PDA

View Full Version : Knight

ObiKaTony
11/22/2015, 12:38 AM
Move him to 3rd string, that was pathetic

soonergirlNeugene
11/22/2015, 12:40 AM
Makes you wonder how bad Thomas is.

...Are we just bad at identifying high school QB talent or is it that we're failing miserably on coaching them up? Or both?

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/22/2015, 12:44 AM
If the third string qb for TCU can come in an at least put drives together, why the **** can't knight?

Did you see that one throw that just went down to the ground? Looked lie a left handed throw from a right handed 10 year old girl. Even my wife said, what the hell was that limp dick throw?"

Breadburner
11/22/2015, 12:45 AM
Who...Didn't know Knight was bad......????

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 12:46 AM
If the third string qb for TCU can come in an at least put drives together, why the **** can't knight?

Did you see that one throw that just went down to the ground? Looked lie a left handed throw from a right handed 10 year old girl. Even my wife said, what the hell was that limp dick throw?"

Your wife talks dirty. You should keep her.

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/22/2015, 12:48 AM

Your wife talks dirty. You should keep her.I'm a lucky guy!

soonergirlNeugene
11/22/2015, 12:49 AM
Yeah he was pitching more ducks than Phil Knight. Worst I've ever seen him.

ObiKaTony
11/22/2015, 12:50 AM
Knight just won the Heisman for mayfield

Okie35
11/22/2015, 12:59 AM

We played conservative as hell. Also, those qbs are probably taller than that midget.

FaninAma
11/22/2015, 12:59 AM
Not only is Trevor a poor passer he does a terrible job at the read option. If he would have kept the ball a few more times I don't think TCU gets back in the game. I certainly don't think he should EVER pass off of the read option.

aurorasooner
11/22/2015, 01:00 AM
What I was more concerned about on TK's passes was Blackledge continuing to question whether the ball just came out funny or if it was tipped. His side-arm quick pass under the defender to the right flat was dead on target, but that pick and that near-pick incompletion between 2 defenders, even though thrown pretty well were schizo. Besides the difference in decision making, he's obviously not as consistently accurate as BM and TK may throw a head-scratching pick at any moment.

The biggest difference in TK and BM is TK's decision, or indecision in running (and reading) the zone read and then when keeping the ball TK just runs straight. I don't know if he even has the option like BM does though. He also looked to me to be considerably slower than he did against 'Bama. or even last year. Either that or the TCU defenders are awful darn fast.

If BM can't go next W/E LR is going to have his hands full not only this week with the prep, but calling the plays to keep us out of disaster next weekend.

Judge Smails
11/22/2015, 01:05 AM
Fun Science Fact:

If you go outside right now and turn your ear toward the southeast, you can actually hear the entire state of Alabama saying "How the **** did this guy beat us?"

TUSooner
11/22/2015, 01:15 AM

that was funny. I guess I forgot how to SF.com :-/

BigTip
11/22/2015, 01:15 AM
At the game we didn't know Mayfield was out until Knight trotted onto the field. Talking about the air going out of a stadium. I guess that same thing happened to our team too.

Very disappointing performance.

soonergirlNeugene
11/22/2015, 01:35 AM
I'd be shocked if Stoops didn't make this a gametime decision next week one way or the other.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 01:39 AM
I'd be shocked if Stoops didn't make this a gametime decision next week one way or the other.

Probably, but if I'm Gundy, I prepare for Mayfield and don't worry much if it's not.

tooslow
11/22/2015, 01:48 AM
Not up to Stoops if Baker has a concussion. Only the physician can release a player to play in that scenario. If he's still having symptoms in the next few days, he ain't playing next weekend.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 02:14 AM
Not up to Stoops if Baker has a concussion. Only the physician can release a player to play in that scenario. If he's still having symptoms in the next few days, he ain't playing next weekend.

I think the comment meant that Stoops would say publicly that BM is a game time decision even if he already knows otherwise to keep OSU guessing. And it may well be a game time decision -- by the doctor.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/22/2015, 08:14 AM
Fun Science Fact:

If you go outside right now and turn your ear toward the southeast, you can actually hear the entire state of Alabama saying "How the **** did this guy beat us?"

^^this^^

VA Sooner
11/22/2015, 08:37 AM
I'm still not sure what happened to Knight... promising QB that had an incredible night against Alabama two years ago and got worse over the last two years. Lost his mojo? Lost strength?

Jacie
11/22/2015, 09:44 AM
Once the season started and Mayfield became the man, what did Knight have to look forward to, mop up duty in blowout wins which he has to split that with the third string? I can imagine he has not been "in the game" this year. Things changed on one play and if it comes to it, we can expect a better prepared version of TK against OSU.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 10:00 AM
Once the season started and Mayfield became the man, what did Knight have to look forward to, mop up duty in blowout wins which he has to split that with the third string? I can imagine he has not been "in the game" this year. Things changed on one play and if it comes to it, we can expect a better prepared version of TK against OSU.

Gotta love optimism !!

Actually, I do agree that getting more snaps this week will help (as well as being more focused). But enough to beat the pokes? Only if every other player on the team steps up their game :) Lets hope BM passes those more extensive concussion tests with flying colors over the next couple of days.

winout
11/22/2015, 10:32 AM
Knight behind a poor O-line is a prescription for a loss.

Since71ASooner4Life
11/22/2015, 10:38 AM
Knight just won the Heisman for mayfield

You may well be right - it certainly gives perspective what a difference maker Mayfield is

Since71ASooner4Life
11/22/2015, 10:41 AM
Probably, but if I'm Gundy, I prepare for Mayfield and don't worry much if it's not.

literally

Since71ASooner4Life
11/22/2015, 10:44 AM
I'm still not sure what happened to Knight... promising QB that had an incredible night against Alabama two years ago and got worse over the last two years. Lost his mojo? Lost strength?

Among other things, he looks like he spent a lot of time in the weight room bulking up, which is no success factor for QBs

Since71ASooner4Life
11/22/2015, 10:59 AM
Knight behind a poor O-line is a prescription for a loss.

I cant see a Knight led offense scoring more than 13 points, and a defense that is on the field all day wont hold OSU down. Looking for answers how a team that has been so good all year except for one uncharacteristic loss, the physical strength of Texas's DL comes to mind, and OSU is strong there as well. Without Mayfield I think its an ugly loss.

OklaPony
11/22/2015, 11:07 AM
I'm more concerned with the status of Perine and Mixon. If they can't go then it won't matter who we run out there at QB.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/22/2015, 11:14 AM

Personally, I think he lost his ability to process information when they exposed him to the full offense. His freshman year, they tailored the offense to his strengths - lots of single reads. When they gave him the more complicated offense his sophomore year, it slowed down his reads on everything.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 11:15 AM
I'm more concerned with the status of Perine and Mixon. If they can't go then it won't matter who we run out there at QB.

I think it's pretty equal. The OSU D-line is good enough to keep us from running all over them if we have no passing threat. But without Perine, Mayfield can't win it by himself. We need our star players in a big game.

SoCalBigRed
11/22/2015, 11:29 AM
After taking the hit, Mayfield appeared shaken up, but remained on the field.

"Our trainers and doctors were constantly with each series every time Baker was off, checking with him, asking him questions, making sure he was OK," Stoops said. "Everything was checking out fine. And then at halftime, they approached him again, wanting to go over some things, and Baker admitted to having a headache. That's when our doctors said we're not going to have him play.

Feel like a broken record. This is being hyped up.

They felt confident the way they had been playing since Texas, felt like they had momentum, and took a precaution.

Baker did not fail any concussion tests, which I tried to point out yesterday. He never would have gone back in the game. He was checked constantly, to be sure.

Some doctor/trainer says, "You got a headache at all, anything?"

"Well yeah, I got whacked pretty hard. I've got a wicked headache."

They also said during the game, that it was a suggestion/advisement, to hold him out, and that Stoops had agreed. OU doesn't like to talk about injuries, so don't expect to hear much.

But, BM will be trotting out on the field, to start, come Saturday.

"We'll see...we'll see," Stoops said, via ESPN, of Mayfield's status after the game, acknowledging that the injury was related to the head shot. "[We] just didn't feel like he was quite where he needed to be so the doctors pulled him."

That sound like a coach freaking over his starting QB going down. Stoops doesn't reveal much, but when he's upset, it's pretty obvious. I think losing Baker, would be upsetting than, "we'll see..."

The doctors didn't pull him. Stoops did.

kenth68
11/22/2015, 11:47 AM
He also looked to me to be considerably slower than he did against 'Bama. or even last year. Either that or the TCU defenders are awful darn fast.

Did you see how bulked up, muscle-wise, TK has gotten over last year? That's going to affect everything he does, including running and throwing.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 11:47 AM
A headache after a blow to the head *is* a concussion symptom. It doesn't mean for sure he is concussed, but it forces to team to sit him. If you think Stoops would have held Mayfield out if he had a choice, you're crazy. The game was not in hand by any means and TCU was playing some pretty good defense even with Mayfield in there. Stoops was responding to criticism on why Mayfield stayed in the game after the hit because that's a big deal these days. He basically said BM was passing all the on-field tests, but he lied about the headache until half time.

I'm not saying Mayfield will test out as concussed in the coming days. We don't know - and you don't know. But watch the replay - his head snapped sharply like a billiard ball getting smacked by the cue ball. Physics says his brained moved around in his skull and it all depends on how it moved and what part of the brain got jostled.

kenth68
11/22/2015, 12:03 PM
BM also grabbed at his ear after the hit. Any of you who ever played will know just how sharp that pain is when your helmet gets rapped. We had one idiot who loved going around smacking other players helmets with the metal button of a chin strap. Felt like it popped your eardrums. He did that until he got ganged up on.

But it could give you real ringing headache for a while afterward. I know BM's hit was vicious and nothing like a little rap on the helmet, but maybe that's all the headache was, just from getting his helmet rung.

SoonerorLater
11/22/2015, 12:29 PM
Best line of the night

"Hi, I'm Baker Mayfield. And I have DirectTV."

"Hi, I'm Trevor Knight. And I have cable."

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/22/2015, 12:37 PM
Yeah he was pitching more ducks than Phil Knight. Worst I've ever seen him.I don't remember Knight ever playing worse, either. We should NOT put him as second team QB.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/22/2015, 12:57 PM
BM also grabbed at his ear after the hit. Any of you who ever played will know just how sharp that pain is when your helmet gets rapped. We had one idiot who loved going around smacking other players helmets with the metal button of a chin strap. Felt like it popped your eardrums. He did that until he got ganged up on.

But it could give you real ringing headache for a while afterward. I know BM's hit was vicious and nothing like a little rap on the helmet, but maybe that's all the headache was, just from getting his helmet rung.

Once Baker said he had a headache after getting hit it was game over whether the trainers or Stoops made the call. I'm certain the trainers made the call. I've had a couple concussions but I've also had several other times I was hit and the head and had a headache. I'm concerned that he might not play but it looked to me like the team was just excercising reasonable caution. Regardless I don't expect Stoops to come out and say one way or the other.

I think Knight just has a confidence problem. Baker was almost too confident last night when lead to him taking a big hit. Oklahoma St seems willing to spot everyone 14 points to start the game and they aren't exactly looking like the 85 bears on defense.

Hell after the Texas game I didn't see any way we were in this position. Baker will play, we will win.

KantoSooner
11/22/2015, 01:54 PM
Personally, I think he lost his ability to process information when they exposed him to the full offense. His freshman year, they tailored the offense to his strengths - lots of single reads. When they gave him the more complicated offense his sophomore year, it slowed down his reads on everything.
Agree. He looked completely mentally incapable.

tooslow
11/22/2015, 01:59 PM
Best line of the night

"Hi, I'm Baker Mayfield. And I have DirectTV."

"Hi, I'm Trevor Knight. And I have cable."

LOL!!!!

Soonerfan88
11/22/2015, 03:08 PM
I agree that Trevor seems to have trouble when given too many options on a play. It's also why he continually locks onto his receivers, he isn't good at going through his reads. But I also think the hit last year has him playing scared now. He knows that a hit could potentially paralyze him and so sometimes he's more worried about getting hit than making the play.

I really believe Trevor is a great young man and I'm glad someone like him represents my university. I even have a ball signed by him and Connor, but he's is not a D-1 QB. The Sugar Bowl was obviously a miracle.

SoonerorLater
11/22/2015, 03:32 PM
Obviously all of you are wrong about TK

""It's been a very tight battle among those three guys," said head coach Bob Stoops in a statement on the team's official website. "Baker, Trevor and Cody have all made substantial progress and I feel we can win with any of them."

Bob Stoops - Aug 24 2015

birddog
11/22/2015, 03:42 PM
There is nothing else he could say. Trevor has been thru alot and stoops will always be loyal to his guys f they do things the "right way" off the field as well.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 03:43 PM
Obviously all of you are wrong about TK

""It's been a very tight battle among those three guys," said head coach Bob Stoops in a statement on the team's official website. "Baker, Trevor and Cody have all made substantial progress and I feel we can win with any of them."

Bob Stoops - Aug 24 2015

And we did win with TK - weren't you watching? Stoops never said anything about needing a 23-7 lead to begin with nor needing a do or defense of a 2 pt attempt to get that win, but he may have implied it.

Piware
11/22/2015, 04:02 PM
I was wondering the same thing myself. Is he just snake bit from his previous injury? He did have some paralysis for a while and it was a scary injury.

SoonerorLater
11/22/2015, 04:13 PM
And we did win with TK - weren't you watching? Stoops never said anything about needing a 23-7 lead to begin with nor needing a do or defense of a 2 pt attempt to get that win, but he may have implied it.

Well that's a pretty narrow view. I thought we won because of the "substantial progress" that Trevor Knight has made. How could it be otherwise? The OU coaching staff by their own admission viewed this as a tight battle. In fact so tight, they just couldn't decide who would be the starting QB until twelve days from the start of the season.

soonergirlNeugene
11/22/2015, 06:43 PM
I was wondering the same thing myself. Is he just snake bit from his previous injury? He did have some paralysis for a while and it was a scary injury.

Yeah, you hate to bash the guy after what he went through. Certainly hasn't been the same player he was before the hit. I know he wasn't lights-out amazing before the Baylor game last year, but he wasn't ever so sloppy with his release.

VA Sooner
11/22/2015, 06:49 PM

So... do we go back to a pared down play book to include a few easy passes and the single-read option play since we have a stable of good running backs? Regardless... the defense will have to bring their A game and know they are going to be on the field for a lot longer. Secondary is good enough to play with the OSU receivers and hopefully the pass-rush will be on fire.

VA Sooner
11/22/2015, 06:51 PM
Also... OSU was held to a paltry amount of rushing yards against Baylor's defense... hope our boys up front can match that.

SoonerorLater
11/22/2015, 07:19 PM
So... do we go back to a pared down play book to include a few easy passes and the single-read option play since we have a stable of good running backs? Regardless... the defense will have to bring their A game and know they are going to be on the field for a lot longer. Secondary is good enough to play with the OSU receivers and hopefully the pass-rush will be on fire.

That will absolutely not be necessary. Lincoln Riley has the utmost faith in Trevor Knight

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/oklahoma-qb-mayfield-uncertain-oklahoma-st-game-35358750

------------------------------

"There's not anything in this offense he can't do," Riley said. "This is a guy that came as close as it could be to starting the season as a starter and a guy that's won a lot of games, a lot of major games."

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 07:29 PM
That will absolutely not be necessary. Lincoln Riley has the utmost faith in Trevor Knight

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/oklahoma-qb-mayfield-uncertain-oklahoma-st-game-35358750

------------------------------

"There's not anything in this offense he can't do," Riley said. "This is a guy that came as close as it could be to starting the season as a starter and a guy that's won a lot of games, a lot of major games."

If Riley doesn't say something like that, he should be fired.

"Knight was terrible and we're probably doomed given his limited capabilities if Mayfield can't go. We'll do what we can by handing off to Perine everytime and going for it on every 4th down. But if the line is anything less than 20 points in favor of the pokes, I take that easy money."

SoonerorLater
11/22/2015, 08:19 PM

"Knight was terrible and we're probably doomed given his limited capabilities if Mayfield can't go. We'll do what we can by handing off to Perine everytime and going for it on every 4th down. But if the line is anything less than 20 points in favor of the pokes, I take that easy money."

Coaches need to know that it isn't a crime to give a forthright, honest answer. I think he should consider using your quote.

aurorasooner
11/22/2015, 08:30 PM

While I think the change from JH to LR was for the best, we may have to rethink some of the JH hate from last year because he obviously had his hands tied with the lack of a quality QB.
Of course he recruited these guys to be D-1 QBs as well, before BM fell into our lap.
If the NCAA had sided with OU, and not handed down any penalties at all against BM because he wasn't on scholarship and was paying his own way, it would've been interesting to see who the starting QB would've been last year from the outset. IMO, BM behind the quality OL we had last year would've been a killer, but I don't know even if he was eligible if he would've been given the nod over TK.

btw, I don't have any problems with the NCAA making BM sit a year, but I don't agree with the ruling that he should lose a year as well.

With Baylor having 3 serviceable QBs and playing respectable with each, TCU doing the same, and OSU having 2 serviceable QBs, it's also going to be interesting to see if LR can do the same and bring a 'Bama type TK back to the table if BM can't go against OSU, or if TK rides the pine in favor or our 3rd teamer.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 08:52 PM
I believe that Mayfield and/or OU is still petitioning to get that year back which would make him a RS Soph this year. We'll see.

I think the hardest thing about OU having more quality at backup is the need to have someone scramble like BM does in order to succeed. I don't think you can teach that. If our O-line makes big strides going into next season, I think we'll be more sound at back-up QB. The other 3 big12 competitors have stronger O-lines; especially Baylor where it is a strength of their team.

kenth68
11/22/2015, 11:09 PM
I think the hardest thing about OU having more quality at backup is the need to have someone scramble like BM does in order to succeed. I don't think you can teach that.

You can't teach that, but you can surely look for it in scouting/recruiting.

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2015, 12:05 AM
You can't teach that, but you can surely look for it in scouting/recruiting.

Perhaps, but I don't think it is a common skill - at least not at Mayfield's level. It's more straight forward to scout/recruit/develop O-lineman that can better protect the passer.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/23/2015, 09:17 AM

100 percent agree and the play calls looked like single reads also..

Pride1Mom
11/23/2015, 10:23 AM
VA Sooner....what Trevor Knight lost was confidence. He played with a lot of moxie his freshman year. Also, TCU is a VERY good team, they just have a bone head coach wanting the two points early in the game. The OU defense changed and TCU started scoring on them.

East Coast Bias
11/23/2015, 03:19 PM
VA Sooner....what Trevor Knight lost was confidence. He played with a lot of moxie his freshman year. Also, TCU is a VERY good team, they just have a bone head coach wanting the two points early in the game. The OU defense changed and TCU started scoring on them.

Maybe it was a confidence issue? And wasn't the TCU game last year when everything blew up on Trevor?Katie Perry did not help either....

birddog
11/23/2015, 03:48 PM
You may well be right - it certainly gives perspective what a difference maker Mayfield is

Its maker bayfield but whatever. Knight will be successful in whatever he does and if thats helping maker get us #8 im all for it. But he needs to help from the sideline.