PDA

View Full Version : blah blah..win out..yada yada...we're in it

BigTip
10/25/2015, 10:58 PM
That's all I am saying.

I keep hoping this team or that team loses, but I'm thinking if we win out, we're there.

Yes yes I know.

But sometimes I look at the team and think..yes. Other times I think...not a chance.

But I think the O line is coming around. I can't tell if it's the recent competition or if it is really starting to gel.

We'll see. Don't fault a fellow fer hopin"

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2015, 11:17 PM
But I think the O line is coming around. I can't tell if it's the recent competition or if it is really starting to gel.

A little of both, IMO. They were bound to get better with more reps and I think they have. LR is also diversifying the play calling which helps them out. The good news is that I don't think we'll see a D-line as good as the Vols or Horns the rest of the way. BU has a couple of good players, but they've been inconsistent. I think the toughest group left is at OSU (gak!). The next 2 weeks should be good confidence builders. KU is probably as bad as TT up front. ISU is a step up, but about the KSU level.

olevetonahill
10/25/2015, 11:50 PM
Ive still got hopes of winning my 200 $ bet at 35 to 1 that We Win the whole thing.

SoonerMarkVA
10/26/2015, 07:56 AM
No doubt in my mind that we control our destiny.

Doesn't mean we make it, but win out and we're in.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2015, 09:10 AM
I can't agree that if we win out we're in - but I'd put it at >98% probability.

We never control our own destiny as no team does. There is luck involved (good and bad) and the opponents have a say too. Those bastages have coaches and players and proactively scheme to derail our plans. Criminals !

Pride1Mom
10/26/2015, 09:20 AM
Texas needs to have a good showing, and I think OU can beat anyone with the defense that is finally showing up. In the year 2000, Florida State was supposed to be a high powered offense, and OU shut them out!

swardboy
10/26/2015, 10:09 AM
Aside from improving performances on both sides of the ball, my greatest hope has been realized: LR is utilizing ALL our weapons and bringing out the best in our offensive potential.

BigTip
10/26/2015, 10:17 AM
Texas needs to have a good showing,

I'm not even sure of that. I couldn't decide what to hope for when they were playing KSU.

Let them continue to suck? Hopefully our loss would then be considered as an even stranger anomaly that it already was. Stranger yet because texass never wins again?

I don't know.

SoonerMarkVA
10/26/2015, 10:26 AM
I can't agree that if we win out we're in - but I'd put it at >98% probability.

We never control our own destiny as no team does. There is luck involved (good and bad) and the opponents have a say too. Those bastages have coaches and players and proactively scheme to derail our plans. Criminals !

"Control our destiny" is shorthand for us winning takes care of the result, and doesn't depend on any other particular team still in the mix to have to lose--except those that happen to be on our schedule :)

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2015, 10:30 AM
I guess I'm the only one that didn't think the horns were that bad going into the game. (Actually, STEP seemed to agree with me and I think he is one of our most informed posters). I looked at their schedule coming in at 1-4 and being honest with myself, I think OU could have easily been 1-4 playing the same teams. I gave OU about a 60% chance in that game and nothing has changed that view including the game itself. A win at 40% chance is not much of an upset; the fact they got a lead early is what tipped the scales. Just because we dominated KSU and TT doesn't reflect on the horn game. Those teams don't have the D-lines to disrupt our O-line, so it's a completely different match-up issue. I'm not saying the horns are some great team, just that they were a particularly tough match-up for us - especially at that time.

Jacie
10/26/2015, 10:34 AM
To say a team "controls their own destiny" is a phrase oft applied after a loss and it still fits most of the teams in the Top 25. The next two weeks, barring a shocking upset, won't do a thing for Oklahoma unless it involves another team that "controls their own destiny" losing.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2015, 10:35 AM
"Control our destiny" is shorthand for us winning takes care of the result, and doesn't depend on any other particular team still in the mix to have to lose--except those that happen to be on our schedule :)

Yes, I understand the context and am being a bit pedantic. But one need look no further than Baylor's current angst to realize "control" is an illusion in CFB.

SoonerMarkVA
10/26/2015, 10:35 AM
The whorn D line obviously whipped our O-line. My vociferous objection during the game is we didn't adjust with a fast-hitting attack. Most of the pass plays were drop-back and Mayfield trying to scan the field. We had no time for that. We also didn't punish them with screens or, heaven forbid, the shovel pass. I still say the offensive game plan for KSU would have been very successful against whorn (the plan for Tech, not so much).

SoonerMarkVA
10/26/2015, 10:36 AM
Yes, I understand the context and am being a bit pedantic. But one need look no further than Baylor's current angst to realize "control" is an illusion in CFB.

Only if they don't keep winning ;)

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2015, 10:40 AM
To say a team "controls their own destiny" is a phrase oft applied after a loss and it still fits most of the teams in the Top 25. The next two weeks, barring a shocking upset, won't do a thing for Oklahoma unless it involves another team that "controls their own destiny" losing.

I like the new Dr. Pepper ad with the soda vendor consoling the disheartened fan. Their team just lost because their kicker missed a kick. The vendor reminds him that 3 of the 4 teams last year had 1 loss and the fan says "so we're still in it?". The vendor laughs and replies "with that kicker? You're QB has a noodle arm and your LBs are slow". The fan goes away encouraged "we're still in it!". Best parody to capture fans thinking I've ever seen :D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/26/2015, 11:01 AM
That's all I am saying.

I keep hoping this team or that team loses, but I'm thinking if we win out, we're there.

Yes yes I know.

But sometimes I look at the team and think..yes. Other times I think...not a chance.

We'll see. Don't fault a fellow fer hopin"

I'm still not real crazy with confidence thinking we win out out but I would say IF we win out it would be almost certain. The only scenario where I think might get dicey is if we have Ohio St, Clemson and LSU all undefeated and OU is in direct competition with 1-loss Notre Dame for that last spot. ND could point to the win over Texas and only a loss to Clemson.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2015, 11:44 AM
I'm still not real crazy with confidence thinking we win out out but I would say IF we win out it would be almost certain. The only scenario where I think might get dicey is if we have Ohio St, Clemson and LSU all undefeated and OU is in direct competition with 1-loss Notre Dame for that last spot. ND could point to the win over Texas and only a loss to Clemson.

True and that's not a terribly remote situation. You can replace LSU with 1 loss Bama too. 1 loss Stanford coming off a win over ND and the pac12 CCG could jump us too. All unlikely taken in isolation, but the accumulative odds add up (although not as big as the odds of us dropping another).

Soonerjeepman
10/26/2015, 12:11 PM
I'll jump in....

I have been impressed these last 2 games. TT has only given up 1 sack previous to Sat...we had 4?

Offensively, as it's been stated, LR is really using the weapons well. Realizing our line can't just sit there and block. I'm thinking we are one of the top....but again we haven't' really faced a D like tcu/bu/osu...we'll see.

IF, a big IF OU wins out then I'd think 3 wins against "top 10" as of now teams would go well.

Ranking the 3...

best chance for a win
- tcu (at home, ksu score 45 on them...really?)
- osu just not sure they're all that...yet OT to wv and close win at home vs ksu
- bu even with qb out the 2nd teamer is a stud.

oupride
10/26/2015, 02:34 PM
I'm not even sure of that. I couldn't decide what to hope for when they were playing KSU.

Let them continue to suck? Hopefully our loss would then be considered as an even stranger anomaly that it already was. Stranger yet because texass never wins again?

I don't know.
Texas beat Oklahoma and if it weren't for that fact I would not care about them at all. Now? Unfortunately, yes, I hope that they do well. They have a 3-4 record with 5 teams left to play and they are:
Kansas,
ISU,
WV,
TTech
and Baylor.

Could win 4 outta 5 and that puts them at 7-5. That would be doing well IMO. The obvious loss is Baylor, but they could stumble at Morgantown and be 6-6. If they lose to TTech, ISU or Kansas, that would be not doing well.

oupride
10/26/2015, 02:39 PM
- osu just not sure they're all that...yet OT to wv and close win at home vs ksu

DON'T FORGET THE TX PUNTER DROPPING THE BALL TO GIVE LIL BROTHER THE WIN!

Jacie
10/26/2015, 07:31 PM
Texas beat Oklahoma and if it weren't for that fact I would not care about them at all. Now? Unfortunately, yes, I hope that they do well. They have a 3-4 record with 5 teams left to play and they are:
Kansas,
ISU,
WV,
TTech
and Baylor.

The obvious loss is Baylor . . .

If the sa*et D line is indeed improving along with their two-headed monster at QB, maybe that loss to the bears is not so obvious.