know five stars don't always pan out for OU or others, but fun read on this "bye" week

How are those 5 stars panning for those SEC schools?

badger
12/4/2015, 12:59 PM
How are those 5 stars panning for those SEC schools?
Easy question to answer: Every SEC recruit has five stars, so simply look at each team's record. Since we can assume Alabama is the only SEC team since that's the only one ESPN ever mentions, all of the SEC's five-star recruits are headed for the playoff after winning the SEC title.

Doug Gottlieb will be here next year to coach, and there is some pretty good talent on the team, and hopefully a real coach can utilize it

Did you type that with a straight face

swardboy
12/4/2015, 01:04 PM
I believe a tackle from Webb City, Missouri decommitted from Missouri to go to OU.

OT Tristan Castillo 6'4" 280 lbs. All-State selection by coaches in 2014.

CowboyMRW
12/4/2015, 01:45 PM
Easy question to answer: Every SEC recruit has five stars, so simply look at each team's record. Since we can assume Alabama is the only SEC team since that's the only one ESPN ever mentions, all of the SEC's five-star recruits are headed for the playoff after winning the SEC title.

Did you type that with a straight face

Which part? There is talent on the team, they just are fundamentally bad. Everyone knows Ford is gone after this year, and I think Holder will have to go with a name to get people to come back. For whatever reason, OSU fans in any sport, will only support an alum as a coach, so I think it'll be Gottlieb, and I think he can be a pretty good coach. We have the facilities to match up with anyone in the nation, now we need the coaching and fan support.

Soonerjeepman
12/4/2015, 02:14 PM
I think it'll be Gottlieb, and I think he can be a pretty good coach. We have the facilities to match up with anyone in the nation, now we need the coaching and fan support.

interesting...didn't know he wanted to coach. Serious question..has he ever coached? I though he was only a commentator.

badger
12/4/2015, 02:15 PM
Which part?

The part where you suggested an alum with no coaching experience (I even checked his Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Gottlieb) for anything obscure) is a "real coach" that OSU will hire to resurrect the program of Henry Iba and Eddie Sutton.

Not that I'd mind as an OU fan, mind you. Just wait until he starts appearing in ads for OSU's official credit card. Hell, maybe they'll plaster his face on it

CowboyMRW
12/4/2015, 02:20 PM
interesting...didn't know he wanted to coach. Serious question..has he ever coached? I though he was only a commentator.

He's wanted to coach for awhile, but no, he has not ever coached before. There was a lot of push for him to get the KState job after Martin left. Many people thought he had it wrapped up before they ended up going with Weber.

He played PG under Eddie, and his dad was a big time HS coach in California and his brother coaches somewhere, so he knows the game pretty well. Plus I think he's a pretty good commentator when I watch him do games.

I honestly think that he's the only one that could bring fans back though, especially since Self isn't coming back. I see him as maybe a Hoiberg hire, as in high risk / high reward. Would be nice to see Bedlams mean something again.

FaninAma
12/4/2015, 02:26 PM
OSU, OU, Baylor, Tech, and Texas have all brought in at least one 5* these last 5 years.

Secondly to Levi Draper specifically, most people thought he was OU bound from the get-go. He committed to us out of spite since Mike Stoops was an absolute *** on his visit to him. Every reasonable OSU fan saw the writing on the wall immediately, and to even the most orange sunshine pumpers, once Bosworth got involved they knew it was over.

Mike Stoops acting like an ***? Say it ain't so! LOL. Actually Mike has been very nice the only 2 times I have met him. Bob, on the other hand, was not very personable and he is known to show his *** from time to time.

Soonerjeepman
12/4/2015, 02:27 PM
ah, I agree, I've like his commentating...just didn't think he had any experience. You really think the alumni would go for that? I understand the alumni thing (think john blake at OU--ugh) but I see osu's basketball rep being better than an alumni guy (no matter how good) who has no coaching experience...just my 2 cents

Soonerjeepman
12/4/2015, 02:29 PM
Mike Stoops acting like an ***? Say it ain't so! LOL. Actually Mike has been very nice the only 2 times I have met him. Bob, on the other hand, was not very personable and he is known to show his *** from time to time.

actually met Mike in Wichita, I was coaching HS bball and we were in a tournament that had a kid from Garden City, Zona was there to recruit him for football, like 3 coaches..lol. I thought it was Mike, so I went up to him and talk for a few. He seemed decent then. Course I also never blew coverage on a route either...

CowboyMRW
12/4/2015, 02:56 PM
ah, I agree, I've like his commentating...just didn't think he had any experience. You really think the alumni would go for that? I understand the alumni thing (think john blake at OU--ugh) but I see osu's basketball rep being better than an alumni guy (no matter how good) who has no coaching experience...just my 2 cents

I love OSU basketball. It was my dream growing up to play there, i definitely was not good enough though. I would honestly take a full GIA every night and a basketball NC over a football NC personally.

But now, no one goes, and I mean no one. That's gonna be a huge red flag to hire any type of decent coach that has other options. So I think Holder's first priority has to be filling the stadium, and at OSU, the only way to do it is a well known alum I think.

Kinda crazy to think about, but if that 2005 class had fully made it to campus and stayed a couple years how different we are today. Or if Holder had hired Brad Stevens instead of Ford.

CowboyMRW
12/4/2015, 03:01 PM

I think it was Richt who came in and met with Draper and said, "We don't need to watch any of your latest film, we are gonna offer you on the spot." The next day, Mike came in and basically told him that he's watched film, but isn't sure if he's going to offer. He was going on vacation this next week, and would mull the possible offer over and let Levi know when he gets back.

Mike gets back to Norman and Bob asks how it went and if he offered, and Mike told Bob about it and Bob ripped into his ***. Bob personally took over his recruitment that day, and has been his lead recruiter since.

With Levi and the other three 5* LBs you have, do you anticipate moving to a 4-3 or staying at a 3-4. I don't really see any pure pass rushers on your team like Striker is, but a 3-4 is the best way to maximize that ridiculous LB talent.

soonergirlNeugene
12/4/2015, 03:08 PM
That second link is one of those ESPN insider articles. I just can't bring myself to give them money.

Piware
12/4/2015, 05:16 PM
I believe a tackle from Webb City, Missouri decommitted from Missouri to go to OU.

OT Tristan Castillo 6'4" 280 lbs. All-State selection by coaches in 2014.

Good for him. Glad we got him but no kid of mine would go to Mizzou for anything. Coach gone, campus run by anarchists and a stink college town 70 miles from anything does not a recruiting center make.

Piware
12/4/2015, 05:21 PM
I love OSU basketball. It was my dream growing up to play there, i definitely was not good enough though. I would honestly take a full GIA every night and a basketball NC over a football NC personally.

But now, no one goes, and I mean no one. That's gonna be a huge red flag to hire any type of decent coach that has other options. So I think Holder's first priority has to be filling the stadium, and at OSU, the only way to do it is a well known alum I think.

Kinda crazy to think about, but if that 2005 class had fully made it to campus and stayed a couple years how different we are today. Or if Holder had hired Brad Stevens instead of Ford.

If wishes were dishes you would have a full set. One of these days T. Bone, your well known alum, is either going to croak or get tired of writing checks only to see his money blown. Until Holder can fill that dinky stadium without opposing fans, which you all bitch incessantly about, I would suggest you don't hold your breath.

Soonerjeepman
12/4/2015, 05:27 PM

the only prob is DG might fill the stands up in a pinch, but if he isn't good enough, his long term contract...I'd imagine 5 yrs min...will be a burden in year 4/5 if he sucks. I think osu is still a good job in the basketball arena. The Big 12 is a very good league and osu is in the top half. ku, isu, ou, ut...then osu, ksu, bu, wv...tcu, tt.

badger
12/6/2015, 09:03 PM
For what it's worth, Travis fords contract is through 2019 and as of March, $9.6 million still owed.

Since this is the football forum, I hope this adds context to why gundy leaving rumors for arky, tenny and elsewhere were so plausible. They gave Ford a 10-year extension after 2009's 23-12 season, but Gundy winning the big 12 and fiesta bowl and setting football season ticket records led to lowball extension offers.

OKLAST is not just an unintentionally funny abbreviation

yermom
12/6/2015, 09:50 PM
They need to make sure Gundy is happy. They got lucky with that one. Anyone else would be gone by now.

OSU competing for conference titles?

Jimmy Johnson didn't even win one there before bolting for a better offer.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/6/2015, 11:33 PM

2 Things

1. Texas A&M has 5 5* players on their roster right now (including our transfer RB and all 3 of their starting WRs). They consider their WRs and RBs to be subpar. 5*s tend to do well when surrounded by a lot of hard working guys, they just normally aren't the ones to get other to work.

2. Your signature with zero olympians is just stupid. We had 13 olympians in the last olympics alone.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/7/2015, 12:00 AM
...Your signature with OU having zero olympians is just stupid. We had 13 olympians in the last olympics alone.Are you saying a proud aggy has made a glaring, almost inexplicable error in his sig?HOW COULD THAT BE!?!?

(or, did he expect us or anyone for that matter, to have olympians in American Football?)

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2015, 12:29 AM
You guys still falling for Cowboy's signature thing? And you're old timers around here. :sneakiness:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/7/2015, 01:18 AM
You guys still falling for Cowboy's signature thing? And you're old timers around here. :sneakiness:
Tell us your version of the clever part of his signature.

badger
12/7/2015, 10:45 AM
Tell us your version of the clever part of his signature
Here's my version: OU beats OSU a lot and one time when OU beat OSU, I made him change his avatar, sig and profile to Wrestling > Football gibberish that was guaranteed to get a rise out of OU fans seeing it for the first time. The effects were so funny that he has just left it up for about 3 years now and it continues drawing OU fan outrage, including someone naming very specific specifics on an OU football player that participated in the Olympics :P

So once again, the sig line is the gift that keeps on giving. Merry Christmas! :stunned:

badger
12/7/2015, 10:49 AM
They need to make sure Gundy is happy

I think that he is now. Gundy has made it publicly known that he prefers cupcakes to the non-conference neutral sites of name opponents like Florida State and Mississippi State the past few years, so he was probably very happy with Central Arkansas, Central Michigan and UTSA, even if Central Michigan was hosted by the Chippewas on opening week.

They also gave him a competitively paid contract extension befitting of a Poke coach that has done all Boone could have hoped and dreamed for in a place formerly nicknamed Rustoleum. While the Travis Ford contract comparison might make it befuddling, I think it was the Ford contract that made them hesitate to extend a coach after a successful season. Are we getting stuck with another Ford contract if we extend Gundy after this dream 2011 season?

It has worked out for both OU and OSU (this season, at least) that Gundy stayed. OSU gave OU a quality win to close out a conference championship season on the road, and OSU sneaked into the Sugar Bowl.

Altogether now: THANKS BAYLOR!!!!!!