PDA

View Full Version : Mangino looking for a job.

Mazeppa
10/26/2015, 02:12 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mangino-iowa-states-offensive-coordinator-171244042--ncaaf.html

rock on sooner
10/26/2015, 03:04 PM
Doesn't surprise me very much. Mangino and Rhoads not being able to get on
the "same page" translates to "Yer outa here"...

soonergirlNeugene
10/26/2015, 03:18 PM
Probably an attempt to deflect some heat by Rhoads. That and Mangino doesn't seem the type to tolerate being an assistant to a guy with a worse resume for long. Winning an Orange Bowl at Kansas >>> anything Rhoads has been able to put together at ISU thus far. I wouldn't at all be surprised to learn that he was being insubordinate and therefore an easy target.

rock on sooner
10/26/2015, 03:58 PM
Just a guess but I think Mangino took the ISU job until something better came
along. I don't think he expected to get tossed mid-season, though...

badger
10/26/2015, 04:07 PM
Paul Rhodes has been done in by his own lack of recruiting. Some coaches can make up for this by hiring assistants to do most of the recruiting, but Mark Mangino, IMHO, does not appear to be that type of assistant.

Paul Rhodes succeeded early-on because he had semi-good talent leftover by Gene Chizik at ISU. I know Seneca Wallace was before Gene arrived, but you don't see that type of player at ISU anymore and you aren't anticipating another Seneca anytime soon under Paul.

Paul has two choices when trying to keep his ISU job: Hope that he has enough goodwill built up at ISU from those "so proud" locker room videos of yesteryear, or... sell his soul to the debil and hire assistants that will do the dirtywork to bring in top talent by any means necessary.

By firing Mark, he has created a scapegoat. That suggests slime. That suggests a dance with the debil is imminent if ISU doesn't fire him first

stoops the eternal pimp
10/26/2015, 04:38 PM
Just waiting for the first yardbird to say he needs to come back to Oklahoma.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2015, 04:54 PM
He needs to come back to Oklahoma! (chirp!)

swardboy
10/26/2015, 05:13 PM
Mangino to Kansas: "Miss me yet?"

Jacie
10/26/2015, 07:35 PM
They probably do.

SoonerMarkVA
10/26/2015, 07:46 PM

Yes, if they have any sense.

rock on sooner
10/26/2015, 07:58 PM
ISU has 3-4 kids that can be good...Lazard at wr, Warren at rb and Lanning at
qb...there is a 4th frosh at rb whose name escapes me. This all on the O side.
He has a bunch of no-name overachivers on D. Mangino's offense kind of fit
this young bunch of skill players but, imo, too much ego from Mangino to work.
You know, ISU has a larger enrollment than the Hawkeyes but is still in the shadow
Fry from years gone by and thus will suffer on the recruiting end. Ferentz at UI
has the NFL experience and that is where the studs on O-line want to go...so so
on some of the skill positions. Badj is pretty much spot on...recruiting good talent
is the ticket (Mangino being gone, I think, is good) but I don't know where Rhoads
will find recruiting help, or even if he has time to do it. He really needs 1 or 2 more
wins this year or he'll be gone. Time will tell.......

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2015, 08:12 PM

I suspect they don't. The fans probably miss the '07 season record, but the AD and administration are probably still glad he's gone.

Therealsouthsider
10/26/2015, 11:42 PM
....too many cooks in the kitchen

ss

swardboy
10/27/2015, 08:01 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by swardboy http://www.soonerfans.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5037977#post5037977)

I suspect they don't. The fans probably miss the '07 season record, but the AD and administration are probably still glad he's gone.

And therein lies KU's problems methinks.

Breadburner
10/27/2015, 09:08 AM
Rhoades is done too.....

badger
10/27/2015, 09:34 AM
I once thought that Louisville would *never* take Bobby Petrino back, not just for the way he left the first time, but what happened since (i.e. mistress and the motorcycle).

So, never say never. Mark Mangino to KU is not so far-fetched when you consider how terrible, horrible, no-good, very-bad they've been since they ousted him.

Just waiting for the first yardbird to say he needs to come back to Oklahoma.

I will not be that yardbird. I could only see him coming back as a favor to a friend in a non-coaching capacity

swardboy
10/27/2015, 09:49 AM
It's hard to fathom how respected KU was with Mangino, compared to what they've become. At any rate it will be interesting to see if ANY school will consider hiring him for a head coaching position. I'm sure Mark will have to answer for what happened at Kansas to any interviewer's satisfaction.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/27/2015, 09:54 AM
Kansas is a severely undermanned team (53 on the roster I think)...The last thing they want is someone like Mangino coming into that.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/27/2015, 09:55 AM
I say never..Because it wouldn't be Kansas telling him no, it would be Mangino telling Kansas no.. His ego is 6 sizes bigger than his waistline.

badger
10/27/2015, 10:33 AM
I'd err on the side of STEP because Mangino does not need a job at this point in his career. Despite KU firing him with some semblance of controversial, questionable cause, I think they paid him a lot to go away... him and the next two after him :P

Also, as depressing and infuriating as 0-7 likely is... be patient, KU. If you want to stop sucking, you need to stop firing head coaches two years into their contracts! Technically, Weis was fired two years and the first month of the third season into his contract, but I think the point is still valid.

BoulderSooner79
10/27/2015, 11:31 AM
I say never..Because it wouldn't be Kansas telling him no, it would be Mangino telling Kansas no.. His ego is 6 sizes bigger than his waistline.

I'd be extremely careful hiring him if I were an AD. I would want to understand all the past friction and why he went so long between gigs. I am a hiring manager at my company, and found out the hard way that history does mean something when it comes to behavior. I'm not saying I wouldn't hire him, I'd just dig harder to get info about previous jobs.

badger
10/27/2015, 01:12 PM
I'd be extremely careful hiring him if I were an AD
I know KU is pouring a lot of money into losing coaches, but it doesn't seem to be a fire-able offense at KU if the football team doesn't win. If basketball stops winning the Big 12 and gets a few fewer banners to hang after the postseason, burn coaches! But football? Pbbbbth.

If I was young enough to troll still, I would do the "rock chalk" chant at Kansas football games when the lead becomes insurmountable by the other team. Hell, maybe I'll do that when I'm watching from home this weekend :D

aurorasooner
10/28/2015, 01:19 AM
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/randy-peterson/2015/10/26/paul-rhoads-mark-mangino-split-iowa-state-cyclones-offense/74620324/

Seems like I also read somewhere that Mangino's kid was a position coach at ISU and he would stay.

AMES, Ia.— Paul Rhoads and Mark Mangino kept up their facade way too long. Way too long, according to some who saw this head coach-offensive coordinator arrangement splintering more and more as Iowa State’s losses continued to build.

In the end, Rhoads wanted quarterbacks coach Todd Sturdy to begin calling the plays, starting with Saturday’s 6 p.m. homecoming game against Texas at Jack Trice Stadium.

The program’s CEO wanted more emphasis on a ground game that’s working, and less emphasis on a passing game that isn’t.

Mangino, Rhoads’ pass-minded offensive coordinator the past 19 games, didn’t want anything to do with it. He calls the plays, not Rhoads, and certainly not Sturdy.

Rhoads, however, calls the shots. It’s his program. It’s his job that’s likely to change after this season without two so more wins.

So Monday this existence — it wasn’t a relationship — ended the way everyone expected it to end when two strong-willed men try to coexist on the same sideline.

Mark — You’re Fired.

Passing should be only by necessity, and that’s where two strong personalities collided.

Mangino wasn’t on board with calling more rushing plays, a couple people close to the situation told me, and the rest is history.

After Lanning led Iowa State to 27 of last Saturday’s final 37 points at Baylor, Rhoads wanted to switch — not only quarterbacks, but strategy.

Mangino wasn’t on board, thus Monday’s announcement.

“We were doing some things that helped us move into a different direction as we move into these last five games,” Rhoads said.