PDA

View Full Version : Looking Ahead

Sooner70
10/11/2015, 08:56 AM
Dangit. I hate living & working in Texas when the Whorns win. I can look forward to a decorated cube tomorrow morning. Bevo will be there waiting for me.

Anyway, I'm not a Sky is Falling fan, but I'm seeing where OU could well end up with another 8-4 regular season.. I'm thinking maybe beat TT, Kansas, Iowa State and somehow eke out a victory against OSU, but they've got OT Cowboy Magic going for them, so don't know. Regardless of how many wins, losses to Texas and OSU the same year means a suck season. Well, I guess not so sucky if could pull off something against TCU, Baylor, but that's looking like a mighty mountain to climb.

graphster
10/11/2015, 09:06 AM
It's gonna take a hell of a game to beat K-State next week. They basically ran the ball down TCU's throat like Texas did against us, but have a competent passing game to go along with it.

If we lose that game, there's a chance that things get really ugly. If we win, then it's possible that OU manages to get on a run and then pull an upset on TCU or Baylor to save the season.

This is where we are as a program. Forget the conference or national championships. Our best case scenario is to hold things to two losses, which will probably take a lot of "Sooner Magic" to accomplish.

dwarthog
10/11/2015, 09:31 AM
Both sides of the line are going to have to step up if we have any hope. It would appear we are in a lot worse shape than we had hoped. Lots of bailing twine and duct tape keeping things from falling completely apart.

Somewhat ironical given that we viewed Texas as being a dumpster fire prior to yesterday.

Okie35
10/11/2015, 12:20 PM
We will beat KSU for some reason we usually do at their place. If it was at home I'd be worried. I've said it before I'll say it again we don't care about Texas anymore and it shows.

Okie35
10/11/2015, 12:21 PM
It's gonna take a hell of a game to beat K-State next week. They basically ran the ball down TCU's throat like Texas did against us, but have a competent passing game to go along with it.

If we lose that game, there's a chance that things get really ugly. If we win, then it's possible that OU manages to get on a run and then pull an upset on TCU or Baylor to save the season.

This is where we are as a program. Forget the conference or national championships. Our best case scenario is to hold things to two losses, which will probably take a lot of "Sooner Magic" to accomplish.

We only have 1 loss. I did predict a 2 loss season but depending on how we respond you never know. We will beat KSU if we stick to the run EARLY.

dwarthog
10/11/2015, 12:59 PM
We only have 1 loss. I did predict a 2 loss season but depending on how we respond you never know. We will beat KSU if we stick to the run EARLY.

We have a horrible tendency to get behind the chains right out of the gate and that blows any chance of really getting the run game going. That and the line is so bad we can't get more than a yard or two, if we do get back to the line of scrimmage.

SoonerorLater
10/11/2015, 01:07 PM
With our O-line anything is possible but I'm not sure that KSU has the horses to blow us up with a 4 man rush.

BoulderSooner79
10/11/2015, 01:26 PM
You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say when you lose.

I think that one was attributed to Lou Holtz and I thought about one before the game this week. I knew the horns were not as bad as the beat down from TCU would indicate, so I tried to look at it more realistically. The horns were beaten soundly by a (pre-injury) ND and TCU teams. They were on the verge of OT against decent Cal and OSU teams. So the question for us was is OU on par with the top 2 squads that won easily or the decent squads that played the horns evenly? Yesterday answered that pretty soundly that OUr guys are more like the latter. Yes, we lost because we got down early and tilted the game to the horns advantage, but it could have easily gone the other way. But there is no way we were going to dominate them and prove to be in the league of the top teams. So looking ahead, I see tough games against almost everyone except KU and ISU (and who knows about ISU?). BU and TCU look like a bridge too far - especially if TCU gets some of their injured defensive players back as predicted. Going to be a tough seasons for those that don't like tight games.

Snrinhouston
10/11/2015, 04:45 PM
The best thing that can happen for the long term good of the program is to lose five more regular season games.

BoulderSooner79
10/11/2015, 04:47 PM
The best thing that can happen for the long term good of the program is to lose five more regular season games.

Ah, the 'ol scorched earth theory. Not gonna happen.

Snrinhouston
10/11/2015, 04:52 PM
Ah, the 'ol scorched earth theory. Not gonna happen.

You think the OL is magically gonna get better? The tackling will suddenly improve? Our undersized DL will play bigger than it is?

BoulderSooner79
10/11/2015, 04:55 PM
You think the OL is magically gonna get better? The tackling will suddenly improve? Our undersized DL will play bigger than it is?

No. I just don't think we'll lose 5 more games out of the next 7. Lots of flaws in those other teams too.

FlatLander
10/11/2015, 05:23 PM

It will have to be sweeps or options to the edge. It is very rare we get more than a yard between the tackles.

FlatLander
10/11/2015, 05:26 PM
With our O-line anything is possible but I'm not sure that KSU has the horses to blow us up with a 4 man rush.

Yep, the recipe has been written. Wv started it and now it is out there for other teams to follow. For some reason the last few years we do not seem to get better as the season goes on. The problems that existed saturday were there against akron.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/11/2015, 09:01 PM

I thought we'd make it to 10 wins, but that depended on us having an even turnover margin. You take out the WV game and we are dead last in the nation in turnover margin. We continue to go -2 per game in turnovers and we are going to struggle to 8 wins.

OUmillenium
10/11/2015, 10:19 PM
Thats a huge stat^