PDA

View Full Version : Sooners #2 in Sagarin's

oupride
12/2/2015, 11:05 AM
Although it has NOTHING to do with anything.
http://www.sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

1. Alabama
2. Oklahoma
3. Ohio State
4. Clemson

Michigan State and Iowa not in the top ten.

swardboy
12/2/2015, 11:38 AM
the matchup with Alabama is coming...AGAIN. I don't know if my ticker can take another one.

BigTip
12/2/2015, 01:43 PM
I thought we might have been number one on this list considering how well most of our opponents have done.
I am surprised at Alabama being number one. Playing Charleston Southern (for gawd sakes!) should knock any team down a few notches.

rock on sooner
12/2/2015, 02:18 PM
I think there will be some surprises this weekend in all the CCG's so there
will be some shuffling...in Sagarin AND CFP.....

Soonerjeepman
12/2/2015, 03:18 PM
I thought we might have been number one on this list considering how well most of our opponents have done.
I am surprised at Alabama being number one. Playing Charleston Southern (for gawd sakes!) should knock any team down a few notches.

and ULM..they are 1-10 this year...

smackramensooner
12/2/2015, 03:33 PM

This surprises me as well. Not only is their non-conference garbage (even Wisconsin is down this year), but the SEC West is WAY down. I'm just not sure how they come to the conclusion that Bama's schedule is tougher than OU. I could argue that Bama's best win was against Tennessee (at home), while OU's 4th best win was against them in their own backyard.

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2015, 04:34 PM
This surprises me as well. Not only is their non-conference garbage (even Wisconsin is down this year), but the SEC West is WAY down. I'm just not sure how they come to the conclusion that Bama's schedule is tougher than OU. I could argue that Bama's best win was against Tennessee (at home), while OU's 4th best win was against them in their own backyard.

It's just a formula and a blend of 3 ratings at that - OU is first in 1 formula and 2nd in the other 2, while Bama is 1st in 2 of them and second in the third, but it's a thin margin in all 3. I'm sure you can look up the details of all the formulas. My guess of what tips the scales is how weak the horns are vs. Ole Miss - the respective losses. Also, the bottom of the big12 is very weak, perhaps numerically weaker than the bottom of the SEC that Bama played.

I find the Sagarin rankings pretty interesting as they generally agree with the eye test by the end of the season. They can produce some pretty wild rankings early in the season when the data is thin. But I wouldn't place to much faith in them (as in betting faith) because the formula doesn't understand match-ups and of course, injuries. (Where should OU be ranked with TK at QB, for example).

Widescreen
12/2/2015, 05:37 PM
(Where should OU be ranked with TK at QB, for example).
That would be borne out in a bad record so all of this would be moot.

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2015, 06:18 PM
That would be borne out in a bad record so all of this would be moot.

Not necessarily. It could skew power rankings low unfairly. For example, if that 2 point conversion by TCU had succeeded, would OU be a weaker team on the field today? No - but we all know *why* TCU got so close. Conversely, if Bama man-handles the Gators next week as expected, but Henry gets hurt late in the game and is out of the CFP, it wouldn't hurt their power ranking but we know they would be a lesser team.

BigTip
12/2/2015, 09:16 PM
(Where should OU be ranked with TK at QB, for example).

Damn how I hate to see this in writting.

It is so true, of course, but I just hate that it's apparently a fact.

Okie35
12/2/2015, 09:34 PM
the matchup with Alabama is coming...AGAIN. I don't know if my ticker can take another one.

We were going to play either Clemson or Bama that was a given. You it'll be great if played both and beat both. Talk about redemption.

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2015, 10:08 PM

I've seen those maps that show obesity rates and heart disease rates by state, and Alabama has more problems in those areas than Oklahoma. So statistically, they will lose more fans than we do, so take some comfort in that.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/2/2015, 10:34 PM
I've seen those maps that show obesity rates and heart disease rates by state, and Alabama has more problems in those areas than Oklahoma. So statistically, they will lose more fans than we do, so take some comfort in that.
^^this^^

hornswaggled
12/3/2015, 01:25 AM
I'm looking forward to an OU v Ala. match. Sooners have beaten Bama before Saban and every time after he took over. The talent is pretty well matched. If our defense can tackle Henry, their only serious run attack, then the OU defense will crush them. If it becomes an offensive game then it becomes a battle between Baker Mayfield against their non passing, fall on his assing QB. I like our chances.

Skysooner
12/4/2015, 09:51 PM
538 blog has the Sooners at 42% to win the championship (highest of any team).

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/college-football-playoff-predictions-week-13/