PDA

View Full Version : "Never again" ... The story of the Sooners' culture change

milesl
11/18/2015, 01:01 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/never-again-the-story-of-the-sooners-culture-change-and/article_3150ce8a-efaa-5e06-bf98-21b0f8350e88.html

"Never again" ... The story of the Sooners' culture change, and how that helped transform their season

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/tulsaworld.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/d0/ed057425-1161-5dd8-be9d-4461f0d90244/564836f38f787.image.jpg?resize=800
Oklahoma's Trevor Knight waits to celebrate with teammates after an Oklahoma touchdown during the NCAA football game between the Oklahoma Sooners and the Baylor Bears at McLane Stadium in Waco, Texas on Saturday, November 14, 2015. IAN MAULE/Tulsa World

NORMAN — “Never again.”

Those two words, according to center and captain Ty Darlington, came up most when the Oklahoma Sooners got back from having their tails kicked by Clemson in the Russell Athletic Bowl last December. When, through text messages and conversations, seven of OU’s most experienced, most important players realized their program had reached a code red.

“There was a culture that needed to be changed,” linebacker and captain Eric Striker said. “We felt like if we started there, then we could do everything we needed to get done on the field, as far as discipline, and maturing off the field. We wanted to change the culture.”

Nearly 11 months later, it seems that culture has changed. The work fostered by Darlington, Striker, Trevor Knight, Charles Tapper, Sterling Shepard, Nila Kasitati and Zack Sanchez last winter came to fruition last spring, when the Sooners put up a unified, dignified front against the Sigma Alpha Epsilon video episode.

Last month, on-field adversity struck the Sooners when Texas stunned them in the Cotton Bowl. They have responded with five straight emphatic victories, the latest being a 44-34 takedown of Baylor which puts them in position to contend for both a Big 12 Conference championship and the College Football Playoff.

Things like execution and coaching have played big roles in OU’s bounceback. But if the Sooners aren’t together in the first place, if they aren’t still in lockstep leaving Dallas on Oct. 10, the football adjustments likely don’t sink in.

This is the story of the Sooners coming together...
What’s going on?

It didn’t take a psychologist to see the culture change Striker referenced was necessary. By the time Clemson was done with them, the Sooners had lost three of their last five to turn a season of great expectations into a calamitous 8-5.

“You look at last year and there’s evidence of when the going got rough, we did not necessarily come together,” Knight said.

When the Sooners returned from Orlando...

“We got together as a team and we had team meeting after team meeting with just the players,” Knight said. “Eventually we were trying to figure out, ‘What is our next move?’ We broke up into position groups and decided these are the things we want to see done.

“And that didn’t work, so we said, ‘Let’s get the leaders of each position group.’”

Knight for the backs, Shepard for the wide receivers, Darlington and Kasitati for the offensive line, Tapper and Striker for the defensive front, and Sanchez for the defensive backs.

Ideally, the influence of that seven-member council would trickle down to OU’s younger players.

“It was us getting together and understanding that we’re rebuilding,” Kasitati said. “There’s a lot of younger guys coming in that are going to have to step up. We as older players have to show these younger guys how to do things, and the way to act and how practice should go, the intensity and energy you have to bring to it. Make them understand that.”

The council’s words were one thing. But deeds sank in more.

“We made sure if we were lifting weights, we were lifting the heaviest,” Tapper said. “If we were running sprints, we were the first ones done. We were getting extra work in, doing all the little things so now in the season, we can tell the young guys, ‘You need to do this because we were doing that.’ They respect us because we’ve been doing it.”

The idea was to set a more positive influence when football returned in the fall. But then the SAE video went viral last spring, and a degree of hell broke loose on OU’s campus.
SAE incident becomes rallying point

“When SAE happened we already had a framework,” Darlington said. “We already had a group of guys that was meeting every week and instituting different changes, self-policing and accountability punishment and that type of stuff. So when that happened, there was no doubt. This is how we’re going to represent the views of this program. We’re going to make our decisions for the team through these seven guys.

“That leadership council or whatever you want to call it, that happened solely because of Clemson. But then it was in place for something much larger.”

It turned out to be more challenging than anything Baylor, Oklahoma State or Texas ever doled out.

“Through the SAE thing, we had guys screaming at each other, yelling at each other, almost fighting,” Knight said. “We had seven guys in that leadership group, so it was an odd number. We’d have one guy say, ‘I don’t know which way I want to go,’ and three guys would say, ‘I want this,’ and three guys, ‘I want that.’

“We would literally stay up hours and hours and hours talking about it. So no, it wasn’t always easy. It’s not ever going to be easy. But it’s continuing to talk and talk and work things out. ‘Let’s try this, let’s try that.’ Ultimately there would be common ground.”

The Sooners, pictured locking arms on Owen Field instead of practicing, became something of a national example of positive influence and responsibility. An unforeseen ordeal became an unexpected rallying point.

“The stuff that went down with SAE made the older guys come out front more and understand we have to do more in that situation,” Kasitati said. “It brought us even closer together and helped us understand each other even more as a team.”
An ‘incredible level of character’ needed

Captains who spoke at Big 12 Media Day last July asserted the Sooners were more brotherhood than football team. SAE was proof.

But could that really translate when games began? Could the Sooners use unification to their benefit when facing their first bit of in-season adversity? How they responded to Texas would provide the answer.

Their leaders spoke, again, after the 24-17 loss. The message?

“What it’s going to take from here on out is an incredible level of character,” Darlington said, “ that our character gets revealed in times of adversity.”

Wasn’t that the case the previous spring? Thus the expectation that this fall wouldn’t be any different.

It hasn’t been, either. The Sooners claimed all of their goals were still before them when they left Dallas a month ago, even as observers scoffed. If they stayed together and responded, they could reach them.

Here they are five wins later, controllers of their own Big 12 destiny and contenders for college football playoff’s ultimate prize. The Sooners didn’t just pay lip service to their disastrous 2014 season, and they are reaping the benefits as a result.

“I think so,” Darlington said outside OU’s victorious locker room at Baylor. “Last January when we came together we resolved not to let it happen again. We weren’t perfect, and we haven’t been perfect since then. But there has definitely been a resolve of leadership that we’re going to take it upon ourselves to do what we need to do to take this team to where we should be as a program, and honor the tradition we had before us.”

Guerin Emig 918-581-8355

[email protected]

SoonerMarkVA
11/18/2015, 01:09 PM
Very interesting. Thanks for posting!

KantoSooner
11/18/2015, 01:13 PM
I hope their efforts are crowned by ultimate success on the field. But, if not, then at least they should be known for their part in turning a sliding program around.
In fact, presuming things continue to go well, the turnaround at OU will be worthy of study.

BoulderSooner79
11/18/2015, 01:32 PM
But, but, but. I thought all the get-off-my-lawn guys told us the hole SAE thing was the coaches being weak and caving into pampered players?

winout
11/18/2015, 02:51 PM
"Never again" except against Texas. What a bogus story. This transformation is more about BM and LR than some slogan.

Breadburner
11/18/2015, 06:44 PM
Lol....What a bunch of ****......

FaninAma
11/18/2015, 10:51 PM
"Never again" except against Texas. What a bogus story. This transformation is more about BM and LR than some slogan.
Yep. My daughters, who are white and were on the OU rowing team, often had football players and other arhletes of all races over to their house for Fellowship of Christian Athletes meetings on a weekly basis. They and their rowing team mates went to the players homes for some meetings. At least 3 white rowers dated black football players. The SAE episode was blown way out of proportion. My daughters were actually disillusioned about how the race issue was played up by some on the football team.

Breadburner
11/18/2015, 10:52 PM
Yep. My daughters, who are white and were on the OU rowing team, often had football players and other arhletes of all races over to their house for Fellowship of Christian Athletes meetings on a weekly basis. They and their rowing team mates went to the players homes for some meetings. At least 3 white rowers dated black football players. The SAE episode was blown way out of proportion. My daughters were actually disillusioned about how the race issue was played up by some on the football team.

Yes...Because we all know the biggest threat to young Black men in this country is 18 year old White frat boys.....

FaninAma
11/18/2015, 10:58 PM
Yes...Because we all know the biggest threat to young Black men in this country is 18 year old White frat boys.....
Apparently David Boren thinks so.

Breadburner
11/19/2015, 08:02 AM
Apparently David Boren thinks so.

He had to do what he had to do......

FaninAma
11/19/2015, 08:49 AM
You mean like stomping on a pissant because it crawled across your foot? Boren decided to feed the notion that there was a real racism problem on the OU campus when nothing could be further from the truth. A lot of students perceived his reaction as a slap in the face.

If the football team needs overblown slights to fire them up then they have a problem. The only reasons this team isn't performing at the same level as last year is , as Winout said, BM and LK and an improved DL.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/19/2015, 10:23 AM

From my perspective the transformation came after the Texas game, not the Clemson game last year. I thought going into the Texas game that we looked like a borderline top 10 that should beat Texas. I kind of think the Texas game was a wake-up call for the team. It sucks that it took that but I honestly don't think if we squeak by and win that game that OU is playing as good as they are now. Since the Texas game this looks like a team that could win a NC.

KantoSooner
11/19/2015, 11:54 AM
Fanin, please tell me that the presence of overblown rhetoric and hyper-politicization of 'issues' on college campuses is not actually a surprise to you. And, as for Boren's actions? Once the incident hit national news it was out of his hands. He sailed OU about as well as anyone could have. Far better than Mizzou, Stanford and others.
Interestingly, I've heard some coastal types talking up OU as an example to the rest of the country.
None of which, of course, changes the picayune nature of the 'offense' that kicked things off...or offers any comment on the overall state of race relations on OU's campus. We live in an age in which everyone is butt hurt all the time and idiots possess technological levers that enable them to amplify their idiocy far beyond what they could have done in years past. We need only look at the Presidential campaign to see that (and I need not even take a position to make my point. Candidates across the spectrum are running who would not have made it 30 days in bygone times).

BoulderSooner79
11/19/2015, 11:56 AM
From my perspective the transformation came after the Texas game, not the Clemson game last year. I thought going into the Texas game that we looked like a borderline top 10 that should beat Texas. I kind of think the Texas game was a wake-up call for the team. It sucks that it took that but I honestly don't think if we squeak by and win that game that OU is playing as good as they are now. Since the Texas game this looks like a team that could win a NC.

From my perspective, going into the horn game we looked like a borderline top 25 team with a struggling O-line. I remember Akron and Tennessee pushing our O-line around and Perine finding little space to move. I still thought we would win, but no slam dunk. The loss may have been a wake-up call that they were not improving quickly enough. I think the schedule that gave us a break from tough D-lines allowed the offense to gel and gain confidence with LR installing more of the offense too. It also gave the coaches on both sides of the ball time to make some line-up adjustments. Instead of bemoaning the horn loss, I'm just glad we beat the Vols and were able to go 4-1 while installing a new offense and training a mostly new O-line. Obviously, BM has been a gift from game 1.

FaninAma
11/19/2015, 12:05 PM
Fanin, please tell me that the presence of overblown rhetoric and hyper-politicization of 'issues' on college campuses is not actually a surprise to you. And, as for Boren's actions? Once the incident hit national news it was out of his hands. He sailed OU about as well as anyone could have. Far better than Mizzou, Stanford and others.
Interestingly, I've heard some coastal types talking up OU as an example to the rest of the country.
None of which, of course, changes the picayune nature of the 'offense' that kicked things off...or offers any comment on the overall state of race relations on OU's campus. We live in an age in which everyone is butt hurt all the time and idiots possess technological levers that enable them to amplify their idiocy far beyond what they could have done in years past. We need only look at the Presidential campaign to see that (and I need not even take a position to make my point. Candidates across the spectrum are running who would not have made it 30 days in bygone times).

No, you're right. But the older, crankier and more cynical I get the less tolerance I have for those in power who actually play into this emotionally charged rheoric because it appears to me that not labeling it the BS that it is just encourages those who use it as a way to justify their actions and failures. Boren is lucky that OU students are a lot more reasonable , smarter and more fair-minded that those on the Missouri campus. I do give credit to the student body and even to cooler heads on the football team(including Stoops) for not letting the issue escalate. I give no credit to Boren. He is a desciple of political correctness and if he's not careful it will bite him in the @$$ someday.

BTW, my daughters really have a good relationship with Kasiatati and Darlington. They are good guys and level-headed. I suspect they played a big role in de-escalating the SAE situation on the football team.

Tear Down This Wall
11/19/2015, 12:08 PM
Culture change, my as*s. The Big 12 is struggling to fill all of its bowl spots - yet again.

Because the conference is crappy, we should always - every season - be in position to win the conference title.

What happened is simple:
(1) The Big 12 kept being mediocre to the point that the preseason leaders were Baylor and TCU
(2) We stopped using a small-front defense as a base
(3) Hired a defensive line coach who knew what he was doing...thank you, Green Bay, for hiring the former coach to make video tapes for you. Make sure he loads last week's game versus Detroit properly.

Nobody except Texas should ever challenge us in this crappy conference. Texas is dead because is went down the stupid rabbit hole of "running quarterbacks" and now has no one who can complete a pass.

Culture change. What are they smoking at the Tulsa World?

manateepower
11/19/2015, 05:42 PM
OU is 9-1, playing it's best football since 2008, poised to make a title run, and everyone in this thread is whining about a POSITIVE article about the team. Must be so miserable to choose to be so negative despite all of the great things that are happening.

And Tear down this wall, how are those "Lincoln Riley won't be any good " and "Mike leach won't succeed at Washington state" prediction working out for you?

BoulderSooner79
11/19/2015, 06:01 PM
OU is 9-1, playing it's best football since 2008, poised to make a title run, and everyone in this thread is whining about a POSITIVE article about the team. Must be so miserable to choose to be so negative despite all of the great things that are happening.

And Tear down this wall, how are those "Lincoln Riley won't be any good " and "Mike leach won't succeed at Washington state" prediction working out for you?

You don't get it - the article was positive about a topic we wanted to be negative about. ;)

I was skeptical about Riley myself, but more in a wait and see kind of way. I'll shout it now, I really like what Riley has done and he has fixed all the issues that frustrated me the most about Josh. And no, I won't change my mind if we don't win out from here - it's the systemic changes I'm looking at. My gauge for Riley's success was if things came together on offense by the end of the year such that I couldn't wait for next year, he would have succeeded. He's already cleared that hurdle with room to spare.

manateepower
11/19/2015, 07:09 PM
You don't get it - the article was positive about a topic we wanted to be negative about. ;)

I was skeptical about Riley myself, but more in a wait and see kind of way. I'll shout it now, I really like what Riley has done and he has fixed all the issues that frustrated me the most about Josh. And no, I won't change my mind if we don't win out from here - it's the systemic changes I'm looking at. My gauge for Riley's success was if things came together on offense by the end of the year such that I couldn't wait for next year, he would have succeeded. He's already cleared that hurdle with room to spare.

Agreed, actually wanna clear it up by saying I wasn't referring to you. :p

Widescreen
11/19/2015, 09:17 PM

I was pretty reserved about his hiring because it felt like Bob had run out of ideas so he was returning to what used to work. Our offense is definitely exceeding my expectations and it's due to Riley and Mayfield.

FaninAma
11/20/2015, 09:44 AM

No ,we're actually disagreeing that it was some magical change in attitude that got the team to this point. It was an improvement in schemes and players. OU lost against texas because they didn't have their best players in and their schemes on both defense and offense sucked. It's the same reason the NE Patriots and Alabama win year after year after year....they have the better schemes and they find the players that fit those schemes.

Also, the SAE incident was bogus and over hyped by the media. It had zero to do with the teams turnaround.

Tear Down This Wall
11/20/2015, 10:55 AM

Ask me when the season is over. Before the season, I said we'd lose 3-5 games; still three left to play. By the way, the offense started chugging a lot better when they gave the ball to Perine more...which was my main concern before the season. The offense was always going to rise and fall on Perine.

As to Wazzu/Leach. Everything is normal: another season with no conference title. So, he's kept his streak is safely intact. The bonus to his act this year, though, was losing to an FCS-level football team. So, the hits keep coming.

Tear Down This Wall
11/20/2015, 10:58 AM
No ,we're actually disagreeing that it was some magical change in attitude that got the team to this point. It was an improvement in schemes and players. OU lost against texas because they didn't have their best players in and their schemes on both defense and offense sucked. It's the same reason the NE Patriots and Alabama win year after year after year....they have the better schemes and they find the players that fit those schemes.

Also, the SAE incident was bogus and over hyped by the media. It had zero to do with the teams turnaround.

Agree. The only "magic" is that the defense went back to a real four man front, coached by a real defensive line coach. Add in the new secondary coaches having reserves ready to go when Sanchez went down, and that's a huge difference from last season - and, season's past - when the defensive coaches were trying to pretend we were TCU.

None of that is magic. That is what coaches and players at schools of Oklahoma's caliber as supposed to do.

BoulderSooner79
11/20/2015, 11:15 AM
Ask me when the season is over. Before the season, I said we'd lose 3-5 games; still three left to play. By the way, the offense started chugging a lot better when they gave the ball to Perine more...which was my main concern before the season. The offense was always going to rise and fall on Perine.

As to Wazzu/Leach. Everything is normal: another season with no conference title. So, he's kept his streak is safely intact. The bonus to his act this year, though, was losing to an FCS-level football team. So, the hits keep coming.

Perine is a big factor, but you can't convince me that Mayfield isn't just as big. We lose the Vol game and Baylor if Mayfield doesn't play lights out.

winout
11/20/2015, 11:42 AM
You've heard the phrase "the wins are more about the Jimmies and Joes than the X's and O's?" Well we could change that in this case to "the wins are more about the Jimmies and Joes than some trivial prose."

Tear Down This Wall
11/20/2015, 01:08 PM
Perine is a big factor, but you can't convince me that Mayfield isn't just as big. We lose the Vol game and Baylor if Mayfield doesn't play lights out.

Yes, Mayfield is a factor in that, unlike Knight, he doesn't throw interceptions. He misses reads which is why he has to scramble around and "make plays" with his feet that Knight was unable to often enough.

That type of quarterbacking can work if you are on a team with enough talent around you. It worked for Johnny Manziel at Texas A&M. Vince Young at Texas. Etc. etc. It doesn't work forever, though, as the Manziels and Youngs eventually find out.

It's fine because we have a running game to bail us out. But, the key has been the defense not playing from a small base. And, I'd throw in that Austin Seibert has done a great job at punter in keeping the opponents pinned back in virtually every game. He's not getting enough press/credit for that.

And...of course, it helps immensely that Baylor's starting QB is out and most of the defense injured. That's just "luck." And, we'll take all of that we can get as well. We've had our share of injuries over the years late in the season that have bitten us. What comes around, goes around.

Tear Down This Wall
11/20/2015, 01:13 PM

Mayfield didn't play lights out against the Vols. The defense and Austin Seibert did. Had Mayfield played lights out for the first three and a half quarters, we'd have won the game by 30 points. Tennessee is a horribly average team.

BoulderSooner79
11/20/2015, 01:26 PM
That type of quarterbacking can work if you are on a team with enough talent around you. It worked for Johnny Manziel at Texas A&M. Vince Young at Texas. Etc. etc. It doesn't work forever, though, as the Manziels and Youngs eventually find out.

If that's the case, I'm fine with it - it's working and that's all I care about. I don't give a ratz azz that Mayfield is not NFL material. Plus, I don't completely buy it because I don't see us that loaded with talent around him. Perine and Shepard - sure. But that O-line? One of the weakest in the conference and yet look at the numbers. Bradford would not succeed behind this line and likely wouldn't stay healthy. BM had zero time against the Vols and Perine could find any holes either. It took Mayfield being Houdini on critical plays along with the defense and kicking game to pull that one out.

FaninAma
11/20/2015, 02:35 PM
BM may miss some of his reads but he doesn't compound that error by making bad passes. I think Sam Bradford was the last QB to see the field as well as Baker although I think Sam did a better job of reading the initial defense.

I hope the defensive improvement continues. That is what you can build a program around. How many outstanding QBs has Alabama had over the last 10 years? And when you really look at Ohio State it is obvious they had some luck last year in their championship run but it was really their defense that led them down the stretch. It was also lack of defense in critical games that has killed Oregon's title hopes the last few years. Florida may very well beat Alabama this year despite mediocre QB play, especially if Bama gets too dependent on their running game(see LSU).

BTW, Alabama's non-confernece schedule included the powerhouses of Middle Tennessee State, Georgia Southern Louisiana Monroe and an average Wisconsin team.

Tear Down This Wall
11/20/2015, 03:37 PM
If that's the case, I'm fine with it - it's working and that's all I care about. I don't give a ratz azz that Mayfield is not NFL material. Plus, I don't completely buy it because I don't see us that loaded with talent around him. Perine and Shepard - sure. But that O-line? One of the weakest in the conference and yet look at the numbers. Bradford would not succeed behind this line and likely wouldn't stay healthy. BM had zero time against the Vols and Perine could find any holes either. It took Mayfield being Houdini on critical plays along with the defense and kicking game to pull that one out.

Agree on some points. As to the O-line...you have to consider the competition. As posted before, we are part of a major/P5 conference that is again struggling to fill all of its bowl spots.

The other thing you are not factoring into the Tennessee game is that their coach is a complete bonehead. Their offense couldn't put up more than 24 against a horribly awful North Texas...on homecoming, no less. Guy has been over his head since the day he set foot on campus. Again, good fortune for us to have scheduled them as they are going through their Bonehead Coaches Brigade stage. We were there 20 years ago.

Also, I'm all for luck. And, our luck turned tremendously in the Tennessee game when their stud LB and one of their defensive backs went out late in the game. Same thing happened to us during OU-Texas 2008 when Reynolds went outand we replaced with Crow.

BoulderSooner79
11/20/2015, 03:58 PM
I agree on the Vol coaching staff. I've said in other posts that the only reason we won is because their coaches are stupid. But I'm just talking about our offense here and our O-line could not block their D-lline at all. That neutralized any advantage we had with Perine or Shepard. The only way we clawed out the points we did get was from BM being gritty and never giving up. It's obviously subjective to say, but I think his attitude has spread all over this team and they fun to watch because of it. Sport is part of the entertainment industry and I'm entertained - that's all. I'm not starry eyed about the greatness of this team. And I think if we do win out and squeak into the CFP, we could easily see a repeat of the Vol or horn game because we still have the same O-line. The Bama or tOSU front seven might just overwhelm them and people here would be moaning about "not showing up" or "bad game plan/play calling", etc. But it won't be me as long as the team stays gritty and fights to the end. It's been a while that I could say that about an OU squad.

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/20/2015, 08:01 PM
Can everyone just shut up and enjoy our success? Who gives a **** about some article, why or how we beat tenn, Lost to Texas, or how good Baylor really is? I personally had pretty low expectations for this season, and I for one am super ****ing pumped to just be where we are. I'm not going to let and dumb **** "journalist" ruin it

No disrespect. Just enjoy it. Cheers! Let's drink. Just win baby

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/20/2015, 08:02 PM
Oh yeah.... **** Texas. And the pokes. And Baylor? Suck a dick.

NTTAWWT

:)

BoulderSooner79
11/20/2015, 10:57 PM
Can everyone just shut up and enjoy our success? Who gives a **** about some article, why or how we beat tenn, Lost to Texas, or how good Baylor really is? I personally had pretty low expectations for this season, and I for one am super ****ing pumped to just be where we are. I'm not going to let and dumb **** "journalist" ruin it

That's exactly what I'm doing! Well, except for the shut-up part - impulse control issue, ya know. :indecisiveness:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/21/2015, 01:03 AM
From my perspective, going into the horn game we looked like a borderline top 25 team with a struggling O-line. I remember Akron and Tennessee pushing our O-line around and Perine finding little space to move. I still thought we would win, but no slam dunk. The loss may have been a wake-up call that they were not improving quickly enough. I think the schedule that gave us a break from tough D-lines allowed the offense to gel and gain confidence with LR installing more of the offense too. It also gave the coaches on both sides of the ball time to make some line-up adjustments. Instead of bemoaning the horn loss, I'm just glad we beat the Vols and were able to go 4-1 while installing a new offense and training a mostly new O-line. Obviously, BM has been a gift from game 1.Good synopsis of the season so far.

Soonerjeepman
11/21/2015, 01:43 AM

yup

Okie35
11/21/2015, 11:34 AM

I agree with we shouldve been running Perine ]

but the Leach thing is nitpicking ....

Washington State head coach Mike Leach is one of 18 semifinalists for the George Munger Collegiate Coach of the Year, Maxwell Football Club president Ron Jaworski announced Friday.

Leach, in his fourth season with the Cougars, has led WSU to a 7-3 record, its best start since 2003, and its first national ranking (No. 24) since 2006.

The Cougars own one of the nation’s top passing attacks (414.4 yards per game) and own road wins over Rutgers, Oregon, Arizona and UCLA.

I agree on the Vol coaching staff. I've said in other posts that the only reason we won is because their coaches are stupid. But I'm just talking about our offense here and our O-line could not block their D-lline at all. That neutralized any advantage we had with Perine or Shepard. The only way we clawed out the points we did get was from BM being gritty and never giving up. It's obviously subjective to say, but I think his attitude has spread all over this team and they fun to watch because of it. Sport is part of the entertainment industry and I'm entertained - that's all. I'm not starry eyed about the greatness of this team. And I think if we do win out and squeak into the CFP, we could easily see a repeat of the Vol or horn game because we still have the same O-line. The Bama or tOSU front seven might just overwhelm them and people here would be moaning about "not showing up" or "bad game plan/play calling", etc. But it won't be me as long as the team stays gritty and fights to the end. It's been a while that I could say that about an OU squad.

Bama struggled in the trenches against Tennessee too.

it would've if players would've pulled a mizzou.. im not glad it happened but it was during the spring so...

FaninAma
11/22/2015, 12:22 AM
I think the question about who or what is resonsible for OU's turnaround got answered tonite.

SoonerMarkVA
11/22/2015, 08:53 AM
I think the question about who or what is resonsible for OU's turnaround got answered tonite.

Clearly Mayfield was a huge part. But it's hard to say just where the line is drawn since 95% of our running production was injured within a few plays of Knight coming in. I know they kept playing Perine, and he has a heart of gold to keep pushing, but it was obvious that ankle was significantly hampering him.

Let's just say the combination of Mayfield, Shepard, Perine, and Mixon are far and away the offense.

FaninAma
11/22/2015, 09:32 AM
Without BM to pick this team up and motivate them we saw the same old Mike Stoops play not to win defense giuving up big play after big play while playing prevent. Without BM this team is 7-4 tops.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 09:53 AM

Granted QB play has made a huge difference, but I'll still take Riley over Heupel any day. Even with BM at the helm, Heupel could not do much with this team given the O-line. And we would still be disorganized and unable to get a play called in a decent amount of time. We don't know what would have happened had BM not fallen into our laps, but my guess is that Thomas would be starting by now and looking better than TK did last year. Or maybe that other kid that decided to transfer would have stayed around and played.

FaninAma
11/22/2015, 02:03 PM
BM makes the players around him better. Last year with BM OU beats TCU and KSU and we are on a roll when we play Baylor at home. Even if Baylor beats us no way do we lose to OSU in Norman so we finish 11-1.

The defense even feeds off Baker because they know they can be aggressive and if they make a mistake Baker and the offense will pick them up. With Knight in Mike Stoops coached tentatively and the players played tentatively. They were passive and just trying not to make a mistake.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 02:11 PM
I certainly buy that we would have been a much better team last year if BM had been allowed to play. That's assuming Josh didn't stick with Knight out of loyalty. What I don't buy is that this year's team would be nearly as good on offense under Heupel given this year's O-line. I don't hate Josh, I just don't think he was equipped for all the aspects of being an OC. I think Riley is and given his age, I think he'll just get better.

FaninAma
11/22/2015, 02:36 PM
One thing LR needs to do is to teach Knight how to read the zone read properly and how to plant a foot and cut upfield instead of stringing out his runs to the sideline.

Tear Down This Wall
11/23/2015, 12:15 PM
One thing LR needs to do is to teach Knight how to read the zone read properly and how to plant a foot and cut upfield instead of stringing out his runs to the sideline.

No kidding. Although, it could be that they have tried to teach him that but either:

(1) He's afraid to take a big hit again due to the past injuries he's had because of them, or
(2) He still thinks he can outrun the pursuit to the end...in which case, he's just not fit mentally for the position.