PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that wants the 4 seed?

JLEW1818
11/29/2015, 05:17 PM
Assuming that Clemson remains the 1 seed?
I'd still rather play Clemson in Miami, than Bama in Dallas.
Let Michigan State take their chances with Bama, and give us a Clemson rematch!!

I know you gotta win them both, but I would rather get Clemson first.

BoulderSooner79
11/29/2015, 05:24 PM
No.

I mean you're not the only one - I think that would be ideal from a match-up point of view for OU. But if everything plays out as expected, I think that Clemson, Bama and MSU are all better or at least more complete teams than we have played so far. There is no easy path. Last year, FSU never looked like a great team and the Ducks had too many injuries to compete going into the CFP. It was clear to me that the Bama/tOSU semi was the real championship game with the FSU/UO winner being fodder in the final. I don't see that this year unless MSU or Clemson get upset.

OklaPony
11/29/2015, 05:24 PM
I think you're out of your mind. We want to play in Arlington regardless of the opponent.

yermom
11/29/2015, 05:29 PM
Yep. I think that's likely why we end up in Miami

pac10SUX
11/29/2015, 05:42 PM
JLEW, I agree. Playing Clemson is more like a B12 team than the others and would give us a chance to get OUr groove back after a month off. Then put the big hurt on whoever wins the other semi. Although it would be great if we could play Clemson in Arlington in OUr first semi but not likely.

BoulderSooner79
11/29/2015, 05:43 PM
God, this is a great discussion to be having. :triumphant:

yermom
11/29/2015, 05:46 PM
Yes. I have missed the real post season for a few years now :)

SoonerorLater
11/29/2015, 05:52 PM
In the end I don't think it matters. You need 2 wins no matter what. I'm sure the thought process for most people is Alabama is the best team. They well may be but truth is there isn't that much difference between these teams. There is a reasonably good chance of meeting Alabama no matter what. Would you rather play them in Arlington or later in AZ?

Okie35
11/29/2015, 05:56 PM
So 1/4 seeds play in Miami? I was trying to figure out what seeds play where.

soonercastor
11/29/2015, 06:02 PM
So 1/4 seeds play in Miami? I was trying to figure out what seeds play where.

No. Committee gives the 1-seed the site that fits them better geographically

FaninAma
11/29/2015, 07:16 PM
I don't think OU ends up as the #4 seed. I think we play in Jerry World.

JLEW1818
11/29/2015, 09:10 PM
Like Boulder said, I love that we can even have this convo!!! So let's enjoy it.

Here is the way I look at it....
Do you want to give Saban 30 days to prepare for OU, or 10 days?

BoulderSooner79
11/29/2015, 09:18 PM
Like Boulder said, I love that we can even have this convo!!! So let's enjoy it.

Here is the way I look at it....
Do you want to give Saban 30 days to prepare for OU, or 10 days?

10 days, no question. I still think our O-line will be the ultimate reason if we don't win 2. If Bama's front 7 is as good as advertised, it's the worst match-up for us of any team still in the race. tOSU may be the same story if they sneak in. We have 2 FR tackles and one of them a true freshman. I'm not being critical, just stating what we are working with.

badger
11/30/2015, 12:08 PM
I just want to be in. The tinfoil hats out there have to be wondering if after last year if the playoff committee isn't trying to justify Ohio State in the top four once again... just because Ohio State, y'know. Why Ohio State?

1- Because Ohio State is Ohio State
2- Because they only have one loss just like many other playoff teams will
3- Because they beat Michigan soundly at Michigan in their final game
4- Because they never got a chance to beat Iowa
5- Because Ohiooooooooooo Staaaaaaaaate (in whining voice)

BermudaSooner
12/1/2015, 11:37 AM
I want to play in Arlington, as I will have tickets for that game. Don't care who we play.

BoulderSooner79
12/1/2015, 11:42 AM
I want to play in Arlington, as I will have tickets for that game. Don't care who we play.

Make sure the committee is aware of this !

birddog
12/1/2015, 12:05 PM
I just want to be in. The tinfoil hats out there have to be wondering if after last year if the playoff committee isn't trying to justify Ohio State in the top four once again... just because Ohio State, y'know. Why Ohio State?

1- Because Ohio State is Ohio State
2- Because they only have one loss just like many other playoff teams will
3- Because they beat Michigan soundly at Michigan in their final game
4- Because they never got a chance to beat Iowa
5- Because Ohiooooooooooo Staaaaaaaaate (in whining voice)

Typically, yes. But iowa didnt have to play osu, msu, or, michigan this year yet they are playing msu for the big 1G championship. The committee screwed baylor and tcu out of the playoffs last year. We were told winning the conference was a big factor and we've really benefitted from it this year. Hell, it is a given we'll get in and the other big boys still need to play their champ. games.

OSU can **** off. They benefitted from a nice run last year.

MSU will stomp iowa with cook being healthy this wknd.
1 clemson
2 bama
3 msu
4 OU

delhalew
12/1/2015, 12:41 PM
I want Clemson in the big game. Better yet to beat Bama in Dallas for the opportunity.

Sooner in Tampa
12/2/2015, 12:22 PM
I don't care the seed or the opponent...I want OU in the Orange Bowl!! We have great history in that bowl...and it's closer to home :friendly_wink:

oupride
12/2/2015, 12:34 PM
But, but, what if Clemson loses this week and Alabamer is the #1???

tooslow
12/2/2015, 01:27 PM
I think the committee has set up their rankings to boost the Big 10 champ up to #3. I'd be surprised if we are still #3 on Sunday, if both Clemson and Bama win. I just want to see articles written that are giving us no chance to win. The players have performed great when the media/other teams have written them off. They seem to play with more passion and urgency when they have a chip on their shoulder. Now it feels like the week before the whorns game. Everyone's writing about how great they are and that they will be this year's Ohio State.

oupride
12/2/2015, 02:56 PM
Everyone's writing about how great they are and that they will be this year's Ohio State.

LINK?

tooslow
12/2/2015, 08:10 PM
LINK?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/11/29/9813100/oklahoma-oklahoma-state-ohio-state-playoff

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/11/oklahoma-has-the-chance-to-be-this-years-ohio-state

There's plenty more articles talking about their greatness, which I agree with. It's just that I'd rather them play with the attitude that they are going to prove the doubters wrong.

hornswaggled
12/3/2015, 01:55 AM
I want Clemson in the big game. Better yet to beat Bama in Dallas for the opportunity.

This^.

We gotta beat both of them. Sooners can scare the crap out of Clemson by beating Alabama, the team the tiggers don't want to face. OU has dominated Alabama forever. Let's get the bleeding tide out of the way. Then OU will make up for last year's underwear bowl, wherein the Sooners gave Clemson a reason to think they even matter.

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2015, 11:27 AM
OU has dominated Alabama forever.

If you mean beating the Saban era Alabama once in a tight game, then yes - dominated forever.

FaninAma
12/3/2015, 11:46 AM
The conventional wisdom among the talking heads is that OU is the hottest team right now. Putting them at #4 reeks of manipulation which the committee promised us they wouldn't do.

Pride1Mom
12/3/2015, 11:47 AM
Be careful what you wish for.....

tooslow
12/3/2015, 03:58 PM
Doomed!!! Hot off the press-

Playoff Simulation: Oklahoma title favorite

http://usat.ly/1XKmVdK

Soonerjeepman
12/3/2015, 04:40 PM
The conventional wisdom among the talking heads is that OU is the hottest team right now. Putting them at #4 reeks of manipulation which the committee promuised us they wouldn't do.

will we be in 4 weeks?

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2015, 05:11 PM
computers are taking into consideration we don't play this week. odds will increase for CCG winners, thus reducing ours

rock on sooner
12/3/2015, 05:20 PM
computers are taking into consideration we don't play this week. odds will increase for CCG winners, thus reducing ours

I still think there will be surprises this weekend and there'll be some shuffling...
saw a writeup about UNC and Clemson. An upset there and MSU handling Iowa
will make for interesting committee work. I think Bama will win but FL might
make it closer than the 17.5 spread......

cvsooner
12/3/2015, 07:23 PM
I keep seeing projections that being inactive this week will probably push us down to 4, which would be fine. I'd rather have Clemson with nearly a month to prepare and give Saban only a few days to prep for us, especially if Kirby Smart is headed out as a new head coach somewhere else. Besides, payback. Stop this, BV.

JLEW1818
12/6/2015, 12:33 PM
Got my wish

Soonerjeepman
12/6/2015, 12:36 PM
yup, I'm sure the baylor loss didn't help.

JLEW1818
12/6/2015, 12:39 PM
.@LVSuperBook opens both college football semifinals: Alabama -9 vs Michigan St & Oklahoma -2.5 vs Clemson #CFBPlayoffBound

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2015, 12:41 PM
yup, I'm sure the baylor loss didn't help.

Or hurt, most likely. Pretty much what was predicted all week.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2015, 12:48 PM
Seems appropo to me. We helped launch Clemson to center stage with the bowl game last season; now it's time to help them exit stage left.

FaninAma
12/6/2015, 01:16 PM
Got my wish

so you are happy a lot of Sooner fans can't afford to attend and that Clemson fans will outnumber us 4:1 at the most important game for the program in the last 8 years? Should have left my initial reply up.

JLEW1818
12/6/2015, 01:26 PM
Is it really that much more expensive for Oklahoma Fans?

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2015, 01:28 PM
so you are happy a lot of Sooner fans can't afford to attend and that Clemson fans will outnumber us 4:1 at the most important game for the program in the last 8 years? Should have left my initial reply up.

Will it help the cause if JLEW is sad? If so, let's neg him into despair.

Eielson
12/6/2015, 01:33 PM

Time and money. Driving down to Arlington is much easier than Miami.

I'm not just saying this as a theoretical scenario. I'd had my mind set to go to the game in Arlington, but won't be able to make it to Miami.

FaninAma
12/6/2015, 01:37 PM
Really? Are you serious? Holy crap! A 3 hour drive v. Airline tickets and at least 2 extra nights of hotels.

FaninAma
12/6/2015, 01:39 PM
Time and money. Driving down to Arlington is much easier than Miami.

I'm not just saying this as a theoretical scenario. I'd had my mind set to go to the game in Arlington, but won't be able to make it to Miami.
Same here. I will jack up the price of the tickets I bought by $75 apiece so I guess I will get some satisfaction from the jackass Bama fans.

JLEW1818
12/6/2015, 01:40 PM
I'm comparing Clemson travel to Miami vs Oklahoma travel to Miami.
It's NYE in Miami. It's going to be expensive for everyone. Right?

You act like South Carolina is part of South Floridia.

JLEW1818
12/6/2015, 01:41 PM
And I would rather win the national title than go to a game. Yes I would have gone if it was in Dallas.
But I still think the 4 seed gives us the best chance to win #8.
I think anyone would agree with that.

Eielson
12/6/2015, 01:45 PM
And I would rather win the national title than go to a game. Yes I would have gone if it was in Dallas.

I think to win it all, we'd have to beat Alabama and Clemson either way. The only thing that changed was the order.

But agreed. I'd rather win it all rather than go to the game. I wanted both, though.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2015, 01:46 PM
After the end of last season and the first 5 games of this season, I'm just thrilled we made the CFP. Bitchin' about the seeding of the venue feels like whining about paying taxes after winning $100m lotto.

birddog
12/6/2015, 01:48 PM
Pretty interesting storylines for these games and im sure the committee took that into consideration. "Vulnerables" v his old team and coach. Saban v msu against his old school. Then the ultmate rematch of 2 of the top 5 teams in cfb history for the title if bama and we win.

hawaii 5-0
12/6/2015, 01:49 PM
I'm in agreement. Just sad a lotta Sooners won't make a Dallas trip. That's not winning the Championship is about tho.

Maybe Mich. St. can wear out Henry a little for us.

5-0

SoonerorLater
12/6/2015, 02:24 PM

I guess I'm the exception to 'anyone'. We didn't want to go to Miami.

FaninAma
12/6/2015, 02:38 PM
Will it help the cause if JLEW is sad? If so, let's neg him into despair.
LOL. I don't understand why he is happy. I may have underestimated how bad OU fans will be outnumbered. Apparently Clemson fans have purchased about 75-80% of the OB tickets already. Plus, we match up much better with Alabama. You can't win the NC if you don't get to the title game. The teams with the best QBs have a huge advantage in these type games. OU will face the 2nd best QB and the 2nd best team on essentially their home field.

JLEW1818
12/6/2015, 02:57 PM
1. I'm happy we made the playoff.
2. I'm happy we don't have to play probably the best college football coach of all time in the first round.
3. Let MSU bang up Henry 11 days before we have to play them, assuming we beat Clemson.
4. Why give Saban 25 days to prepare when you can only give him 11 days?

You act like this is an automatic loss to Clemson.
So why the **** does Vegas have OU opening as a 2.5 fav in Miami? Why? You act like its Clemson, Miami or something. Geez.
OU would not be favored against Bama in Dallas.

JLEW1818
12/6/2015, 02:59 PM
And I don't give a **** that you don't have the money to go Miami.

Okie35
12/6/2015, 03:22 PM

I didn't want to go to Miami that's it, horrible compared to Dallas. I'll buy my tickets to Glendale though :biggrin:

Eielson
12/6/2015, 03:23 PM
You act like this is an automatic loss to Clemson.
So why the **** does Vegas have OU opening as a 2.5 fav in Miami? Why? You act like its Clemson, Miami or something. Geez.

Are you actually talking to somebody, or randomly shouting out stuff? I don't think anybody sees Clemson as an automatic loss. The issue is that we were underseeded, and that we would much rather be heading to Dallas.

OU would not be favored against Bama in Dallas.

Yes we would.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2015, 03:26 PM
I don't see us as being under seeded. It's close with MSU, but I think their win against tOSU is better than any win we have.

Soonerjeepman
12/6/2015, 03:46 PM
I think the bu loss also hurt OU. I will add though...they said several folks on the committee voiced that OU should be #1..wow.

Stoops needs to put in the 2000 game against fsu IN FLORIDA. That ended very well!

Like Boulder said, if you had told me after the horn loss we'd be in the playoffs I'd been very happy...and am. BOOMER!

* okay, we had 1 "last second game"...tcu, without Baker, granted without Boykin and their receiver as well...BUT iowa and mich st had several last second games..just more thoughts

Eielson
12/6/2015, 04:08 PM
I don't see us as being under seeded. It's close with MSU, but I think their win against tOSU is better than any win we have.

Arguments could be made either way between Alabama, MSU, and OU, but I'm ultimately basing this off of where people would be willing to put their money. Last week I watched a video with 8 different guys (can't remember who it was with, but I remember Wannstedt and Leinart being on there), and 7 out of the 8 predicted OU would beat Alabama, and all 8 said that the winner of OU/Bama would go on to win the championship. Instead we're matched up against #1 Clemson, and are once again favored. When the lowest seed is favored over the highest seed, I tend to think one of the teams was underseeded, or the other one was overseeded.

MSU has a lot of quality wins, but they've never done so in convincing fashion, and they could very easily have 3-4 losses. I'd be willing to concede that they deserve some credit for pulling out all these close games, but it'd be silly to dismiss the heavy dose of luck. In no way did they deserve to win that Michigan game. MSU has six wins of 7 points or less (some of which are to teams like 2-10 Purdue). OU has two.

JLEW1818
12/6/2015, 04:10 PM
Eielson has always been the biggest **** ****** on this board.

And no we wouldn't be favored against Bama you stupid ****

Eielson
12/6/2015, 04:12 PM

Can't argue with that logic. Well done.

FaninAma
12/6/2015, 04:44 PM
Well, if you're too dense to recognize the advantage it is for Clemson to play close to home in front if a majority of their fans then you are, well, dense.

FaninAma
12/6/2015, 04:47 PM
Eielson has always been the biggest **** ****** on this board.

I guarantee you Bama fans are ecstatic thet they got MSU instead of OU.

OklaPony
12/6/2015, 04:56 PM
So why the **** does Vegas have OU opening as a 2.5 fav in Miami? Why?
Because that's how many points the bookies predict they will have to give away in order to get an even amount of money wagered on each side of the bet.

SoonerorLater
12/6/2015, 05:10 PM
Because that's how many points the bookies predict they will have to give away in order to get an even amount of money wagered on each side of the bet.

Right but that is because it is based on an underlying reality.

Okie35
12/6/2015, 05:17 PM
I guarantee you Bama fans are ecstatic thet they got MSU instead of OU.

They are.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2015, 05:25 PM
I don't really care who would have been favored. I'm talking about resume and MSU beat tOSU in the toughest of conditions - on the road and with their starting QB sitting on the bench. Yes they barely beat a few teams, but we barely, barely barely beat the Vols and TCU. If we had our starting QB sitting on the bench the whole game against TCU, we'd be discussing whether Stanford or tOSU should have gotten the last slot as we waited for our non-playoff bowl assignment.

I can't argue with any of the 4 teams or the order. Sure, I'd love for it to be rigged in our favor for both match-ups and venue, but I can't argue a rational reason why. I really like the tournament this year. I don't see any big heavies that can just over-power the other teams. Bama might be the closest with their front 7 on D, but they have their flaws too. This looks to be a more cerebral playoff instead of who has the most "beasts". The coaching staffs and their preparation work will make the difference.

FaninAma
12/6/2015, 06:31 PM
Here's another sobering thought about the crap for logic thinking the committee spewed out: if there had been a 1-loss PAC 12 champion OU would have been on the outside looking in. So here is the sobering reality. For the Big 12 champion to get in the playoff they have to be either undefeated or one of the other P-5 conferencechampions has to have multiple losses.

Eielson
12/6/2015, 06:59 PM
I don't really care who would have been favored. I'm talking about resume and MSU beat tOSU in the toughest of conditions - on the road and with their starting QB sitting on the bench. Yes they barely beat a few teams, but we barely, barely barely beat the Vols and TCU. If we had our starting QB sitting on the bench the whole game against TCU, we'd be discussing whether Stanford or tOSU should have gotten the last slot as we waited for our non-playoff bowl assignment.

We barely beat TCU and Tennessee, true. As I said, we had two close wins, and that's not uncommon. After all, Alabama barely beat that same Tennessee team, and they were at home. The difference is that MSU did that almost weekly. It's one thing to win a couple close games against top 25 teams, but beating teams like 2-10 Purdue by 3 an 4-8 Rutgers by 7 is different. MSU has about two convincing wins all year, while OU has about eight.

Sooner in Tampa
12/7/2015, 09:32 AM
Rabble Rabble Rabble

The Sooners are going to Miami...and so am I!!! I don't get to see my boys play that often, so I am beyond stoked they are coming this way! I probably would have flown to Dallas, but Miami is much cheaper for me.

FaninAma
12/7/2015, 10:22 AM
Rabble Rabble Rabble

The Sooners are going to Miami...and so am I!!! I don't get to see my boys play that often, so I am beyond stoked they are coming this way! I probably would have flown to Dallas, but Miami is much cheaper for me.

Well, you'll have to cheer loud to make up for the 5 or 6 fans that won't be there but would have been in Dallas in your place.

Sooner in Tampa
12/7/2015, 11:26 AM
Well, you'll have to cheer loud to make up for the 5 or 6 fans that won't be there but would have been in Dallas in your place.
Oh, we will be loud...I am rolling 6 deep as well...

Okie35
12/7/2015, 01:04 PM
DOOMED!!!:distrust:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/12/06/by-falling-to-no-4-oklahoma-huge-break-by-facing-no-1-clemson/

By falling to No. 4, Oklahoma gets a huge break by facing No. 1 Clemson

The final results are in: No.1 Clemson will play No. 4 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl while No. 2 Alabama and No. 3 Michigan State will face off in the Cotton Bowl. And if you are a fan of the Sooners, you should be relieved Oklahoma fell. Why? Because now the Sooners get get to face the weakest team in the field.

Clemson had a sparkling resume, going 13-0 with a convincing win over North Carolina in the ACC championship game. It is a record that, according to ESPN’s FPI, would only be achieved by an average top-25 team 2.1 percent of the time.

However, the Tigers aren’t as impressive as they look. According to the Simple Rating System, which adjusts margin of victory for strength of schedule, Clemson was the fourth best team in the country, 18.45 points per game better than average. Oklahoma, by comparison, was third with an SRS of 20.52. In other words, we would expect Oklahoma to beat Clemson by two points on a neutral field.

ESPN’s FPI, which represents how many points above or below average a team is, has Clemson No. 6 (21.3 FPI) and Oklahoma No. 1 (27.9). That means Oklahoma would again be favored by at least two points over any other team on a neutral field, Clemson included.

No.1 Clemson will play No. 4 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl

The final results are in: No.1 Clemson will play No. 4 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl while No. 2 Alabama and No. 3 Michigan State will face off in the Cotton Bowl. And if you are a fan of the Sooners, you should be relieved Oklahoma fell. Why? Because now the Sooners get get to face the weakest team in the field.

Clemson had a sparkling resume, going 13-0 with a convincing win over North Carolina in the ACC championship game. It is a record that, according to ESPN’s FPI, would only be achieved by an average top-25 team 2.1 percent of the time.

However, the Tigers aren’t as impressive as they look. According to the Simple Rating System, which adjusts margin of victory for strength of schedule, Clemson was the fourth best team in the country, 18.45 points per game better than average. Oklahoma, by comparison, was third with an SRS of 20.52. In other words, we would expect Oklahoma to beat Clemson by two points on a neutral field.

ESPN’s FPI, which represents how many points above or below average a team is, has Clemson No. 6 (21.3 FPI) and Oklahoma No. 1 (27.9). That means Oklahoma would again be favored by at least two points over any other team on a neutral field, Clemson included.

And those same FPI numbers put Clemson’s chances at winning a national championship at 17 percent, at least half of Oklahoma (39 percent) and Alabama (33 percent).

The oddsmakers in Vegas also agree, installing Oklahoma as a 3-point favorite.

Why the apparent disrespect for Clemson? A defense that looks better than it is.

Clemson held UNC’s star running back Elijah Hood to 65 yards and limited quarterback Marquise Williams to a 33 percent completion rate, but this unit was still only 7.0 points per game above average, the lowest among the four playoff teams.

Here’s why this hurts the Tigers.

According to The Fremeau Efficiency Index, Field Value Efficiency — the scoring value generated by a team’s starting field position, non-offensive turnovers and scores per possession — Clemson ranks 108th out of 128 teams while Oklahoma ranks 19th. The Sooners also have a better net starting field position (plus-3.2 vs. minus-3.8) and a lower percentage of short-field drives allowed (9.7 percent vs. 12.3 percent).

The Clemson offense, as efficient and proficient as it was, ranks 15th in opponent-adjusted drive efficiency while Oklahoma ranks 12th. So with two offenses almost identical in terms of adjusted output, Oklahoma gets the nod due to their superior defense.

FaninAma
12/7/2015, 03:33 PM
Lets hope Mike and Bob take this rematch with Brent personally.

cvsooner
12/7/2015, 04:00 PM
Lets hope Mike and Bob take this rematch with Brent personally.

I think that's a given. Bob carries a grudge until he buries you with it.

tooslow
1/1/2016, 12:08 PM
I think the committee has set up their rankings to boost the Big 10 champ up to #3. I'd be surprised if we are still #3 on Sunday, if both Clemson and Bama win. I just want to see articles written that are giving us no chance to win. The players have performed great when the media/other teams have written them off. They seem to play with more passion and urgency when they have a chip on their shoulder. Now it feels like the week before the whorns game. Everyone's writing about how great they are and that they will be this year's Ohio State.

Seems to happen just about every bowl game. Remember the Bama game where we were given no chance whatsoever to win? Dabo even mentioned that nobody outside of Clemson was giving them a chance. Until Bob figures out a way to keep a team motivated when there's a 4-5 week layoff, I'll expect similar results when we are playing a great team.

Eielson
1/1/2016, 12:47 PM
JLEW was wrong. Who woulda thought??

yermom
1/1/2016, 12:53 PM
Was he?

Would you rather have been blanked by Bama? :)

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2016, 01:05 PM
Was he?

Would you rather have been blanked by Bama? :)

^This. The Bama D would have pushed our O-line around more than Clemson did. Maybe we hold them to a few less points. I guess we could have had more fans present to go home thoroughly disappointed and wishing they had stayed home.

Eielson
1/11/2016, 11:29 PM
Regardless of who ends up winning this game, yermom and Boulder were both wrong, too.

BoulderSooner79
1/11/2016, 11:51 PM
Regardless of who ends up winning this game, yermom and Boulder were both wrong, too.

What, that Bama would have killed us too? Nothing about either of Bama's game will change my opinion about that. The only team we could have beat was MSU and it wouldn't have been easy.

Eielson
1/12/2016, 12:09 AM
What, that Bama would have killed us too? Nothing about either of Bama's game will change my opinion about that. The only team we could have beat was MSU and it wouldn't have been easy.

I don't think we beat either team, but if given the opportunity to play Clemson in Florida, or an Alabama team (that doesn't have a running QB) in Dallas...that's a fairly simple decision for me. I want nothing to do with Clemson's coaching staff.

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2016, 12:25 AM
I don't think we beat either team, but if given the opportunity to play Clemson in Florida, or an Alabama team (that doesn't have a running QB) in Dallas...that's a fairly simple decision for me. I want nothing to do with Clemson's coaching staff.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't for me. Bama made almost zero mistakes in both playoff games and we are not nearly that disciplined. And that's when they pour it on just like they did against MSU. We'll never know, but I think it would have been uglier against Bama because at least Clemson does make mistakes here and there and that's how we stayed in it for a half.

It doesn't seem we can get the depth of trench players as these 2 teams to come to Norman, but we can play more disciplined with the guys we have. No jumping off-sides, no dumb personal flags after the play is over, etc. I think I was as impressed with that as the level of talent - that's good coaching and there is no reason we can't do that.

Eielson
1/12/2016, 12:39 AM
It doesn't seem we can get the depth of trench players as these 2 teams to come to Norman

Agreed on that. Our front-7 certainly wasn't as good as Clemson or Alabama's, but I'm not convinced it wasn't good enough to win a championship. I think depth was the real issue, as I believe it would have been a one score game against Clemson had Evans and Walker been healthy. Obviously Clemson lost Lawson early, so it's not like we were robbed. I just think it's our backups that are the issue moreso than our starters.

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2016, 01:07 AM
Agreed on that. Our front-7 certainly wasn't as good as Clemson or Alabama's, but I'm not convinced it wasn't good enough to win a championship. I think depth was the real issue, as I believe it would have been a one score game against Clemson had Evans and Walker been healthy. Obviously Clemson lost Lawson early, so it's not like we were robbed. I just think it's our backups that are the issue moreso than our starters.

That's just the defense - I was more talking about our O-line. We would not have been able to run the ball against any of the playoff teams including MSU. I only think we could have beaten MSU because their offense is not very dynamic and I think Mayfield and the passing game would have prevailed. Bama would have stuffed our running game even worse than Clemson did and they play tighter, more physical coverage on the back-end. Shep would have been the only guy that could have gotten open consistently. That doesn't leave many tools to work with.

But we're talking about 2 really good teams here and I think better than the top 2 in several seasons. The Saban-Bama era is going to be looked back on as one of the best dynasties in CFB - maybe the best. We clearly need to step up a level to compete in the CFP and I really think we have a chance next year.

JLEW1818
1/12/2016, 11:13 AM
How was I wrong? Bama was the best team and would have destroyed us too.

E,
Anytime you want to meet let me know. Name the place bro. No joke. You need your *** kicked so bad.

Eielson
1/12/2016, 10:44 PM
E,
Anytime you want to meet let me know. Name the place bro. No joke. You need your *** kicked so bad.

Hahahahahaha!

:encouragement:

#8soon
1/12/2016, 11:38 PM
That's just the defense - I was more talking about our O-line. We would not have been able to run the ball against any of the playoff teams including MSU. I only think we could have beaten MSU because their offense is not very dynamic and I think Mayfield and the passing game would have prevailed. Bama would have stuffed our running game even worse than Clemson did and they play tighter, more physical coverage on the back-end. Shep would have been the only guy that could have gotten open consistently. That doesn't leave many tools to work with.

But we're talking about 2 really good teams here and I think better than the top 2 in several seasons. The Saban-Bama era is going to be looked back on as one of the best dynasties in CFB - maybe the best. We clearly need to step up a level to compete in the CFP and I really think we have a chance next year.

All my sources kept telling me that after all the film review OU was going to be able to expose a lot of broken coverages by Clemson's secondary. After the loss they have also told me BM was deer in headlights and got confused. Riley was trying to run a lot of up tempo but BM was slowing it down because he was confused trying to make the pre snap reads. STOP BLAMING THIS LOSS ON OUR O-LINE!!!!

BoulderSooner79
1/13/2016, 01:27 AM
All my sources kept telling me that after all the film review OU was going to be able to expose a lot of broken coverages by Clemson's secondary. After the loss they have also told me BM was deer in headlights and got confused. Riley was trying to run a lot of up tempo but BM was slowing it down because he was confused trying to make the pre snap reads. STOP BLAMING THIS LOSS ON OUR O-LINE!!!!

No - and ALL CAPS doesn't impress me (unless you did it old school without the caps lock key).

#8soon
1/13/2016, 06:01 PM
No - and ALL CAPS doesn't impress me (unless you did it old school without the caps lock key).

Yes, BoulderSooner79. If you talk to the guys inside the program, that is what they'll tell you. Why is that so hard for you to believe? Didn't you watch bama do the exact thing I am talking about (busted coverages)

Of course last month I was telling you that if Bake couldn't go that Cody was going to get the nod and you didn't believe that either. I guess just keep your head in the sand.....

BoulderSooner79
1/13/2016, 06:41 PM
Yes, BoulderSooner79. If you talk to the guys inside the program, that is what they'll tell you. Why is that so hard for you to believe? Didn't you watch bama do the exact thing I am talking about (busted coverages)

Of course last month I was telling you that if Bake couldn't go that Cody was going to get the nod and you didn't believe that either. I guess just keep your head in the sand.....

I've watched the line all year and said it would be the reason we dropped a game down the stretch. I thought it would be in-conference, but it was clear against Clemson too. And if you paid any attention to the thread, which you didn't, I said we wouldn't be able to *run* the ball against Clemson because of the O-line and we couldn't. Without an effective run game, there was too much pressure on BM and the passing game to be effective overall. What I didn't expect, is for Clemson to be able to run it against us as well as they did - especially in the first half when we should have been fresh. So, I'm not saying it was just the O-line that was the weakness - it was a total team effort. Old cliches exist for a reason and the one about running the ball and stopping the run is backed by history. We could do neither, which leads to a very low probability of winning even if you do have some fancy busted coverage trick up your sleeve. And yes, I realize BM did not have a great game even while resting my head in the sand - but he often didn't have much time either.