PDA

View Full Version : A not Oklahoma feel good story

Jacie
11/15/2015, 10:51 AM
It was late, but New Mexico shocked the Mountain West on Saturday night.

By Pat Forde
Yahoo Sports

The Lobos reached bowl eligibility for the first time in eight years the hardest way possible in their league: they beat Boise State on the blue turf.

Bob Davie’s team – yes, that Bob Davie – was a 30-point underdog against the Broncos but never trailed in a 31-24 victory. It took advantage of a plus-two turnover margin and four plays of 40-plus yards to beat the league kingpin in its own backyard. That’s despite Boise have a 40-11 edge in first downs.

The Broncos nearly produced a fifth straight week of miracle finishes on the last play. A couple of laterals sent a Boise receiver sprinting through the New Mexico defense until he was stopped by a game-saving tackle inside the 5-yard line.

Last week against Utah State, the Lobos reached the five-win plateau for the first time since 2008 when the Aggies missed a field goal with a minute left. Saturday they took it up to six. Their past three wins have come by a total of nine points, but a long-dormant program won’t be apologizing for anything it has gotten this season.

Jack T.
11/15/2015, 11:25 AM
Poooooor Boise State. *snicker*

NMSooner'80
11/17/2015, 12:28 AM
I had to move back to Oklahoma for job reasons, but I sure loved that outcome. I was a season ticket-holder at UNM for 16 years. It's also cool that they have turned it around after a disastrous coaching hire that preceded Davie.

People seem to be reacting more to the MMA "upset" (Holly Holm over Ronda Rousey) in Albuquerque, but they might just have to pay attention to football for the last two games (both at home). I think there's talk they want to get Holm to appear at halftime this weekend in Albuquerque to take a bow. That might be worth a few more thousand folks in the stands.

Oh, and I was also in Phoenix for the "Fiasco Bowl" nine years ago against the Potato Aggies. They've taken over BYU's role in the MWC as the league's "darlings." I've heard the officiating was atrocious in favor of the Smurfs, and that wasn't even enough to get the win. So having seen that squirrelly ending that was a complete embarrassment for OU, I really got an extra kick out of seeing those bozos on the wrong end of one to my "other" team.