PDA

View Full Version : Baker Mayfield

soonercastor
11/15/2015, 12:04 AM
WOW!

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/6-01-2015/eruBIH.gif

Oh yeah and Sheppard was not very happy about not getting to play all of the last two games vs Baylor

swardboy
11/15/2015, 12:05 AM
Herbie started talking it up. He was shocked at Baker's arm strength.

birddog
11/15/2015, 12:31 AM
Bake is one of those qbs that frustrates opponents with his mobility and creativity. Its so nice to have him on our side. What a cool mf'er.

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2015, 01:01 AM
Anyone that doesn't like Mayfield as QB, doesn't like football. They should put his picture next to the definition of competitor on wikipedia.

Piware
11/15/2015, 01:26 AM
Anyone that doesn't like Mayfield as QB, doesn't like football. They should put his picture next to the definition of competitor on wikipedia. He just amazes me and I love the way the team feeds off his energy.

winout
11/15/2015, 01:43 AM
Thing that amazes me, he has several throws dropped where he hit the guys in the hand in crucial moments. We still win by 10.

Curly Bill
11/15/2015, 02:09 AM
Dare I say he has some of that "it" factor?!

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2015, 02:25 AM
Dare I say he has some of that "it" factor?!

The stats they put up comparing Mayfield with White's and Bradford's Heisman years after 10 games was pretty telling. He was halfway between White and Bradford in most categories and of course, far better in the running stats. I guarantee he's done this with a much weaker O-line than we had in '03 or '08.

Curly Bill
11/15/2015, 02:33 AM
I didn't know he was as athletic and able to run around like he does. Of course I didn't pay much attention to him when he was at TT.

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2015, 03:09 AM
I think back to fall camp when all the reports had a tight 3-way QB competition. I'm not buying it anymore - I think it was a slam dunk all along.

SoonerStormchaser
11/15/2015, 03:29 AM
What sucks is he still won't get any REAL Heisman consideration, because everyone's sick of QBs winning it and are now sniffing the jocks of tOSU and Bama RB's.

Jacie
11/15/2015, 10:16 AM
He's got that bandanna look working for him too. Imagine him at The Downtown Athletic Cub wearing it with a tuxedo accepting the Heisman Trophy . . .

CatfishSooner
11/15/2015, 10:31 AM
If Baker plays like last night for the rest of the year he gets OU its 6th Heisman Winner and 8th National Championship!!!! HE is unbelievable...what a gamer!!!

yermom
11/15/2015, 10:42 AM
if he keeps it up, he'll at least get invited

we saw Henry up close a few years ago... he's pretty good

JLMSOONER
11/15/2015, 11:06 AM

True that. It seemed that if Saban had kept handing that kid the ball the game may have been tighter.

ouduckhunter
11/15/2015, 11:16 AM
He's a baller.

DrZaius
11/15/2015, 11:17 AM
What sucks is he still won't get any REAL Heisman consideration, because everyone's sick of QBs winning it and are now sniffing the jocks of tOSU and Bama RB's.

I would love Baker to win it. But Henry! Damn that kid is big and fast.

SoonerMarkVA
11/15/2015, 11:26 AM
The stats they put up comparing Mayfield with White's and Bradford's Heisman years after 10 games was pretty telling. He was halfway between White and Bradford in most categories and of course, far better in the running stats. I guarantee he's done this with a much weaker O-line than we had in '03 or '08.

Great point.

Jacie
11/15/2015, 01:10 PM
As the favorites drop out, Fournette, Coleman, Boykin, it opens it up the competition, at least to the point where guys like Mayfield could get a trip to NYC.

BeaSooner
11/15/2015, 02:36 PM
Baker Swagger Mayfield

BigTip
11/15/2015, 08:46 PM

I was surprised that he didn't light it up in 2014 after watching him "up close" in the Sugar Bowl. I was just shaking my head at his size and speed.

Mayfield will feel the love if he keeps it up and we win out. To his advantage is that he has such a good story with the walk on angle.

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/15/2015, 09:33 PM
Baker always has somethin' cookin'

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/15/2015, 09:34 PM
Would it be ok if we call this team "Bakers' Dozen"

Yes. I've been drinkin'. No, you can't take credit for my amazing ideas.

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/15/2015, 09:35 PM
Baker gets rid of the ball like a hot potato

sendbaht
11/16/2015, 07:33 AM
he got game

SoonerMarkVA
11/16/2015, 07:58 AM
I was surprised that he didn't light it up in 2014 after watching him "up close" in the Sugar Bowl. I was just shaking my head at his size and speed.

Mayfield will feel the love if he keeps it up and we win out. To his advantage is that he has such a good story with the walk on angle.

Agreed about Henry. He and Perine are in a special category to themselves, and I suspect both will be stars and mainstays at the next level. He is one player I would not resent getting the stiff arm over Baker.

deweydw
11/16/2015, 08:11 AM
I do remember when he was lighting it up at taco tech, and I was not looking forward to OU playing against him. Then he got injured and I was, hate to admit, relieved. Now he's with OU and I am one happy camper.

swardboy
11/16/2015, 08:33 AM
Danny Kannell picks Baker Mayfield for Heisman this morning on Mike and Mike. I'm feelin' the love.

Pride1Mom
11/16/2015, 11:08 AM
Herbstreet likes Mayfield, too. Had a lot of praise throughout the game. Called him "Special."

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2015, 11:16 AM
i'm selfish - I'd love for BM to go to NY, but not to win it. I definitely think all the attention and events surrounding the Heisman hurt the team going into the BCS championship game. If OU somehow makes the CFP, they could carry that same chip on their shoulders that we had on 2000 when Josh came in 2nd. (Hey, I said I was selfish :big grin:)

rock on sooner
11/16/2015, 11:36 AM
Watching Henry do man-type things to the boys he plays against makes a good case
for the Heisman, better than Elliot at tOSU. It's Henry's to lose, imo. I really hope
that Baker keeps doing his thing for the next FOUR games for OUr #8. Next year,
then, he'll be odds on favorite and under intense scrutiny, get to play up the walk-on
story, win the hearts and minds of all the Heisman voters, of which 4 already know
Boomer Sooner!

oupride
11/16/2015, 12:19 PM
If Baker plays like last night for the rest of the year he gets OU its 6th Heisman Winner and 8th National Championship!!!! HE is unbelievable...what a gamer!!!
ditto

oupride
11/16/2015, 12:21 PM
Danny Kannell picks Baker Mayfield for Heisman this morning on Mike and Mike. I'm feelin' the love.
Thanks for the post!

Jacie
11/16/2015, 01:09 PM
7: Games by Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield of At Least Four TDs in 2015 - Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield is making a strong case for Heisman votes and All-America honors this season, as the junior has been a big reason for the Sooners’ offensive improvement in 2015. Mayfield has scored at least four touchdowns in seven games this season, including four overall scores in Saturday night’s 44-34 victory over Baylor. The seven games of at least four touchdowns in a single contest are tied with TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin for the most in the nation this year.

hornswaggled
11/17/2015, 03:28 AM
It might seem like hyperbole to make the comparison, but what I saw Baker Mayfield do in the rain in Waco reminded me of what I saw John Elway do in the rain in Norman in 1980. His athleticism and leadership made the difference in this game. He kept the ball alive when I thought he should have shucked it, he ran to the openings when the defense covered his receivers, and he led the team when they needed leadership. If he stays healthy the Sooners will be in contention for the title while he is in Norman.

swardboy
11/17/2015, 05:50 AM
Hey, I remember that game. First time I realized how a sloppy field could benefit the receivers. Defenders were slipping all over the place. Elway introduced the forward pass to Norman that day.

Jacie
11/17/2015, 09:27 AM
Hey, I remember that game. First time I realized how a sloppy field could benefit the receivers. Defenders were slipping all over the place. Elway introduced the forward pass to Norman that day.

What a nightmare to be reminded of, everyone deep, the pocket not collapsing, Elway with 30 yards of open field in front of him time after time. He either completed long passes or ran for 20 yards and he always went down rather than get tackled. Went to The Mont after the game and it was taken over by Stanford fans. All I could do was congratulate them and buy them drinks. This was before anyone ever used the term dual threat QB or spread offense but that is exactly what Stanford did that day.

Soonerfan88
11/17/2015, 06:42 PM
i'm selfish - I'd love for BM to go to NY, but not to win it. I definitely think all the attention and events surrounding the Heisman hurt the team going into the BCS championship game. If OU somehow makes the CFP, they could carry that same chip on their shoulders that we had on 2000 when Josh came in 2nd. (Hey, I said I was selfish :big grin:)

Teddy Lehman said the same thing yesterday afternoon. Mayfield has been doubted so much, proving it has become part of his attitude on the field. If he wins the Heisman, does that take off some of the edge? Lehman also said that Heupel's loss definitely motivated them against FSU.

So, now we just need Baker to come in second behind Henry and then take down Bama in the title game. :joyous:

Mazeppa
11/17/2015, 07:59 PM
I kinda thought he was good, and then I got confirmation when Pat Jones said, "you know who he reminds me of? Mayfield reminds me of Mike Gundy". No better praise then that. Ha!!!!

yermom
11/17/2015, 09:38 PM
i'm just going to leave this here:

http://i.imgur.com/Bwn2lko.gif

BigTip
11/18/2015, 07:34 AM
There were two different mentions of Mayfield's GOOD Heisman chances in this mornings Austin American Statesman.

I think another thing that helps a Heisman candidate is just being fun to watch play. Mayfield certainly is that!

swardboy
11/20/2015, 10:15 AM
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=210512691

JLMSOONER
11/21/2015, 04:31 PM
Good story on Mayfield today on Game Day.

Jacie
11/21/2015, 06:56 PM
Ezekiel Elliott vs MSU: 12 rushes for 33 yards, 1 TD and OSU lost.

Mayfield may not win the Heisman Trophy, but as of now he is at least a top 3 contender.