PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Buffaloes 30 for 30

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/5/2015, 10:37 PM
I watched part of that last night. Man, I still just despise them. A team of thugs led by a holier than thou coach. I felt slimy after just a few minutes.

tycat947
11/5/2015, 11:29 PM
Yep, I agree. CU players didn't have anything good to say about the holier than thou Nebbish fans though.

BoulderSooner79
11/5/2015, 11:52 PM
I lived in Boulder during that time, and McCartney was a lightning rod for controversy. Fans be fans and of course they loved having a good team for a change. But if he had been an average coach, he would have been ousted more quickly than and equally competent, but low profile coach. The show also seemed a bit kind as it didn't mention the daughter's second child with a different player or all the players that did get in trouble with the police. I didn't appreciate that some of my state tax dollars went to his religious organization (he was a little fuzzy with handling public/private funds). But it wasn't a huge deal to me - I was just more upset they were beating OU back then.

I do give McCartney credit for supporting and even raising those 2 grandkids produced by his daughter via the team. Kids can't be blamed for how they got here and they both seemed to grow up to be good kids from everything I've read. I know a lot of self proclaimed Christians that would not have done that - they would have pushed for some quiet, anonymous adoption.

badger
11/6/2015, 10:45 AM
One of the things that makes 30 for 30 so compelling are the flawed main characters, and was Coach McCartney ever flawed.

He was a failure as a father and a husband in some respects, but there was redemption at the end.

The Fifth Down argument would have been a lot better if it was that the team played - and won - as the refs called the game, rather than making excuses about the field being poor quality or tampered with. Uh, what field did the other team play on?

His brand of faith may be a bit extreme for some.

So, congrats to Colorado football for being back in the national spotlight for something they did 25 years ago, lol. :D You will never be relevant again, you lost your longtime Big 8 rivals to schools that you have no history (and a lot longer travel time) with, but hey! That split 1990 national championship really was something, wasn't it?

Glory glory Colorado...

Jacie
11/6/2015, 10:47 AM
I do give McCartney credit for supporting and even raising those 2 grandkids produced by his daughter via the team. Kids can't be blamed for how they got here and they both seemed to grow up to be good kids from everything I've read.

So he did a better job the second time he raised kids than he did the first . . .

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2015, 11:46 AM
So he did a better job the second time he raised kids than he did the first . . .

Well, I think most of us do better the 2nd time around if we get a do-over. Having adult kids myself, I know there are things I would do differently given another chance.

The part that tainted the 5th down thing for me was that it was obvious from the player interviews that the coaches knew about it and were counting on the refs to not notice.

badger
11/6/2015, 12:41 PM
the coaches knew about it and were counting on the refs to not notice
That's sports in a nutshell right there :P

tycat947
11/6/2015, 04:04 PM
One of the things that makes 30 for 30 so compelling are the flawed main characters, and was Coach McCartney ever flawed.

He was a failure as a father and a husband in some respects, but there was redemption at the end.

The Fifth Down argument would have been a lot better if it was that the team played - and won - as the refs called the game, rather than making excuses about the field being poor quality or tampered with. Uh, what field did the other team play on?

His brand of faith may be a bit extreme for some.

So, congrats to Colorado football for being back in the national spotlight for something they did 25 years ago, lol. :D You will never be relevant again, you lost your longtime Big 8 rivals to schools that you have no history (and a lot longer travel time) with, but hey! That split 1990 national championship really was something, wasn't it?

Glory glory Colorado...

Quite amazing! I think McCartney would fit in great as administrator/coach at Hypocrite U! He could probably teach a class on being a hypocrite!

badger
11/6/2015, 05:08 PM
So you secretly love Baylor, don't you tycat. It's why even when the story has nothing to do with Baylor you immediately think of your beloved teddy bears. ;)

tycat947
11/6/2015, 05:50 PM
So you secretly love Baylor, don't you tycat. It's why even when the story has nothing to do with Baylor you immediately think of your beloved teddy bears. ;)

LOL!

Flying Scotsman
11/6/2015, 10:11 PM
...At least Colorado has half of an NC.....and some dope to go with it...Baylor got one yet?

Sooner70
11/12/2015, 12:14 AM
Didn't Chuck Fairbanks coach for awhile at Colorado after he left OU? What was Fairbanks tenure/record anyway? Didn't he go to NFL awhile?

Salt City Sooner
11/12/2015, 12:25 AM
Didn't Chuck Fairbanks coach for awhile at Colorado after he left OU? What was Fairbanks tenure/record anyway? Didn't he go to NFL awhile?
Chuck was @ CU for 3 not so good (& I'm being diplomatic with that) years. He went 7-26 there, & was replaced by McCartney in '82. He went 46-39 (31-12 his last 3 yrs. there) from '73 to '78 @ New England.

Soonerjeepman
11/12/2015, 11:44 AM
watching the show...the field at nu was like a wet parking lot....lol OUCH~

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/12/2015, 02:08 PM
Chuck was @ CU for 3 not so good (& I'm being diplomatic with that) years. He went 7-26 there, & was replaced by McCartney in '82. He went 46-39 (31-12 his last 3 yrs. there) from '73 to '78 @ New England.Yeah, Fairbanks did a great job at the NE Patriots. He brought them into success for the first time that I remembered them having, and had a lot of Sooners on those Patriots teams.

Then, when he went to Colorado, it was like he didn't care to work anymore. I have no idea why that was, but he bombed out there, and I don't believe he coached after that.

Pricetag
11/12/2015, 03:18 PM
Man, they played the Rocket Ismail punt return TD in the '91 Orange Bowl perfectly. Had me hoping that somehow the clip wouldn't be called this time around.

hawaii 5-0
11/12/2015, 04:10 PM
The bile that rose in my throat was something terrible. Took a quart of milk and some antacids to settle it down after watching that abortion of a presentation.

5-0

TAFBSooner
11/12/2015, 04:59 PM
...At least Colorado has half of an NC.....and some dope to go with it...Baylor got one yet?

Dope yes. Just no alcohol :)

bluedogok
11/15/2015, 12:03 AM
The fifth down was the officials responsibility, not CU's. Missouri deserved it becase of that crappy field they had. Every other Big 8 team griped about that field constantly.

aurorasooner
11/15/2015, 12:54 AM
Interesting article in the Denver Post about the Puffs. While I do believe that they're probably better off financially in the long term than remaining in the Big 12-4+2 simply because they have an equal sharing conference network and are away from the whorns, their FB program certainly has gone to chite since the move, and it appears that their home game attendance is in the toilet, as well.

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_29117268/kiszla-cu-football-has-experienced-real-agony-not

The fool that led Colorado football down this miserable path owes them an apology

Near misses are for heartbreak. Excuses are for losers. Since joining the conference in 2011, CU's record is 5-38. That's not real progress. It's real agony.

The man who owes everybody an apology is former Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn. He sold Buffs Nation a bill of goods, declaring that paying a hefty exit fee to leave the Big 12 Conference for the Pac-12 would be a bonanza.

And isn't it obvious now that was bunk?

Oh, yeah. We remember the sales pitch. CU was a high-minded academic institution like Stanford, not Kansas State. It was difficult for the Buffaloes to generate ticket sales for those old dusty, old prairie schools like Baylor and Iowa State.

Well, on a chilly Friday night, against USC, whose fight-on brand is among the most recognizable in college football, the crowd at Folsom Field was a modest 37,905.

In 2010, the Buffs' last season in the Big 12, when their home slate included the likes of Texas Tech, the worst crowd for a conference game in Boulder was bigger than the number of people who showed up for the Trojans.

Moving to a new conference was supposed to make the CU athletic department flush with cash. That promise also was oversold. Here's why:

The revenue from all sources, including television and postseason appearances, is nearly identical in the Big 12 and the Pac-12.

Membership in either conference would have earned the Buffaloes a check from the league for a little more than $25 million in fiscal year 2015, according to a study by the San Jose Mercury-News.

The Buffs journeyed West, prospecting for fools gold.

Rebuilding the football program in the Pac-12 isn't easier. It's harder

SoonerStormchaser
11/15/2015, 02:22 AM
Well, I think most of us do better the 2nd time around if we get a do-over. Having adult kids myself, I know there are things I would do differently given another chance.

You can ask my wife about that ;)

bluedogok
11/15/2015, 11:15 PM
Interesting article in the Denver Post about the Puffs. While I do believe that they're probably better off financially in the long term than remaining in the Big 12-4+2 simply because they have an equal sharing conference network and are away from the whorns, their FB program certainly has gone to chite since the move, and it appears that their home game attendance is in the toilet, as well.

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_29117268/kiszla-cu-football-has-experienced-real-agony-not

I think they were under the assumption that the Big 12 was imploding and beyond repair at that point and they wanted to "get in" before someone else might grab their spot in the Pac 12.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/18/2015, 01:49 PM
I lived in Boulder during that time, and McCartney was a lightning rod for controversy. Fans be fans and of course they loved having a good team for a change. But if he had been an average coach, he would have been ousted more quickly than and equally competent, but low profile coach. The show also seemed a bit kind as it didn't mention the daughter's second child with a different player or all the players that did get in trouble with the police. I didn't appreciate that some of my state tax dollars went to his religious organization (he was a little fuzzy with handling public/private funds). But it wasn't a huge deal to me - I was just more upset they were beating OU back then.

I do give McCartney credit for supporting and even raising those 2 grandkids produced by his daughter via the team. Kids can't be blamed for how they got here and they both seemed to grow up to be good kids from everything I've read. I know a lot of self proclaimed Christians that would not have done that - they would have pushed for some quiet, anonymous adoption.I finally saw the show last night. McCartney was a very unique coach, and also the best coach CU has ever had, at least for football. I was happy when he left CU, since they beat us every(6) year that Gary Gibbs was our HC. McCartney had a magnetic personality, making it easy to see how he recruited so well and motivated the team.

The town of Boulder IS beautiful, and the altitude is hard on the players from virtually all the teams who play there. Even Bud Wilkinson's teams had trouble with playing in boulder.