PDA

View Full Version : Curly Bill's mea culpa...

Curly Bill
11/29/2015, 06:11 PM
As someone who has been pretty critical of Bob and the state of the program over the past several years, and as someone who after the Texas game was ready to lose 3-4 more games and clean out the coaching staff, I now must say that first off I'm surprised we've done what we've done, I'm pleased we've done what we've done, and I'm prepared to walk back my fire Stoops and everyone else thinking for the time being. ;)

So...I hope we end the season with the national championship - that is the ultimate goal of top tier football programs. I hope recruiting goes well, and I look forward to going into next season with a renewed sense of faith in what OU football can accomplish.

Flagstaffsooner
11/29/2015, 06:39 PM
You are forgiven.:cheerful:

Curly Bill
11/29/2015, 06:46 PM
Thank you!

I'm still ready to raise hell at the next sign of weakness though! ;)

Flagstaffsooner
11/29/2015, 06:52 PM
Sure we are all a-holes anyway. And you are still dead!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2015, 06:55 PM
Thank you!

I'm still ready to raise hell at the next sign of weakness though! ;)

You won't have to wait long, I was looking at our roster and it is in gawd awful shape

SoonerorLater
11/29/2015, 07:01 PM
You won't have to wait long, I was looking at our roster and it is in gawd awful shape

:numbness:

Curly Bill
11/29/2015, 07:37 PM

Tell us more!

SoonerMarkVA
11/29/2015, 08:04 PM

I can certainly see that for QB and WR, as if that weren't enough. But are you seeing more than that?

BoulderSooner79
11/29/2015, 08:24 PM
I can certainly see that for QB and WR, as if that weren't enough. But are you seeing more than that?

Mayfield is back for at least next year, so how far we looking down the road? Also, don't see what's so terrible about the roster. jkm can claim that he was right about so many things, yet they are so negative, that there is no way it adds up to an 11-1 season and conf title.

TheUnnamedSooner
11/29/2015, 08:31 PM

Can you expand on that please?

SoonerorLater
11/29/2015, 08:41 PM
A drive-by with a pause for dramatic effect?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2015, 08:53 PM
I evaluate our roster based on playmakers.

RSr - Only losing Kasitati -> this is good
Sr - Losing Bond, Striker, Tapper, Shepard, Darlington, Neal -> Ouch 4 of our top playmakers + our center (which always hurts more than it should)

Now JRs

Likely Transfers -> Connor/Trevor Knight, Daniel Brooks, Alex Ross

Draft Eligible Playmakers (we always lose someone critical here) -> Sanchez, Jordan Wade, Alexander, Evans, Mayfield, Romar, Charles Walker

The problem is there is no one who has shown anything behind our SR playmakers. If we roll snake eyes and lose some of those draft eligible defensive players we could be in trouble because there isn't anyone behind them either.

BoulderSooner79
11/29/2015, 09:07 PM
I don't see us losing many of those draft eligible players unless they don't care about their projections.

SoonerorLater
11/29/2015, 09:10 PM
Alexander seems the only somewhat likely loss. Transfers, who knows but none would be devastating.

SoonerMarkVA
11/29/2015, 09:14 PM
Mayfield is back for at least next year, so how far we looking down the road? Also, don't see what's so terrible about the roster. jkm can claim that he was right about so many things, yet they are so negative, that there is no way it adds up to an 11-1 season and conf title.

I meant the roster at QB other than Mayfield. I would say the same about the roster at WR other than Shepard. I was very hopeful that some of the young receivers would step up, but no one has, other than flashes here and there.

They need to dust off ol' Spurrier Jr's tennis ball machine, me thinks. :glee:

cherokeebrewer
11/29/2015, 09:18 PM
Losing Striker on defense and Shepard on offense hurts the most. As to the draft eligible players, I don't see any of those guys going...

SoonerMarkVA
11/29/2015, 09:20 PM

RSr - Only losing Kasitati -> this is good
Sr - Losing Bond, Striker, Tapper, Shepard, Darlington, Neal -> Ouch 4 of our top playmakers + our center (which always hurts more than it should)

Now JRs

Draft Eligible Playmakers (we always lose someone critical here) -> Sanchez, Jordan Wade, Alexander, Evans, Mayfield, Romar, Charles Walker

The problem is there is no one who has shown anything behind our SR playmakers. If we roll snake eyes and lose some of those draft eligible defensive players we could be in trouble because there isn't anyone behind them either.

Sanchez? I don't see him getting drafted. He's just not physical enough.

Losing Striker will definitely hurt.

Losing Shepard is a killer due to lack of development of any of the receiving core.

Oh, well. No sense worrying. Hopefully we win the whole thing (hey, X5s have historically been our best year for NCs :joyous:) and that gives us some serious mojo into recruiting the next 2 years.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2015, 11:31 PM
I think you guys are missing the point. Our current roster makeup has us losing everyone at a position at the same time.

This year, we are losing both pass rushers, 2 out of 3 interior linemen, and our best receiver.

The year after that, we are going to lose both running backs and most of our secondary.

Eielson
11/30/2015, 12:00 AM
I think JKM is just trying to pick up the slack for CB's lack of negativity.

cvsooner
11/30/2015, 04:59 PM

Now JRs

I really don't think the Knights transfer. TK9 even noted today this is where he's supposed to be. I can see him maybe shifting to receiver, maybe. I don't see Brooks transferring either. Ross, on the other hand, I could see that happening. In the right offense he'd be really good. Unfortunately we don't have one of them. He'd probably do better in the B1G or maybe the SEC.

Tear Down This Wall
11/30/2015, 05:29 PM

Plus, the odds of us playing three games in a row where the opponents' starting quarterbacks are out is pretty low as well. You take advantage of good luck when you can get it. We got it in spades in November from the Football Injury Gods...for a change. Normally, we're beat up and playing without starters in November.

SoCalBigRed
11/30/2015, 05:57 PM
You're concerned about the roster two years down the road?

You haven't any idea the level of talent, what that talent will be doing, etc.

How many picked Mayfield, to be in contention for the Heisman? How many predicted a 10-1 season and a role in the first ever playoffs?

Now we're projecting what we'll be next year, the year after, when most thought we were going to suck this year.

LMAO!

BoulderSooner79
11/30/2015, 06:34 PM
How many predicted a 10-1 season and a roll in the first ever playoffs?

LMAO!

11-1 season. The "11" is significant as in "my amp goes to 11".

SoCalBigRed
11/30/2015, 07:38 PM
11-1 season. The "11" is significant as in "my amp goes to 11".

Yes, my error! Props for the Spinal Tap reference.

kbsooner21
12/2/2015, 03:37 PM
nevermind

hornswaggled
12/3/2015, 03:49 AM
I think JKM is just trying to pick up the slack for CB's lack of negativity.

Yes, there is no doom left from the start of this season. Next season will surely make up for that.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/3/2015, 10:43 AM
You're concerned about the roster two years down the road?

You haven't any idea the level of talent, what that talent will be doing, etc.

How many picked Mayfield, to be in contention for the Heisman? How many predicted a 10-1 season and a role in the first ever playoffs?

Now we're projecting what we'll be next year, the year after, when most thought we were going to suck this year.

LMAO!

I think I pretty much pegged this year's team. What a lot of people don't understand is that Stoops runs in 4-5 year cycles because he overloads a class with players. You have a down year when a huge class graduates (think 2005/2009) and then the next huge class starts winning over the next 3 years. This year is the end of that cycle.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/3/2015, 10:44 AM
Yes, there is no doom left from the start of this season. Next season will surely make up for that.

Whoa, I thought we were an 11 win team this year.

BermudaSooner
12/3/2015, 11:22 AM
I think you guys are missing the point. Our current roster makeup has us losing everyone at a position at the same time.

This year, we are losing both pass rushers, 2 out of 3 interior linemen, and our best receiver.

The year after that, we are going to lose both running backs and most of our secondary.

If only there was a way to get more players....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/3/2015, 11:25 AM
If only there was a way to get more players....

The running back thing is minor, the other positions take this thing called time.

cherokeebrewer
12/3/2015, 11:56 AM
I think I pretty much pegged this year's team. What a lot of people don't understand is that Stoops runs in 4-5 year cycles because he overloads a class with players. You have a down year when a huge class graduates (think 2005/2009) and then the next huge class starts winning over the next 3 years. This year is the end of that cycle.

The future is now! Don't worry, be happy...

Since71ASooner4Life
12/3/2015, 04:08 PM
As someone who has been pretty critical of Bob and the state of the program over the past several years, and as someone who after the Texas game was ready to lose 3-4 more games and clean out the coaching staff, I now must say that first off I'm surprised we've done what we've done, I'm pleased we've done what we've done, and I'm prepared to walk back my fire Stoops and everyone else thinking for the time being. ;)

So...I hope we end the season with the national championship - that is the ultimate goal of top tier football programs. I hope recruiting goes well, and I look forward to going into next season with a renewed sense of faith in what OU football can accomplish.

I too ran my mouth after defending the coaches for many years, so I'm eating my words too. But whereas I've taken that embarrassed look in the mirror, I've also asked myself where we'd be if Baker Mayfield doesn't magically drop from the sky into our laps? No question the defense has been significantly improved over last year, but I think we also got some unpleasant insights and maybe an answer to that question during the 2nd half of TCU.

I guess I've concluded that sometimes emotions cloud my vision and I'm not as level headed as I'd like to believe I am. And nobody can cook a steak with hamburger

FaninAma
12/3/2015, 04:37 PM
You know I have been one of the biggest pessimists around but after this year I think player transitions/losses will be a lot smoother than in the past. Why you may ask? Because OU has a tremendously better assistant coaching staff than they have had the previous 5 years before this year. I have every confidence that LR can develop good talent at both the QB and WR position. I think Bedenbaugh will do the same with the OL. And I don't know whther the defensive improvement is due to a light bulb finally going off in MS' head or if the new hires on the defensive side of the ball are the reason that unit is playing better. I think it is probably a combination of both.

My only concerns are the loss of our best assistant coaches and the inability to evaluate talent in the next 2 years because OU's success this year and next will fill the recruiting cuoboards with lots of talent if the coaches can choose right candidates. Even in this area I think LR, Bedenbaugh and the new defensive assistants are much better at evaluating talent.

I have always thought that good coaching makes up for a lot of player deficiencies. Sure you need good players but all things being equal I think coaching ability carries the day and the current Sooner caoching staff is one of the best(if not THE best) in the nation.

Eielson
12/6/2015, 12:02 AM
I think I pretty much pegged this year's team.

LOLOLOL

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/6/2015, 01:39 AM
LOLOLOL

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?188243-Random-Observations-Fact-Checker

I probably had better overall predictions in 2001-2004. Those teams were a lot easier to get a feel for earlier though.

Eielson
12/6/2015, 01:34 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?188243-Random-Observations-Fact-Checker

I probably had better overall predictions in 2001-2004. Those teams were a lot easier to get a feel for earlier though.

That post was from about a week ago?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/6/2015, 03:05 PM
That post was from about a week ago?

all of the quotes were from Week 1 and Week 2. that post was just seeing how well i did (like usual)