PDA

View Full Version : Official Game Thread: OU verus Kansas State (2015)

Pages : 1 [2]

jiminy
10/17/2015, 05:44 PM
Only question now is the shutout

OMG you are dead if you jinxed it

BB37
10/17/2015, 05:46 PM
Short, Kittie's ball. 1:25 to avoid a goose egg.

BB37
10/17/2015, 05:48 PM
Game over. Shutout intact.

SoCalBigRed
10/17/2015, 05:48 PM
Shutout... its about time!

BoulderSooner79
10/17/2015, 05:50 PM
OMG you are dead if you jinxed it

Guess I'll see another sunrise

swardboy
10/17/2015, 05:51 PM
I don't understand this team. How can so much improvement be made in a week?

At this rate we'll be in the Super Bowl.

SoonerMarkVA
10/17/2015, 06:06 PM
This was the offensive gameplan I was SCREAMING for last week, before the end of the 1st Q!

If we employ this scheme the rest of the year, and just accept that the line is an utter sieve and the only way to account for it is quickly getting the ball out of Mayfield's hands, we have a chance in every game we play. Even Baylor.

I really think the defense fed off the offense too. The offense went out an dominated, and the defense kicked it up several notches.

Riley sticking with a fast air-raid attack is the linchpin.

It's almost like Stoops was keeping himself inserted into the offense, and this week Riley said, "How about if I just give it a go all my way?"

Wow. Crazy day. And suddenly very hopeful for the rest of the season.

graphster
10/17/2015, 06:09 PM
Who could have seen this coming after last week? I'm less surprised by the offense than the defense.

Also kind of perplexed that K-State came out throwing against a defense that got beaten up against the run last week.

SoCalBigRed
10/17/2015, 06:20 PM
Guess I'll see another sunrise

Yeah, I waited until the final gun.

You jumped it. But... typical Sooner, eh!?

BoulderSooner79
10/17/2015, 06:21 PM
Don't be fooled. If we played the horns again, we would struggle again - it's all about match-ups. I'm not saying we couldn't beat the horns - obviously we could have last week with just a couple of plays going the other way. But they would physically out match our O-line no matter what the game plan is, and points would be hard to come by. Losing in the trenches impacts every play of every drive. Today shows that we do have good skill players if we have time to get the ball to them.

The good news is that no remaining team on the schedule can do that to us. But the bad news is the offenses we have to face are far better than the horns.

Okie35
10/17/2015, 06:51 PM
I don't understand this team. How can so much improvement be made in a week?

At this rate we'll be in the Super Bowl.

Is always night and day after a loss you know that lol I just wish we played pissed every game

Okie35
10/17/2015, 06:53 PM
Don't be fooled. If we played the horns again, we would struggle again - it's all about match-ups. I'm not saying we couldn't beat the horns - obviously we could have last week with just a couple of plays going the other way. But they would physically out match our O-line no matter what the game plan is, and points would be hard to come by. Losing in the trenches impacts every play of every drive. Today shows that we do have good skill players if we have time to get the ball to them.

The good news is that no remaining team on the schedule can do that to us. But the bad news is the offenses we have to face are far better than the horns.

We would struggle but if we established a run early we would win

cvsooner
10/17/2015, 07:00 PM
My theory: Stoops and staff treat the players like adults most of the times and then they act like kids (Texas game happens). Then they go back to treating them like colleges kids and you get this.

It's a business for the coaches. I think that's why all the "we didn't execute " talk.

BoulderSooner79
10/17/2015, 07:03 PM
We would struggle but if we established a run early we would win

I think I implied that. I'm just saying that our match-up against KSU was so different, it's not worth comparing. Things would never go this smoothly against them, but sure we could win. Just don't get behind early.

oupride
10/17/2015, 07:04 PM

ditto

aurorasooner
10/17/2015, 07:17 PM
Interesting game next week. KSU vs the Whorns in Austin. I guess we'll find out if the whorns are somewhat for real or we just coughed it up last week. I wouldn't think a Snyder coached team would give up the gift TOs/incompletions for 3 outs early like they did today with the pass, and if they move the ball on the ground at all against Texass then we'll be kicking ourselves for not scalding them.

I thought our Xs/Os were pretty damned good today and our D played lights out disciplined FB except for a couple of deep ball busts which were luckily over-thrown. Snyder looked completely stunned all-game like he didn't wtf was going on.

We're going to have to do it with smoke and mirrors (and get up early) on offense though, because our OL does just flat suck. I mean that all-world Akron D front 7 just got plowed today by BG, and Tulsa didn't fare much better

FaninAma
10/17/2015, 07:17 PM
ditto
The horns offensive line was as bad or worse than ours. Our defensive scheme sucked in that game.

SoonerMarkVA
10/17/2015, 07:31 PM
The horns offensive line was as bad or worse than ours. Our defensive scheme sucked in that game.

And, our offensive scheme sucked in that game. We lined up and played them with a conventional offense, giving Mayfield drop back passes in the pocket, meant to take time to develop. Our running game was straight ahead, and also took time to develop. We were anything but "air raid".

This game: completely different. It was all about moving the ball around, getting it out into space, and quickly out of Mayfield's hands.

FaninAma
10/17/2015, 08:13 PM
The team performance in this game doesn't really take away the sting of the team being so badly prepared last week.

BoulderSooner79
10/17/2015, 09:42 PM
The team performance in this game doesn't really take away the sting of the team being so badly prepared last week.

It does for me. #LivingInTheMoment

aurorasooner
10/17/2015, 10:14 PM
The team performance in this game doesn't really take away the sting of the team being so badly prepared the last 3 years against the whorns. FIFY
Bob better step it up or he will just be 50% against them when he checks out unless he pulls a Spurrier. That pic of Uncle Charlie wearing the Golden Hat and the recruiting caption of "we need you" just burns my azz.

Okie35
10/17/2015, 11:05 PM

Early it did but after that it was all offense mainly running the ball

Okie35
10/17/2015, 11:08 PM
FIFY
Bob better step it up or he will just be 50% against them when he checks out unless he pulls a Spurrier. That pic of Uncle Charlie wearing the Golden Hat and the recruiting caption of "we need you" just burns my azz.

Recruiting doesn't matter. Baylor, tcu, owns Texas now when it comes to instate

rock on sooner
10/18/2015, 10:01 AM
All this back and forth.....harrumph! It's really the 2:30 kickoff!!!!!

cherokeebrewer
10/18/2015, 03:03 PM
That game was amazing. Only things I saw as being bad was 2 KSU wr's running wide open but QB over throws. The Oline is still a work in progress but I'm not complaining. That was a complete game with lots of fire in their belly's. Hope we see much more of it...

FaninAma
10/18/2015, 11:14 PM
It does for me. #LivingInTheMoment
Yeah because kicking a beat up KSU team is so much more satisfying than beating our biggest rival. Who cares that Stoops, for the second year in a row, has single handedly turned around the seasons and careers of our 2 biggest rivals....Osu/Gundy last year and Texas/Strong this year.

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2015, 12:26 AM
Who cares that Stoops, for the second year in a row, has single handedly turned around the seasons and careers of our 2 biggest rivals....Osu/Gundy last year and Texas/Strong this year.

I certainly don't care. #LiveAndLetLive

FaninAma
10/19/2015, 09:01 AM
I certainly don't care. #LiveAndLetLive

Yay for you.

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2015, 09:27 AM
Yay for you.

And yay for you too. You stated how you viewed current things - I assumed you were interested in how others felt too. Bad assumption?

Soonerjeepman
10/19/2015, 11:56 AM

makes it almost worse...but it is what it is...

Soonerjeepman
10/19/2015, 12:01 PM
That game was amazing. Only things I saw as being bad was 2 KSU wr's running wide open but QB over throws. The Oline is still a work in progress but I'm not complaining. That was a complete game with lots of fire in their belly's. Hope we see much more of it...

couldn't punch it in with the run from inside the 5..twice..right? THAT is an issue. ksu's tackling was worse than ours last week. I'm not complaining, it's a win. Yes, I pick ksu to win. Things change, but I'm still am going to see how the season goes...3 more losses are just as likely as not.

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2015, 12:54 PM
couldn't punch it in with the run from inside the 5..twice..right? THAT is an issue. ksu's tackling was worse than ours last week. I'm not complaining, it's a win. Yes, I pick ksu to win. Things change, but I'm still am going to see how the season goes...3 more losses are just as likely as not.

And that expectation really hasn't changed from pre-season - IMO. 5-1 or 4-2 at this point in the season is about where I thought we would be. I would have guessed the Vols game as a more likely loss than the horns - and it almost was. Those 2 games were pretty similar where the mis-match of the opposing D-line against our weakest link O-line caused us to struggle on offense most the game. The only difference was our defense came up bigger against the Vols than the horns. And our offense could only manage 1 4th qtr drive to try to tie instead of the 2 needed.

Over-all, I am a bit more optimistic now at the half way point than pre-season. Mayfield is better than I expected, but certainly has his flaws. The defensive secondary is playing much better than last year, but we have yet to hit the really good passing teams. WVU is the best so far and is also our best win (I'm assuming WVU is better than KSU). The D-line and LBs are about as expected. I expected the O-line to struggle, but not this badly and certainly not this far into the season. Riley showed more versatility in the attack last week which helped the O-line - perhaps that will give them more confidence going forward. The WRs outside Shep are contributing much more than last season. The RBs are clearly hampered by run blocking, and perhaps the scheme.

I figure it will take the full season to really see how the LR hire is projecting unless it is a total disaster. And no, the horn game does not prove that it has been. In fact, I'd say it looks encouraging after the first half season, though there is plenty of things that need to improve. I'd say LR has earned at least another season and see how he does as a recruiter and if there is a big jump in execution from year 1 to year 2 as I would expect.

Soonerjeepman
10/19/2015, 01:57 PM
BS...pretty spot on. Honestly before the year started I figured the horns would be better....and tenn would be a push.

LR def changed the game plan at ksu. GET THE BALL OUT QUICK...lol Knowing our oline woes.

I agree, I'm a bit more optimistic. If OU can get to 9 reg season wins and a bowl win...or more, I'll say we improved. (yes improvement can come in different ways, including NOT getting blown out by tcu/bu or the bowl game.)