PDA

View Full Version : Stadium Expansion Questions

jkjsooner
11/17/2015, 10:07 AM
It looks like some steel I beams went up yesterday. That brings a couple of questions I hope someone has answers for:

1. Does that mean the lawsuit is done? I thought the steel work couldn't begin.

2. I'm curious about why they're using steel. The rest of the stadium is almost entirely concrete infrastructure. Is this an effort to save time? I wonder if money played a role. Little bummed that it won't match with the rest of the stadium - even if it is all hidden behind an external structure.

herecomedajudge
11/17/2015, 02:19 PM
Lawsuit is still alive but temporary injunction against OU is on appeal and Oklahoma Supreme has stayed its effect until a decision on appeal is rendered.

oudivesherpa
11/18/2015, 11:08 AM
The judge who issued the ruling is a Mormon Bishop in Norman, is the Plaintiff or his attorney a Mormon? The firm that I retired from (after 35 years) would only use Mormon attorneys in Utah and Nevada. Not saying they are biased but I'm am saying that it's always wise to research a judges background before going to court.

jkjsooner
11/18/2015, 03:21 PM
The SE structure has really started to take off.

http://68.71.138.16:8080/Default.aspx?customerID=29&sID=30

I read somewhere that concrete is faster but I have trouble believing that. These steel beams are going up fast. I remember with the last round of expansion they'd pour a level columns and then sit on it for a while to let it cure before moving to the next level.

Breadburner
11/18/2015, 06:46 PM
The SE structure has really started to take off.

http://68.71.138.16:8080/Default.aspx?customerID=29&sID=30

I read somewhere that concrete is faster but I have trouble believing that. These steel beams are going up fast. I remember with the last round of expansion they'd pour a level columns and then sit on it for a while to let it cure before moving to the next level.

Concrete is not faster than structural steel.....By a long shot....

herecomedajudge
11/18/2015, 06:46 PM
The judge who issued the ruling is a Mormon Bishop in Norman, is the Plaintiff or his attorney a Mormon? The firm that I retired from (after 35 years) would only use Mormon attorneys in Utah and Nevada. Not saying they are biased but I'm am saying that it's always wise to research a judges background before going to court.

I dont normally try to get crosswise on here but I cannot resist responding to this. I have known the judge for many years and his character and integrity are above reproach. Your weak protestation to the contrary (Not saying they are biased), you are saying just that. I wonder if you would have made a similar statement about a judge who was Catholic, Presbyterian, or my personal persuastion, Baptist. This is nothing but religious bigotry.

jkjsooner
11/19/2015, 08:00 AM
Concrete is not faster than structural steel.....By a long shot....

They certainly makes sense. I read the opposite here.

http://www.buildings.com/article-details/articleid/2511/title/concrete-vs-steel/viewall/true.aspx

Anyway, I'm guessing the compact timeline has a lot to do with their choice to do these upgrades with structural steel.

swardboy
11/19/2015, 08:16 AM
I dont normally try to get crosswise on here but I cannot resist responding to this. I have known the judge for many years and his character and integrity are above reproach. Your weak protestation to the contrary (Not saying they are biased), you are saying just that. I wonder if you would have made a similar statement about a judge who was Catholic, Presbyterian, or my personal persuastion, Baptist. This is nothing but religious bigotry.

Are you impugning his 35 year experience of seeing this practice in action? He's just stating a matter of fact.

Turd_Ferguson
11/19/2015, 08:22 AM
I got impugned once...it wasn't as fun as I thought it would be.

oudivesherpa
11/19/2015, 02:13 PM
No, I don't doubt the judges character, but every human has personal biases. This is they type of question that an active press used to investigate, maybe there is nothing here, but the issue certain needs vetting by the press. Why, would a Judge who lives in Norman rule against the University in favor of a Contractor that has virtually no experience in this type of Construction?

I don't live in Oklahoma, but I am baffled by this decision.

badger
11/19/2015, 03:00 PM
The judge who issued the ruling is a Mormon Bishop in Norman, is the Plaintiff or his attorney a Mormon?

Mormon solidarity and bias aside, the judge is also a former state representative that was appointed to this position initially rather than being elected to it (I think he was elected on his own in 2014, however).

Linky (http://www.normantranscript.com/news/local_news/former-legislator-thad-balkman-hired-to-county-district-judge-post/article_d600b773-29e7-59aa-9a70-6e2b33c7e246.html)

Also, his decision was already overruled by a higher court, so it's kind of moot, right? I'm sure it's still under appeal, but construction isn't getting halted while out of state whiners whine that their own state doesn't have a good enough football team for such a big steel contract.

Get better football, Kansas :P

herecomedajudge
11/19/2015, 04:06 PM
His decision had not been set aside. It had been stayed in effect. Appeal has not been decided.

oudivesherpa
11/19/2015, 07:41 PM
Turd, I try to be the Impugnor not the Impungnee.

herecomedajudge
12/3/2015, 10:36 AM
According Norman Transcript, the case has been dismissed, probably because it settled.