PDA

View Full Version : The Off PI on Tech

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/26/2015, 09:34 AM
The announcers were baffled and couldn't explain it correctly. I am not normally a fan of steroid boy's crew, but they deserve some serious props for this call.

The crack was completely legal until the QB threw the ball. At that point, it was only illegal for the following reasons:

It was more than a 1/2 yard downfield AND The receiver was not behind the LOS

If the QB runs - legal
If the block is at 1/2 yard downfield (it was 2) - legal
If the receiver is behind the LOS - legal

So think about how good that call was. The ref had to retroactively understand that 3 different factors made a block illegal. I wonder how many refs in the nation would have actually known to call that 5 seconds after the fact (which was why the flag was so late).

dwarthog
10/26/2015, 09:44 AM
It was a good call.

I suspect they were watching for something like that as that has a lot of working parts in play to be legit.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2015, 09:48 AM
We lucked out on that one, as I doubt many refs would call since it was so far away from the receiver. I think the ref caught it because the block was so blatant and not a more subtle "rub" play. It could be that guy blocking thought the QB had committed to the run at that point.

Soonerjeepman
10/26/2015, 12:15 PM
We lucked out on that one, as I doubt many refs would call since it was so far away from the receiver. I think the ref caught it because the block was so blatant and not a more subtle "rub" play. It could be that guy blocking thought the QB had committed to the run at that point.

that and it was on the goal line...everything condensed down to a few yards.