PDA

View Full Version : Baylor QB out, to have season ending surgery

Mazeppa
10/26/2015, 02:07 PM
Per usatoday, today

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/10/26/baylor-quarterback-seth-russell-have-neck-surgery-out-season/74635186/

BetterSoonerThanLater
10/26/2015, 02:13 PM
Feel bad for the kid. Hope everything goes well with the surgery.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/26/2015, 02:38 PM
Feel bad for him..But next guy up at Baylor..Anyone expecting a slow down in that offense will be disappointed.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2015, 02:43 PM
Feel bad for him..But next guy up at Baylor..Anyone expecting a slow down in that offense will be disappointed.

Agree on both account - spinal stuff is nothing to mess with. I believe they are very much based on "system" QBs and the other guys filing in will produce. I suspect the biggest hit will be the next guy more vulnerable to making mistakes.

oupride
10/26/2015, 02:47 PM
Agree on both account - spinal stuff is nothing to mess with. I believe they are very much based on "system" QBs and the other guys filing in will produce. I suspect the biggest hit will be the next guy more vulnerable to making mistakes.

Agree, he should not have the best chemistry with their starting receivers, i.e. timing, etc.

rock on sooner
10/26/2015, 02:58 PM
Agree, he should not have the best chemistry with their starting receivers, i.e. timing, etc.

Every time I've watched Baylor the issue seems to be that DB's & corners
set up 5-7 yards off, the wr catches the ball, makes one cut and be off to
the races so, it would seem, that the qb just needs a quick read and a little
quicker release. Yeah, I know, that is the simplest term but, dayum, they
score like the old time pin ball machines....all that said...hope Russell heals
quickly and completely....

stoops the eternal pimp
10/26/2015, 03:01 PM
There is not a complicated route in the Baylor playbook.. They aren't asking him to do anything difficult.

Been on campus since January and getting a bye week in there..

oupride
10/26/2015, 03:06 PM
There is not a complicated route in the Baylor playbook.. They aren't asking him to do anything difficult.

Roger that.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2015, 04:11 PM

Yep, it's been described as a 1 read system. Now that Petty is in the NFL, he admitted he didn't even know who the "Mike" was while running the Baylor offense. The real secret to their system is recruiting and developing NFL level WRs. They have several starting for NFL teams right now and their 2 main guys this year look destined to play on Sunday too. Given our history at QB, I'm amazed at how few WRs we put into the NFL.

badger
10/26/2015, 04:11 PM
The next in line at Baylor is Jarrett Stidham (http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/105603/baylor-playoff-hopes-now-possibly-rest-on-true-freshman-qb-jarrett-stidham).

Even if Baylor's playbook is not complex, bad things tend to happen when you start a true freshman at quarterback.

olevetonahill
10/26/2015, 05:37 PM
Hate to hear about ANY kid gettin injured , Prayers ent for him.
Im thinkin a Bit of Karma after Sicem said he couldnt WAIT for Baker to Meet oakman.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/26/2015, 06:04 PM
Hate to hear about ANY kid gettin injured , Prayers ent for him.
Im thinkin a Bit of Karma after Sicem said he couldnt WAIT for Baker to Meet oakman.Generally I agree with you, and I think most people would...However Oakman is asking for a jamming of some type, and I prolly wouldn't have much empathy for him.

Snrinhouston
10/26/2015, 06:58 PM
I still wonder why Russell was in the game at that point? At home…halfway through the 4th…and up by 15. If the Freshman is really more than just serviceable, take your studhorse out.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2015, 07:34 PM
I still wonder why Russell was in the game at that point? At home…halfway through the 4th…and up by 15. If the Freshman is really more than just serviceable, take your studhorse out.

You answered your own question - 15 points is not a comfortable lead. A quick score due to a backup QB mistake followed by an onside kick/hail mary... (remember the end of the 1st half in our Tulsa game?). Also, I watched the game and BU went up 35-0 and then went totally dormant on offense. They didn't score in the 3rd and ISU closed it to 35-20 and you could tell the BU bench was getting a bit nervous.

CincySooner
10/27/2015, 06:17 AM
You answered your own question - 15 points is not a comfortable lead. A quick score due to a backup QB mistake followed by an onside kick/hail mary... (remember the end of the 1st half in our Tulsa game?). Also, I watched the game and BU went up 35-0 and then went totally dormant on offense. They didn't score in the 3rd and ISU closed it to 35-20 and you could tell the BU bench was getting a bit nervous.

Agreed... the folks who are saying that he never should have been in the game don't really understand the temperature of that game at that time. And if I were Briles, I would want my #1 QB on the field, making the key decisions to go up by 3 scores.

Breadburner
10/27/2015, 09:10 AM
Idiot lead with his head.......

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/27/2015, 09:38 AM
Even talented Freshman often make Freshman mistakes. Baylor is probably still the team to beat but I think they just became a lot more beatable.

oupride
10/27/2015, 10:16 AM

It was more than half way, there was 5 mins and 40 secs left and Baylor had the football.

BoulderSooner79
10/27/2015, 11:23 AM
Idiot lead with his head.......

Yes, Russell created the problem by ducking his head into a helmet to helmet hit. It was slightly off center and his head ricocheted violently to the right. Had it been dead center, it was the type of hit that could have resulted in paralysis.

I'm sure most coaches would still have their first string in the game in that situation. The problem was strictly Russell not protecting himself. I think it was supposed to be a pass play and he should either throw it away or slide if forced to scramble. Mayfield took a couple of hits late in the game that had me yelling at the TV too.

Soonerjeepman
10/27/2015, 11:27 AM
pray the kid is good...I'm sure if OU wins Sic will be a * by the loss...

SicEmBaylor
10/27/2015, 12:04 PM
pray the kid is good...I'm sure if OU wins Sic will be a * by the loss...

Uhm, no. I've never been one to do that ****. We either win or lose. There are no if's or but's.

SicEmBaylor
10/27/2015, 12:06 PM
Stidham will likely end up the best QB in Baylor history, but I don't know that he's fully ready for this offense and schedule. He wasn't supposed to start for another two years. Still, I'm going to stay cautiously optimistic.

Soonerjeepman
10/27/2015, 04:16 PM
I was givin ya $hit...lol. I still think bu is the team to beat. Honestly tcu looks beatable and so does osu. It's there...top 15 battle...if we win the next 2 maybe top 10...be a tough game.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/27/2015, 05:52 PM
Stidham will likely end up the best QB in Baylor history, but I don't know that he's fully ready for this offense and schedule. He wasn't supposed to start for another two years. Still, I'm going to stay cautiously optimistic.Maybe he'll transfer out next year?!

achiro
10/27/2015, 09:42 PM
Baylor won't be the same team. They won't have the qb run like they have had(and that was huge for them at times), you don't want to get your only qb hurt. They will still be very good but I didn't see them losing before the injury, now its actually a possibility.