PDA

View Full Version : Who needs more evidence?

Snrinhouston
10/10/2015, 03:22 PM
That Bob Stoops can no longer compete for national championships.

For the 7th year in a row, OU has been eliminated from contention before November 1.

Castiglione and Boren should be embarrassed by the team that wore OU jerseys today at the Cotton Bowl

Since71ASooner4Life
10/10/2015, 03:30 PM
National Championships? I'm hearing Jim Mora! We cant even compete with the top tier of our conference - not recruiting, and not on the field

Since71ASooner4Life
10/10/2015, 03:33 PM
National Championships? I'm hearing Jim Mora! We cant even compete with the top tier of our conference - not recruiting, and not on the field

I take that back about the recruiting. Baylor and TCU actually have a higher percentage of 2 stars and 3 starts than us. But they do humiliate us on the field with that inferior talent

Mookie91
10/10/2015, 03:35 PM
Fire Stoops for who? The next Charlie Strong? The problem with firing a head coach that is typically in the top 15 is you may get what you ask for.

nanimonai
10/10/2015, 03:37 PM
I wasn't realistically expecting a NC run this year. We obviously weren't on the same level as the top tier teams but I did expect or at least hope that we had some of that fire and attitude of Stoops' early year back and could set up for a run in the next year or two. I don't know why I thought but I did. ...but it's the same old thing yet again.

What reason did this team even have to be complacent and arrogant? They didn't play all that well against Akron for a half, played John Blake style hot garbage for 3 quarters against Tennessee and really won that more from their choke job. Tulsa gave us everything we wanted. West Virginia was a nice game but that's about it. No reason whatsoever to not be fired up for Texas.

Mookie91
10/10/2015, 03:39 PM
I wasn't realistically expecting a NC run this year. We obviously weren't on the same level as the top tier teams but I did expect or at least hope that we had some of that fire and attitude of Stoops' early year back and could set up for a run in the next year or two. I don't know why I thought but I did. ...but it's the same old thing yet again.

What reason did this team even have to be complacent and arrogant? They didn't play all that well against Akron for a half, played John Blake style hot garbage for 3 quarters against Tennessee and really won that more from their choke job. Tulsa gave us everything we wanted. West Virginia was a nice game but that's about it. No reason whatsoever to not be fired up for Texas.

Sometimes kids play bad. The Offensive and Defensive line have been average to below average all year long.

Snrinhouston
10/10/2015, 03:51 PM
Fire Stoops for who? The next Charlie Strong? The problem with firing a head coach that is typically in the top 15 is you may get what you ask for.

This type of reasoning is so tiring. Castiglione makes 7 digits a year. It's his job to know the answer to this question. His job to have a short list of the up and coming assistant coaches.

East Coast Bias
10/10/2015, 03:53 PM
Expectations are too high. Oklahoma is not an elite team anymore, even though the media often views us that way. We get credit for the team's football history and reputation yet the play on the field is not there. We are a solid second-tier team and should be able to compete with other teams on that level. We all need to throttle back our expectations and recognize we have a lot of work to do to get back to elite status. The line-play on both sides of the ball is totally horrendous.

Mookie91
10/10/2015, 03:55 PM
This type of reasoning is so tiring. Castiglione makes 7 digits a year. It's his job to know the answer to this question. His job to have a short list of the up and coming assistant coaches.

Maybe he does and Stoops is better than anyone on that list. If the reasoning is, "give it to the young hungry guy who wins at Northeast Texas A & Q Tech because he scores points", look at the "air-raid" we are running this year with the genius of an offensive coordinator.

At the end of the day young men have to put in the pads and do their job. In OU's case the talent isn't there.

East Coast Bias
10/10/2015, 04:06 PM
Maybe he does and Stoops is better than anyone on that list. If the reasoning is, "give it to the young hungry guy who wins at Northeast Texas A & Q Tech because he scores points", look at the "air-raid" we are running this year with the genius of an offensive coordinator.

At the end of the day young men have to put in the pads and do their job. In OU's case the talent isn't there.

I agree with this. Not sure Stoops and staff are really the problem. Our talent is not great. We have all drank the koolaid on how great these guys are, like Mixon, Westbrook, Byrd, etc., but how good are they? I think Shepard, Perrine and Striker are elite, everyone else second-level.. We have to find a way to get some better lineman. Remember when we used to have the Tommie Harris, Gerald McCoy, Trent Williams types? Now they go to the SEC teams....

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2015, 04:12 PM
I need more evidence. 8-10 more years and I'll be convinced.

graphster
10/10/2015, 04:14 PM
I don't think it's a matter of motivation. I think we're just not that good. The fourth quarter and overtime of Tennessee game fooled a lot of people. Now we have learned that Tennessee isn't even that good either.

Offensively, we are OK at the skill positions (Perine, Mixon, and Shepard), are terrible on the offensive line, and have a quarterback who makes some gutsy plays but also takes a ton of unnecessary sacks by trying to scramble too much rather than standing tall in the pocket and throwing the ball accurately and on time. This offense is probably better than last year's, but not by much, and has yet to execute consistently for an entire game.

Defensively, we are mediocre in terms of athleticism across the board. We are undersized at several positions, inexperienced at others, and simply not very good at some.

We are just not that good. It's not playcalling or schemes, it's the fact that we don't have the players. It will be a dogfight against KState, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State, and we'll need to play perfect games against both Baylor and TCU to not get blown out.

Curly Bill
10/10/2015, 04:29 PM
If the talent isn't there as some of you suggest, and I don't disagree by the way, whose fault is that?

Is that not also Stoops' fault? I suggest that it is, and in large part stemming from the reality that whatever he once had in competing for national championships and/or being near the top of the college football world, is long gone, and what top recruit would want to play for a program that is visibly on the decline.

Okie35
10/10/2015, 04:35 PM
I don't think it's a matter of motivation. I think we're just not that good. The fourth quarter and overtime of Tennessee game fooled a lot of people. Now we have learned that Tennessee isn't even that good either.

Offensively, we are OK at the skill positions (Perine, Mixon, and Shepard), are terrible on the offensive line, and have a quarterback who makes some gutsy plays but also takes a ton of unnecessary sacks by trying to scramble too much rather than standing tall in the pocket and throwing the ball accurately and on time. This offense is probably better than last year's, but not by much, and has yet to execute consistently for an entire game.

Defensively, we are mediocre in terms of athleticism across the board. We are undersized at several positions, inexperienced at others, and simply not very good at some.

We are just not that good. It's not playcalling or schemes, it's the fact that we don't have the players. It will be a dogfight against KState, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State, and we'll need to play perfect games against both Baylor and TCU to not get blown out.

We will beat TCU and it's not about him holding the ball it was coverage sacks.. And the oline is bad. We should've stuck with the run from the beginning but we didn't. I don't know if Lincoln is familiar with the rivalry but whoever runs for the most yards usually wins 90% of the time. Where was Andrews too?!

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2015, 04:45 PM
I think the ability to pull talent to Norman has faded since Stoops first arrived. Some reasons are external such as the greater emergence of the SEC and the change in the teams that make up the conference. But there are internal reasons too - such as lazy recruiting coaches being allowed to stay around too long. I think the O-line in particular is hurting because of that. Stoops falling in love with duel threat QBs after having a lead-footed LJ for 4 years hurt us there. I'll take a big QB with a quick delivery any day vs. a duel threat (but that's just me).

So yeah, ultimately it's the HC responsible. I don't think we could ever compete with the 'Bama, USC or FSU at the very top of the recruiting list. But we consistently rate higher than anyone in the conference outside of the horns and we are not reflecting that on the field. And I do think we could improve recruiting too.

graphster
10/10/2015, 04:50 PM
TCU beat the team we just lost to 50-7. Not sure how anybody can be confident about that game.

Bottom line as a QB is that you can't take sacks like Baker did. At the very least there should always be a checkdown to throw to, or you should get rid of the ball and take an incompletion. Sacks put you behind the chains and completely destroy the options available to the playcaller. There were several times when he had more time to find a receiver and instead he panicked and tried to run. On the possession where we scored a field goal, he also missed Mixon, who was wide open in the flats on both second and third down, and instead tried to fit the ball in there on slants to Shepard and Westbrook. Again, he makes some gutsy throws and plays, but is not consistent, which is part of the reason (combined with WR drops and poor OL play) that our offense has been up and down all year.

Mookie91
10/10/2015, 04:52 PM
I think the ability to pull talent to Norman has faded since Stoops first arrived. Some reasons are external such as the greater emergence of the SEC and the change in the teams that make up the conference. But there are internal reasons too - such as lazy recruiting coaches being allowed to stay around too long. I think the O-line in particular is hurting because of that. Stoops falling in love with duel threat QBs after having a lead-footed LJ for 4 years hurt us there. I'll take a big QB with a quick delivery any day vs. a duel threat (but that's just me).

So yeah, ultimately it's the HC responsible. I don't think we could ever compete with the 'Bama, USC or FSU at the very top of the recruiting list. But we consistently rate higher than anyone in the conference outside of the horns and we are not reflecting that on the field. And I do think we could improve recruiting too.

If you were a Texas high school senior last year or this year and you were offered TCU, Baylor or OU you'd have a real decision to make and you couldn't say that 10 years ago.

FaninAma
10/10/2015, 04:53 PM
Losing to your rivals, especially when they suck, is a good way to lose the fanbase.

Okie35
10/10/2015, 04:55 PM

Depends on what we run. In an air raid I'd rather have a dual threat. Why are you guys acting like its on the QB though?! We weren't committed to the run that's why we lost.. Hell the first series Perine got 5 yards and then we started throwing. Why?! Anyway who cares... Apparently the players aren't up for Texas anymore. Ppl say we have no talent but we do. That's idiotic to say. It's really the gameplay sometimes. Where was Andrews? Even for blocking on the edge. Remember when we would line up two tight ends?! I think we thought we could just put the players out there and win lol it's funny

Okie35
10/10/2015, 05:04 PM
Losing to your rivals, especially when they suck, is a good way to lose the fanbase.

Well bye fans don't let the door hit you when you leave

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2015, 05:04 PM
Every one sees what they want to see. I don't think being more committed to the run was going to make a huge difference in this game. We had a bunch of runs for 0-1 yards and that was certainly going to continue. But I do agree be needed to play a lot more "small-ball". That could be a little more running along with more of the short passing game. It's boring, but that's about all you can do if the D-line is out playing your O-line to that extend. But there is no way in hell we could have controlled the game with the run or even moved the sticks very often. But it was clear in the 1st qtr that BM was not going to have time for slow developing routes.

graphster
10/10/2015, 05:11 PM
I mean, we called at least 5 or 6 WR screens. We dropped one on the first possession, and I don't think any of the others gained more than 5 or 6 yards.

Andrews is a glorified WR. He is not a good blocker. We don't have a good blocking TE or FB, which is evident when we get inside the 10 and need to run the ball with power.

We called several run plays that should have broken for big gains, but were blocked poorly. It's also hard to establish the running game when you are constantly behind the chains due to sacks and incompletions, and when you aren't picking up first downs to keep the drive alive. And then you get behind in the game and need to score points in a hurry. Playcalling is not the problem on offense. Execution is.

Okie35
10/10/2015, 05:15 PM
Every one sees what they want to see. I don't think being more committed to the run was going to make a huge difference in this game. We had a bunch of runs for 0-1 yards and that was certainly going to continue. But I do agree be needed to play a lot more "small-ball". That could be a little more running along with more of the short passing game. It's boring, but that's about all you can do if the D-line is out playing your O-line to that extend. But there is no way in hell we could have controlled the game with the run or even moved the sticks very often. But it was clear in the 1st qtr that BM was not going to have time for slow developing routes.

In the beginning yes it would've. The main reason why we came back against Tennessee we ran the ball more in the 2nd half and tired them out. If you get 5 yards on Perine's first carry why would you throw like 8 straight passes after?! You are right about small ball though, quick passes would've helped. Slants where they blitzed when they weren't in zone blitzes and more swing passes(they were open)

OU Adonis
10/10/2015, 05:17 PM
In the beginning yes it would've. The main reason why we came back against Tennessee we ran the ball more in the 2nd half and tired them out. If you get 5 yards on Perine's first carry why would you throw like 8 straight passes after?!

Because our offensive philosophy doesn't call for that mentality.

Okie35
10/10/2015, 05:19 PM
Because our offensive philosophy doesn't call for that mentality.

I know but Lincoln Riley should know we have to be balanced, especially in this game. There's a reason why Baylor and TCU are successful. They run and pass.

graphster
10/10/2015, 05:22 PM
Perine ran for 5 yards on the second possession. The next play they called a reverse, which got hit for a loss of 3. Now it's 3rd and 8, and you have to pass.

Second possession, OU ran Perine on first and second down, threw a PA pass on third and short (picked up 12 on 3rd and 2). OU ran Perine on 1st and 10 and got 1 yard. Now it's second and 9. Mayfield takes a sack, and it's third and long.

Next possession, OU throws on first down (gains 9), calls a read option on second down (picks up a first). 1st and 10 we false start, so now it's 1st and 15. Pass to Mixon for 1 yard on first down. Mayfield sacked on second down. Now it's 3rd and 18. Screen pass to Mixon for 4 yards.

Next possession is the last possession of the first half, when we scored a FG.

First possession of the second half, we run the ball with Mixon on first down. Gain 4. Then Mayfield takes a sack on second down, and now it's third and long again and we go three and out.

Not sure how you put this on the playcalling man. We ran the ball plenty early on. What killed us were incompletions, penalties, and sacks which put us behind the chains and created long yardage situations.

OU passed the ball 28 times, and ran it 37. In a game where we were down by two possessions for almost the entire game. That's pretty balanced.

Okie35
10/10/2015, 05:26 PM
Perine ran for 5 yards on the second possession. The next play they called a reverse, which got hit for a loss of 3. Now it's 3rd and 8, and you have to pass.

Second possession, OU ran Perine on first and second down, threw a PA pass on third and short (picked up 12 on 3rd and 2). OU ran Perine on 1st and 10 and got 1 yard. Now it's second and 9. Mayfield takes a sack, and it's third and long.

Next possession, OU throws on first down (gains 9), calls a read option on second down (picks up a first). 1st and 10 we false start, so now it's 1st and 15. Pass to Mixon for 1 yard on first down. Mayfield sacked on third down. Now it's 3rd and 18. Screen pass to Mixon for 4 yards.

Next possession is the last possession of the first half, when we scored a FG.

First possession of the second half, we run the ball with Mixon on first down. Gain 4. Then Mayfield takes a sack on second down, and now it's third and long again and we go three and out.

Not sure how you put this on the playcalling man. We ran the ball plenty early on. What killed us were incompletions, penalties, and sacks which put us behind the chains and created long yardage situations.

OU passed the ball 28 times, and ran it 37. In a game where we were down by two possessions for almost the entire game. That's pretty balanced.

I bet the runs came mostly in the 2nd. It'll work for Tennessee not Texas. It was that trick play that really pissed me off. Run it again. I'm also sure we passed more on first downs too. Oh and the play allying was bad. They at blitzing how about quick passes and small ball like boulder79 said. Hell where was the zone read with Perine and Mixon that we marched down the field against tennessee. Yes the playcalling was bad.

manateepower
10/10/2015, 05:30 PM

Let's keep making this tired, nonsensical argument that had been addressed and debunked for years.

The answer to this question is I don't know. It's up to Castiglione to put in the work necessary to find the best possible replacement.

Just because we don't have the answer right now doesn't mean that we continue to condone and enable mediocrity and incompotence.

manateepower
10/10/2015, 05:32 PM

OU's talent hasn't "been there" for 7 years. Whose fault is that?

Curly Bill
10/10/2015, 05:35 PM

Rests squarely on the head coaches shoulders, and this is as big a reason as any he has to go! Not that much top talent interested in heading to Norman these days, and after several years of relative mediocrity who can blame them?

What does the song say: The thrill is gone!

Okie35
10/10/2015, 05:35 PM

We have talent and its the staff. Riley wasn't the answer. I wish someone run heavy was the OC... Or we could've recruited an Offensive line.

To be honest who would we get for Stoops? We will be set back for YEARS ... Chip isn't the answer we'd have a soft team. I mean you guys are spoiled and sure we are mediocre for ou standards but I can't handle a 4 win season. We will look like Nebraska is now. Fire 9 win Bo for a new coach that may only get you 6/7 wins. Yea I'll be fine with that *sarcasm*

graphster
10/10/2015, 05:36 PM
I bet the runs came mostly in the 2nd. It'll work for Tennessee not Texas. It was that trick play that really pissed me off. Run it again. I'm also sure we passed more on first downs too. Oh and the play allying was bad. They at blitzing how about quick passes and small ball like boulder79 said. Hell where was the zone read with Perine and Mixon that we marched down the field against tennessee. Yes the playcalling was bad.

In the first half, OU passed it 6 times on first down, and ran it 5 times.

Curly Bill
10/10/2015, 05:36 PM
We have talent and its the staff. Riley wasn't the answer. I wish someone run heavy was the OC... Or we could've recruited an Offensive line.

But that's just it - we can't recruit like we once did!!! We're not competing with Alabama and LSU for linemen - we're competing with New Mexico and North Texas!!!

graphster
10/10/2015, 05:38 PM
We had 1.8 yards per rush attempt, man. And we still ran it a bunch. Commitment to the run game is not the issue. Execution in the run game (and the pass game to set up favorable down/distance situations) is.

Okie35
10/10/2015, 05:38 PM
In the first half, OU passed it 6 times on first down, and ran it 5 times.

Exactly ... More passes on first down

Okie35
10/10/2015, 05:41 PM
But that's just it - we can't recruit like we once did!!! We're not competing with Alabama and LSU for linemen - we're competing with New Mexico and North Texas!!!

Its just lineman in my opinion remember when we had 4 all Americans starting. I miss it. We have talent just not in the trenches. We have too much of s finesse offensive line kind of like Oregon. That's why they've never won out. SOFT.

Okie35
10/10/2015, 05:41 PM
We had 1.8 yards per rush attempt, man. And we still ran it a bunch. Commitment to the run game is not the issue. Execution in the run game (and the pass game to set up favorable down/distance situations) is.

All said and done we did and you know sacks get added to total rush yards. If we would've just stuck with it those blitzes would've been dialed back.

Curly Bill
10/10/2015, 05:45 PM
Its just lineman in my opinion remember when we had 4 all Americans starting. I miss it. We have talent just not in the trenches. We have too much of s finesse offensive line kind of like Oregon. That's why they've never won out. SOFT.

All-American caliber linemen are mostly heading to the SEC. They sure as hell aren't coming to Norman to play for a now perennially mediocre Stoops coached team.

I don't know that we're a finesse offensive line so much as it just isn't very good at anything - be it power running, zone blocking, or pass protection.

Okie35
10/10/2015, 05:48 PM
All-American caliber linemen are mostly heading to the SEC. They sure as hell aren't coming to Norman to play for a now perennially mediocre Stoops coached team.

I don't know that we're a finesse offensive line so much as it just isn't very good at anything - be it power running, zone blocking, or pass protection.

How does Arkansas get them is what I want to know? They are bad. It's definitely not because of the SEC brand. You couldn't "pay" me to play there.

SoonerorLater
10/10/2015, 05:52 PM

If only our O-Line could finesse them. The replay where the Whorn DT busted up the middle beating our double team with Darlington and Farniok just told the whole story. The interior of the line where we have some experience isn't very good. The outside where we have some young raw talent is mistake prone.

Okie35
10/10/2015, 05:53 PM
Really though someone tweet Lincoln Riley and ask where was the zone read with Perine and Mixon at that we marched down against Tennessee with? I haven't seen it since then. People say playcalling wasn't bad. We could've tried it at least once.

Curly Bill
10/10/2015, 05:54 PM
How does Arkansas get them is what I want to know? They are bad. It's definitely not because of the SEC brand. You couldn't "pay" me to play there.

Beats me? I just know OU doesn't seem to be an attractive destination for top talent anymore. I remember when we loaded up on talent, competed with one and all especially for the top Texas talent, but that's not been the case for a few years now. No doubt some of those lower ranked players will turn out to be good players, but the odds are better in that regard the better the talent you bring in.

Okie35
10/10/2015, 05:57 PM
Beats me? I just know OU doesn't seem to be an attractive destination for top talent anymore. I remember when we loaded up on talent, competed with one and all especially for the top Texas talent, but that's not been the case for a few years now. No doubt some of those lower ranked players will turn out to be good players, but the odds are better in that regard the better the talent you bring in.

I remember that too. We haven't been in the top 10 for recruiting in a long time. Maybe other schools provide services we don't. I'm just saying.

olevetonahill
10/10/2015, 06:07 PM

So you run and Hide behind the PoPos and Phil. Then come back to denigrate Bob?
Be Ok Im ready fer Bob to go myself!

Okie35
10/10/2015, 06:13 PM
At least Tennessee will win. Makes us look better.

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2015, 06:20 PM
I don't see Arkie as a very good example. They play tough, he-man, beat-your-chest football all the way down to the SEC west cellar. Sometimes, I think folks here would rather be tough than win.

Okie35
10/10/2015, 06:24 PM
I don't see Arkie as a very good example. They play tough, he-man, beat-your-chest football all the way down to the SEC west cellar. Sometimes, I think folks here would rather be tough than win.

They have good lineman though... Wisconsin, Stanford, etc and they don't have the same success as us

Snrinhouston
10/10/2015, 06:26 PM
T
Let's keep making this tired, nonsensical argument that had been addressed and debunked for years.

The answer to this question is I don't know. It's up to Castiglione to put in the work necessary to find the best possible replacement.

^^^^^perfectly said

Just because we don't have the answer right now doesn't mean that we continue to condone and enable mediocrity and incompotence.

Soonerjeepman
10/10/2015, 06:27 PM
we have a WALK-ON starting at QB...(I've been impressed by him..no doubt) BUT really think about that...

Okie35
10/10/2015, 06:28 PM
we have a WALK-ON starting at QB...(I've been impressed by him..no doubt) BUT really think about that...

Won freshman/newcomer of the year with only 9 games ... He's obviously talented. He really didn't even play bad today. It's all good. I'm glad Tennessee won. Maybe we can fight our way back into the top 10. The season isn't over Id love to spoil everything for TCU and Baylor.

Soonerjeepman
10/10/2015, 06:29 PM
I remember that too. We haven't been in the top 10 for recruiting in a long time. Maybe other schools provide services we don't. I'm just saying.

right now...if you were a top talent kid...

bu (top 5) fun fast offense..killing folks
tcu same
ou = living on yesteryear
ut - always has kids...sucks now but has the facilities.

JUST in the big 12...

I'd say OU is either last or just in front of ut...which with this win might swing a kid or two. Kids don't GAS about 15 years ago...heck they don't care about 5 years ago..it's about NOW>

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2015, 06:31 PM
They have good lineman though... Wisconsin, Stanford, etc and they don't have the same success as us

Agree they have good lineman, but the goal is a good team. We've had good O-line's too, but this year is probably the worst. Having the announcer point out how St. John is telegraphing the play is pretty discouraging. And having Farniok line up at guard is a little telling too.

Soonerjeepman
10/10/2015, 06:34 PM
Won freshman/newcomer of the year with only 9 games ... He's obviously talented. He really didn't even play bad today. It's all good. I'm glad Tennessee won. Maybe we can fight our way back into the top 10. The season isn't over Id love to spoil everything for TCU and Baylor.

true, just saying...like I said in another thread, I gave us 2-3 losses easily this year. TT will be tough there, ksu tough there...bu/tcu - ugh. osu as well. The ONLY cupcakes are ku and isu.

Okie35
10/10/2015, 06:34 PM
Agree they have good lineman, but the goal is a good team. We've had good O-line's too, but this year is probably the worst. Having the announcer point out how St. John is telegraphing the play is pretty discouraging. And having Farniok line up at guard is a little telling too.

We haven't had a solid line in years though

Okie35
10/10/2015, 06:37 PM
true, just saying...like I said in another thread, I gave us 2-3 losses easily this year. TT will be tough there, ksu tough there...bu/tcu - ugh. osu as well. The ONLY cupcakes are ku and isu.

We have tech at home(I thought) and we will probably run that game because it's obvious. Thing is too we can play inspired after a loss. We will see how it turns out. I was saying it'll be a 10-2 year before the season and maybe next year will be the year.

Since71ASooner4Life
10/10/2015, 06:45 PM

Thats the frustrating truth. I still believe a good part of it is related to several humiliating losses in Bowl Games.

olevetonahill
10/10/2015, 06:47 PM
T

So When we Meeting fer Drinks after work at Luckys?

I can see if the Cop ( you Know Randy Lisle) is available to come chaperon !

Okie35
10/10/2015, 06:52 PM
Thats the frustrating truth. I still believe a good part of it is related to several humiliating losses in Bowl Games.

Alabama helped but that Clemson loss whoa

graphster
10/10/2015, 06:56 PM
We haven't had a solid line in years though

What are you talking about? We had a dominant offensive line last year, and if it hadn't been for complete incompetence in the playcalling and the passing game, would have probably won every game but the Baylor game. We've had several linemen in the past 3-4 years get drafted in the first three rounds.

We have some good young players on the line, but they are clearly not ready to start. They'll probably be solid in a year or two.

PhiDeltBeers
10/10/2015, 06:59 PM
We averaged about 4 yards a carry if you deduct sacks....much better than the perceived 1.8.

Okie35
10/10/2015, 08:19 PM
We averaged about 4 yards a carry if you deduct sacks....much better than the perceived 1.8.

Yup ... And to soonerjeepman um TCU isn't more talented on defense that's for sure

Curly Bill
10/10/2015, 08:22 PM
TCU likely beats us like a rented mule - but I'm willing to be amused by anyone who wants to try and convince themselves otherwise!

TrophyCollector
10/10/2015, 08:28 PM
Lots of talk about not having great talent anymore, you mean we don't have national championship talent like:

Jeremy Wilson-Guest
Antwone Savage
Josh Norman
Barry Hollieman
Frank Romero
Rocky Bright
Ryan Fischer
Ontei Jones
Seth Litrell

We have WAY more talent than that 2000 team, the difference is those guys blocked on every play, wrapped up on every tackle and caught every ball that hit their hands. The 2000 coaches demanded every player be fundamentally sound. Every since we've tried to win with recruiting stars and schemes.

FaninAma
10/10/2015, 08:55 PM
Well bye fans don't let the door hit you when you leave
Seriously? You're going to play the bad fan card after the 2nd straight ugly loss to one of our top 2 rivals? Besides, I don't think Bob, Joe or David care about the average fan unless there's not enough of us to fill the seats on game days.

graphster
10/10/2015, 08:58 PM
I mean, if you want to ignore the fact that that team also had Josh Heupel, Quentin Griffen, Rocky Calmus, Derrick Strait, Michael Thompson (who would have been an NFL draft pick if not for the car accident), Andre Woolfolk, and Roy Williams, then I guess you can make any argument work.

Which players on this year's team do you think would have started in 2000?

Snrinhouston
10/10/2015, 09:00 PM
Seriously? You're going to play the bad fan card after the 2nd straight ugly loss to one of our top 2 rivals? Besides, I don't think Bob, Joe or David care about the average fan unless there's not enough of us to fill the seats on game days.

Therein lies the quickest path to change. If you want regime change, don't go to the games.

kenth68
10/10/2015, 09:13 PM
“They hadn't shown it, but I knew it was there because we had just stopped the run,” (Mike) Stoops said. “They went to the same formation. They weren't going to run it again. We had them outnumbered and just didn't have our guys prepared, ready for the play.”

“When they got in that set and I knew it was coming and I didn't have them obviously prepared enough,” he said.

Well, at least he admitted he was part of the problem.

Then how about the broadcast crew giving away that one of our linemen set his feet differently depending on the play? I wonder if Texas players were tipped off in-game by that.

TrophyCollector
10/10/2015, 09:50 PM
I mean, if you want to ignore the fact that that team also had Josh Heupel, Quentin Griffen, Rocky Calmus, Derrick Strait, Michael Thompson (who would have been an NFL draft pick if not for the car accident), Andre Woolfolk, and Roy Williams, then I guess you can make any argument work.

Which players on this year's team do you think would have started in 2000?

Griffin would be behind Samje and Mixon, Strait might start opposite Sanchez but he was a freshman, Wolfolk was still a WR - no Shepard, Thompson would be on the bench, Calmus wasn't as fast as Striker, Alexander or Evans, Roy and Heupel were pretty good though. Overall 2015 team has WAY more recruiting stars but they don't block, tackle and play fundamentals nearly as well - that was my point.

Soonerjeepman
10/10/2015, 11:03 PM
C
We have tech at home(I thought) and we will probably run that game because it's obvious. Thing is too we can play inspired after a loss. We will see how it turns out. I was saying it'll be a 10-2 year before the season and maybe next year will be the year.

Yes tt at home. They still put up points...more than we do. I'll take tt. There have been obvious situations and that means nothing. I don't think our secondary can keep up...sad to say. As all world as Sanchez is proclaimed to b he gets burnt 2/3 times a game.

cyclonesooner
10/11/2015, 01:21 AM
As usual, lots of good, valid, posts on here regarding the once mighty sooners fall from grace. There are so many reasons for it. As a high school fb coach in Oklahoma and Texas for the past 35 years, I've been very familiar with our recruits coming out of Texas and knowing they were obviously 2nd tier players, wondering just why in the heck OU is signing them. During the Switzer years and on all of our National champ squads, check out how many Okies are on the roster and contributing generously. Hardly any in sight now. Is Oklahoma high school football really that bad and is this a major factor in our recruiting problems ?
Sooners used to roll out great offensive lines on a yearly basis that excelled in both run and pass blocking and always gave great effort. We've got two tackles now that might not start for Langston. Unsound pass blocking schemes and even when we keep 2 running backs in to help pass block, they take poor angles or fail to even touch the blitzing DB or LBer. No urgency or discipline
No depth in our undersized defensive front. I'm surprised so many folks on here give our secondary a pass. They may be the least effective group on our team. Definitely the worst tackling secondary in the nation. At times, they cover well, but their slowness to react and run the alleys on run support is totally unacceptable. OU used to start the most feared, sure tackling DB's in the nation. Where have you gone, Bobby Proctor ?
I almost set my entire collection of Sooner regalia and apparel on fire today, but I opted against that action deciding it was a bit immature and Alabamian in nature.
So, turn out the lights, the party's over. Stick a fork in me. I'm done. When we can't line up and beat a crappy Texas team littered with freshman and other underachievers, it's time for drastic measures. Stoops has gotten fat and comfy and has no desire to nut up and feed the monster any longer, or he has no strategy to do so. I really don't even think he is the top head coach in the Sooner state any more.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/11/2015, 02:19 AM
Mayfield won freshman/newcomer of the year with only 9 games ... He's obviously talented. He really didn't even play bad today. It's all good. I'm glad Tennessee won. Maybe we can fight our way back into the top 10. The season isn't over I'd love to spoil everything for TCU and Baylor.There ya go. Good attitude. I would be okay with what you say...if we could also beat K State, Tech and orange aggy.

Soonerjeepman
10/11/2015, 08:01 AM
Yup ... And to soonerjeepman um TCU isn't more talented on defense that's for sure

maybe not...but we won't stop them...so it'll be an outscore thing...I was surprised ksu could keep scoring. That concerns me for our game against ksu.

Therealsouthsider
10/11/2015, 08:56 AM

....It's not a lifetime appt., including Stoops Ive seen 7 coaches walking the sidelines in Norman....football at the University of Oklahoma would survive

ss

cherokeebrewer
10/11/2015, 09:52 AM
....It's not a lifetime appt., including Stoops Ive seen 7 coaches walking the sidelines in Norman....football at the University of Oklahoma would survive

ss

I've seen 9 coaches walking the sidelines in Norman. Dang, you wake up one morning and realize you're old. Not sure I'll make it for another OU/UT game...

bluedogok
10/11/2015, 08:58 PM
Their record may have said suck but they were a blown officials call against OSU and a missed PAT from being 3-2. If they are 3-2 the talk about them is completely different. Much of it is the media obsession with you're either great or horrible with nothing in between. In reality the NCAA has what they want like the NFL, a few good teams and a whole bunch of mediocre. There are no great teams any more like we grew up with, none.

I don't see how that has been debunked, in fact I think it is pretty much proven when replacing one of the coaches who has won a national championship. It seems every high profile program has had the dud after the stud and some have had multiple duds before hiring a decent coach, not even one up to the level of the one they fired. Every program seems to have struggled after the change.

If Stoops decided to step down, I would shed no tears but I just don't feel right about firing a coach that wins much more than he loses. Especially when we already know Boren and Castiglione aren't going to fire him. Nebraska still hasn't recovered and will probably always be a mid pack Big 10 program. So the question is who do you think would be the coach for the 4-5 years after Stoops and who would then replace that coach?

How many schools that have won national championships or were in the discussion have gone downhill after their legendary coach was fired, left or retired.
USC
Penn State
Michigan
Tennessee
Florida
Georgia
Nebraska
Miami
K-State (then they brought Snyder back)
BYU
Colorado
UCLA
Washington
Ohio State
Texas A&M
Texas

Some of those have never again approached the Top 10 let alone national championship discussion.

Look at where most of those big, athletic linemen live, hint....it's inside the SEC and they are going to SEC schools. It is the SEC brand and because that is the region of the country they are from. The constant promotion of the SEC by ESPN and every other network or print publication feeds that mentality. Those players are looking to be drafted and they feel a mid level SEC school (and Arkansas) gives them a better shot at getting drafted because of the SEC reputation. Wisconsin gets a bunch of average linemen, they are big but exceedingly average. Ohio State is the only Big 10 school getting pro prospect linemen.

Part of the big problem is being yoked to Texas and OSU in conference alignments. You're not going to attract the SEC level players unless you are in the SEC. Not even the ACC with some overlap attracts very many SEC type of players.

Snrinhouston
10/11/2015, 09:08 PM
Their record may have said suck but they were a blown officials call against OSU and a missed PAT from being 3-2. If they are 3-2 the talk about them is completely different. Much of it is the media obsession with you're either great or horrible with nothing in between. In reality the NCAA has what they want like the NFL, a few good teams and a whole bunch of mediocre. There are no great teams any more like we grew up with, none.

I don't see how that has been debunked, in fact I think it is pretty much proven when replacing one of the coaches who has won a national championship. It seems every high profile program has had the dud after the stud and some have had multiple duds before hiring a decent coach, not even one up to the level of the one they fired. Every program seems to have struggled after the change.

If Stoops decided to step down, I would shed no tears but I just don't feel right about firing a coach that wins much more than he loses. Especially when we already know Boren and Castiglione aren't going to fire him. Nebraska still hasn't recovered and will probably always be a mid pack Big 10 program. So the question is who do you think would be the coach for the 4-5 years after Stoops and who would then replace that coach?

How many schools that have won national championships or were in the discussion have gone downhill after their legendary coach was fired, left or retired.
USC
Penn State
Michigan
Tennessee
Florida
Georgia
Nebraska
Miami
K-State (then they brought Snyder back)
BYU
Colorado
UCLA
Washington
Ohio State
Texas A&M
Texas

Some of those have never again approached the Top 10 let alone national championship discussion.

Look at where most of those big, athletic linemen live, hint....it's inside the SEC and they are going to SEC schools. It is the SEC brand and because that is the region of the country they are from. The constant promotion of the SEC by ESPN and every other network or print publication feeds that mentality. Those players are looking to be drafted and they feel a mid level SEC school (and Arkansas) gives them a better shot at getting drafted because of the SEC reputation. Wisconsin gets a bunch of average linemen, they are big but exceedingly average. Ohio State is the only Big 10 school getting pro prospect linemen.

Part of the big problem is being yoked to Texas and OSU in conference alignments. You're not going to attract the SEC level players unless you are in the SEC. Not even the ACC with some overlap attracts very many SEC type of players.

Where did you get that crystal ball that told you Texas would have won in overtime against Cal had it made the PAT?

SoonerorLater
11/29/2015, 12:18 AM
Another blast from the past.

SoCalBigRed
11/29/2015, 01:55 AM
As usual, lots of good, valid, posts on here regarding the once mighty sooners fall from grace. There are so many reasons for it. As a high school fb coach in Oklahoma and Texas for the past 35 years, I've been very familiar with our recruits coming out of Texas and knowing they were obviously 2nd tier players, wondering just why in the heck OU is signing them. During the Switzer years and on all of our National champ squads, check out how many Okies are on the roster and contributing generously. Hardly any in sight now. Is Oklahoma high school football really that bad and is this a major factor in our recruiting problems ?
Sooners used to roll out great offensive lines on a yearly basis that excelled in both run and pass blocking and always gave great effort. We've got two tackles now that might not start for Langston. Unsound pass blocking schemes and even when we keep 2 running backs in to help pass block, they take poor angles or fail to even touch the blitzing DB or LBer. No urgency or discipline
No depth in our undersized defensive front. I'm surprised so many folks on here give our secondary a pass. They may be the least effective group on our team. Definitely the worst tackling secondary in the nation. At times, they cover well, but their slowness to react and run the alleys on run support is totally unacceptable. OU used to start the most feared, sure tackling DB's in the nation. Where have you gone, Bobby Proctor ?
I almost set my entire collection of Sooner regalia and apparel on fire today, but I opted against that action deciding it was a bit immature and Alabamian in nature.
So, turn out the lights, the party's over. Stick a fork in me. I'm done. When we can't line up and beat a crappy Texas team littered with freshman and other underachievers, it's time for drastic measures. Stoops has gotten fat and comfy and has no desire to nut up and feed the monster any longer, or he has no strategy to do so. I really don't even think he is the top head coach in the Sooner state any more.

OUCH!

I hope you coach better than you make predictions or evaluate talent. :D

dennis580
11/29/2015, 03:14 AM
That Bob Stoops can no longer compete for national championships.

For the 7th year in a row, OU has been eliminated from contention before November 1.

Hmm eliminated from contention? This turned out to be totally and completely false.

SoonerForLife92
11/29/2015, 04:50 AM
Lol this thread is fun. Remind me to listen to these guys next year for sure!!

Okie35
11/29/2015, 09:52 AM
Lol this thread is fun. Remind me to listen to these guys next year for sure!!

Hey I was 3/4 right hahaha

I was wrong about the line and saying we'd be 10-2. I did say I hope we spoil everything for TCU and Baylor and called out bad fans. Also that we needed to run more.

Crimson Kid
11/29/2015, 12:15 PM
Just goes to show, Nothing is written in stone no matter how many say or think it is. I'm sure the stoops bashers will be out in full force if the team take's a lose in the playoffs, Till then they are silent waiting to pounce and to say, see i told you so!!!

Been a great year no matter what. B12 CHAMPS!!

Breadburner
11/29/2015, 12:25 PM
Lol....More Dip****s.....!!!!..**** em....!

KantoSooner
11/29/2015, 12:53 PM
The chicken littles are so cute. Then their crap gets tedious. Oh well, try as one might, you just can't understand things for some people.

BoulderSooner79
11/29/2015, 01:18 PM
Just goes to show, Nothing is written in stone no matter how many say or think it is. I'm sure the stoops bashers will be out in full force if the team take's a lose in the playoffs, Till then they are silent waiting to pounce and to say, see i told you so!!!

Been a great year no matter what. B12 CHAMPS!!

You are so right. The odds will be against us in the playoffs as we would have to go through 2 teams that are likely better than any we've played so far. The downers will be back with the I-told-you-so saying we built a team to win a crappy conference that can't compete at the national level. The reality is you have to win your conference first or you're out and we just did that. Boomer!

Snrinhouston
11/29/2015, 01:30 PM
I am clearly one of those Chicken Littles, given that I started this thread. And I have rarely been more happy to be proven wrong. Those who felt as I did, don't necessarily love Sooner Football any less than those who are taking pleasure in pointing out our incorrect predictions. We just viewed the evidence at the time differently.

I have better things to do today than read through the history of this thread. But I wonder how many entries unambiguously predicted going undefeated after the Texas loss and getting into the playoff?

Like everyone else, I hope I am seeing the beginning of a very long term stay of OU football at the elite table of college football. Because that is where it belongs. What Duke, North Carolina, and Kansas are to college basketball…so should OU be to college football.

birddog
11/29/2015, 01:57 PM
Not big on message board bashing of players or coaches but at the end of last season mstoops looked lost, disinterested, whatever you wanna call it. This season has been a huge surprise. We have some great leaders on this team and if it carries over to the younger players we'll be back in the mix for awile.

Thats all i can ask for. Rest up boys, no meaningless bowl game this season!

swardboy
11/29/2015, 02:01 PM
I am clearly one of those Chicken Littles, given that I started this thread. And I have rarely been more happy to be proven wrong. Those who felt as I did, don't necessarily love Sooner Football any less than those who are taking pleasure in pointing out our incorrect predictions. We just viewed the evidence at the time differently.

I have better things to do today than read through the history of this thread. But I wonder how many entries unambiguously predicted going undefeated after the Texas loss and getting into the playoff?

Like everyone else, I hope I am seeing the beginning of a very long term stay of OU football at the elite table of college football. Because that is where it belongs. What Duke, North Carolina, and Kansas are to college basketball…so should OU be to college football.

SPEK. This team had a LOT of growing up to do early on, and they did it at light speed to be in this situation THIS season.

I am so glad I didn't post in this thread before now...lol.

KantoSooner
11/29/2015, 02:29 PM
Snr, let me be clear, while I thought we had no unwinnable games on our schedule this year, I figured we'd drop at least 1 or 2. My happy/disappointed line was around 10 wins. This was because I figured we'd have too much 'new' to do much more.
What drew my ire was not differing opinions but the negativity and vitriol directed at the program by some.

BoulderSooner79
11/29/2015, 02:50 PM
Snr, let me be clear, while I thought we had no unwinnable games on our schedule this year, I figured we'd drop at least 1 or 2. My happy/disappointed line was around 10 wins. This was because I figured we'd have too much 'new' to do much more.
What drew my ire was not differing opinions but the negativity and vitriol directed at the program by some.

Same here, but I didn't project any "ire" over it. I just didn't think it was rational the judge that all the changes were ineffective after 5 games of the season. Especially on offense, I thought it would take most of a season to install a new system and have the players clicking on execution. The defense had already shown signs of improvement over last year by that time.

EDIT: I just read what I wrote - I admitted that I thought fans would be rational! In my defense, I was almost 2 months younger back then.

Snrinhouston
11/29/2015, 03:56 PM
Behind the anger of every OU fan back on October 10th, was an OU fan who loves Sooner football. You may think the anger was unfair or out of proportion, but I still think it worth remembering that it came from a person who cares about Sooner football probably as much as you do.

yermom
11/29/2015, 05:53 PM
Great job on the reverse jinx.

I think we get housed in the first round by the first real team we play, but hey it worked so far!

BoulderSooner79
11/29/2015, 07:28 PM
Great job on the reverse jinx.

I think we get housed in the first round by the first real team we play, but hey it worked so far!

Yep. We're DOOMED! regardless of which team or where.

Eielson
11/30/2015, 12:03 AM
I need more evidence.

jkjsooner
11/30/2015, 11:19 AM
The chicken littles are so cute. Then their crap gets tedious. Oh well, try as one might, you just can't understand things for some people.

It's cute until they do serious harm to our program.

We will most likely seriously miss Stoops when he is gone. The guy has won 9 freakin' Big 12 titles - something we weren't sure would ever happen back in '98.

The problem is that some of these people have such an overinflated view of OU football that they'll likely bring the program down because they expect conference titles every year and national titles ever few years. It's okay to want it and for the program to strive for it but if you expect it and fire coaches who don't achieve it you're setting yourself up for problems. This isn't unique to OU of course. See LSU.

Flagstaffsooner
11/30/2015, 11:55 AM
When you least expect it the Football Gods smile on Norman.

hawaii 5-0
11/30/2015, 12:40 PM
My prayer is that some OU players don't go all crazy and lose their eligibility or worse before the playoffs.

I've been impressed that this year the Sooners have stayed relatively healthy. No season-ending injuries as in years past.

5-0

winout
11/30/2015, 12:44 PM
My prayer is that some OU players don't go all crazy and lose their eligibility or worse before the playoffs.

I've been impressed that this year the Sooners have stayed relatively healthy. No season-ending injuries as in years past.

5-0

I'm thinking GPS ankle monitor on BM, you?

Soonerjeepman
11/30/2015, 12:58 PM
When you least expect it the Football Gods smile on Norman.

Glad Boz is one of them...sure he has a soft spot for OU~

cvsooner
11/30/2015, 01:07 PM
January 6, 2015.

“I just want to also say I’m more determined than ever to get Oklahoma back in the position to competing for national championships like we have so many other times. My dedication and commitment has been questioned before in the last few weeks, and I promise you I’m as dedicated and committed as I ever have been since the day I walked in here. I have a lot invested in this program and no one cares about it more than I do, and I’m anxious and excited moving forward to make improvements and get us back in the position where we’re competing for national championships like we have so many other times.” -- Oklahoma Head Coach Bob Stoops

Just a reminder.

olevetonahill
11/30/2015, 02:18 PM
Some of these posters make me think of the Old boy who wanted to divorce his wife of 15 years cause she got Fat or something, Then when she trimed back down they are all Like "Oh aint she beautifuL"
one er 2 are just a bunch of 2 face arsehole hypocrits.
I admit to sayin I was bout ready for Bob to go after that saxet loss. But I contribute that to a Drunkin hangover. :biggrin:

FaninAma
11/30/2015, 02:39 PM
SPEK. This team had a LOT of growing up to do early on, and they did it at light speed to be in this situation THIS season.

I am so glad I didn't post in this thread before now...lol.

Let's just hope that the program doesn't always require a once-a-decade player like Mayfield to stay at this level. It's funny how success(or lack of success) snowballs during the course of the season.

cvsooner
11/30/2015, 04:55 PM
Let's just hope that the program doesn't always require a once-a-decade player like Mayfield to stay at this level. It's funny how success(or lack of success) snowballs during the course of the season.

But in a lot of ways, that's college football. Nothing breeds success like success, and putting together the right team, the right chemistry, is damned hard. If it wasn't, more people would do it.

BoulderSooner79
11/30/2015, 06:29 PM
But in a lot of ways, that's college football. Nothing breeds success like success, and putting together the right team, the right chemistry, is damned hard. If it wasn't, more people would do it.

Exactly. It's almost always that once-in-a-<timeframe> player that puts a good team over the top and it's usually the QB. We've had Heupel, White, Bradford and now Mayfield to get us into BCS finals and now CFP. So we've been able to snag such a player much faster than once-a-decade rate. The other method is to stack 4* and 5* players at every position on the 2 deep ala Saban and I just don't see that happening at OU.

cvsooner
11/30/2015, 06:52 PM
Exactly. It's almost always that once-in-a-<timeframe> player that puts a good team over the top and it's usually the QB. We've had Heupel, White, Bradford and now Mayfield to get us into BCS finals and now CFP. So we've been able to snag such a player much faster than once-a-decade rate. The other method is to stack 4* and 5* players at every position on the 2 deep ala Saban and I just don't see that happening at OU.

And that only seems to work for Saban, and to a lesser extent, Urban Meyer. Everybody else has intermittent success with it. Maybe there aren't *THAT* many true 4 and 5 star players in actuality.

SoonerorLater
11/30/2015, 09:35 PM
And that only seems to work for Saban, and to a lesser extent, Urban Meyer. Everybody else has intermittent success with it. Maybe there aren't *THAT* many true 4 and 5 star players in actuality.

Mayfield by measurables in all actuality should have been and was a 3 star player by most rating service metrics (too short etc.). This is why Rivals and the like are broad based and will never be able to give you the value of any individual player. Mayfield is as good or better than any 5 star recruit yet if OU would have offered him a scholarship out of HS most people would have found it laughable that we were recruiting a guy that only had offers from the likes of Florida Atlantic. It wasn't just OU.

What I don't really understand is Kliff Kingsbury. He must have had some idea what Mayfield could do. How he let this kid slip away is just baffling.

JLMSOONER
11/30/2015, 09:42 PM
Mayfield by measurables in all actuality should have been and was a 3 star player by most rating service metrics (too short etc.). This is why Rivals and the like are broad based and will never be able to give you the value of any individual player. Mayfield is as good or better than any 5 star recruit yet if OU would have offered him a scholarship out of HS most people would have found it laughable that we were recruiting a guy that only had offers from the likes of Florida Atlantic. It wasn't just

OU.

What I don't really understand is Kliff Kingsbury. He must have had some idea what Mayfield could do. How he let this kid slip away is just baffling.

I imagine Klifford has had to answer that question more than once and probably will have to a few more times.

Skysooner
12/1/2015, 08:24 AM
http://www.scout.com/college/texas-tech/forums/1650-football/14334949-baker-mayfield

Tech would rather have Mahomes lol.

FaninAma
12/1/2015, 03:12 PM
Absolutely. I would prefer that we go the Alabam route. I don't see why we can't. Alabama may have a small advantage with their instate recruiting but it is almost like their program is on autopilot at this point. Maybe that changes if the lose Kirby and some of their other assistant coaches.

BoulderSooner79
12/1/2015, 03:25 PM
Absolutely. I would prefer that we go the Alabam route. I don't see why we can't. Alabama may have a small advantage with their instate recruiting but it is almost like their program is on autopilot at this point. Maybe that changes if the lose Kirby and some of their other assistant coaches.

I just don't believe OU and Norman has that kind of pull. I think we are more like the Ducks where we have to win with scheme and execution along with a few star players at critical positions. Maybe we are a bit between the Ducks and Bama as we do consistently pull in higher ranked recruiting classes than UO, but I don't see us getting consistent top 5 classes.

swardboy
12/1/2015, 03:37 PM
We need a winning streak. Something to challenge 47 straight. Only takes the next three years....yeah, that's the ticket.

cvsooner
12/1/2015, 04:16 PM

It also has to do a lot with Saban cutting kids out of the program if they don't deliver mighty quick and freeing up a scholarship for someone else, not to mention grayshirting at least in years' past.

Skysooner
12/1/2015, 04:20 PM
Just read that the Alabama DC is being considered for the Georgia job. That would be a help since we all know that trying to do 2 jobs like that makes it difficult to do 1 job well. Georgia would take priority for him.

ourichie
12/1/2015, 05:01 PM
http://www.scout.com/college/texas-tech/forums/1650-football/14334949-baker-mayfield

They think Mahomes is the second coming and is gonna bring them a natty next year

Eielson
12/9/2015, 10:34 AM

Honestly, I can't completely blame them. I'd feel pretty good going into next year with Mahomes at QB.

Tear Down This Wall
12/9/2015, 11:10 AM

Or, that it doesn't require playing the three top teams in the conference without the starting QBs and many defensive players. This season, luck was equal to the task.

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2015, 12:14 PM
Or, that it doesn't require playing the three top teams in the conference without the starting QBs and many defensive players. This season, luck was equal to the task.

That's almost always the case for the teams on top. Bama required a bizarre 4th and 25 conversion by Arkie in order to make it to their CCG. MSU needed the ultimate miracle punt return to be included. Clemson needed the least amount of luck, but they were outgained 3-2 by ND and needed to defend a 2 pt conversion at the end to avoid OT.

But it requires more than luck - all these teams are good and have shown resilience all season. Our team could have easily had a pretty 11-1 record last year with a bit more luck and that 1 beat down from BU proved they didn't deserve a playoff spot. Much different than this year.

rock on sooner
12/9/2015, 01:18 PM

It'll be really interesting to watch recruits rethink their commitments after OU
gets #8. There have been several commitments of ESPN 300 players to schools
other than OU where OU has offered, just in the last few days.....

Jacie
12/9/2015, 01:45 PM
It also has to do a lot with Saban cutting kids out of the program if they don't deliver mighty quick and freeing up a scholarship for someone else, not to mention grayshirting at least in years' past.

Let's not go there.

SoonerorLater
12/9/2015, 03:54 PM

That's the breaks of the game. We won a National Championship with a backup QB.