PDA

View Full Version : External factor that could influence OU @ OSU

Jacie
11/23/2015, 09:29 PM
Baylor plays TCU on Friday night.

The bears are down to their third string QB, Chad Johnson, after Stidham went down against the cowboys.

On the other side, Trevone Boykin may be able to play for TCU.

A win by the horned frogs is not beyond the realm of possibility, which means OSU would play knowing they are contending for the Big XII championship just as much as OU.

Soonerjeepman
11/23/2015, 09:46 PM
well, bu's third string dude was pretty good. Course I really don't think osu's D is really worth a crap. bu had 300 yards RUSHING...

So, yes tcu win is def possible.

Would your rather have 3 - 10-2 teams on your resume you beat, or 11-1, 10-2 and a 9-3, knowing the 11-1 could be a top 10 vs 3 teams that are in the 12-20 range

yermom
11/23/2015, 10:11 PM
OSU is going to be fired up regardless.

even when they suck, they are tough up there

Soonerjeepman
11/23/2015, 10:17 PM
yup...won't be easy due to their passing game. I honestly think if we start running and are successful it could get ugly. I think our guys will be really focused.

Breadburner
11/23/2015, 10:32 PM
Mason Rudolph is hurt.....Thats more of a factor than anything mentioned....

Soonerjeepman
11/23/2015, 10:39 PM

Though he hasn’t been cleared yet, the signs are pointing to Mayfield returning for the Oklahoma State game. And the Sooners could still put an exclamation point on their playoff push with a resounding victory over the Cowboys, who will have their full complement of standouts.

not what espn is saying..

VA Sooner
11/23/2015, 11:03 PM

Hadn't heard this. Was this during the game last weekend?

aurorasooner
11/23/2015, 11:47 PM

I hadn't heard anything about the Aggies QB being hurt either.

Just read this in the DO http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5052250&, that Prelim weather reports says freezing rain Sat Night in Stoolwater. Another Ice Bowl? I know we're expecting some nasty weather on Thurs, a little snow, but the temp is supposed to drop significantly, so it's probably coming towards Okla for the WE.

Sure hope Perine isn't hurt too bad as he's been pretty good in rainy wet games and the weather may neutralize both passing games some and BM's scrambling ability if he's able to play, which it seems he will.

I didn't know BM's had a concussion before in HS but this article in the Dallas news quoted him as saying he has. http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/oklahoma-sooners/20151123-bob-stoops-on-baker-mayfield-s-status-for-OU-OSU-sooners-qb-i-m-not-afraid-of-concussions.ece He appears to be one tough SOB. I don't know how anyone on the offensive side of the ball wouldn't play their hearts out for him.

The quarterback said he has suffered a concussion before. It came five years ago when he was in high school. He told reporters that he's not afraid of concussions and that if his helmet had not been taken away by the medical staff that he would have tried to play.

"I'm not afraid of concussions. I signed up for football. I wear a helmet for a reason. I know when I'm getting myself into when I play football," he said. "I've had a concussion before and I happened to get one on Saturday. I'm tough. I'd run through a brick wall for my team. Obviously I don't want to come out of the game. It killed me to sit there in the second half and watch from the sideline. That's the kind of thing you have to deal with when you're an athlete. When guys don't report stuff is because you know you're in your spot and you don't want to get it taken away. So when they kept asking me and then they symptoms came up I told them and they followed the protocol and took me out to test me. Regarding the concussion protocol, they followed everything when it happened."

I just hope that the OL comes out with a passion and plays well, as imo they didn't play very well is pass protection for either QB last Sat Night. I know we got some rushing yards, but considering ~75 yds was on SP's one run, it wasn't a blazing performance against a decimated defense as the stats allude to, imo.

Breadburner
11/24/2015, 08:21 AM

Yep....Ankle....

Breadburner
11/24/2015, 08:21 AM
Though he hasn’t been cleared yet, the signs are pointing to Mayfield returning for the Oklahoma State game. And the Sooners could still put an exclamation point on their playoff push with a resounding victory over the Cowboys, who will have their full complement of standouts.

not what espn is saying..

Who cares what Espenis says.....

Jacie
11/24/2015, 09:46 AM
What matters is what Gundy will say, to the team before they come out of the tunnel.

Baylor wins, it is "play for in-state bragging rights and 2nd runner-up in the Big XII".

TCU wins it is "play for the Big XII Championship and a spot in the playoff".

Even pokes can play over their head if the prize is big enough.

And alluding to another thread about "the hit", if the stakes are high enough, doing whatever it takes to knock Mayfield out of the game is not an academic exercise but a potential game-winning strategy.

Opportunity like this does not come knocking often for football coaches, certainly Gundy has had fewer than Stoops.

If there is sports book on Mayfield getting injured during this game, I imagine the line is something like 2 to 1 against right now but would go to 2 to 1 in favor should TCU win Friday night.

Of course, I am not saying Mike Gundy would make such a call for a player to do something like that . . .

Pride1Mom
11/24/2015, 10:05 AM
The player that OU had trouble with the past few years was Tyrek Hill, and that thug is no longer there! OU's coaches screwed up last year, on the re-punt option. Yes, OSU is difficult place to play, but with it being Thanksgiving week-end, some of the students will not be there, and the weather WILL be a factor.

Soonerjeepman
11/24/2015, 12:34 PM
Who cares what Espenis says.....

just saying there is nothing out there that I've seen...but even if Randolph is good, it's more about what we do on offense.

Pride1Mom
11/24/2015, 12:38 PM
Is it Rudolph or Randolph? All I care about is the OU defense against them.

SoonerMarkVA
11/24/2015, 01:27 PM
What matters is what Gundy will say, to the team before they come out of the tunnel.

Baylor wins, it is "play for in-state bragging rights and 2nd runner-up in the Big XII".

TCU wins it is "play for the Big XII Championship and a spot in the playoff".

Even pokes can play over their head if the prize is big enough.

And alluding to another thread about "the hit", if the stakes are high enough, doing whatever it takes to knock Mayfield out of the game is not an academic exercise but a potential game-winning strategy.

Opportunity like this does not come knocking often for football coaches, certainly Gundy has had fewer than Stoops.

If there is sports book on Mayfield getting injured during this game, I imagine the line is something like 2 to 1 against right now but would go to 2 to 1 in favor should TCU win Friday night.

Of course, I am not saying Mike Gundy would make such a call for a player to do something like that . . .

The higher the potential fall, the greater the poke choke.

SoonerDream
11/24/2015, 01:34 PM
It would probably be better for us if Baylor wins a close one against TCU.

JLMSOONER
11/24/2015, 02:04 PM

I thought he was named after that deer. You know, the one with the shiny nose. I'm

CowboyMRW
11/24/2015, 02:14 PM

It's Randolph. I'm sure your D won't have a problem as they get to rush against practically air all game.

And you will most likely be seeing Walsh the entire game if my sources are correct.

Soonerjeepman
11/24/2015, 02:18 PM
So, did he knick up an ankle? Just curious. If TK plays it'll be closer. Hopefully our run game will get the yards you guys have been giving up lately.

CowboyMRW
11/24/2015, 02:26 PM
So, did he knick up an ankle? Just curious. If TK plays it'll be closer. Hopefully our run game will get the yards you guys have been giving up lately.

I've heard broke and read sprained. I know he was limping towards the end of the game and went into a walking boot immediately after the game so who knows. But the ZR killed us against Baylor. OU doesn't have the OL that Baylor has though, although your RBs are better so we will see.

I'm interested in what we draw up. I wouldn't be surprised to see Man Cover 1 all game with safeties walking down all game to take away the running. Peterson against Shepard all game would be a great matchup as Peterson has been one of the best true cover corners OSU has had. He's shut down a lot of very highly drafted receivers.

Soonerjeepman
11/24/2015, 03:01 PM
I've heard broke and read sprained. I know he was limping towards the end of the game and went into a walking boot immediately after the game so who knows. But the ZR killed us against Baylor. OU doesn't have the OL that Baylor has though, although your RBs are better so we will see.

I'm interested in what we draw up. I wouldn't be surprised to see Man Cover 1 all game with safeties walking down all game to take away the running. Peterson against Shepard all game would be a great matchup as Peterson has been one of the best true cover corners OSU has had. He's shut down a lot of very highly drafted receivers.

sorry to hear, don't want kids hurt. Hope he heals well.

Yeah, our oline has been hit or miss. Hopefully they'll be focused to help whoever we have at QB. Obviously Baker runs the ZR much better than Knight so hopefully he'll be good. If weather is bad it'll be a run game I'm sure, which should help OU.

The only good is our D has stopped some folks your's hasn't. If we can get a decent lead, 14 points, I think the D will pin it's ears back and just go full steam.

Looking forward to a good game. Not a real hater on OSU- cousin's went there (her sister went to OU), aunt uncle, cousin's daughter goes there now. Hopefully everyone stays healthy.