PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Season

Soonerjeepman
10/15/2015, 10:49 AM
#2 in Big12...behind ku of course and just in front of isu.

Hope our redshirt guys and new 7'ter are great additions.

Sooner95
10/15/2015, 06:33 PM
Coaches Poll out, #8 overall, 3 teams in top 8 with KU @5 and ISU @7.

Baylor @21, WVU @23.

Could be a great year for the Big12.

Sooner95
10/15/2015, 06:35 PM
#2 in Big12...behind ku of course and just in front of isu.

Hope our redshirt guys and new 7'ter are great additions.

Right on. I am a little concerned with replacing Thomas. Gotta have some front court presence. Young guys will have to step up.

Soonerjeepman
10/16/2015, 11:31 PM
yup..I just want to dethrone ku! I feel about ku basketball as you guys down south feel about ut football..or osu. I can't stand those guys up here...lol.

Lat, and Buford need to really show some things early.

Sooner95
10/17/2015, 10:42 PM
Agree. KU has won this conf enough. Someone Please step up! hopefully it is us!

badger
10/21/2015, 01:04 PM
I've had a long run talking womens basketball here, but I'm probably gonna dial it back even more this year. The team is not on the same level it once was, and I've done a lot less message boarding than I used to.

I'm still a fan of OU basketball, mens and womens, of course. I hope we take home two titles and send UConn even further into its mid-minor conference abyss* :D

*NO you canNOT join the Big 12! Rot in the AAC, losers! Bwahahahahahahaa

Soonerjeepman
10/21/2015, 08:59 PM
is the women's team even going to be worth a chit? I usually keep up with them as well...coached HS girls, but I haven't seen much news. Honestly I think we'll be the second 10...maybe dance with top 10 ever know and then. Just aren't getting the big studs.

badger
10/23/2015, 12:41 PM
Worth a chit? Hmm, might make the postseason, but picked fifth in the preseason poll:
http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209701626

About 15 years ago, I spammed an ESPN.com chat with Sherri Coale with questions and one of ones that got through was about sustaining program success. Sherri said it is all about recruiting.

When you think about the type of players that got us to the Final Fours of the past --- Stacey Dales, LeNeisha Caufield, Roz Ross in 2002; Paris twins, D-Rob, Whitney Hand and Abi Olajuwon in 09/10 --- are they at our program now, or are they recruits that are committed to the program now?

I think the answer's no. That's not to say that our current players/recruits aren't wonderful young women that will make OU proud and will go on to achieve greatness in their own ways, but I don't think they are the players that will get us back to the top of the Big 12, let alone another Final Four.

In example... our guard duo of Morgan Hook and Aarron Ellenberg were fast, shot threes well, and moved the ball around... but neither were on the caliber of Danielle Robinson, a WNBA All-Star that was even faster and could score a quick two and even draw fouls in the process.

Another example: Nicole Griffin was taller than most opponents, which is extremely valuable in getting rebounds and scoring from the post... but she was not Courtney/Ashley Paris, nor Abi Olajuwon, whom all had shots in the WNBA as well. Nicole could look Britney Griner at eye-level without going on her tippy toes, but did not have the strength to contain her on defense and often drew silly send-you-to-the-bench fouls early.

I was excited when I saw all three in the same OU recruiting class, but they were not on the same level as OU players of the past, and the results during their college careers showed, as well as the fact that they're not WNBA players now.

This is in the sports sense, of course. I was never embarrassed to be a fan of OU during their time, win or loss, and I wish them the best in their future endeavors

Salt City Sooner
10/23/2015, 01:16 PM
That's last year's pre-season poll. We're picked to finish 3rd this year, 1 point behind UT for 2nd.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=750397&SPID=127261&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=210418887

badger
10/23/2015, 02:16 PM
My bad... I still think postseason is highest we can expect this year. I'd love to be proven wrong, however