PDA

View Full Version : What was Patterson thinking?!!

BigTip
11/22/2015, 01:03 AM
Was the outcome of the game, if it had gone to OT, as obvious to y'all watching on TV as it was to every one of us in the stadium?

Was he cold and wanted to go home? Was he not watching the game? I couldn't believe it. But when I saw they were going for two I was glad. Nervous as hell, but knew that was our only chance.

soonergirlNeugene
11/22/2015, 01:05 AM
I'm doing my best to understand this call myself. But I will try. Patterson has a history of going for 2 especially in close games on the road. But yeah, hard to justify in this case given how awful our Offense was playing.

soonercastor
11/22/2015, 01:25 AM
that was dumb, we were most likely going to kick a FG in OT while his offense was starting to move the ball and could have scored a TD

FaninAma
11/22/2015, 01:31 AM
I'm doing my best to understand this call myself. But I will try. Patterson has a history of going for 2 especially in close games on the road. But yeah, hard to justify in this case given how awful our quarterback was playing.
Fify. I think he felt bad about his player cheap shotting Baker. Our FG kicker sure has played his way out of the Groza award the last few games.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 01:34 AM
TCU beat Boise doing the same thing a few years back. This was when Boise was really good with Kellen Moore at QB. I think the odds of making a 2 pointer is a little under 50%, so it's a good choice if you don't like your odds in OT. We had our back-up QB in the game, but they were down to backups at QB too. My guess is that the OT format of starting at the 25 had the TCU coaches worried that Perine would beat them.

Go back on watch the replay and get scared after the fact. If Parker doesn't knock that down it looks like we lose. Parker left coverage to attack the QB and his guy was open behind him. Insert the old game-of-inches cliche here.

yermom
11/22/2015, 01:40 AM
Our defense was worn out. They would have killed us in OT

soonergirlNeugene
11/22/2015, 01:47 AM
TCU beat Boise doing the same thing a few years back. This was when Boise was really good with Kellen Moore at QB. I think the odds of making a 2 pointer is a little under 50%, so it's a good choice if you don't like your odds in OT. We had our back-up QB in the game, but they were down to backups at QB too. My guess is that the OT format of starting at the 25 had the TCU coaches worried that Perine would beat them.

Go back on watch the replay and get scared after the fact. If Parker doesn't knock that down it looks like we lose. Parker left coverage to attack the QB and his guy was open behind him. Insert the old game-of-inches cliche here.

You may be right, but why bet the house on one play when you know you're never going to have to do better than a FG to win in OT?

SicEmBaylor
11/22/2015, 01:59 AM
Patterson is one ****ed up sweaty fatass piece of human filth. Basically, he said in his post-game press conference that he went for 2 because going into OT would mean losing the Baylor game, so he was avoiding OT so he could beat us this upcoming Friday. For whatever reason, he was convinced that a team going into OT means losing the following game.

Yeah, that's typical Patterson logic. Fat *** cow.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 02:00 AM
You may be right, but why bet the house on one play when you know you're never going to have to do better than a FG to win in OT?

We're winching because of the problem TK was having, but I'm sure the TCU coaches were seeing lots of issues on their side. Stopping Perine when OU starts at their own 25 is one thing, but quite another when OU starts on your 25. We could just grind it out and Perine wouldn't get gassed like he would on a long drive. That's especially true if TCU scores and we know we have to score a TD to match because we have 4 downs to work with. And if TCU is forced to crowd the box to stop Perine, play action becomes really dangerous (even with TK in there).

Another thing to consider is if TCU thought they had a 2 pt. play up their sleeve they really believed in against our defense. I would have played for OT, but I don't think it was a terrible call and it came very close to working.

aurorasooner
11/22/2015, 02:00 AM
Yeah, Parker was in no-man's land, damned if you do or don't. Hard to believe that he blocked that throw as tall as that TCU is.

I do agree with you about our run game beating them in OT or perhaps even us winning with a FG on a Sanchez pick of their green QB for a game-ender similar to OU/Tenn. Patterson won't get much heat over the call because they were w/o their 2 best offensive players anyway.

Damn good coach imo, and even his game plan in the 1st half with all their injuries was pretty darn good. Hell, he'll probably give their player that got kicked out for that targeting call a cash hand shake of a grand on the ride home.

If Boykin is able to play next week in Ft Worth, I wouldn't be surprised if TCU upsets them or at least plays them close. Conversely if Baylor hasn't shot their wad in Stoolwater, I wouldn't be surprised if they win by 4 TDs either. Their 3rd team QB looked as good tonight as that Ohio State trio last year. . That game will probably be "chippy as the come as both teams don't like each other anyway.

SicEmBaylor
11/22/2015, 02:05 AM
Yeah, Parker was in no-man's land, damned if you do or don't. Hard to believe that he blocked that throw as tall as that TCU is.

I do agree with you about our run game beating them in OT or perhaps even us winning with a FG on a Sanchez pick of their green QB for a game-ender similar to OU/Tenn. Patterson won't get much heat over the call because they were w/o their 2 best offensive players anyway.

Damn good coach imo, and even his game plan in the 1st half with all their injuries was pretty darn good. Hell, he'll probably give their player that got kicked out for that targeting call a cash hand shake of a grand on the ride home.

If Boykin is able to play next week in Ft Worth, I wouldn't be surprised if TCU upsets them or at least plays them close. Conversely if Baylor hasn't shot their wad in Stoolwater, I wouldn't be surprised if they win by 4 TDs either. Their 3rd team QB looked as good tonight as that Ohio State trio last year. . That game will probably be "chippy as the come as both teams don't like each other anyway.

We've been playing TCU for 110 years. Their campus used to be in Waco. Here's another interesting tidbit about TCU: they suck.

SoCalBigRed
11/22/2015, 02:21 AM
I think BU will be out for blood. If TCU gets their QB back, it should be interesting.

I think it's obvious, TCU spent 2 weeks working on OU and looked right past KU.

guido911
11/22/2015, 02:28 AM
I don't blame Patterson for going for the win right there. Gutsy call. If TCU converted, we'd be calling Patterson a genius.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 02:35 AM
I don't blame Patterson for going for the win right there. Gutsy call. If TCU converted, we'd be calling Patterson a genius.

No doubt. But his real genius is getting Mayfield out of the game for the 2nd half, otherwise we put half a hundred on 'em.

guido911
11/22/2015, 02:51 AM
No doubt. But his real genius is getting Mayfield out of the game for the 2nd half, otherwise we put half a hundred on 'em.

^^^This is correct.

SoonerForLife92
11/22/2015, 02:58 AM
I find your lack of faith in our defense disturbing

SoonerStormchaser
11/22/2015, 03:46 AM
I find your lack of faith in our defense disturbing
Well, they sure as **** didn't show much for the 4th quarter

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/22/2015, 08:25 AM
Here's another interesting tidbit about BAYLOR: they suck.

FIFY

Okie35
11/22/2015, 08:51 AM
Well, they sure as **** didn't show much for the 4th quarter
All those 3 and outs made them tired

Breadburner
11/22/2015, 09:04 AM
He's got more class than Briles......

BigTip
11/22/2015, 09:19 AM
Interesting that on killerfrogs.com they are mostly second guessing the first attempt in the game to go for two. I sort of get that one though. Unconventional decision but not as glaringly boneheaded as the game ending one to me.

Okie35
11/22/2015, 09:26 AM
Patterson: 'We got a game in five days. You go 3 OT, you've got no chance to win the next game.'

That's what he was thinking and I can't blame him.

Okie35
11/22/2015, 09:27 AM
Interesting that on killerfrogs.com they are mostly second guessing the first attempt in the game to go for two. I sort of get that one though. Unconventional decision but not as glaringly boneheaded as the game ending one to me.

This explanation about having another huge game within 5 days makes sense to just get the game over with... I also think Boykin plays against Baylor

winout
11/22/2015, 09:31 AM
that makes sense. he's a good ball coach. respect the dude.

Jacie
11/22/2015, 09:38 AM
Aah so they have a Thursday night game, something the broadcast booth did not pick up on to explain why the 2-point attempt.

Okie35
11/22/2015, 09:41 AM
Aah so they have a Thursday night game, something the broadcast booth did not pick up on to explain why the 2-point attempt.

Yup it's the Baylor game on thanksgiving

Soonerjeepman
11/22/2015, 09:55 AM

yup...I think Mayfield rolls in 2nd half.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 10:04 AM

Very legit reason too, given their injury situation. And as I posted before, Patterson did the exact some thing in the same situation when playing Boise on the road a few years back. They got the 2 pts and won.

Since71ASooner4Life
11/22/2015, 11:52 AM
Fify. I think he felt bad about his player cheap shotting Baker. Our FG kicker sure has played his way out of the Groza award the last few games.

As insane as it sounds, I had the same thought. Kind of like "we dont deserve to win this, but I'm going to force you to make a play to prove it"

tooslow
11/22/2015, 12:02 PM
I mentioned it being a good call to go for 2 in the game thread, but nobody agreed. Most were talking about our D being soooo tired if the game went to OT. So I'm guessing the D was perfectly fine after letting them score at the end and having no momentum whatsoever? I disagree. I say when you have a team on the ropes, go for the win. Like other big calls, such as fake punts, it's only a bad call if it fails.

Another thing to consider. Their D HAD to be exhausted if ours was. I think we ran 100 plays and they ran less than 70. I don't think our D was gassed, but rather just not playing well.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 12:26 PM
I do think our D was getting tired because they had the ball most the time at the end. But their D would be just as tired in OT as well from the 100 plays you mentioned as well as the pounding from Perine. Both defenses would get a short break from the commercials at the end of regulation combined with the OT coin toss ceremony. Then the format of starting from the 25 means there would be no long drives and I don't think fatigue would be a big issue for either team. OT would come down to who made the big play or who made the big mistake. Both QBs had thrown picks, so it's hard to predict what would have been.

SoonerMarkVA
11/22/2015, 12:30 PM

Not all backups are equal.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 12:32 PM
Not all backups are equal.

No, but we had picked their QBs as well. They made a few plays, but in general were not very effective. We're only critical of our own.

Judge Smails
11/22/2015, 12:45 PM
Patterson: 'We got a game in five days. You go 3 OT, you've got no chance to win the next game.'

That's what he was thinking and I can't blame him.

Except they would have beaten us in the first OT.

SoonerMarkVA
11/22/2015, 12:46 PM
No, but we had picked their QBs as well. They made a few plays, but in general were not very effective. We're only critical of our own.

The first QB was very much ineffective, other than (what was apparently) two lucky throws on that 2nd drive. But the second guy to come in did a pretty good job. Unfortunately, we never tried Thomas to see if he could have been more effective.

There's no doubt in my mind we don't score any TDs in overtime, unless Perine happens to bust off one like he did in the 3rd.

SoonerorLater
11/22/2015, 01:03 PM
At the time I was surprised they would go for two but the more I think about it wasn't that bad of an idea given the circumstances. Both Mixon and Perine were back in the game. Trying to stop both of those guys starting from the 25 yard line would have been challenging. Also TCU greatest successes on offense were big plays created by stretching the field. Additionally there was an element of surprise as OU was out of TO's and couldn't stop play to regroup.

And as Patterson said they have a game Thursday which is a reality that as a head coach you have to consider. So if you think you have at least as good of a statistical chance winning with one play then why not go for it?

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 01:24 PM
The first QB was very much ineffective, other than (what was apparently) two lucky throws on that 2nd drive. But the second guy to come in did a pretty good job. Unfortunately, we never tried Thomas to see if he could have been more effective.

There's no doubt in my mind we don't score any TDs in overtime, unless Perine happens to bust off one like he did in the 3rd.

Kohlhausen was 5/11 for 122 yards with 86 of those coming on one play. It was a good pass, but a bust on our defenders part to not tackle the guy at the point of the catch. Plus there are no deep routes available in OT to repeat that play. Otherwise, he was 4/10 for 36 yards and threw a dangerous pass in the flat that Sanchez almost picked. The receiver got just enough of a hand on it to prevent the INT. Neither coach had reason to be confident in their QB *in the OT format*. They had reason to fear us grinding it out with Perine and we had reason to fear #22 making our guys miss tackles. We all had reason to be uneasy about OT, but you can't predict the future. Arizona had their 2nd string QB in the game against Utah a week ago. He was terrible at passing - much worse TK and had not completed 1 pass during regulation and Utah's defense is tougher than TCU's. Arizona won in OT with the one pass their QB completed all night and it was from 20 yards out and was a beautiful throw to a guy who was well covered. You never know.

Okie35
11/22/2015, 01:40 PM
Kohlhausen was 5/11 for 122 yards with 86 of those coming on one play. It was a good pass, but a bust on our defenders part to not tackle the guy at the point of the catch. Plus there are no deep routes available in OT to repeat that play. Otherwise, he was 4/10 for 36 yards and threw a dangerous pass in the flat that Sanchez almost picked. The receiver got just enough of a hand on it to prevent the INT. Neither coach had reason to be confident in their QB *in the OT format*. They had reason to fear us grinding it out with Perine and we had reason to fear #22 making our guys miss tackles. We all had reason to be uneasy about OT, but you can't predict the future. Arizona had their 2nd string QB in the game against Utah a week ago. He was terrible at passing - much worse TK and had not completed 1 pass during regulation and Utah's defense is tougher than TCU's. Arizona won in OT with the one pass their QB completed all night and it was from 20 yards out and was a beautiful throw to a guy who was well covered. You never know.

If you look to the left on that 86 yard play I think it was walker that got held something fierce... But it was a bad jump by Ahmad and a good play by their receiver... tk isn't a terrible QB he's just an option QB but he gets hurt easily so running him a lot isn't always the best option

SoonerBorn
11/22/2015, 02:34 PM
Except they would have beaten us in the first OT.

That's what I think, too. We were on the ropes.