PDA

View Full Version : Get ready for a lot of this....

swardboy
11/7/2015, 08:22 AM
Report: Sooner OC Lincoln Riley interviews for Mean Green job

Nearly four weeks after firing (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/10/north-texas-fires-dan-mccarney-after-66-7-loss-to-fcs-team/) Dan McCarney, North Texas is heating things up when it comes to finding a replacement.Citing an unnamed university official, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram is reporting that UNT interviewed (http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/football/article43462332.html) Oklahoma offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley for the head-coaching vacancy earlier this week. It’s unknown if the 32-year-old Riley is the first candidate to interview for the job.

Riley is in his first season as the Sooners’ coordinator. OU is currently seventh in the country in scoring (45.6 points per game) and eighth in total offense (532.5 yards per game). Last year they were 20th (36.2 ppg) and 24th (465 ypg), respectively, in those two categories.

Riley isn’t the only Big 12 coordinator that will draw interest as the Star-Telegram writes that the school “is also expected to inquire about the interest of TCU co-offensive coordinators Doug Meacham or Sonny Cumbie.” Arizona State offensive line coachChris Thomsen and Texas A&M offensive coordinator Jake Spavital are also believed to be on the list of candidates from which the Mean Green will find a replacement.

None of those mentioned have been head coaches at the FBS level.

UPDATED 6:52 p.m. ET: In a statement, and while he didn’t deny an interview, Riley claimed that he is not a candidate for the UNT job.

“I understand that reports have linked my name to the head coaching vacancy at North Texas. I am absolutely not a candidate for that position. I am focused on only one thing — helping the OU Sooners win a conference championship.”

Soonerjeepman
11/7/2015, 08:36 AM
I guess I don't get it...

OU's off coordinator vs N Texas HC. Yeah, I get the HC draw, but I also think Stoops is pretty hands off as long as you are successful which would be any boss. I'd think eventually IF Riley hangs for a few years and is pretty successful then he'd have a shot at OU HC job, or even a better D1 than N Texas.

just my thoughts..

kenth68
11/7/2015, 10:23 AM
I guess I don't get it...

yeah, UNT head coach position would actually be going backward. Plus, it would just look bad on him to be looking to jump ship midseason his first year at a D1 school. And money-wise, I can't imagine the HC position at NT pays more than he's making now.

Jacie
11/7/2015, 10:24 AM
UNT: where promising up-and-comers go to die . . .

OUinFLA
11/7/2015, 10:26 AM
. I am absolutely not a candidate for that position. I am focused on only one thing — helping the OU Sooners win a conference championship.”
[/FONT][/COLOR]

/translation/
the contract is signed and done I'm not allowed to talk about it at this time

/translation/

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2015, 11:45 AM
I seriously doubt he is interested in UNT. But assuming the report is true, I take it he sees the process of interviewing for a HC position as valuable experience. If he is as successful at OC as we want him to be, he won't be here for long. Next year is looking to be a resume year for him if he can figure out a way to replace Shep.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/7/2015, 08:58 PM
If he is interested in UNT we do not need him