PDA

View Full Version : Veteran's Day

rock on sooner
11/11/2015, 06:47 AM
"For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know." Anon.

To those who served, thank you and welcome home!" To those still serving, "thank you
and hurry home, safely". And, to those who gave the most, "respect, honor, thanks, we
salute you."

rock on sooner
11/11/2015, 09:05 PM
A bit of sadness here, 42 views of my post and no response. That's okay, but I sure
hope that y'all said thanks if you met a vet or at least stopped and reflected if any
of you saw a ceremony. Life goes on...mostly because there are those who fought
and died so it could. Jus' sayin'...

Jacie
11/11/2015, 09:48 PM
On a related note, I just started reading a book, Candy: True Tales of a 1st Cavalry Soldier in the Korean War.

Candy was Ken LaRue, my wife's late Uncle Kenny, as we called him. He tells the story of an 18-year old on the front lines of the Korean conflict. It is not about heroics but the down-to-earth, day-to-day life living outside with people a few hundred yards away trying to kill you.

The material for the book was assembled by his son, William, from letters and a blog Kenny posted online, and is available on Amazon in print and electronic versions.

Uncle Kenny never published his own work but this is the second book that the major contribution is from him, the first was by his other son Bob, who drew on Kenny's blog about the 1998 Ice Storm that ravaged northern New York and parts of Canada.

If you are into real life accounts of that war, find this one and read it.

olevetonahill
11/11/2015, 09:50 PM
Thanks Rock
Most are to busy wanting to ridicule oBoomy and the other side wanting to proove em wrong
"It doan mean nuthin"

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/11/2015, 11:39 PM
I appreciate it! Thanks rock !

To my brothers in arms--Semper fi

Always be locked cocked and ready to rock.

Oorah!

Soonerjeepman
11/12/2015, 11:48 AM
a day late..but yes.

All of my dad's brother's served. Mostly after conflicts, my one uncle was a pilot B27's I believe, got into the tail end of WWII.

rock on sooner
11/12/2015, 12:58 PM
a day late..but yes.

All of my dad's brother's served. Mostly after conflicts, my one uncle was a pilot B27's I believe, got into the tail end of WWII.

The man who married my mother was a WWII combat engineer, first in North
Africa, then Anzio, Italy. He was awarded the Soldier's Medal (highest non-combat)
for helping pull out the crew of a burning, crash landed B29 at a field in North
Africa...got some old pictures of the burning bomber somewhere in a box...
helluva wreck....never talked about it...found the records after he passed.

Soonerjeepman
11/12/2015, 03:51 PM
The man who married my mother was a WWII combat engineer, first in North
Africa, then Anzio, Italy. He was awarded the Soldier's Medal (highest non-combat)
for helping pull out the crew of a burning, crash landed B29 at a field in North
Africa...got some old pictures of the burning bomber somewhere in a box...
helluva wreck....never talked about it...found the records after he passed.
wow, yeah my uncle made a book about his experience. He had a pic of a German bridge that was blown up. He trained in Okla then flew some over to Europe. I'm not sure but I don't think he saw combat...I'll need to DC.

Tear Down This Wall
11/12/2015, 03:52 PM
https://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/2788/8523/original.jpg

Soonerjeepman
11/12/2015, 05:19 PM
can you imagine the pansies from mu trying to do that? lol, course I'm not sure I could either at 50..but I'd sure try.

Tear Down This Wall
11/12/2015, 07:46 PM
can you imagine the pansies from mu trying to do that? lol, course I'm not sure I could either at 50..but I'd sure try.

Um...no. The second a Drill Sergeant yelled at them, they'd be AWOL or trying to file a complaint against him. They'd be busted out long before they got to the boat.

rock on sooner
11/12/2015, 09:22 PM
Um...no. The second a Drill Sergeant yelled at them, they'd be AWOL or trying to file a complaint against him. They'd be busted out long before they got to the boat.

Heh, I remember my TI (Training Instructor)...his opening line "All right, Ladies,
your asses belong to me for the next 35 days! Heard some guy behind me (from
Wisconsin) say "Oh, $hit" This just before he pancaked (heat was over 100 in
San Antonio...August 7, 1963). Always had to laugh, Sgt Busey (TI) chuckled
when he said, I'm your "Training" Instructor! SOB was almost sadistic..dayum,
he never slept! His sidekick was Airman Swenson (1st Class)...looked a lot like
Alex Karras..picked up a Volkswagon beetle and "walked" it to the sidewalk from the
street, turned and looked at our flight and said "I've been sick". He never got any
guff from 60 guys from OK, WI and PA.....