PDA

View Full Version : Huskers relieved to be IN B1G b/c losing to Purdue is so much better

soonergirlNeugene
10/31/2015, 07:25 PM
Yeah, thats the discussion I'm seeing over on HuskerMAX. http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/77207-fortunate-to-be-in-big-10/

Baylor, TCU, Tech would all score 80 on us.

Oh man could you imagine our pass defense against the BIG12? Not only 80 points per game, but 600+ yards each game. The only reason we are keeping games close in the B1G is because most teams are so rush/power heavy with only decent passing attacks and we're pretty good against the run. Just typing this out makes me realize that our (nearly) last place Passing D could be so much worse statistically...

I miss Nebraska. I know they're gone for good, but I feel like with them in the B1G, that statement counts on several levels. At least here in the B12, they were NEBRASKA. Losing to Purdue is worse than losing to Kansas. Until today they hadn't beaten a conference opponent since 2012. A year they somehow managed to have 6 future NFL players on their team. And the Big 10 was LOUSY that year to boot, losing 5 of their bowl games. Point is, it's like getting dumped by someone so they can date a total loser who does nothing but humiliates them in public. And sadly I still want them back. I may need therapy.

tycat947
11/1/2015, 08:29 PM
I could care less what happens in Huskerland. Dr. Tom made his bed and he can lie in it. I think he, more than any one individual in the Land of the Corn, is why Nebbish is in B1G! They are history as a program. Pelini will be the best they've had and the best they will end up with.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/1/2015, 09:28 PM
Too bad, so sad

BoomerSooner123
11/1/2015, 11:56 PM
I am really enjoying the meltdown although I long for the respected rivalry.

OUmillenium
11/2/2015, 12:10 AM
Its gonna be fun renewing their rivalry. And with the new world of college fball playoffs and conference realignments...never say never for Nebrasska coming back. IMO

stoopified
11/2/2015, 12:34 AM
I am really enjoying the meltdown although I long for the respected rivalry.ditto

swardboy
11/2/2015, 08:25 AM
I will enjoy seeing us put up 600 yards passing on them.

REDREX
11/2/2015, 08:30 AM
The Children of the Corn may never come back-----Fun to watch them lose----Enjoy the Big 10----Nothing but love

badger
11/2/2015, 10:51 AM
Nebraska fits better with the Big Ten in its current state of football. If it was a top tier program, it would probably fare better down here on a national stage, but as-is, go ahead and be mediocre and remember how great you used to be. It fits the narrative quiet well.

Purdue: We used to have Drew Brees
Wisconsin: We used to have Ron Dayne.
Michigan: We used to have Desmond Howard
Nebraska: We used to have Eric Crouch

And, if all else fails, you can be relevant again when basketball season start... unless you now suck at that. Then, like football, you can balk at how relevant you used to be :D

REDREX
11/2/2015, 11:12 AM
Nebraska fits better with the Big Ten in its current state of football. If it was a top tier program, it would probably fare better down here on a national stage, but as-is, go ahead and be mediocre and remember how great you used to be. It fits the narrative quiet well.

Purdue: We used to have Drew Brees
Wisconsin: We used to have Ron Dayne.
Michigan: We used to have Desmond Howard
Nebraska: We used to have Eric Crouch

And, if all else fails, you can be relevant again when basketball season start... unless you now suck at that. Then, like football, you can balk at how relevant you used to be :D---The question will be---When does the fan base start to erode ?

SoonerMarkVA
11/2/2015, 11:27 AM
---The question will be---When does the fan base start to erode ?

You gotta think it's coming soon. I guess the only advantage they have is the bandwagon sorts don't have another in-state school to latch on to (unlike us in the mid 90s).

badger
11/2/2015, 11:31 AM
---The question will be---When does the fan base start to erode ?

The new coach has something working against him --- all home attendance records were set under Bo 2013 or 2014, thanks to stadium expansion in '13. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Stadium_%28Lincoln%29)

So, quite a few games with 91K in attendance before new guy arrives. And this season? About 89K average. After a sh!tty season, expect season ticket holders to vote with their wallets and stay home. At least you've got the Big Ten Network as a backup, amirite? :P

King Crimson
11/2/2015, 11:33 AM
i was never a huge Pelini fan but Mike Riley was a weird hire. he's currently the 39th highest paid coach in NCAAF. how can a top 5/top 10 program of all time like the Bugeaters allow that? he's a guy famous for winning 8 games with 6 game talent....imo. looks like that's what they are getting to....in Lincoln. 6-8 wins, 39th.

the Callahan hire was a bit screwy, too. he was like their 5th choice.

badger
11/2/2015, 11:35 AM
Lots of good links in this ESPN article here (http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/126199/as-nebraska-descends-into-punchline-once-unthinkable-questions-surface) on the punchline Nebbish has become.

And Nebrasky fans can effect immediate change by voting with their feet, as noted:

It can get lower, in fact. Eight years ago, it nearly did, when reeling Nebraska fell behind 38-0 at halftime against 3-3 Oklahoma State. Memorial Stadium emptied. Two days later, AD Steve Pederson was fired to avert a meltdown.

If I recall correctly, it was under Bill Callahan and they honored one of the Tom Ozzy teams at halftime... but Neb fans didn't stick around for them. A few days later, Tom Ozzy was interim AD himself and Callahan was canned after the season. I believe that was also the game where the Huskers didn't score till the final quarter, by which time the few remaining fans sarcastically released their TD balloons. Lol.

tycat947
11/2/2015, 03:33 PM
I think Dr Tom is at the root of all Nebbish problems since the creation of the Big 12. Tommy cried almost from Day 1 about texas! Whined and whined. Then he got the chance to take his toys and go home (B1G) to pay back those mean whorns when he was given AD job! Look at them now. TOSU, Mich St, Mich, etc and no one outside of Omaha/Lincoln (that's about all the people in Neb!) gives a damn about the Children of the Corn nor are they skerred!

badger
11/2/2015, 04:08 PM
Nebraska reportedly had a very narrow window to decide stay or go, and with the Pac 16 looking like a very distinct possibility, they chose to go just like Colorado. And Buff record since that move?

2011: 3 wins
2012: 1 win
2013: 4 wins
2014: 2 wins

And the Pac 12 revenue appears to be comparable to the Big 12's for CU (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25191844/is-pac-12-financially-about-to-fall-far-behind-big-ten-and-sec).

Given the circumstances, I don't think anyone faults CU and NU for jumping ship. It was A&M and Mizz that really betrayed the rest of the conference by leaving when they did, when it was clear the Pac-whatever wasn't going to happen. Good riddance to them both.

Soonerjeepman
11/2/2015, 04:37 PM
I grew up, like most of us...with that rivalry on Thanksgiving weekend. I held respect for ol Dr. Tom until the 90's. Not sure which game but he kept his starters in with a 48-7 (or something close) score deep in the 4th. Mind you, this was way before the 60-70 point games.

I remember mushburger spouting about how the referee Bible could put the Sooners away the game is over...ugh!~

Since then I couldn't have cared less about him or the corns.

SoonerMarkVA
11/2/2015, 05:17 PM
Nebraska reportedly had a very narrow window to decide stay or go, and with the Pac 16 looking like a very distinct possibility, they chose to go just like Colorado. And Buff record since that move?

2011: 3 wins
2012: 1 win
2013: 4 wins
2014: 2 wins

And the Pac 12 revenue appears to be comparable to the Big 12's for CU (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25191844/is-pac-12-financially-about-to-fall-far-behind-big-ten-and-sec).

Given the circumstances, I don't think anyone faults CU and NU for jumping ship. It was A&M and Mizz that really betrayed the rest of the conference by leaving when they did, when it was clear the Pac-whatever wasn't going to happen. Good riddance to them both.

I may not be remembering my timelines correctly, but I'm pretty sure Nebbish was the first domino, and that's when the mad scramble began. If they hadn't bolted, there would not have been any traction for P-16.

Now, Colorado? I don't blame them at all, when Texas legis. was trying to squeeze them out and force Baylor. In fact, they probably felt fairly betrayed when everything retracted after their commitment.

SoonerMarkVA
11/2/2015, 05:20 PM
I grew up, like most of us...with that rivalry on Thanksgiving weekend. I held respect for ol Dr. Tom until the 90's. Not sure which game but he kept his starters in with a 48-7 (or something close) score deep in the 4th. Mind you, this was way before the 60-70 point games.

I remember mushburger spouting about how the referee Bible could put the Sooners away the game is over...ugh!~

Since then I couldn't have cared less about him or the corns.

Pretty sure that was '96, Blake's first year, when the game ended up 72-21, or something. Tom kept Frost in well into the 4th, and the *only* good thing about that day was De'Mond Parker going off on the Nebbish D and making them look foolish. And it was still Nebbish starters in there, as you noted, so it wasn't him going good against scrubs. At that point, I think the coaches finally just let Parker tee off, where before that they were insisting on letting James Allen play in front of him.

badger
11/2/2015, 05:44 PM
I may not be remembering my timelines correctly, but I'm pretty sure Nebbish was the first domino

There was plenty of talk going on if all of us heard about it :D Nebraska was given the opportunity to go Big Ten, but it was a very narrow window of opportunity, so they took it.

Alas, since that move, they've lost AAU status, they've increased away game travel time for fans; they're even less relevant than they used to be in college football and their new conference rival fights them for a trophy created on twitter. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota%E2%80%93Nebraska_football_rivalry)

But, by all means, more power to you, Nebraska. Thank goodness you are no longer controlled by those mean, nasty Texas Longhorns :P

Sooner in Tampa
11/3/2015, 11:33 AM
I don't give a **** about the bugeaters...they quit in the Big XII because they thought the grass was greener on the other side.

They are becoming more irrelevant everyday.

Good riddance to the crybabies.

badger
11/4/2015, 10:29 AM
Rare is the college coach that is both a nice guy and a winner. Usually, colleges have to choose between having someone that the fanbase can always be proud of with players that never embarrass them off the field... or winning.

In example: Baylor. They choose to be embarrassed off the field instead of on it, and they found the guy to look the other way when players have red flags but lots of football talent

tycat947
11/4/2015, 12:19 PM
Rare is the college coach that is both a nice guy and a winner. Usually, colleges have to choose between having someone that the fanbase can always be proud of with players that never embarrass them off the field... or winning.

In example: Baylor. They choose to be embarrassed off the field instead of on it, and they found the guy to look the other way when players have red flags but lots of football talent

In multiple sports! True definition of HYPOCRITES!

badger
11/4/2015, 12:38 PM
hahaha tycat never missing the opportunity to baylor bash

seriously though -- Nebraska is not gone forever; it is just going to not be a powerhouse year-in, year-out for awhile. If teams like Memphis and Toledo can sneak into the top 25, so can Nerbraser. If Boise State can make a blue turf gimmick into a constant annoyance for the rest of the country to endure, so can Nowledge. If the fans are willing to accept mediocrity in the name of saving their reputation as the best fans, the most loyal fines, the nicest most hospitable etc etc., then I hope they're also very patient :D