PDA

View Full Version : Fire Mike and bring back BV?

stoopified
10/13/2015, 05:49 PM
I was talking OU football recently with someone who suggested this very thing. I laughed and said NO WAY. I went on to say that such a move would be widely opposed, not embraced. Am I right or wrong?

cvsooner
10/13/2015, 05:59 PM
I don't think BV would come back. Heck, he might be in the running for Spurrier's job at this point.

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2015, 06:16 PM
I don't think BV would come back. Heck, he might be in the running for Spurrier's job at this point.

^This. His next gig will be HBC - not necessarily replacing *the* HBC, but it won't be another DC job.

stoopified
10/13/2015, 06:16 PM
I don't think BV would come back. Heck, he might be in the running for Spurrier's job at this point.[I] agree but that is not the point,the point is would firing Mike and hiring(or trying) be a good idea.

SoonerorLater
10/13/2015, 06:45 PM
[I] agree but that is not the point,the point is would firing Mike and hiring(or trying) be a good idea.

No.

cherokeebrewer
10/13/2015, 06:52 PM
[I] agree but that is not the point,the point is would firing Mike and hiring(or trying) be a good idea.

No

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/13/2015, 07:12 PM
BGB will NOT fire his brother. Mike would have to resign, and I doubt Bob(BGB) would even allow that.

cvsooner
10/13/2015, 07:21 PM
BGB will NOT fire his brother. Mike would have to resign, and I doubt Bob(BGB) would even allow that.

Oh, I think if Mike resigned, he would and Bob would let him. Hell, he's done it once.

jiminy
10/13/2015, 07:53 PM
I think Bob would rather retire than fire his brother. There's a chance, though, that Mike could be "encouraged" to find another HC job.

10/13/2015, 11:30 PM
Oh, I think if Mike resigned, he would and Bob would let him. Hell, he's done it once.Well yeah, what I mean is I think Bob wouldn't want to be ANY part of putting pressure on Mike to resign.

tooslow
10/14/2015, 01:11 AM
As much as I think Mike has trouble scheming against good spread offenses, I don't think BV would do any better. I think Mike was better suited when scheming against traditional pro-set offenses, with the occasional clunker or two thrown in.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/14/2015, 07:16 AM
Let's not forget that recruiting was declining in Venables final years and let's not forget those defensive performances against Texas Tech in Norman, Baylor and OSU in 2011. Not to mention, when Venables took over, his weaknesses was his linebackers getting shredded over the middle and Texas Tech won every yer in Lubbock when Venables was the defensive coordinator including once in Norman. I don't even want to think what Baylor and TCU would do to his defenses now.

He's doing well in the ACC, but the ACC has a good number of weak and/or one-dimensional offenses. There isn't a harder conference to defend than the Big 12 offenses.

Boomer.....
10/14/2015, 07:58 AM
Zero chance of that happening. If things don't get better, I can see OU pushing Mike to explore other options. I doubt Bob would outright fire him. I don't think OU or Bob would ever rehire a guy they let go regardless of how successful he has become since. They're way to proud for that.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/14/2015, 08:15 AM
Not sure what some of this fanbase's obsession is with regurgitating the same coaches who have been here..Honest to God, it's incredibly stupid. I was considered a pro-Brent guy here but that ship has sailed.

It's why I was against bringing Mike back(don't hire someone you can't fire), I'm against bringing Mangino back, etc... Get over the past and learn to move on..Sweet F'n Christ.

BoulderSooner79
10/14/2015, 10:08 AM
Not sure what some of this fanbase's obsession is with regurgitating the same coaches who have been here..Honest to God, it's incredibly stupid. I was considered a pro-Brent guy here but that ship has sailed.

It's why I was against bringing Mike back(don't hire someone you can't fire), I'm against bringing Mangino back, etc... Get over the past and learn to move on..Sweet F'n Christ.

I approve this message. In Mike's case, there were red flags all over that situation. If it looked like Mike was getting preferential treatment, it could cause all kinds of problem in the coaching staff. And I wasn't even considering the possibility he might do a poor job. It worked before for a short while when Mike and Brent shared duties, but now Mike sure looks to be the HC's golden child (or bro).

badger
10/14/2015, 01:37 PM
The BV ship has sailed. It would be detrimental to his career to take a step back at this point. He's finally out from behind the Stoops shadow, he essentially got demoted when Bob brought Mike back (from sole to co-DC) and now he's proving that he can succeed away from Norman.

:D Mind you, I fully expect Clemp-son to choke like they always do every season, but HEY! Enjoy the ride while it last, Tigers*

*Same with you, Memphis**

**I guess LSU too***

***But not Mizzou. Those Tigers suck****

****And eff Auburn. Those Tigers also suck

FlatLander
10/14/2015, 03:09 PM
I approve this message. In Mike's case, there were red flags all over that situation. If it looked like Mike was getting preferential treatment, it could cause all kinds of problem in the coaching staff. And I wasn't even considering the possibility he might do a poor job. It worked before for a short while when Mike and Brent shared duties, but now Mike sure looks to be the HC's golden child (or bro).

Aside from Striker and Bond our LB play seems very laid back. They are out there, they make some plays but they are not a presence/force like we used to have for a very long time. They are just ok. I really hoped that Kish was part of the house cleaning last year, but I think he is the DC's golden child.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/14/2015, 03:12 PM

Well I'm not saying fire Stoops but if he left I wouldn't be too upset with Kevin Sumlin.

REDREX
10/14/2015, 03:27 PM
Why would he come back?------I bet he goes to K-State when the Old Man leaves

10/14/2015, 04:26 PM
Why would he come back?------I bet he goes to K-State when the Old Man leavesI bet he's got the job if he wants it.

Tear Down This Wall
10/15/2015, 09:54 AM
I was talking OU football recently with someone who suggested this very thing. I laughed and said NO WAY. I went on to say that such a move would be widely opposed, not embraced. Am I right or wrong?

Yes, it would be opposed by the idiots who thought Venables was the problem in the first place.

Soonerjeepman
10/15/2015, 11:09 AM
I think Bob would rather retire than fire his brother. There's a chance, though, that Mike could be "encouraged" to find another HC job.

yup...

TAFBSooner
10/15/2015, 08:54 PM
The BV ship has sailed. It would be detrimental to his career to take a step back at this point. He's finally out from behind the Stoops shadow, he essentially got demoted when Bob brought Mike back (from sole to co-DC) and now he's proving that he can succeed away from Norman.

:D Mind you, I fully expect Clemp-son to choke like they always do every season, but HEY! Enjoy the ride while it last, Tigers*

*Same with you, Memphis**

**I guess LSU too***

***But not Mizzou. Those Tigers suck****

****And eff Auburn. Those Tigers also suck

Oh HEL L No! Lester's tigers suck worst of all. Fans and coach deserve each other.

aurorasooner
10/15/2015, 11:19 PM
Why would he come back?------I bet he goes to K-State when the Old Man leaves Not unless they throw the bank at him, and it seems like back in '98/'99 the KSU fan base disliked him the most out of that bunch, Mangino, Mike, and BV since he was an alum and bolted anyway and it probably cost them a shot at a NC.
Hell with this realignment nightmare, KSU is in worse recruiting shape than we are and it's time consuming in that you've got to coach them up a ton and certainly can't screw up the Xs/Os and just rely on talent. However there usually isn't any NC/final 4 playoff/conference championship expectations except just once in a blue moon, but you have to remain competitive, destroy KU, and sure have to coach-up the players because that's what their fans are used to.
If I recall R. Prince came in there and it was a disaster. Once Snyder finally hangs it up for good, I bet they promote from within this time to try and continue his magic with lower-rated recruits, walk-ons, JUCOs and the Prep work ethic. Sheesh, I don't know, his assistants may be almost as old as he is now.