PDA

View Full Version : The critical play of the game

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/11/2015, 09:17 PM
Was when Thomas punched the ball out on Swoopes going into the end zone. Parker jumps on the ball and bats it into the corner where it was picked up by Texas.

These are the hustle plays we used to make on Texas (Q scooping up the fumble etc)
There wasn't anyone else even near the ball but 2 Texas guys
One guy was screaming we need more 4 and 5 star guys on the game thread. Parker was a borderline 5* and he bungled this. I say bungled, because I was taught in 9th grade that you never jump on the ball as a defender in your own end zone, its the one place where you try to run with it AND GET IT OUT OF BOUNDS. Heck, we did drills on how to scoop the stupid thing out of bounds without it looking intentional. He jumps on it and then bats into the farthest point of the end zone - any other direction and that is our ball. I used to love our fundamentals, but now I feel like I'm watching De'Mond Parker with OL holding guys when he is past them by 10 yards. ugh
Jordan Thomas might as well not be on the field on a run. On this play, he had the easiest shot at the ball and turned and walked to the sideline. Mike called a decent game but his suckiness in recruiting is starting to rear its ugly head.

Generally speaking, I like what I see out of this team minus the secondary's run support. If we can get the OL sorted out we should be pretty good next year.

Snrinhouston
10/11/2015, 09:23 PM
Was when Thomas punched the ball out on Swoopes going into the end zone. Parker jumps on the ball and bats it into the corner where it was picked up by Texas.

These are the hustle plays we used to make on Texas (Q scooping up the fumble etc)
One guy was screaming we need more 4 and 5 star guys on the game thread. Parker was a borderline 5* and he bungled this. I say bungled, because I was taught in 9th grade that you never jump on the ball as a defender in your own end zone, its the one place where you try to run with it AND GET IT OUT OF BOUNDS. Heck, we did drills on how to scoop the stupid thing out of bounds without it looking intentional. He jumps on it and then bats into the farthest point of the end zone - any other direction and that is our ball. I used to love our fundamentals, but now I feel like I'm watching De'Mond Parker with OL holding guys when he is past them by 10 yards. ugh
Jordan Thomas might as well not be on the field on a run. On this play, he had the easiest shot at the ball and turned and walked to the sideline. Mike called a decent game but his suckiness in recruiting is starting to rear its ugly head.

Generally speaking, I like what I see out of this team minus the secondary's run support. If we can get the OL sorted out we should be pretty good next year.

This was a bad play...but I don't think it was the critical play. Just like Bradley's punt gaffe against SC was a bad play, but not a critical play.

The bad play Saturday was minor compared to four quarters of horrendous OL play and terrible tackling. The bad play in the Orange Bowl was minor compared to 4 quarters of no Dline pressure on Lienart.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/11/2015, 09:28 PM
This was a bad play...but I don't think it was the critical play. Just like Bradley's punt gaffe against SC was a bad play, but not a critical play.

The bad play Saturday was minor compared to four quarters of horrendous OL play and terrible tackling. The bad play in the Orange Bowl was minor compared to 4 quarters of no Dline pressure on Lienart.

You just need to stop.

1. We lost by 7 points. This was the margin of victory. We get that and we crush all of the horns emotion.

2. The bradley gaffe started a string of 4 straight series with turnovers where USC got the ball on our side of the field (or pick 6'd it). WTF was the defense supposed to do?

Snrinhouston
10/11/2015, 09:44 PM
You just need to stop.

1. We lost by 7 points. This was the margin of victory. We get that and we crush all of the horns emotion.

2. The bradley gaffe started a string of 4 straight series with turnovers where USC got the ball on our side of the field (or pick 6'd it). WTF was the defense supposed to do?

Well, it's hard to debate someone who has a solid grasp of the "facts". Pray tell...exactly which USC player had a pick-6 in the 2005 National Championship game?

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/11/2015, 09:55 PM
If we can get the OL sorted out we should be pretty good next year.

Oh my God. We're turning into Pokes.

yermom
10/11/2015, 10:09 PM

i was watching live, so i wasn't sure how that ruling turned out exactly, but it reminded me of the 2005 or 2006 game where AD doesn't chase down a fumble he thinks is an incomplete pass

SMH

they were killing us on the counters. there just wasn't anybody on the right side once they went against the grain, and we were so out of position to make plays so often

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/11/2015, 10:26 PM
Oh my God. We're turning into Pokes.

Unfortunately, offensive lines aren't built in a day or a season. We have good young talent but don't have experience on the line.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/11/2015, 10:35 PM
Well, it's hard to debate someone who has a solid grasp of the "facts". Pray tell...exactly which USC player had a pick-6 in the 2005 National Championship game?

3-14-OK16 (10:06) Jason White was intercepted. Eric Wright returned the interception for 23 yards.
Southern California Trojans at 10:06
1-10-OK10 (9:59) LenDale White rushed for 5 yards.

I thought he returned it for a TD instead of the to 10. Whoops.

4-1-OK46 (0:23) Tom Malone punted for 43 yards. Josh Pinkard recovered a fumble from Mark Bradley and returned it for -3 yards.
1-0-OK6 (0:17) Touchdown. LenDale White rushed for 6 yards.

2-6-USC38 (13:40) Jason White was intercepted. Jason Leach returned the interception for no gain.
Southern California Trojans at 13:40
1-10-USC11 (13:27) Matt Leinart passed incomplete to Dwayne Jarrett.

3-14-OK16 (10:06) Jason White was intercepted. Eric Wright returned the interception for 23 yards.

3 TOs inside of 5 minutes with 2 of them inside our 10 yard line.

Curly Bill
10/11/2015, 10:39 PM
Hey folks! There's always next year!

Hmmmm, doesn't sound very, I don't know....Soonerish to me.

BoulderSooner79
10/11/2015, 10:41 PM
Interesting views on the critical play. I don't think the Swoopes fumble was critical for technical reasons. Even if the replay over-turned the TD, the refs had blown the play dead. You could see refs waving their arms and everyone stopped playing. The horn guy picked up the ball "just in case". My understanding is that if they blew the play dead, then all they could do is give the ball back to the horns at the point of the fumble which would have been the 2 inch line. Now maybe it would then be 4th down (I don't recall), but the odds are very high the horns score anyway. The announcers did say they later changed the scoring to the guy that recovered, but I don't think that would have happened if the explained things to the refs. Regardless, jkm still has a point about the lack of hustle and fundamentals.

I don't think the Bradley fumble was a critical play against SC either. I was watching the line play and they were killing us in the trenches on both sides of the ball. That big RB White was running up the middle for 5 yards before being touched and then dragging guys for 5 more. We couldn't get any pressure on Leinart and had no pray of covering Jared(sp?) and they made Marcus Walker look like the true FR that he was. They had the studs on D to hold AD to 100 yards or less and make JW beat them - and he was playing like a deer in the headlights. It was going to be a brutal night regardless.

To me the critical play was Ross's fumble. By getting up by 14 early, it let the horns protect Heard the entire game. They could just keep running the ball. And when they did pass, Heard could just go with his first read and take it if it was open or just run if it wasn't. Even taking a sack didn't hurt them as long as he didn't fumble. Our best bet was to get them into lots of obvious pass situations and pressure him into a mistake. The scoreboard prevented any pressure until their next to last possession and then they played it safe and correctly felt their defense could hold us. Now there is no guarantee that if Ross doesn't fumble we don't get behind by double digits anyway. I could also go with the 81 yard run when we had them backed up. It was a well executed play and they should have gotten 10 yards out of it, not 81. But I'll go with the earlier play since the entire game could have tilted the other way.

Snrinhouston
10/11/2015, 10:51 PM

I thought he returned it for a TD instead of the to 10. Whoops.

4-1-OK46 (0:23) Tom Malone punted for 43 yards. Josh Pinkard recovered a fumble from Mark Bradley and returned it for -3 yards.
1-0-OK6 (0:17) Touchdown. LenDale White rushed for 6 yards.

2-6-USC38 (13:40) Jason White was intercepted. Jason Leach returned the interception for no gain.
Southern California Trojans at 13:40
1-10-USC11 (13:27) Matt Leinart passed incomplete to Dwayne Jarrett.

3 TOs inside of 5 minutes with 2 of them inside our 10 yard line.

And how were the Leach and Wright INTs caused by Bradley's fumble?...as opposed to the OL being unable to block Damon Patterson , et al?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/11/2015, 11:12 PM
Interesting views on the critical play. I don't think the Swoopes fumble was critical for technical reasons. Even if the replay over-turned the TD, the refs had blown the play dead. You could see refs waving their arms and everyone stopped playing. The horn guy picked up the ball "just in case". My understanding is that if they blew the play dead, then all they could do is give the ball back to the horns at the point of the fumble which would have been the 2 inch line. Now maybe it would then be 4th down (I don't recall), but the odds are very high the horns score anyway. The announcers did say they later changed the scoring to the guy that recovered, but I don't think that would have happened if the explained things to the refs. Regardless, jkm still has a point about the lack of hustle and fundamentals..

Replay this year allows for a play that is ruled a fumble by replay to go to the defensive team if they clearly recover it (or if it goes out of back of the end zone). In the broadcast, the replay booth said they'd credit the horn who recovered it with the TD after the game. The ball would have been ours either way and that would have totally wiped out the Ross fumble.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/11/2015, 11:16 PM
Hey folks! There's always next year!

Hmmmm, doesn't sound very, I don't know....Soonerish to me.

Our OL is pretty bad. And since no one on this board ever levels any criticism at Bedenbaugh, you just have to hope that recruiting overcomes his lack of development.

Snrinhouston
10/12/2015, 12:20 AM
Our OL is pretty bad. And since no one on this board ever levels any criticism at Bedenbaugh, you just have to hope that recruiting overcomes his lack of development.

You are incredible!

You give a pass to the head coach who has been at OU for 16 seasons...yet you criticize a coach who is only in his second year on the job...and who lost half his inherited starters last year.

Why not let him get a few of his own recruiting classes to upperclassman status before critiquing him?

Geez, and some on this board think I am a troll.

BoulderSooner79
10/12/2015, 01:28 AM
Replay this year allows for a play that is ruled a fumble by replay to go to the defensive team if they clearly recover it (or if it goes out of back of the end zone). In the broadcast, the replay booth said they'd credit the horn who recovered it with the TD after the game. The ball would have been ours either way and that would have totally wiped out the Ross fumble.

Could be, but I thought there was language to cover players stopping play. Something about "immediate recovery". You could tell the players let up and Parker didn't even bother trying to get up when it slip through his hands. I also don't think it was inconclusive that it was a fumble - I certainly would have stuck with the call on the field either way. But had that been a turn-over, obviously would have been a huge play. I was much more upset with the Sanchez INT that was disallowed. I thought he played it perfectly and barely touched the guys hip. Certainly our lack of forcing TOs combined with the Ross giveaway is a telling stat. I'm confident we would have forced Heard into a couple of turn overs if we had established a lead or even a close deficit. The double digit lead they had for much of the game allowed him to keep it simple.

BoulderSooner79
10/12/2015, 01:39 AM

I don't know anything about coaching the OL, so I've just assumed the praise for Bedenbaugh is based on some knowledge. But I watch a lot of college football and see many teams with young OLs and certainly lower rated recruits that play better. Maybe we just have the perfect storm of a group that isn't gelling together, don't respond to this coach, didn't develop as projected, wrong offense, etc. But it's hard not to look at coaching. Look at the apparent turnaround at Michigan and Florida in the first half of this year and it's astounding what a difference a coach can make using the existing players.

dwarthog
10/12/2015, 06:41 AM
I don't know anything about coaching the OL, so I've just assumed the praise for Bedenbaugh is based on some knowledge. But I watch a lot of college football and see many teams with young OLs and certainly lower rated recruits that play better. Maybe we just have the perfect storm of a group that isn't gelling together, don't respond to this coach, didn't develop as projected, wrong offense, etc. But it's hard not to look at coaching. Look at the apparent turnaround at Michigan and Florida in the first half of this year and it's astounding what a difference a coach can make using the existing players.

You've encapsulated my concerns nicely with this post.

Add KSU to the list, a team that does it with walkons.

Something just ain't adding up.

Boomer.....
10/12/2015, 08:13 AM
I'm not sure why they reviewed that play since they retained possession.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/12/2015, 09:20 AM
You are incredible!

You give a pass to the head coach who has been at OU for 16 seasons...yet you criticize a coach who is only in his second year on the job...and who lost half his inherited starters last year.

Why not let him get a few of his own recruiting classes to upperclassman status before critiquing him?

Geez, and some on this board think I am a troll.

Bedenbaugh came here in 2013. That means we are in his 3rd year as a coach. We have on our roster 5 non-walkon interior linemen (2 OC, 3 G) with 2 of them being seniors and exactly 1 freshman.

You want to explain to me how a guy can have 3 recruiting classes and we be that thin?

Snrinhouston
10/12/2015, 09:38 AM
Bedenbaugh came here in 2013. That means we are in his 3rd year as a coach. We have on our roster 5 non-walkon interior linemen (2 OC, 3 G) with 2 of them being seniors and exactly 1 freshman.

You want to explain to me how a guy can have 3 recruiting classes and we be that thin?

Sure, right after you explain to me how a guy hired in Feb 2013 could have had THREE recruiting classes at OU.

Pride1Mom
10/12/2015, 10:07 AM
OU fired the wrong coach!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/12/2015, 10:13 AM

Sure, right after you explain to me how a guy hired in Feb 2013 could have had THREE recruiting classes at OU.

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that he okayed the 2013 recruits. Why giving him the benefit of the doubt? Because that means that he has exactly 1 interior OL on campus that he recruited in 2 years. You want to know why the middle of our OL sucks? because we have no other options. Of course, we have 7 tackles on campus and they are pretty bad too.

FaninAma
10/12/2015, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=Snrinhouston;5031670]

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that he okayed the 2013 recruits. Why giving him the benefit of the doubt? Because that means that he has exactly 1 interior OL on campus that he recruited in 2 years. You want to know why the middle of our OL sucks? because we have no other options. Of course, we have 7 tackles on campus and they are pretty bad too.

I bet this fact wouldn't have escaped Saban's, Mile's or Meyer's attention. I bet it wouldn't have escaped Snyder's attention, either. He would have gone out and plugged the gaping hole with a couple of decent JUCOs. I bet KSU beats Texas this year becuase Snyder will gameplan around Texas' weaknesses and exploit them.....something our coaches seem incapable of doing.

So which Big 12 teams have a worse OL than OU? Kansas and who else? Why did OU find themselves in this position?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/12/2015, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=jkm, the stolen pifwafwi;5031685]

I bet this fact wouldn't have escaped Saban's, Mile's or Meyer's attention. I bet it wouldn't have escaped Snyder's attention, either. He would have gone out and plugged the gaping hole with a couple of decent JUCOs. I bet KSU beats Texas this year becuase Snyder will gameplan around Texas' weaknesses and exploit them.....something our coaches seem incapable of doing.

So which Big 12 teams have a worse OL than OU? Kansas and who else? Why did OU find themselves in this position?

We've been over this. Every time we hire a new coach their first 2 recruiting classes are garbage.

FaninAma
10/12/2015, 10:37 AM
[QUOTE=FaninAma;5031689]

We've been over this. Every time we hire a new coach their first 2 recruiting classes are garbage.

But Bob had no oversight of the OL recruting? How about his OC and co-OC? I think there are some positives to a hands-off approach by the head coach of a program but this is ridiculous.

aurorasooner
10/12/2015, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=Snrinhouston;5031670]

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that he okayed the 2013 recruits. Why giving him the benefit of the doubt? Because that means that he has exactly 1 interior OL on campus that he recruited in 2 years. You want to know why the middle of our OL sucks? because we have no other options. Of course, we have 7 tackles on campus and they are pretty bad too. That's depressing that we have 7 Offensive tackles on scholly and they suck worse than that bunch did last Saturday. Gawd, I haven't seen a major CFB OL get beaten that badly in a rivalry game ever. Those guys should be blocking for some intramural team and not some major CFB team.
I don't know what the transfer rules are with D-II teams (or whatever those S. Dakota St -type teams are called now) but if their OL players don't have to sit a year, then we should offer to trade the whole bunch and throw in some cash.
If this is truly the case, then yes, our OL line coach should be getting a lot of heat.

dwarthog
10/12/2015, 11:43 AM

So if Bedenbaugh were to get run out of town, then we would be looking at a potential 4 year span of garbage o-line recruiting classes.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/12/2015, 12:06 PM
So if Bedenbaugh were to get run out of town, then we would be looking at a potential 4 year span of garbage o-line recruiting classes.

Bedenbaugh reminds me a lot of Mangino - remember 2001 when we had like 6 scholarship OL? We've gotten used to having quite a bit of depth under Patton since he took his quota every year.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/12/2015, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=jkm, the stolen pifwafwi;5031700]

But Bob had no oversight of the OL recruting? How about his OC and co-OC? I think there are some positives to a hands-off approach by the head coach of a program but this is ridiculous.

It depends. If you hire someone new do you trust their judgement or do you start the process by questioning it? Bob tends to be the trusting type at the beginning.

cvsooner
10/12/2015, 12:28 PM
I didn't see the TD carry/fumble as that critical a play, at least on first thought. I thought the fumble on the kickoff was bigger, and it was a legitimate takeaway. Hard to fault Ross on it. Good play by their D.

Bigger factors for me were having our D continually overpursue--get us going one way and the ball goes the other. It mostly got better in the second half, but still. Also still smarting on the lack of effort on the Johnson touchdown run. How many opportunities to make that play? Too many....and the non-called facemask penalty on the ball carrier at the beginning of the run (he just grabs Thomas' facemask and pushes him away...that should have been a penalty). The trumped up PI call on Sanchez on the interception. I couldn't believe that got called.

Terrible tackling.

Texas' receivers hold like crazy, not to mention several times that unsportsmanlike penalties should have been called.

The D letting Texas control the ball for nearly half the third quarter...then having them backed up at the ten down by only a TD, only to give up that 81 yard run. Our O line's issues....and running backs who don't appear to have any clue on how to pick up a blitz. Plus Riley went away from the running game too much for my taste. I thought we ran the ball reasonably well but didn't exploit it enough.

Rivalry game...crazy things happen. I'm not happy about it but the rest of the season lays ahead.

hawaii 5-0
10/12/2015, 12:57 PM
Yeah the offensive (literally) line sucked and the defense couldn't catch a running QB who they knew was gonna run.

To me the critical play was the fumble on the kickoff. A hole that just got deeper.

5-0

FlatLander
10/12/2015, 01:08 PM
Yeah the offensive (literally) line sucked and the defense couldn't catch a running QB who they knew was gonna run.

To me the critical play was the fumble on the kickoff. A hole that just got deeper.

5-0

The fumble on the kicke return was my game changer also.

Soonerjeepman
10/12/2015, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=FaninAma;5031689]

that means 2 things...
#1 Bob isn't involved like he should be. I love the fact his family is important to him...that's great. Then A. don't demand a high salary knowing you won't put the time in you should B. Expect the results you get.
#2 His hires aren't doing their job. Which ultimately is his job.

cvsooner
10/12/2015, 01:30 PM
I could not fathom our inability to stop what was essentially a grade school offense. QB run right, line block left, or vice versa. To be fair, we did stop it a number of times, but not enough. We set up to defend a passing attack, or worried too much about passing ability. On defense, we allowed them to use our strengths against us (speed on D) as well as capitalizing on weaknesses (poor tackling/lack of effort).

I don't know about offense problem, though I'm sure it all stems from not-so-good or at least terribly inconsistent line play. Running backs are failing to pick up blitzes (due to Cale Gundy's shift from RB coach to wideouts, maybe?), Darlington is playing hurt--plus while he seems to have a great football mind he doesn't have the physical tools to accomplish them--and several seniors who while they don't lack experience are not adapting well to a new offensive system.

I dunno. This is a nut-check moment for this group and the program. When they play as well as they can, they're really good, but we've got to play better. And, oh, look, we're going up against another running QB who can actually throw it a little. Yikes.

cvsooner
10/12/2015, 01:35 PM
One more thing: I happen to have watched most of the Cal-Texas game and much of the OSewe-Texas game and I'll say this: I was worried about playing this team. Yeah, they got clobbered by a very good TCU team and a pre-injuries ND team, but they were dangerous in the second half against Cal and only a couple of special teams screwups kept them from sending both of those games into overtime.

Sports journalism sure overhypes a lot of this stuff though. I didn't and don't see Texas as being the 'dumpster fire' that ESPN and the like were reporting, and I honestly expected a close game. The troubling part for me is this was the third year in a row the Sooners showed up and our first quarter slow start just killed us. Got to do better than that.

BoulderSooner79
10/12/2015, 01:52 PM
One more thing: I happen to have watched most of the Cal-Texas game and much of the OSewe-Texas game and I'll say this: I was worried about playing this team. Yeah, they got clobbered by a very good TCU team and a pre-injuries ND team, but they were dangerous in the second half against Cal and only a couple of special teams screwups kept them from sending both of those games into overtime.

Sports journalism sure overhypes a lot of this stuff though. I didn't and don't see Texas as being the 'dumpster fire' that ESPN and the like were reporting, and I honestly expected a close game. The troubling part for me is this was the third year in a row the Sooners showed up and our first quarter slow start just killed us. Got to do better than that.

^This 1000x over. I know it's easy to look in retrospect, but all the information was there pre-game. Just imagine we had played the horns schedule and what do you think our record would be? ND and TCU would have handled us too. We would have beaten Rice. So that leaves Cal and OSU and as cvsooner points out, should have gone to OT. No bets that the horns win them in OT, but the point being that they played those 2 teams evenly for 60 minutes. How would we have done? I think about the same - evenly with the winner determined by a few key plays. Bottom line is that both OU and UT are just slightly above average teams that make too many mistakes. I think the talent level is similar, but distributed differently to various positions. It looked to be a fairly even game with the outcome determined by a few key plays. Almost all the key players went the horn's way, especially early when they got the lead. We still could have won, but it was never destined to be an easy rout of this supposed "dumpster fire".

cvsooner
10/12/2015, 02:00 PM
Nope, and never underestimate a 20 year old kid's ability to surprise you by outperforming or letting you down. For six weeks or longer, the UT kids have been hearing how lousy they play and the mistakes they make and the coach is going to get canned and so on. Same thing happened in 2013.

Same outcome, too. And the same reaction in all quarters.

SoonerorLater
10/12/2015, 02:44 PM
that means 2 things...
#1 Bob isn't involved like he should be. I love the fact his family is important to him...that's great. Then A. don't demand a high salary knowing you won't put the time in you should B. Expect the results you get.
#2 His hires aren't doing their job. Which ultimately is his job.

And making sure Stoops does his job is the Athletic Director's job, who reports to the President of the University, who is hired by the Board of Regents, that is appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the state senate who are elected by the citizens of Oklahoma, of which I am one. I say Bob stays.

Curly Bill
10/12/2015, 02:48 PM
Apologists out in some force today. Salute mediocrity eh fellas?!

badger
10/12/2015, 02:59 PM
Apologists out in some force today. Salute mediocrity eh fellas?!

While Saturday was a setback, it's not the end of our season. We can still be Big 12's "One* True Champion" if we win out :P

*The Big 12 may crown more than one true champion

FaninAma
10/12/2015, 03:00 PM
And making sure Stoops does his job is the Athletic Director's job, who reports to the President of the University, who is hired by the Board of Regents, that is appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the state senate who are elected by the citizens of Oklahoma, of which I am one. I say Bob stays.

LOL. I can't argue with your logic. I think Stoops gets one more year even if this year ends up like last year. But at some point there has to be some accountability from the CEO of the program. It's not that we lost one game...it's who we lost to and the circumstances surrounding the loss that have upset so many.

Until Stoops quits losing to so many double digit underdogs I refuse to make a financial commitment to the program and I will keep on working on ending my emotional commitment to the program.

TAFBSooner
10/13/2015, 03:13 PM
LOL. . . .and I will keep on working on ending my emotional commitment to the program.

I understand that. I've been through a similar process, only I would have to discuss it on the politics forum. But not today.

cvsooner
10/14/2015, 12:58 AM
I actually just finished watching the actual game. I should not be surprised at the uncalled penalties but my goodness: Texas got away with a ton of holding, as well as a horse collar tackle, two face mask penalties and a late hit on Mayfield. One of the face masks is on the 24 yard touchdown. On the 81 yard run at the end of the third quarter, Jordan Evans gets more or less tackled instead of blocked. I almost wish we'd have had that crew that was calling everything a couple of weeks ago.

FlatLander
10/14/2015, 07:47 AM
I actually just finished watching the actual game. I should not be surprised at the uncalled penalties but my goodness: Texas got away with a ton of holding, as well as a horse collar tackle, two face mask penalties and a late hit on the Mayfield. One of the face masks is on the 24 yard Touchdown. On the 81 yard run at the end of the third quarter, Jordan Evans gets more or less tackled instead of blocked. I almost wish we'd have had that crew that was calling everything a couple of weeks ago.

During the 81 yard run I saw Evans get wrapped up also and said, "Oh well this one is coming back". But then I was quickly screaming WTF!!

PujolsFan
10/14/2015, 07:53 AM
I actually just finished watching the actual game. I should not be surprised at the uncalled penalties but my goodness: Texas got away with a ton of holding, as well as a horse collar tackle, two face mask penalties and a late hit on the Mayfield. One of the face masks is on the 24 yard Touchdown. On the 81 yard run at the end of the third quarter, Jordan Evans gets more or less tackled instead of blocked. I almost wish we'd have had that crew that was calling everything a couple of weeks ago.

I'm pretty sure the Play by Play announcers said the same thing... then NO flag. :\ I know people say that 1 penalty doesn't loose a game but it sure can loose a game in a close one, especially if it's a major play for a TD or an 81 yard gain that killed OU's momentum.

BoulderSooner79
10/14/2015, 10:03 AM
Horse collar does not apply to a QB in the pocket, if you are referring to the one on Mayfield. Also, grabbing by the "horse collar" is not a penalty per say - a defender must complete the tackle that way to draw the flag. If it is grabbed and let go like the Mayfield case, it is not a foul (unlike a facemask). If you are talking about a different horse collar tackle, never mind. :P

cvsooner
10/14/2015, 11:00 AM
Horse collar does not apply to a QB in the pocket, if you are referring to the one on Mayfield. Also, grabbing by the "horse collar" is not a penalty per say - a defender must complete the tackle that way to draw the flag. If it is grabbed and let go like the Mayfield case, it is not a foul (unlike a facemask). If you are talking about a different horse collar tackle, never mind. :P

No, that was the one. The rule doesn't make sense to me. It's akin to the face mask rule as far as I'm concerned, but whatever. What's done is done. Awful officiating from Big 12 officials in Dallas at the Cotton Bowl--who'd ever believe that?!

BoulderSooner79
10/14/2015, 11:19 AM
I actually think the horse collar foul makes more sense than the facemask foul. It's a safety rule and it is not dangerous to grab a player inside the jersey. It is dangerous to twist him down to the turf awkwardly which can break legs and ankles. I'm not sure why they exempt QBs in the pocket and that could just be in the NFL.

OUmillenium
10/14/2015, 11:30 AM
LOL. I can't argue with your logic. I think Stoops gets one more year even if this year ends up like last year. But at some point there has to be some accountability from the CEO of the program. It's not that we lost one game...it's who we lost to and the circumstances surrounding the loss that have upset so many.

Until Stoops quits losing to so many double digit underdogs I refuse to make a financial commitment to the program and I will keep on working on ending my emotional commitment to the program.

This. Havent had season tix since 2007