PDA

View Full Version : Tainted Baptists vs. Fightin' Snyders

swardboy
11/5/2015, 07:54 PM
7-0 Baylor, but ksu is having a nice drive. 1st quarter 8:10

Soonerjeepman
11/5/2015, 07:57 PM
Yeah but cats burned 2 timeouts already...lol crap 1 was before their first off snap.

Soonerjeepman
11/5/2015, 07:58 PM
Going for 2 4th downs...converted both

Soonerjeepman
11/5/2015, 08:00 PM
I would love ksu to win...on the 1 yard line

swardboy
11/5/2015, 08:01 PM
On the goal line! 2nd down...but they're reviewing it.

Soonerjeepman
11/5/2015, 08:01 PM
That was a TD

swardboy
11/5/2015, 08:02 PM
td

swardboy
11/5/2015, 08:04 PM
I know we'd be better off playing an unbeaten baylor, but I would enjoy seeing ksu beating their butts.

swardboy
11/5/2015, 08:14 PM
Baylor's defense is going to be exhausted before the 2nd quarter at this pace.

Soonerjeepman
11/5/2015, 08:16 PM
Wow....bu is good...but I think our db's are a ton better than ksu's.

Soonerjeepman
11/5/2015, 08:17 PM
Snyder playing smart ball. Wondering how much baker will run against them...

Soonerjeepman
11/5/2015, 08:22 PM
Well that sucks

BoulderSooner79
11/5/2015, 08:37 PM
Can't believe KSU went deep there on that INT. It was 3rd and long, but it was double covered.

KSU will be fortunate if Hubener last the entire game. 17 carries midway through the 2nd and he has taken some big hits.

BoulderSooner79
11/5/2015, 08:39 PM
KSU has no chance at covering the BU receivers. Hope we do.

aurorasooner
11/5/2015, 08:47 PM
Wow....bu is good...but I think our db's are a ton better than ksu's.

They'd better be, because the Baylor receivers look All-American if not All-Pro and Stidham looks every bit as tall as Mahommes at Tech.

The Purple Wizard seems to found a crack in the Baylor defensive front. Surprised that they didn't panic after that illegal procedure penalty and continued to run the ball. I just don't think they can keep up on the scoreboard with Baylor unless they get some breakaways completely to the EZ or some long distance TOs for 6. Coughing up that fumble didn't help.

Geez there were 3 Baylor DBs around that KSU receiver. I know you sometimes need to stretch the D to keep them honest, but that was ridiculous. Cheet, have a receiver somewhere underneath the coverage. The zebras eliminating the Pop-Pass/OL downfield seems to have crapped out any KSU passing game this year.

cvsooner
11/5/2015, 08:52 PM
Ridiculous how open middle of the KSU secondary is.

BoulderSooner79
11/5/2015, 09:43 PM
It's best for us if Stidham has smooth sailing in this game and so far he has. The only thing that has stopped BU has been penalties and KSU holding the ball for long periods. Stidham has a clean pocket and his WRs are wide open. He's made nice throws, but not under pressure and not into tight windows. I would like OUr game to be the first where he is really under duress.

Of course, if we can't put him under pressure, I don't care what happens in this game against Cats.

Soonerjeepman
11/5/2015, 09:49 PM
yeah ksu db's look painfully slow...like really bad, or maybe bu's receivers are just that good...lol.

oakman with the late hit to the head of the rb in the first half, good to see he's up to his old ways.

ksu is their own worse enemy, 2 TO's inside the 30..even if those are FG's that's 21/16 IF bu turns them into points.

BoulderSooner79
11/5/2015, 09:57 PM
OUr offense won't be able to run like KSU's and KSU can't throw nearly as effectively as OU can. So I don't think we can take much away from this game as far as how it will go for us. I do hope we can go on long drives as that clearly frustrates BU, but we'll have to do it using the pass to setup the run.

Soonerjeepman
11/5/2015, 10:06 PM
yeah, being in Waco I don't expect much, they'll be pumped.
I'm curious why you don't think OU can run like ksu? we killed them there...we ran, not much, but enough. At one point the avg was 5 yrd a pop I thought.
I see OU with 3 options, Baker, Pernine and Mixon...all on the field at once. Ksu rarely ran anyone but the qb.

Soonerjeepman
11/5/2015, 10:19 PM
Joe Klatt really pushing bu for playoffs...his votes vs the playoff poll

Soonerjeepman
11/5/2015, 10:21 PM
damn, if we can't run against bu then we don't deserve to win

Soonerjeepman
11/5/2015, 10:31 PM
on a side note..mu is 1 pt down from miss state, 13/14

aurorasooner
11/5/2015, 10:55 PM
on a side note..mu is 1 pt down from miss state, 13/14 I've been switching to that game and the NFL game during the numerous commercials on Fox. It's just brutal to watch a game on Fox w/o an alternative channel locked in.

I don't know what that Mizzou starting QB did to get suspended, but it must have been pretty bad, and then they brought him back and then kicked him out for good.

Damn that last KSU play sucked. It looked like something we'd half-azzed do in our special team's return game. Oh well, it's better for us if Baylor won anyway.

hawaii 5-0
11/5/2015, 11:08 PM
400 yards passing by a freshman in his 1st start is quite an accomplishment.

5-0

BoulderSooner79
11/5/2015, 11:10 PM
I'm curious why you don't think OU can run like ksu? we killed them there...we ran, not much, but enough.... Ksu rarely ran anyone but the qb.

Who did we kill? I don't think can run like KSU because our schemes are completely different. We don't have the power formations with that many blockers. And most of the success was based on the QB keeping it - who is basically a glorified tailback. We certainly have the RBs, but our O-line can't open the holes if they are stacked against the run. KSU could run when they knew it was coming - we can't do that. But we can pass when they know it is coming and run when they don't (or aren't sure). If Mayfield runs as much as Hubener did, he would never finish the game and we'd be done as far as conference title goes.

Mazeppa
11/5/2015, 11:49 PM
400 yards passing by a freshman in his 1st start is quite an accomplishment.

5-0

400 yards and beating a bad KSU team by 7 points, yes that's quite an accomplishment. The playoff commitee will love that one.

BoulderSooner79
11/5/2015, 11:56 PM
400 yards and beating a bad KSU team by 7 points, yes that's quite an accomplishment. The playoff commitee will love that one.

The comment was just about the QB and he did play a good game. Just a few obvious mistakes and none resulted in turnovers. Our D will have to provide tighter coverage and better pressure in order to exploit his lack of experience.

SicEmBaylor
11/6/2015, 12:09 AM
yeah ksu db's look painfully slow...like really bad, or maybe bu's receivers are just that good...lol.

oakman with the late hit to the head of the rb in the first half, good to see he's up to his old ways.

ksu is their own worse enemy, 2 TO's inside the 30..even if those are FG's that's 21/16 IF bu turns them into points.

Our receiver unit is the best in the country -- they're that good.

Stidham is a true freshman getting his first career start on the road against the purple wizard, and he ends up 23-of-33, 419 yards, and 3TDs + a rushing TD. I'll take that.

Okie35
11/6/2015, 05:55 AM
Our receiver unit is the best in the country -- they're that good.

Stidham is a true freshman getting his first career start on the road against the purple wizard, and he ends up 23-of-33, 419 yards, and 3TDs + a rushing TD. I'll take that.

College wise sure you are up there with receivers. I think Tcu as far as NFL prospects has you beat. Doctson and Listenbee are worlds better. You guys just run rub/pick routes to perfection. It was a good game. As far as the freshman thing goes, in your system it doesn't matter. This guy is probably better than Seth "stare down receivers" Russell anyway. It wasn't that he's a freshman that it close. It was close because 1) you guys finally are playing a decent team and 2) you guys have never been that great against decent teams on the road, especially KSU. 3) your defense isn't that great. Granted you may beat us but TCU will beat you, as I've said all year.

Soonerjeepman
11/6/2015, 09:25 AM
Who did we kill? I don't think can run like KSU because our schemes are completely different. We don't have the power formations with that many blockers. And most of the success was based on the QB keeping it - who is basically a glorified tailback. We certainly have the RBs, but our O-line can't open the holes if they are stacked against the run. KSU could run when they knew it was coming - we can't do that. But we can pass when they know it is coming and run when they don't (or aren't sure). If Mayfield runs as much as Hubener did, he would never finish the game and we'd be done as far as conference title goes.

we killed ksu, I understand they tried passing on us vs running. To your point of ksu could run when they wanted to....exactly, bu KNEW they were going to run and ksu still made yards. Yes, our Oline has to be able to do both run and pass block which makes them maybe less perfect at one than the other, but I still think they can get some push. I agree, Mayfield won't last if he runs 20 times, he doesn't have to...just enough to keep them honest.

FlatLander
11/6/2015, 09:28 AM
we killed ksu, I understand they tried passing on us vs running. To your point of ksu could run when they wanted to....exactly, bu KNEW they were going to run and ksu still made yards. Yes, our Oline has to be able to do both run and pass block which makes them maybe less perfect at one than the other, but I still think they can get some push. I agree, Mayfield won't last if he runs 20 times, he doesn't have to...just enough to keep them honest.

That is what I was thinking, between Perine, Mixon, and Mayfield we should be ok. Assuming the OL has really gotten better.

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2015, 09:55 AM

I know we killed KSU, but I don't understand what that has to do with running against BU. I do think we'll have success running, but nothing like KSU. In particular, if we run 3 times in a row when they expect it, we won't get a first down very often as to where KSU often did. They have too or they lose big because that is the design of their offense (for example, we stopped their run). They basically run a version of the Belldozer with a little option thrown in. My point is that comparing our run attack to KSU's is apples to ducks. The only team we have been able to run on at will has been TTech and they have the worst run defense in the conference. Of course this discussion is a bit silly because Riley is not going to have a game plan that puts the passing game on the shelf or has Mayfield running that often (I hope!). IF the last few games has shown me anything, it's that this year's squad is completely dependent on BM for success.

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2015, 10:05 AM
That is what I was thinking, between Perine, Mixon, and Mayfield we should be ok. Assuming the OL has really gotten better.

I don't think the OL has gotten that much better. Some better - yes. But I think the biggest difference is that Riley has installed more of the offense and the play calling is much less predictable. That has helped the O-line immensely by putting the defense on it's heals more often. But if we get into obvious pass or obvious run situations, the O-line still struggles a bit.

I know Sooner fans are not known for patience, but it takes time to install a new offense and get the execution down. Riley has said he is installing things more quickly than he did his first year at ECU, but it still takes time. I figured it would take the whole season, but it's looking pretty good at the 2/3rds mark. ISU will be interesting because their defense caused problems for both TCU and BU for much of their games - at least more problems than the teams we have played lately.

FlatLander
11/6/2015, 10:42 AM
I don't think the OL has gotten that much better. Some better - yes. But I think the biggest difference is that Riley has installed more of the offense and the play calling is much less predictable. That has helped the O-line immensely by putting the defense on it's heals more often. But if we get into obvious pass or obvious run situations, the O-line still struggles a bit.

I know Sooner fans are not known for patience, but it takes time to install a new offense and get the execution down. Riley has said he is installing things more quickly than he did his first year at ECU, but it still takes time. I figured it would take the whole season, but it's looking pretty good at the 2/3rds mark. ISU will be interesting because their defense caused problems for both TCU and BU for much of their games - at least more problems than the teams we have played lately.

I agree balance and excellent play calling are what we are striving for. But I feel if we can't run effectively against BU then we better be able to beat them with passing but I don't think one dimensional either way against BU will cut it.

Soonerjeepman
11/6/2015, 11:06 AM

that and I think we've really tried to get the ball out of his hands under 3 secs...if any longer the line breaks down and bad things happen.

I guess I disagree a bit with your diagnosis on the ksu's run attack vs ours against bu. It's all good...we'll see how we do against isu first. We def are more balanced that ksu and honestly I'm not really worried about us scoring...I'm worried about us STOPPING bu..that will be an issue.

Soonerjeepman
11/6/2015, 11:08 AM
I've been switching to that game and the NFL game during the numerous commercials on Fox. It's just brutal to watch a game on Fox w/o an alternative channel locked in.

I don't know what that Mizzou starting QB did to get suspended, but it must have been pretty bad, and then they brought him back and then kicked him out for good.

Damn that last KSU play sucked. It looked like something we'd half-azzed do in our special team's return game. Oh well, it's better for us if Baylor won anyway.

he's had a couple of chances, got into a fight in a bar not once...(1st suspension) but then again..dumba$$

CowboyMRW
11/6/2015, 11:33 AM
he's had a couple of chances, got into a fight in a bar not once...(1st suspension) but then again..dumba$$

The rumor out of Columbia was that he enjoyed the nose candy and his roommate was dealing.

FlatLander
11/6/2015, 12:05 PM
that and I think we've really tried to get the ball out of his hands under 3 secs...if any longer the line breaks down and bad things happen.

I guess I disagree a bit with your diagnosis on the ksu's run attack vs ours against bu. It's all good...we'll see how we do against isu first. We def are more balanced that ksu and honestly I'm not really worried about us scoring...I'm worried about us STOPPING bu..that will be an issue.

They're gonna have to come up with some way to bust up those rub routes. I don't think we will give them the middle of the field like KSU did last night. Our secondary is much better than KSU and we are much better than last year in the secondary.

Pride1Mom
11/6/2015, 12:33 PM
Looks like if you can run the ball on Baylor you have a chance to beat them. The key....DON'T let them have the ball.

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2015, 12:49 PM
I agree balance and excellent play calling are what we are striving for. But I feel if we can't run effectively against BU then we better be able to beat them with passing but I don't think one dimensional either way against BU will cut it.

I think that's what I've been saying (or trying to). That we need to be balanced and cannot count on going as run heavy as KSU did because it wouldn't work for us. It didn't work for KSU either as BU was never really threatened and their lack of passing ability cost them dearly. It did keep KSU in the game which is about the best they could do given the talent gap. We have a lot more talent.

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2015, 12:55 PM

That's the new part of the offense that has been installed :) People can whine and moan about the horn game all they want (and they seem to want to), but the bottom line is that we didn't have nearly as much of the current offense installed yet. You can't call it if you haven't practiced it to the point of crisp execution. We've seen the quick pass, the 2 back set, more plays to Andrews, etc. And the efficiency has gone up with each game and I don't think it is all due to weak competition. You don't see other teams beating KSU 55-0 or holding Tech under 30 which scoring 60. Interesting times ahead...

Soonerjeepman
11/6/2015, 01:05 PM
I guess that is what I'm saying....4 weeks ago..I'd say we lose by 21 at least to bu. Now, hmmm, our offense is clicking and D has gotten better. bu gave up 24 to ksu, with ksu turning it over twice inside the 30...which even if stopped would have gotten 2 FGs. I'm just saying we are in a much better spot. bu KNEW that ksu was going to run but couldn't stop it. I know, different approach but we have 3 options to run, plus better receivers. Like I said, not worry about our offense...it's the D. lol

hawaii 5-0
11/6/2015, 01:42 PM
I can't agree with comparing OU vs KSU and Baylor vs KSU accurately unless both teams ran the same plays and used the same defensive schemes. And KSU used the same players.

Two different games.

5-0

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2015, 01:54 PM
I guess that is what I'm saying....4 weeks ago..I'd say we lose by 21 at least to bu. Now, hmmm, our offense is clicking and D has gotten better. bu gave up 24 to ksu, with ksu turning it over twice inside the 30...which even if stopped would have gotten 2 FGs. I'm just saying we are in a much better spot. bu KNEW that ksu was going to run but couldn't stop it. I know, different approach but we have 3 options to run, plus better receivers. Like I said, not worry about our offense...it's the D. lol

The KSU O-line is better than ours at run blocking. Also, when the QB is integral in the run game, it's 11 vs. 11 instead of 10 vs. 11 when the QB mostly hands off - that's the whole idea behind the wildcat. We get some critical plays from BM running the ball, but only in small doses and it needs to stay that way to keep him upright. I'll take BM's arm vs Hubener's legs any day or we would be dead in the water anytime we needed to pass just like KSU was last night.

FlatLander
11/6/2015, 02:08 PM
Like I said, not worry about our offense...it's the D. lol

Somehow disrupt the timing of their pass plays and blow up the rub routes?

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2015, 02:17 PM
Somehow disrupt the timing of their pass plays and blow up the rub routes?

KSU slowed down their running game in the 2nd half and that allowed pressure on the QB in obvious passing situations. Stidham was cool and just took the sack instead of making a stupid throw, but it showed they can be made one dimensional.

Mazeppa
11/6/2015, 11:29 PM
The comment was just about the QB and he did play a good game. Just a few obvious mistakes and none resulted in turnovers. Our D will have to provide tighter coverage and better pressure in order to exploit his lack of experience.

He played good because kstate played defense like this:

http://i65.tinypic.com/10empmu.jpg

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2015, 12:19 AM
True, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't have lit them up against tight coverage. I just hope we make him prove it.

But this discussion is clearly taunting the football gods. I have a feeling ISU is going to put up a fight.

He played good because kstate played defense like this:

http://i65.tinypic.com/10empmu.jpg

Mazeppa
11/7/2015, 12:45 AM
On the 2 or 3 plays they did tighten up he had no answer. But I agree about ISU putting up a fight.