PDA

View Full Version : *Sigh* More Of This Crap

Tear Down This Wall
10/15/2015, 10:00 AM
http://collegesports.blog.statesman.com/2015/10/14/houston-regent-chair-pushes-to-get-big-12-invite-for-cougars/

tycat947
10/15/2015, 11:00 AM
Typical Texan that think they rule the world! The ONLY way I'd accept Cougar High as Big 12 member is if the Big 12 flushes Hypocrite U (and TCU for good measure) down the effing toilet! We have 2 too many Texas teams now! That's why Big 12 succumbed to the whorns power because they brought in 3 "yes men" (a&m, Tech and Hypocrite U) to Big 12 in 1996.

oupride
10/15/2015, 11:27 AM
My question is why did Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby say there are no plans for the conference to expand? This should be his top priority IMO! I want 14 or 16 teams in the conference. And no, I do not want Houston. That will not do anything to help. The Big 12 needs to cast a big and wide net. For the record the Big 10 has 14 teams. Surprised?

TheHumanAlphabet
10/15/2015, 11:39 AM
Fertida is an *** hat and a huge entertainment mogul. Gots lots of family places including Rain Forest Cafe... I refuse to enter into any of his establishments. I do not want to fuel his lavish lifestyle.

badger
10/15/2015, 11:55 AM
Push for SEC membership. Big 12 already props up four Texas teams, Mr. Regent. Put the burden on A&M to get another Texas school in the SEC rather that UT needing to prop up yet another little brother school.

If Houston needs so damn bad to get in a big boy conference, don't go running to the Texas legislature to force your way into the Big 12. Make the A&M-SEC thing payoff for someone other than A&M (and TCU I guess)

SicEmBaylor
10/15/2015, 02:07 PM
Typical Texan that think they rule the world! The ONLY way I'd accept Cougar High as Big 12 member is if the Big 12 flushes Hypocrite U (and TCU for good measure) down the effing toilet! We have 2 too many Texas teams now! That's why Big 12 succumbed to the whorns power because they brought in 3 "yes men" (a&m, Tech and Hypocrite U) to Big 12 in 1996.

Well, you know what they say, if you can't beat them then turn tail and run.

SicEmBaylor
10/15/2015, 02:08 PM
I will say that the Big XII has enough Texas teams even if I do pine for the good old days of the SWC.

KantoSooner
10/15/2015, 02:12 PM
Well, you know what they say, if you can't beat them then turn tail and run.

Alternative history: What if the Alamo had a back door?

badger
10/15/2015, 02:19 PM
I'd like to think the rest of the Big 12 would cap Texas team membership at four, so long as Texas itself is one of the four. If UT is out, the Big 12 is finished. Same if OU were to leave. OU and UT are the glue holding the 10-team conference together.

Now, if the Texas legislature wants to get together and politically decide which three of TCU, Baylor, Tech and Houston get to be the Big 12, be my friggin' guest.

Or better yet, make A&M piggyback another Texas school into the SEC like UT had to piggyback the other Texas schools into the Big 12... and almost to a "Pac 16."

Before we take Mr. Billionaire too seriously, remember that FedEx guy dropped the Orange Bowl sponsorship in hopes to using his money to get Memphis into a big boy conference. Unless you count the AAC (and Houston's billionaire apparently does not), Memphis is about as close to boy boy membership as Houston is right now... and Memphis is also undefeated and top 25.

BoulderSooner79
10/15/2015, 02:41 PM
No to another texas team to beat us and cause our message board to melt down.

badger
10/15/2015, 02:47 PM
I'm trying to fathom a scenario where this proposal does not totally suck, and finally came up with one:

Package deal that involves expanding to 14-16 with a bunch of quality teams... and Houston.

Notre Dame, BYU, Nebraska, Missouri... and Houston.

Throw in Memphis if FedEx guy was serious about bringing his Tigers to the forefront. They don't stink at football/basketball right now. Cincinnati otherwise if you absolutely need 16.

If there's 15, we could do trifecta of 5-team divisions. If 16, 8-team divisions.

And the best part for Baylor fans is that with a larger conference, we would no longer have a round robin and therefore, no more "One True Champion" slogan :P

badger
10/15/2015, 02:48 PM
And I realize that scenario is not going to happen, but neither is Houston to the Big 12

TAFBSooner
10/15/2015, 08:48 PM

This Baylor thing is getting way too out of hand. I had two Baptists come, uninvited, to my door at 8:08 tonite.

However, there's a lot of maroons in east texas that would resent you calling them yes-men to the whorns.

Mac94
10/16/2015, 08:28 AM
That's why Big 12 succumbed to the whorns power because they brought in 3 "yes men" (a&m, Tech and Hypocrite U) to Big 12 in 1996.

In what alternative universe is "4" greater than "8?" Texas gained power by going after Nebraska ... and everyone ... old SWC and old Big-8, including OU, sided with Texas over the Huskers. It was more like 4+7 against 1. As much as the SWC was dying ... the Big-8 needed the Texas schools to remain viable in the new TV landscape. The merger became a power play between Texas and Nebraska and since Nebraska was an 800lb gorilla at the time everyone wanted to cut them down to size.

KantoSooner
10/16/2015, 09:59 AM
This Baylor thing is getting way too out of hand. I had two Baptists come, uninvited, to my door at 8:08 tonite.

Ah, come on, man. THAT is an invitation for some quality entertainment. Tell 'em you worship Set, the great serpent, but thank them for their interest. Or, if you're unclothed, just open the door, nude and invite them in. Leave Frank Zappa's 'Tax the Churchs' queued and ready to go. The possibilities are endless.
they want to invade your privacy and harass you in your home? Consider it open season on rudeness. Even morons will get the message after a while.

tycat947
10/16/2015, 10:33 AM
Big 12 never needed Tech or Hypocrite U in any way, shape or form! whorns wanted them all so they would have voting block as soon as they joined and that's exactly what happened. The other 3 Texas schools were so tickled to be invited that they would wipe texas a$$! They knew they would end up like Rice, Houston, SMU, or TCU (Horned Frogs were anomaly). I think this arrogant Texan is just begging like BYU is attempting to do, as well. He thinks that he can throw money at anything and make it happen. Not gonna happen!

badger
10/16/2015, 11:02 AM
There's a lot of delusion going around college football these days. I'm not guilt-free in this category; I live under the fairy tale that anything can still happen for OU this season, including an Ohio-State-like run to the CFP :P

But to this discussion, there's a lot of delusion regarding conference reallignment that led us to this point, and will blindly guide the Big 12 and others from here:

1- That Nebraska will be any more of a player in college football or recapture the glory years of the 90s in the Big Ten anymore than they would have in the Big 12
2- That the SEC is Missouri's and Texas A&M's golden ticket to the BCS bowls/national championship anymore than the Big 12 was
3- That Texas is the golden child in all of college sports that can prop up a national cable channel by itself regardless of how sucky its teams are
4- That bloated, big conferences can continue to command rising TV contract money in an era with dwindling cable subscription numbers, just as the colleges behind them can continue commanding rising tuition as student loan debt is rising to never-will-be-repaid levels
5- That major college sports is the holy grail that fans will never reject no matter the high cost of attendance, concessions, merchandise and everything associated, so we can continue building bigger stadiums, pay head and assistant coaches higher and higher salaries just by raising ticket prices, seat license fees and required booster donations just a little bit more regardless of win-loss records

The bubble is getting ready to burst. With the low price of oil and the prospect of another mid-tier bowl/no-championship season a distinct possibility this season, I'm not sure OU can weather the storm. That $350 million stadium expansion isn't paid for yet even though construction's begun.

FaninAma
10/16/2015, 02:56 PM
I will say that the Big XII has enough Texas teams even if I do pine for the good old days of the SWC.
That's what we will end up with. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

badger
10/16/2015, 03:44 PM
If we're the non-Texas of the SWC a la Arkansas, perhaps we'll end up where Arkansas did eventually afterward ;)

I really don't have any investment in this other than casual alumni fandom. I'm sure if I were a millionaire booster with my own personal box, or even a thousandaire bagman that finances recruits to the program a la SEC, I would care, but I don't.

After someone mentioned the Pac 12 Network faltering, I looked it up and lo and behold, it appears to be doing about as good as the Bevo Network. (http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/09/12/pac-12-network-att-directv-negotiations-no-deal) Check that, TLN is actually available on ATT Uverse and DirecTV (http://espn.go.com/longhornnetwork/getaccess).

So in context, Longhorn Network > Pac 12 Network at this point. OUCH. That's off the charts bad.

SicEmBaylor
10/16/2015, 03:55 PM
#BringBackTheSWC

tycat947
10/16/2015, 04:33 PM
If we're the non-Texas of the SWC a la Arkansas, perhaps we'll end up where Arkansas did eventually afterward ;)

I really don't have any investment in this other than casual alumni fandom. I'm sure if I were a millionaire booster with my own personal box, or even a thousandaire bagman that finances recruits to the program a la SEC, I would care, but I don't.

After someone mentioned the Pac 12 Network faltering, I looked it up and lo and behold, it appears to be doing about as good as the Bevo Network. (http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/09/12/pac-12-network-att-directv-negotiations-no-deal) Check that, TLN is actually available on ATT Uverse and DirecTV (http://espn.go.com/longhornnetwork/getaccess).

So in context, Longhorn Network > Pac 12 Network at this point. OUCH. That's off the charts bad.

I'm not so sure that all of these conference networks haven't peaked already. People have a lot of other activities in their lives instead of sitting in front of a TV watching all your conference rivals re-runs of 3 year old football games! I wouldn't give a flying f**k for watching Hypocrite U anything (unless OUr Sooners are involved). I don't care to watch Iowa St anything (again unless OU is involved) or Tech or K-State, etc. I actually think we (OU) may have the best setup of all. We have almost a national network to watch OU sports without having a 24/7 network which would be filled with repeats and re-runs (we do have some immediate repeats of events, within a day or 2 afterwards, which I think is ok, along with some historical football replays). My biggest complaints of SoonerSportsTV is that not all events are shown in HD and the events are spread over 4 or 5 different FSN channels (not one specific channel). We have coaches shows for many sports, which I enjoy too.

SEC Network is new and ESPiN is doing their best to promote this network (showing SEC programming on their regular networks and not just SEC Network channels) but I think the popularity of this network will wane in the next few years. In spite of the Bubba factor in SEC country, I just can't imagine Gator fans are going to be watching anything Miss State, MIZ...ZOU, Vandy, Ole Miss, etc. How these people can listen to hours of Dumbo the Finebaum, I don't have a clue! The live football games, that are shown on Saturdays of 12 weeks (outta 52), I can understand that, but I don't even believe that will carry this network in 5, 7 or 10 years. I don't see the ACC Network as being viable for long with all the private schools (re: low viewership); Wake Forest, BC, Duke (except basketball), Miami, Pitt and Georgia Tech. Trends aren't very lasting these days and I don't really see these conference networks (SEC, and maybe B1G, will outlast the others) standing the test of time.

TAFBSooner
10/16/2015, 05:05 PM
Ah, come on, man. THAT is an invitation for some quality entertainment. Tell 'em you worship Set, the great serpent, but thank them for their interest. Or, if you're unclothed, just open the door, nude and invite them in. Leave Frank Zappa's 'Tax the Churchs' queued and ready to go. The possibilities are endless.
they want to invade your privacy and harass you in your home? Consider it open season on rudeness. Even morons will get the message after a while.

My response was, "It's really late." That would apply to my capability for skewering them, as well as to the fact they were wandering around bothering people after dark.

Lame in my old age, I am getting .

mainline13
10/16/2015, 08:56 PM
My response was, "It's really late." That would apply to my capability for skewering them, as well as to the fact they were wandering around bothering people after dark.

Lame in my old age, I am getting .

Yoda? Is that you?

BoulderSooner79
10/16/2015, 09:03 PM
You can see our future conference brother on ESPNU against Tulane. Houston up 14-7 2nd qtr.

BTW, I'm watching it naked in case someone comes to the door.

Mac94
10/17/2015, 09:16 PM
Tech and baylor ended up in the big-12 because they had huge power backers in the Texas legislature including then lt gov Bob bullock. Texas and A&M weren't pushing for them ... and we wanted the SEC then .. but the politicians had a lot of power then.

SicEmBaylor
10/17/2015, 09:43 PM
Tech and baylor ended up in the big-12 because they had huge power backers in the Texas legislature including then lt gov Bob bullock. Texas and A&M weren't pushing for them ... and we wanted the SEC then .. but the politicians had a lot of power then.

That's 'Baylor' not 'baylor' and **** Texas a&m.

TAFBSooner
10/19/2015, 09:09 PM
**** Texas a&m.

If most of your fan base feels that way, you should totally schedule an OOC home and home with them. It's a short trip on Texas' bisexual highway.

SicEmBaylor
10/19/2015, 09:55 PM
If most of your fan base feels that way, you should totally schedule an OOC home and home with them. It's a short trip on Texas' bisexual highway.

If a giant Earth-busting meteor were hurling toward Earth, my final wish in life would be to see that it impacts College Station first.

I wouldn't **** on Aggie if it were on fire unless I had gasoline coming out of my dick.

If the Romans had been aware of the New World, they would have ignored Carthage and salted the ground of one-day College Station so that nothing could ever grow there.

They're a bizarre, disturbing, sick, mentally deranged, group of stark raving mad lunatics. Texas A&M is one big mental ward which would be fine, but so many of their patients keep escaping.

They're the cult that Reno should have burned to the ground.

If I could buy every Aggie a Christmas present, it would be logs.

TAFBSooner
10/19/2015, 10:09 PM
(We hates it! We hates it for ever!)

So, no joining with the Longhorns singing Kum Ba Yah after the 1999 Bonfire was, umm, cancelled? Baylor is the REAL mortal enemy off all things Aggie?

Is there a statue of Abe Lincoln on the A&M campus? I'm sure there is a good story or two behind this hatred.

SicEmBaylor
10/19/2015, 10:13 PM
So, no joining with the Longhorns singing Kum Ba Yah after the 1999 Bonfire was, umm, cancelled? Baylor is the REAL mortal enemy off all things Aggie?
That's a bit excessive. Kum Ba Yah time was 16 years ago.

Is there a statue of Abe Lincoln on the A&M campus? I'm sure there is a good story or two behind this hatred.
Insofar as that goes, I'd put the traditional Aggie attitude on that subject much more in line with my own.
Between my hatred or general Baylor hatred?

TAFBSooner
10/20/2015, 08:39 AM
That's a bit excessive. Kum Ba Yah time was 16 years ago.

Did I misunderstand the log reference?

Insofar as that goes, I'd put the traditional Aggie attitude on that subject much more in line with my own.
Between my hatred or general Baylor hatred?

Both, plzkthx.

badger
10/20/2015, 11:11 AM
I'd say :rcmad: is full of unwarranted arrogance. Hell, they modified their resume upon joining the SEC and suddenly they had more national championships than 1939 and more Big 12 conference championships than 1998

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/267100/After_.jpg

Thank goodness for Johnny or they may have invented some extra Heismans as well :P

tycat947
10/20/2015, 12:20 PM
If a giant Earth-busting meteor were hurling toward Earth, my final wish in life would be to see that it impacts College Station first.

I wouldn't **** on Aggie if it were on fire unless I had gasoline coming out of my dick.

If the Romans had been aware of the New World, they would have ignored Carthage and salted the ground of one-day College Station so that nothing could ever grow there.

They're a bizarre, disturbing, sick, mentally deranged, group of stark raving mad lunatics. Texas A&M is one big mental ward which would be fine, but so many of their patients keep escaping.

Same identical feelings I have for Hypocrite U and Wacko!!! :applause::applause:

SoonerorLater
10/20/2015, 12:25 PM
I'd say :rcmad: is full of unwarranted arrogance. Hell, they modified their resume upon joining the SEC and suddenly they had more national championships than 1939 and more Big 12 conference championships than 1998

That's standard SEC protocol.

KantoSooner
10/20/2015, 01:58 PM

That was a thing of utter beauty. Slow Clap.

KantoSooner
10/20/2015, 02:03 PM
Badger, I think you're largely right on the topic of the fate of conference networks. Still, cable systems, and their internet access successors, have vast band width to fill. OU should, I think, use their athletic content as a corner stone of a university network, but instead of many hours of reruns, broadcast lectures, symposia, etc. It would never rival a big deal for profit channel, but it would be interesting, would provide access to sports and would showcase the University across a broad potential audience...as well as allowing students to catch up on lectures they slept through.

jkjsooner
10/20/2015, 07:49 PM
Badger, I think you're largely right on the topic of the fate of conference networks. Still, cable systems, and their internet access successors, have vast band width to fill. OU should, I think, use their athletic content as a corner stone of a university network, but instead of many hours of reruns, broadcast lectures, symposia, etc. It would never rival a big deal for profit channel, but it would be interesting, would provide access to sports and would showcase the University across a broad potential audience...as well as allowing students to catch up on lectures they slept through.

I'm not sure cable systems have a large amount of bandwidth to fill. The move to digital and (with modern compression algorithms) did open up some bandwidth. If they had so much of it to spare you'd have a lot less compression noise on the channels and they'd start pushing 4k programming.

badger
10/21/2015, 12:51 PM
ESPN announced its cutting 300 jobs today (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-espn-layoffs-20151021-story.html).

I realize this might be a drop in the bucket (it represents 4 percent of their 8,000 workforce) but it is the latest sign that people are turning the channel and checkbook away from traditional cable packages.

KantoSooner
10/21/2015, 05:54 PM
I'm not sure cable systems have a large amount of bandwidth to fill. The move to digital and (with modern compression algorithms) did open up some bandwidth. If they had so much of it to spare you'd have a lot less compression noise on the channels and they'd start pushing 4k programming.
Perhaps. But with over 800 channels on my direct tv with less than half filled and many of those equating to watching paint dry, it seems like an OU channel would give them something to fill a barren landscape

rock on sooner
10/21/2015, 06:50 PM
You can see our future conference brother on ESPNU against Tulane. Houston up 14-7 2nd qtr.

BTW, I'm watching it naked in case someone comes to the door.

Ding Dong. Good evening, Sir...OH MY EYES, MY EYES! AIEYYYYY!
Door slam. Call to 911...I'm blinded..this man answered the door NEKKID!