PDA

View Full Version : Still think we can't get into the playoffs if we win out?

SoCalBigRed
11/16/2015, 04:01 AM
AP Top 25: Oklahoma State, Oklahoma move up rankings (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-top-25-oklahoma-state-oklahoma-move-rankings-190557571--ncaaf.html)

No. 4 Oklahoma State is the highest ranked team from the Big 12 and Oklahoma moved up five spots to No. 7 in The Associated Press college football poll Sunday.

The top three of No. 1 Clemson, No. 2 Ohio State and No. 3 Alabama is unchanged after all three won on Saturday. The Tigers have 34 first-place votes. Ohio State received 23 and Alabama has four.

The Sooners made a big jump after beating Baylor 44-34 in Waco, Texas. The Bears slipped from No. 4 to No. 10, helping the Cowboys move up a spot. Oklahoma State rallied from 17 points down to win 35-31 at Iowa State on Saturday

olevetonahill
11/16/2015, 05:57 AM
Since i have 200 and my son a 100 on OU to win it all at 35 to 1 odds Im Praying we win OUT LOL

soonercastor
11/16/2015, 08:16 AM
ND needs to lose to stanford and we will control our own destiny.

When it's all said and done we will probably have a slightly better resume, however we lost to a team that they destroyed and their loss is on the road to the #1 and they're Notre Dame.

If they lose we're in the clear, if they don't there will be a debate and I think they get the nod ultimately

swardboy
11/16/2015, 08:47 AM
FWIW Notre Dame alumni Mike Golic thinks OU will jump ND with one loss records, even with a ND win over Stanford, which lost this weekend to Oregon.

BigTip
11/16/2015, 09:16 AM
...and they're Notre Dame.

Arggggggh! I just hate this because it is so true. That's why I hate Notre Dame so much.

Imagine the horror if ND was in the SEC. They would have to lose three times each year to not be in the play off discussions!

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2015, 10:36 AM
FWIW Notre Dame alumni Mike Golic thinks OU will jump ND with one loss records, even with a ND win over Stanford, which lost this weekend to Oregon.

He's not the only one, I've seen a couple of other talking heads speculate the same. It's based on a conference championship making the difference (it applies to OSU too). It requires one of the teams to win out against the other big12 "3", so TCU and BU are effectively eliminated under that scenario. I still think other things will happen such as North Carolina beating Clemson that would let the big12 winner get in.

SoonerMarkVA
11/16/2015, 10:51 AM
He's not the only one, I've seen a couple of other talking heads speculate the same. It's based on a conference championship making the difference (it applies to OSU too). It requires one of the teams to win out against the other big12 "3", so TCU and BU are effectively eliminated under that scenario. I still think other things will happen such as North Carolina beating Clemson that would let the big12 winner get in.

That would be huge, and *really* shake things up.

Pride1Mom
11/16/2015, 10:51 AM
The best thing that OU has going for it is the TRADITION AND THE LARGE FAN BASE. People love watching OU, even the ones that HATE us love watching us. But the idiots they have on the council do not KNOW anything about the Big XII and think that what they see in the Big 10 and SEC is great football. They were amazed at Texas A&M and Missouri, and in the BIG XII those programs were in the middle of the pack!!!

tycat947
11/16/2015, 11:47 AM
The best thing that OU has going for it is the TRADITION AND THE LARGE FAN BASE. People love watching OU, even the ones that HATE us love watching us. But the idiots they have on the council do not KNOW anything about the Big XII and think that what they see in the Big 10 and SEC is great football. They were amazed at Texas A&M and Missouri, and in the BIG XII those programs were in the middle of the pack!!!

Actually, Dr Tom knows about Big 12 and he's using every fiber in his body (along with NU alum Barry Alvarez!) to dis the Big 12. Dr Tom is hypocritical scum!

badger
11/16/2015, 11:48 AM
Maybe we should all play out our seasons first before we worry about what the poll will look like in December :D

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2015, 12:34 PM
Maybe we should all play out our seasons first before we worry about what the poll will look like in December :D

Sacrilege !

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2015, 12:38 PM
I don't see the tradition or TV money coming into the equation. Certainly it shouldn't. I think the games themselves will draw huge interest regardless of the teams exactly because they are playoffs combined with how big college football has become. Ratings certainly has and will continue to factor into all the other bowls where the particular bowl committee has leeway on who they invite.

TAFBSooner
11/16/2015, 12:39 PM

You're thinking logically. I like Forde's bracket: #1 Clemson v. #4 Oklahoma, and #2 Bama v. #3 Domers.

Revenge on the orange tigers, then OU v. ND for the National Championship.

Soonerjeepman
11/16/2015, 12:48 PM

actually had a friend, huge ksu guy telling everyone of FB about cheering for OU or OSU since they have the best shot to getting in....ALMOST a "sec" type deal..lol. Honestly I'd want a Big12 team in, even if it wasn't OU. But as long as we have a shot if we win out then so be it.

BigTip
11/16/2015, 01:14 PM
The Bedlam winner, assuming both teams win this weekend, will be the outright Big 12 champion.
I think it would be really, really difficult to leave them out of the final four.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2015, 02:04 PM
I obviously hope we do get in but I honestly won't be upset if we don't.. Don't lose to a ****ty team that you are much better than.. and it's your rival, so there is no excuse for coming out flat against them for 3 straight years.

When you do that, you are putting your hope in other teams and the committee... Take care of your business when you get the opportunity.

BermudaSooner
11/16/2015, 02:17 PM
I see a lot more scenarios and probability of getting in if we win out, than probability of getting left out. The only real concern at this point it ND, and possibly Florida.

If OU were to hammer TCU and OSU, as long as ND doesn't hammer Stanford, we likely leap frog them. If OU just wins those games within 10 points, and ND hammers Stanford, they probably keep their spot above us. Both just barely win, who knows.

Florida beating Bama in the SEC championship game could be interesting as well. The committee puts such value in Bama, that beating them could cause Florida to jump into the picture.

Would love to see Meat Chicken beat OSU, and OSU beat Iowa in the Big 10 champ game...that could clear a spot.

Lots of football to be played...probably good if OSU beats Baylor this weekend. Would probably be the biggest OU-OSU game ever.

JLMSOONER
11/16/2015, 02:18 PM
You're thinking logically. I like Forde's bracket: #1 Clemson v. #4 Oklahoma, and #2 Bama v. #3 Domers.

Revenge on the orange tigers, then OU v. ND for the National Championship.

I hope Clemson graduated most of its players from last year. Granted we are a better team than we were last year, but that was a huge black eye.

jkjsooner
11/16/2015, 02:34 PM
Florida beating Bama in the SEC championship game could be interesting as well. The committee puts such value in Bama, that beating them could cause Florida to jump into the picture.

But that would drop Bama out of the playoff race. They're not letting a two loss team (especially one who lost their last game) in.

I think you will have one team from the Big 10, one from the SEC, and one from the ACC either way. Iowa and NC both are lower now but should probably jump if they win out over OSU and Clemson.

My only concern is that OSU loses in their championship game but still goes to the playoffs giving the Big 10 two slots. (I guess I could worry the same about Clemson but I don't see the committee doing that if they lose to UNC.)

TAFBSooner
11/16/2015, 02:36 PM
I see a lot more scenarios and probability of getting in if we win out, than probability of getting left out. The only real concern at this point it ND, and possibly Florida.

If OU were to hammer TCU and OSU, as long as ND doesn't hammer Stanford, we likely leap frog them. If OU just wins those games within 10 points, and ND hammers Stanford, they probably keep their spot above us. Both just barely win, who knows.

Would love to see Meat Chicken beat OSU, and OSU beat Iowa in the Big 10 champ game...that could clear a spot.

Lots of football to be played...probably good if OSU beats Baylor this weekend. Would probably be the biggest OU-OSU game ever.

If Florida wins out including SEC championship, would that drop 'Bama (11-2) below us?

Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.

TAFBSooner
11/16/2015, 02:38 PM
But that would drop Bama out of the playoff race. They're not letting a two loss team (especially one who lost their last game) in.

I think you will have one team from the Big 10, one from the SEC, and one from the ACC either way. Iowa and NC both are lower now but should probably jump if they win out over OSU and Clemson.

My only concern is that OSU loses in their championship game but still goes to the playoffs giving the Big 10 two slots.

That would still be a late-season loss. And we know how the committee feels about teams that failed to win a conference championship game.

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2015, 02:59 PM
I hope Clemson graduated most of its players from last year. Granted we are a better team than we were last year, but that was a huge black eye.

Clemson certainly did graduate almost everyone on the defense. That's why BV is getting so much credit for fielding a strong unit after losing so much NFL-level talent. But NC State showed they can be scored on.

If we end up playing Clemson, I don't see last year as being relevant. I don't usually put much stock into a team "not wanting to be there", but OUr team last year did not want to be there. The coaching staff knew changes were coming and were probably spending more time on their resumes and shaking their network than preparing a game plan. The players were extremely down after such a discouraging finish to what looked like a great season early. There was someone on TFB that was at the game last year that posted a message saying that OUr players looked uninterested during pre-game warm-ups while the Clemson players looked stoked. He posted this before the game started. The truth is we were not very good at the end of the season anyway, but adding in the lack of emotion and a rout is predictable. Would not happen this year, at least for the same reasons.

swardboy
11/16/2015, 08:36 PM
Pat Forde thinks we're top four team RIGHT NOW:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/forde-s-fab-four--what-playoff-field-looks-like-after-ranking-wins-of-contenders-005738511-ncaaf.html

hornswaggled
11/17/2015, 03:51 AM
True until you see that the rout is taking place upon some team who is reputed to be the best, but fails miserably to good competion. Then the tv viewers will wonder who the heck picked this loser team, Noter Dame, to be in the playoffs.

Last year everybody in the media with knowledge of college football thought the SEC team would win it all. Suprise, not that way. Four teams in a playoff are not sufficient as long as media and opinion hold sway over the decision as to who gets in.

BoulderSooner79
11/17/2015, 10:45 AM
Alabama did come very close to winning it all last year. If Sims puts just a little air on that ball that got picked in the endzone, Bama most likely wins that game and goes on to crush a very injury riddled UO team. It was clear after watching the semi-finals game that the tOSU-Bama game was the real championship game and whoever won would beat the UO-FSU winner. It could well be those 2 teams again this year.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/17/2015, 11:02 AM
Win the last 2 games and we only have to potentially worry about a beauty contest with ND. Comparing performances against Texas doesn't look good for us but otherwise the only think ND has going for them is a "good loss" to Clemson. I'll admit that the common opponent argument has been a strong one in the past but the committee has already established that a bad loss doesn't DQ a team otherwise Ohio St isn't even in the playoff last year. I personally think the 4 teams should be selected on merit and a bad loss is a bad loss but the committee selects the 4 best teams. I think at this moment OU is one of the 4 best teams and winning the next 2 games will pretty much seal that.

If ND loses to Stanford then the path is clear for OU. If ND wins then a 3-loss Stanford team that will be ranked about 20-22 will be probably their best win especially if Navy loses to Houston and USC loses to Oregon.

Also I know Tennessee has their flaws but they are 17-20 points this year from being undefeated and they likely win their last 2 games to go 8-4. OSU,Bay, TCU, and Tenn are all going to be viewed as quality wins.

BigTip
11/18/2015, 07:42 AM
Since i have 200 and my son a 100 on OU to win it all at 35 to 1 odds Im Praying we win OUT LOL

Right now we are listed at 3-1 to make the play offs and 10-1 to win it all.

Your bet is looking better and better by the day.

FaninAma
11/18/2015, 09:26 AM
If an 11-1 OU team gets left out of the playoffs it is time to start looking for a new conference. BTW, it would hel[p a lot if teams like OSU and Baylor would schedule a decent OOC game every year. Their schedule is killing the Big 12 right now.

olevetonahill
11/18/2015, 10:17 AM
Right now we are listed at 3-1 to make the play offs and 10-1 to win it all.

Your bet is looking better and better by the day.

Yup, After the Saxet loss it jumped to a 100 to 1 LOL
I dint have it in me to put anymore on it LOL

badger
11/18/2015, 11:24 AM
It's kind of odd that the Power 5 didn't really think about this possibility when creating the playoffs, that a four-team playoff would inevitably leave one of them out every year, potentially more if a mid-major like Notre Dame sneaks in.

Oh yes, I just called ND a mid-major. That's what they get for who they're relying on for quality wins. Temple. Really, Temple?

SoonerMarkVA
11/18/2015, 11:43 AM
Another projection has us finishing strong and in the playoffs. Again, this looks just about right to me.

The money quote:

The Sooners are really good. Even before yesterday’s game, they ranked No. 1 according to ESPN’s Football Power Index (FPI), which our model uses to project game outcomes. Oklahoma now has by far the best FPI ranking, so the Sooners are favored to win their two remaining games: at home against TCU next Saturday, and on the road against undefeated rival Oklahoma State (who isn’t shabby, either; the Cowboys have a 25 percent shot of making the playoff).

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/booming-sooners-updated-college-football-playoff-predictions-week-11/

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/18/2015, 11:45 AM
If an 11-1 OU team gets left out of the playoffs it is time to start looking for a new conference. BTW, it would hel[p a lot if teams like OSU and Baylor would schedule a decent OOC game every year. Their schedule is killing the Big 12 right now.

Or pick up 2 more teams. Memphis and Houston. I realize Memphis especially would have to upgrade facilities and I'm not sure how much Bevo would protest Houston in the league but it would seem to be the best solution.

ND does have the Texas game argument over OU but if the committee is really weighing conference championships as a true criteria then ND should never make the playoff.

If OU plays the next 2 games like the last one the committee is going to have a tough time keeping us out.

swardboy
11/18/2015, 11:52 AM
Haven't seen anyone note that the playoff committee placed us at 7th last night.

The third week of the College Football Playoff rankings looks a lot like the second week. At least at the top.

The top four teams were unchanged in the latest edition of the rankings. Clemson stayed at No. 1, Alabama at No. 2, Ohio State at No. 3 and Notre Dame at No. 4. The first two teams out of the four-team playoff field were Iowa at No. 5 and Oklahoma State at No. 6. The Cowboys replaced Baylor in the top six.

Alabama and Notre Dame each have a loss. Clemson, Ohio State, Iowa and Oklahoma State are undefeated. It's clear the committee currently values the way Alabama is playing after losing to Ole Miss at home and the closeness of Notre Dame's loss at Clemson.

View gallery
Oklahoma, which beat Baylor last Saturday, is at No. 7. Outside of possibly Iowa, Oklahoma is in the best position of any team with a loss currently outside the top four to move in. The Sooners play TCU in Week 12 and also still have to play Oklahoma State. However, TCU fell three spots in the rankings to No. 18 after narrowly beating Kansas without the services of QB Trevone Boykin (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/players/203936/) for much of the game.

badger
11/18/2015, 12:30 PM
If the playoff committee wants to send messages, why not send the message to Notre Dame to join a conference like the rest of college football and leave them out till they do unless they go undefeated?

SoonerMarkVA
11/18/2015, 12:33 PM
Because half of them are probably ND groupies.

soonergirlNeugene
11/19/2015, 11:42 PM
Joel Klatt had some interesting things to say about the playoff committee. Apparently the disrespect for the Big 12 is a statistical anomaly and suggests outright bias.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3vLjH1yXRQ

On Fox http://www.foxsports.com/watch/fox-sports-live/video/the-big-12-is-getting-royally-jobbed-here-is-why-111815

soonergirlNeugene
11/19/2015, 11:43 PM
And more Colin Cowherd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt8vK0AZD2U

BoulderSooner79
11/20/2015, 01:05 AM
Beat TCU

tycat947
11/20/2015, 01:22 AM
If the playoff committee wants to send messages, why not send the message to Notre Dame to join a conference like the rest of college football and leave them out till they do unless they go undefeated?

Exactly! How the heII can they get in playoff when they are NOT conference champions! I think as bad as BCS was, this effing playoff committee and their blatant biases are going to be worse. Senile Dr Tom and Barry (NU Alum) Alvarez are leading this anti-Big 12, I'm sure.

BigTip
11/21/2015, 09:02 AM
So. For today. Do we "need" the pokies to beat da' bears. I think it will help, but does it have to happen to give us a chance? If they do lose, which I am thinking there is a high probability of that happening, it will make our game with them less of statement.

Breadburner
11/21/2015, 09:05 AM
We win...We are in....

soonerboomer93
11/21/2015, 09:39 AM
Joel Klatt had some interesting things to say about the playoff committee. Apparently the disrespect for the Big 12 is a statistical anomaly and suggests outright bias.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3vLjH1yXRQ

On Fox http://www.foxsports.com/watch/fox-sports-live/video/the-big-12-is-getting-royally-jobbed-here-is-why-111815

Joel's podcast is pretty interesting. I haven't listen to the clips, but he's gone pretty indepth on the podcast analyzing the choices by the selection committee and biases, etc.

FaninAma
11/21/2015, 10:14 AM
2 of the 4 Gameday hosts said Notre Dame should get in over the Big 12 Champion if the Irish win out.....even if the Big 12 Champion is an undefeated Okie State.

JLMSOONER
11/21/2015, 10:20 AM
Beat TCU

^^^^Priority 1! Don't come out flat. Hit em' in the mouth on the first possession and don't look back!!!!

Okie35
11/21/2015, 11:18 AM
ND needs to lose to stanford and we will control our own destination.

When it's all said and done we will probably have a slightly better resume, however we lost to a team that they destroyed and their loss is on the road to the #1 and they're Notre Dame.

If they lose we're in the clear, if they don't there will be a debate and I think they get the nod ultimately

fixed and i do think Stanford may beat ND. ND really is the only thing stopping us from getting in if we won out

BeaSooner
11/21/2015, 06:33 PM
Everyone argues about the Big XII out-of-conference strength of schedule all while 'Bama is playing Charleston Southern this week? Screw the SEC.

SoCalBigRed
11/21/2015, 07:28 PM
Michigan St., decided to shake things up for everyone.

jkjsooner
11/21/2015, 07:54 PM
I don't think MSU beating OSU is good for us. Now there are three Big 10 teams fighting for the playoffs and they may try to get two teams in. If OSU wins out the committee may put them in along with the MSU/Iowa winner.

We will have better wins than OSU and our loss was much earlier but they certainly have a better loss.

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/21/2015, 08:06 PM
too late in the season to lose. tOSU finally plays a tough opponent, and the rack of 127 yards of offense, at home

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/21/2015, 08:12 PM
pokes tied it up

SoCalBigRed
11/21/2015, 09:58 PM
I don't think MSU beating OSU is good for us. Now there are three Big 10 teams fighting for the playoffs and they may try to get two teams in. If OSU wins out the committee may put them in along with the MSU/Iowa winner.

We will have better wins than OSU and our loss was much earlier but they certainly have a better loss.

While I had similar thoughts, and don't see it helping us except it knocks off another undefeated...

There are not going to be two Big 10 teams in the playoffs.

SoCalBigRed
11/22/2015, 12:12 AM
LOL at those that think ND not even scoring 20, barely beating an unranked opponent by 3... is a better performance than us beating a ranked opponent, that obviously spent their KU week, preparing for us.

OUrs was an ugly win. One of the ugliest I've seen and had me chewing and spitting out nails, but we still beat a ranked opponent.

Okie35
11/22/2015, 12:12 AM
Michigan St., decided to shake things up for everyone.

Not really they lost to an awful Nebraska team no more than 3 weeks ago. No way in hell they should be over us even if they won out. If Iowa won out though ... They'll be in

SoCalBigRed
11/22/2015, 12:14 AM
Not really they lost to an awful Nebraska team no more than 3 weeks ago. No way in hell they should be over us even if they won out.

Except, them beating Ohio St, who was ranked above us... in their house.

An unbeaten losing, shakes things up, under almost any scenario.

BB37
11/22/2015, 12:16 AM
With the ags losing tonight, and with our meltdown in the 2nd half without BM, I'm not sure a win next week will be enough. And that's a big "if" until we know BM's status.

SoonerMarkVA
11/22/2015, 12:18 AM
Honestly, I think Poke hurt our chances more tonight than we did. Them losing makes more of a mess at the top of the XII, and is all the excuse the "committee" needs to discount our win (if we get it, which pretty much means if Mayfield can go).

Okie35
11/22/2015, 12:20 AM

Once again we beat Baylor more convincingly. Baylor also has a better win now than Ohio State. We should be more worried about Iowa.

Nobody burns Michigan state over their ****ty loss but us I don't get it. Michigan State's was fresh too and also other than ppl say oh Ohio state were last years champs ppl were getting on them about how unimpressive they are.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 12:20 AM
I'll just be glad if we can win next week and I don't think it will be easy. It would be the first conference title since the '10 season and that's way too effin' long.

SoCalBigRed
11/22/2015, 12:21 AM
They said it was a precautionary measure. He's fine.

The committee is not going to sit down and analyze our performance. They're going to look at the score, the opponent. Same as ND. But, if you really think they're going to break down our performance, how do you think those 5, or 6 turnovers will work for ND.

And are you all losing sight of the fact, Ohio St, just lost in their house. They need some things to happen, for them to even win the Big 10. Seriously...

guido911
11/22/2015, 12:23 AM

OR, the inquisitors on the playoff committee realize that that the Big 10 sucks. Yes, sucks. I can just see Mich State leaping us. Just more salt.

BB37
11/22/2015, 12:24 AM
They said it was a precautionary measure. He's fine...

Not quite. Just heard Stoops on the radio say that BM reported having headaches at halftime.

soonercastor
11/22/2015, 12:28 AM
ND has to lose to Stanford. That will solve everything.

MSU will just take Ohio state's spot. They can justify MSU over OU easily. In fact don't be surprised if MSU s above us on Tuesday. So me MSU's win doesn't mean that much.

They will also justify ND over OU easily, expect Navy to have a good bump in the rankings on Tuesday.

This isn't what I think should happen, but if you've paid attention to what those fools on the committee have been doing MSU and ND will both get in over us. But ND losing removes any argument.

Stanford will be at home, so that helps. If Cal can beat Stanford tonight, even better.

SoCalBigRed
11/22/2015, 12:32 AM
Yeah. He got his bell rung pretty good.

I'm sitting here in my house, and after watching that game, I have a headache.

He came back in the game, he was performing still. He came out after half, but without his helmet. We got vague stories about him blinking his eyes, or shaking his head. That's it. He was standing on the sidelines, rooting the team on.

If you want worry all week, hey man. Fine by me. In my opinion, in the short years I played and the years I've watched... he'll be fine, come Saturday. Wouldn't surprise me to see them play it up, but you can bet the aggies, are only going to prepare for Baker.

guido911
11/22/2015, 12:40 AM
ND has to lose to Stanford. That will solve everything.

MSU will just take Ohio state's spot. They can justify MSU over OU easily. In fact don't be surprised if MSU s above us on Tuesday. So me MSU's win doesn't mean that much.

They will also justify ND over OU easily, expect Navy to have a good bump in the rankings on Tuesday.

This isn't what I think should happen, but if you've paid attention to what those fools on the committee have been doing MSU and ND will both get in over us. But ND losing removes any argument.

Stanford will be at home, so that helps. If Cal can beat Stanford tonight, even better.

For MSU to take Ohio State's spot, MSU would have to leap Florida, OU, Iowa, and Notre Dame--all winners this week. And what do you do about Baylor who handily beat #6 Ok State in its house?

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 12:40 AM
They said it was a precautionary measure. He's fine.

That's exactly what they say when a player fails concussion protocol. They *have* to sit him and only the doctor can put him back in - not the coach. They will run much more comprehensive tests in the coming days and if he doesn't pass, he can't play next week. They said he already had a headache which is not a good sign. And he wasn't doing any cheering on the sideline either, clearly out of character.

TAFBSooner
11/22/2015, 12:41 AM

He came back in the game, he was performing still. He came out after half, but without his helmet. We got vague stories about him blinking his eyes, or shaking his head. That's it. He was standing on the sidelines, rooting the team on.

If you want worry all week, hey man. Fine by me. In my opinion, in the short years I played and the years I've watched... he'll be fine, come Saturday. Wouldn't surprise me to see them play it up, but you can bet the aggies, are only going to prepare for Baker.

I'm worried, hope you're right. Midway through the fourth I thought he looked like a homeless dude. But then I probably looked the same way.

soonergirlNeugene
11/22/2015, 12:43 AM
Someone find that kid a dark equipment room to hang out in till next weekend.

FaninAma
11/22/2015, 12:50 AM
The selection committee was looking for an excuse to leave the Big 12 out of the playoffs. I think Okie State and OU's second half performance gave them their excuse. A one loss Big 10 team, a one loss ND , and a one loss SEC team will all get in before the Big 12 champion.

olevetonahill
11/22/2015, 01:00 AM
Play off Hopes For OU are over !

guido911
11/22/2015, 01:00 AM
The selection committee was looking for an excuse to leave the Big 12 out of the playoffs. I think Okie State and OU's second half performance gave them their excuse. A one loss Big 10 team, a one loss ND , and a one loss SEC team will all get in before the Big 12 champion.

There is a X factor if OU beats OSU next week. NEVER underestimate the bitching power of Bob Stoops before the CFP is finalized. He is Yoda in that regard.

BigTip
11/22/2015, 01:07 AM
There is a X factor if OU beats OSU next week. NEVER underestimate the bitching power of Bob Stoops before the CFP is finalized. He is Yoda in that regard.

And a 62-10 score would help too!

soonercastor
11/22/2015, 01:07 AM
For MSU to take Ohio State's spot, MSU would have to leap Florida, OU, Iowa, and Notre Dame--all winners this week. And what do you do about Baylor who handily beat #6 Ok State in its house?
I didn't mean in this week's rankings, I'm talking about the final rankings. I fully expect them to be ranked above of OU this week though.

Clemson
Alabama
Iowa
Notre Dame
MSU
OU
Baylor
Ohio St
Ok State
Florida

BigTip
11/22/2015, 01:11 AM
I didn't mean in this week's rankings, I'm talking about the final rankings. I fully expect them to be ranked above of OU this week though.

Clemson
Alabama
Iowa
Notre Dame
MSU
OU
Baylor
Ohio St
Ok State
Florida

Looks pretty reasonable except for the pokies. They'll drop out of sight especially after their second loss.

olevetonahill
11/22/2015, 01:12 AM

YOU may have played But I bet ya never got yer Bell rung.
The way they screen for concussions Im hopeful but Doubtful BM will be back.The Young Man wanted back in there .

guido911
11/22/2015, 01:15 AM

Clemson
Alabama
Iowa
Notre Dame
MSU
OU
Baylor
Ohio St
Ok State
Florida
I have a hard time with ND not getting leaped by MSU if OU gets leaped. They SUCKED against a 3-7 BC team. And what about MSU getting that gift of a win over Michigan (should have lost that one), and now the confirmed fact that Ohio State was overrated and never played anyone until just this week..

My view:

Clemson
Alabama
Iowa
ND (really a place setter)
OU
MSU
Baylor
Ohio State
OSU
Fla.

No way 2 teams from the Big 10 should be in the top 5. Especially if one is a one loss team

soonercastor
11/22/2015, 01:16 AM
The way they screen for concussions Im hopeful but Doubtful BM will be back.The Young Man wanted back in there .

Yeah I posted on another forum that there's no way he was not concussed right after the play.
Then they put him back in there and he seemed fine.
I agree with you, with the new protocol I'm not sure we will see him next week but hopefully we do or this would leave a bitter taste in the mouth.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 01:47 AM

Yep, this isn't the old rub-some-dirt-on-it days. They take this sh.it seriously. I thought the staff screwed up leaving him in the game right after it happened. I told my wife I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play after halftime.

soonergirlNeugene
11/22/2015, 01:51 AM
The AP has shots of Baker running out onto the field to celebrate with Parker at the end. If he were concerned about a concussion, I doubt he'd be jumping around that much. http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/matt-dimon-steven-parker-and-baker-mayfield-of-the-oklahoma-sooners-picture-id498233270

SoCalBigRed
11/22/2015, 02:12 AM
Players get checked for concussions all the time... And you have absolutely NO IDEA what I've been through medically. A concussion, is akin to a freaking sneeze, for me. I've got a 17" scar, 2 aortic aneurysms, a false lumen that extends the length of my torso, and had 2 major strokes... to compare a concussion to, which I've suffered also.

So yeah, I think I can relate just a little bit.

The headache is not a definitive sign of anything, other than a warning sign to monitor. You get knocked in the head like that, you're going to have a headache. He wasn't loopy getting up. Stumbling around. In fact, the way he grabbed his ear holes, reminded be of that ringing in your ears, that felt like your ear drums were going to shatter, if you got hit just right (or the coach's whistle)

Who knows what will happen? I've repeatedly stated, in my opinion, and in my own personal experience, which I don't talk about much anymore. But, I sure as heck know what a concussion is.

I'm not going to spend all week wigging out about it. I expect to see him suited up, ready to play Saturday.

I'm more worried about the LosuRS playing way over their heads, after crapping away their season again. Now they'll be bent on destroying ours.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 02:17 AM
Players get checked for concussions all the time... And you have absolutely NO IDEA what I've been through medically. A concussion, is akin to a freaking sneeze, for me. I've got a 17" scar, 2 aortic aneurysms, a false lumen that extends the length of my torso, and had 2 major strokes... to compare a concussion to, which I've suffered also.

Sounds like you're day to day for next week.

SoCalBigRed
11/22/2015, 02:30 AM
Sounds like you're day to day for next week.

I've actually been day to day, for over 6 years. Every doctor I've ever met, since that night, has said one of two things, "you should be dead," or "I don't understand how you're alive."

My own surgeon broke down and cried, when he saw me, 4 years later. He said, I was the last person he ever expected to see alive again.

Remember John Ritter? Same thing that killed him. Type A/B dissection, 3 aortic aneurysms (the one that shredded the valve above my heart was the only part they could fix - 6cm out of all of it). My aorta, is shredded on the inside from the top of my carotid arteries in my neck, to just short of the femoral artery in my right leg.

So yeah, things are kind of interesting here, at times.

Okie35
11/22/2015, 09:07 AM

Clemson
Alabama
Iowa
Notre Dame
MSU
OU
Baylor
Ohio St
Ok State
Florida

Which I don't get ppl been only ranking Ohio state high because they are the defending champs but they always said they don't look like they're great but we will rank them there anyway... All of a sudden Michigan state barely beats them within the same 3 weeks they lose to an awful Nebraska team. The big ten is a mediocre conference. Michigan State shouldn't be higher than us(they shouldn't have even been 9) but you're right I can see it happening. We have better wins than Michigan state and Ohio state combined though. 6/7 wins over bowl eligible teams.

tooslow
11/22/2015, 11:49 AM
As far as our rankings, I think it depends on which OU team the committee is ranking. If it's the one with Knight at the helm, I'll live with whatever they decide. If it's the team with Mayfield running the show, I expect to see us move up to #5, with a win next weekend pushing us to #4. Hell, even if we win next weekend with Knight, I can already hear the committee saying they gave the last spot to ND (if they finish with 1 loss) due to our uncertainty at the QB position for the playoffs.

On a side note, does it not seem like almost every other team has decent backup QBs, or does our D make them look good? I thought our D had turned the corner against being suspect against big plays from backups, but damn, it felt like many games in past years where the D gives up several big plays/mistakes to let teams back in it. I also give them credit for the win. Hell of a play to stop the 2 pt conversion. Speaking of the call to go for 2, it's only a dumb call if it fails, right?

I feel bad for TK. He was on top of the world after the Bama game. There was a recent article written about him that praised him for not transferring after Mayfield won the starting job. After last season, and last night when his play mattered, I can't see any other major school wanting him, with the exception of those that have Bama on their schedule. ;)

olevetonahill
11/22/2015, 12:02 PM
I've actually been day to day, for over 6 years. Every doctor I've ever met, since that night, has said one of two things, "you should be dead," or "I don't understand how you're alive."

My own surgeon broke down and cried, when he saw me, 4 years later. He said, I was the last person he ever expected to see alive again.

Remember John Ritter? Same thing that killed him. Type A/B dissection, 3 aortic aneurysms (the one that shredded the valve above my heart was the only part they could fix - 6cm out of all of it). My aorta, is shredded on the inside from the top of my carotid arteries in my neck, to just short of the femoral artery in my right leg.

I wish you well, Didnt mean to sound so flip. Good luck and may you see many more NCs for the Sooners.

SoonerMarkVA
11/22/2015, 12:05 PM
Yep, this isn't the old rub-some-dirt-on-it days. They take this sh.it seriously. I thought the staff screwed up leaving him in the game right after it happened. I told my wife I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play after halftime.

Agreed. The prudent thing would have been to pull him right away, get him to the locker room, and evaluate. Then decide after half-time if they think he's OK.

I was not happy about that. I'm also not too happy about Perine. Guy was clearly struggling, good as he is, and I hope it didn't aggravate anything further.

swardboy
11/22/2015, 02:06 PM
The AP coaches poll has us at #5.

Okie35
11/22/2015, 02:07 PM
The AP coaches poll has us at #5.

I was just going to say that. We will be fine if we win out.

SoonerorLater
11/22/2015, 02:32 PM
"Still think we can't get into the playoffs if we win out"?

No idea and that is the whole problem with this sham of a system. The term 'playoff' conjures up an idea of crowning a champion based on objective criteria which should be based off of quantifiable on-field results. This is still nothing more than a beauty contest based on some nebulous, sliding scale known only to a group of twelve metaphoric wise men sitting around a table who have obvious conflicts of interest.

Sadly enough we could get a clearer, less biased picture of the four best, most deserving teams by surveying Las Vegas odds.

SicEmBaylor
11/22/2015, 02:41 PM
It absolutely pains the hell out of me to root for an OSU Bedlam win. My rule is that I *always* want OU to win every game except against us and except when it's in our clear best interest for OU to lose. Unfortunately, that latter caveat is the case here.

With Baylor and OSU splitting the Big XII Championship (assuming we both win out), we would have the head-to-head against OSU just like we had against TCU last season.

....and look how well that turned out for us and the Big XII!

SicEmBaylor
11/22/2015, 02:43 PM
OU-OSU

What sorcery is this that keeps changing B---E---D---L---A---M to "OU-OSU?"

guido911
11/22/2015, 02:59 PM
OU-OSU

Bedlam is a rivalry name. These teams are playing a game of national importance, and for those that do not know what Bedlam means OU-OSU fixes that. But still, there is some sorcery involved..

BigTip
11/22/2015, 03:07 PM
OU-OSU

Department of Homeland Security

FaninAma
11/22/2015, 03:14 PM

My wish for myself is that I live long enough to see my family happy and secure with an understanding of what's really important in life. I wish for that same contentment for you.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 03:39 PM
My wish for myself is that I live long enough to see my family happy and secure with an understanding of what's really important in life. I wish for that same contentment for you.

This x1000

I did have 1 stay in the ICU where doctors claimed I was in serious peril of dying (I never believed them). It does make you think of the big picture afterward and I count my blessings that my grown kids are in a good place and my wife is a competent, independent and strong person that could carry on without me. I still plan to stick around for a while if for no other reason than to annoy you bastages. :P

swardboy
11/22/2015, 05:40 PM
Mission accomplished.

:encouragement:

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2015, 05:46 PM
Mission accomplished.

:encouragement:

Thank-you, thank-you very much <\Elvis lip snarl\>

tooslow
11/22/2015, 05:48 PM
It absolutely pains the hell out of me to root for an OSU OU-OSU win. My rule is that I *always* want OU to win every game except against us and except when it's in our clear best interest for OU to lose. Unfortunately, that latter caveat is the case here.

With Baylor and OSU splitting the Big XII Championship (assuming we both win out), we would have the head-to-head against OSU just like we had against TCU last season.

....and look how well that turned out for us and the Big XII!

Starting this season, no more split Championships in the Big XII. This was a direct result of the fiasco from how last season ended. Only 1 of 3 teams can now be declared Big XII Champion, but we are the only one that doesn't need help.

If Conference Championships are so important to the committee, why don't they just skip ND over and force them to join a Conference? If the B12 got jobbed last year because there was no single Champion recognized, ND needs to be judged similarly. Better yet, they're part of the ACC in all sports but football. For playoff rankings, treat the football team like they were in the ACC since I think they have to play 4 ACC schools each year. They lost to Clemson, so they wouldn't even be in the ACC Championship game. Hell, why do they deserve another shot at Clemson over other 1 loss teams that haven't been able to play them? As Bob said many many years ago about Missouri. This ain't golf. You don't get to take a mulligan and try again.

SoCalBigRed
11/22/2015, 06:11 PM
Heck, I think the only reason the Good Lord kept me around, was to annoy people. I haven't figured any other reason. Its been a brutal and humbling 6 years. I'm really not kidding, with doctors' reactions. It was almost comedic sometimes. But, there's so many things screwed up in me, I really don't know it all myself. I get yearly scans, they meet with me, tell me something and I go, "Huh? You never told me that..." Then they'll explain it in some medical terminology, how they did... and my eyes glaze over. In one ear, out the other.

I was doing some stretching, late one night. I remember pain so bad, I've blocked out the memory of it. I just remember the surprise. Waking up my estranged, then... waking up in the hospital like 5 days later.

Its not all doom and gloom. It took a while, but it changed my perspective on things that are important and what's not. I still struggle with it of course. But, I think I'm heading down the right path. The military had to cop to taking a lot of the responsibility, so I'm doing OK.

Thanks for the well-wishes, understanding.

Baker still doesn't have a concussion. :biggrin:

Soonerjeepman
11/22/2015, 06:29 PM

Dang, SoCal...wish you the best. I always TRY to really remember what's important...then I get on the political thread and it all goes to hell in a hand basket! lol.

Seriously though, I'm 51 and realize I'm over and heading down. I want to snowplow most of the way and just enjoy it...no race to the bottom.

Prayers and hope for you~

olevetonahill
11/22/2015, 06:33 PM
Heck, I think the only reason the Good Lord kept me around, was to annoy people. I haven't figured any other reason. Its been a brutal and humbling 6 years. I'm really not kidding, with doctors' reactions. It was almost comedic sometimes. But, there's so many things screwed up in me, I really don't know it all myself. I get yearly scans, they meet with me, tell me something and I go, "Huh? You never told me that..." Then they'll explain it in some medical terminology, how they did... and my eyes glaze over. In one ear, out the other.

I was doing some stretching, late one night. I remember pain so bad, I've blocked out the memory of it. I just remember the surprise. Waking up my estranged, then... waking up in the hospital like 5 days later.

Its not all doom and gloom. It took a while, but it changed my perspective on things that are important and what's not. I still struggle with it of course. But, I think I'm heading down the right path. The military had to cop to taking a lot of the responsibility, so I'm doing OK.

Thanks for the well-wishes, understanding.

Baker still doesn't have a concussion. :biggrin:

I hope yer right , Glad the VA taking care of you, I think they do a Great job .

soonergirlNeugene
11/22/2015, 06:33 PM
OU-OSU

Personally, I also find B-E-D-L-A-M-B to be acceptable.

SoonerMarkVA
11/22/2015, 08:41 PM
Personally, I also find B-E-D-L-A-M-B to be acceptable.

"Hay! I ain't no pederfyle!!1" - some indignant poke

BigTip
11/22/2015, 11:16 PM
OU-OSU
Beblam
B edlam
OU-OSUb
Bedla m

Just a test of the magic.
Veeeeery interesting.

olevetonahill
11/22/2015, 11:21 PM
OU-OSU
Beblam
B edlam
OU-OSUb
Bedla m

Veeeeery interesting.

Several years back one of the Admins that no longer post here, went into the Boards settings and changed it where it automaticly changes it to bedlam from B.dlam

soonerboomer93
11/23/2015, 03:05 AM
Starting this season, no more split Championships in the Big XII. This was a direct result of the fiasco from how last season ended. Only 1 of 3 teams can now be declared Big XII Champion, but we are the only one that doesn't need help.

If Conference Championships are so important to the committee, why don't they just skip ND over and force them to join a Conference? If the B12 got jobbed last year because there was no single Champion recognized, ND needs to be judged similarly. Better yet, they're part of the ACC in all sports but football. For playoff rankings, treat the football team like they were in the ACC since I think they have to play 4 ACC schools each year. They lost to Clemson, so they wouldn't even be in the ACC Championship game. Hell, why do they deserve another shot at Clemson over other 1 loss teams that haven't been able to play them? As Bob said many many years ago about Missouri. This ain't golf. You don't get to take a mulligan and try again.

It's like 6 games, and they have some sort of deal where it's ACC team or Notre Dame when it comes to the bowl iirc.

But yeah, they should be treated as an ACC team.

olevetonahill
11/23/2015, 03:59 AM
OU-OSU
Beblam
B edlam
OU-OSUb
Bedla m

Veeeeery interesting.

n/m

BigTip
11/23/2015, 07:34 AM
Several years back one of the Admins that no longer post here, went into the Boards settings and changed it where it automaticly changes it to bedlam from B.dlam

Yup, figured that. But why? Did he think it was such a cliche term he was tired of seeing it?

TAFBSooner
11/23/2015, 12:47 PM
Yup, figured that. But why? Did he think it was such a cliche term he was tired of seeing it?

The justification is that the term originally applied only to OU-OSU wrestling matches.

The reason is that giving the football series a name be-upgrades the series and through it the opponent, beyond how important said opponent is to us on their own.

The importance of the game to each team is inversely proportional to the number of wins that team has had in the series. When we win, it's one out of 80-something. If they were to pull it off, it would be one out of 19 times in all of history.

BigTip
11/23/2015, 10:37 PM
Ha! Now that I think of it I remember when it referred to only wrestling.

Thanks for the explanation and the history of the black magic.

herecomedajudge
11/26/2015, 08:11 PM
OU - OSU

swardboy
11/26/2015, 09:17 PM
Game Day Location!

olevetonahill
11/26/2015, 11:24 PM

There are several words that auto change cant remember who it was . But years ago we all got in a habit of sayin ****** *******s
He got tired of that and changed it also. know er about ers is the phrase . we would say that when needed info about a subject!
LOL

Pretty much just whim and winsey

Mazeppa
11/26/2015, 11:46 PM
That name was extended to the football series to give that team up north relevance in the series. It only benefits them, so real OU fans will not use that term.

SoCalBigRed
11/28/2015, 11:58 PM
MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

We are IN!