PDA

View Full Version : Heisman trip worth the distraction for Baker and team?

SoonernAR
11/30/2015, 08:11 PM
If Henry is gonna win it then why bother going? The prestige of being considered is just not worth it. I would prefer he just thank the committee and stay home and focus on winning a national championship. :triumphant:

BigTip
11/30/2015, 08:34 PM
Disagree.
It is no more a distraction than it has been.
It also lays the groundwork for next year.
And it helps a school for one of their own to win a Heisman. So it's even worth a small "sacrifice" but I don't think there is one.

BoulderSooner79
11/30/2015, 09:04 PM
The real distraction is for the winner. There are all sorts of follow-up interviews and talk show appearances.

SoonerMarkVA
11/30/2015, 10:19 PM
And the chance to win a Heisman is a major recruiting tool, much like putting lots of players into the league. Good for OU to have a presence in NY for near-term recruiting, and more player statues long-term.

SoonernAR
11/30/2015, 10:43 PM
Good points, maybe I'm just upset that a cheapshot by Ty Summers probably really cost him a legitimate chance to win it.

Therealsouthsider
11/30/2015, 10:47 PM
....yes, it's worth it's weight in gold

ss

jiminy
11/30/2015, 11:26 PM
Only problem I have is we are 1-3 in postseason games where we have a Heisman finalist under Stoops, with Heupel being the 1.

yermom
11/30/2015, 11:48 PM
it didn't seem to bother sCAM Newton, St. Tebow or that guy that played that game that didn't happen.

SoCalBigRed
12/1/2015, 01:57 AM
I personally think that cheap shot, proved his value and worthiness of the Heisman.

If anyone was paying attention to the osu game, prior to the kickoff, they were discussing the letdown in the 2nd half against TCU, and that "Even the Defense felt his absence on the field. He's an emotional leader."

Had Baker played the whole TCU game, its not even close. Him standing on the sidelines ticked off, because he can't play... to have to rub off to that extent (and it was obvious to us all), says everything.

But, that's OK. I like OU better, when they play with a chip on their shoulders.

Jacie
12/1/2015, 07:10 AM
He earned this one.

yermom
12/1/2015, 09:19 AM
I think the week off and Henry's Iron Bowl makes Baker a real long shot, unless Florida bottles him up and wins the SEC championship game

Baker had a great game against OSU, but the stats weren't there

Retelling his story again on national TV can only be good for us though, right?

BermudaSooner
12/1/2015, 11:21 AM
Going is definitely worth it...so he can practice is speach for next year.

oupride
12/1/2015, 11:24 AM

Ditto.

soonercastor
12/1/2015, 09:52 PM
yeah this is kind of selfish. Not only does he deserve it, it's also a great recruiting tool and exposure for the team.
OU is getting his face out there this week in the media (bunch of interviews) for publicity to make sure he gets that trip

swardboy
12/1/2015, 10:04 PM
If we couild've gotten Baker on "Dancing With the Stars" this would be a slam-dunk.

Okie35
12/1/2015, 10:17 PM

^^^^ this guy gets it

SoonernAR
12/2/2015, 12:35 AM
Ya know, the question about the Heisman winner should be about what he means to his team. Taking nothing away from Henry but Baker on the field takes OU from a good team to beiing great.