PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops' Program Is The CFB Version Of Charlie Brown, Lucy And The Football

FaninAma
10/10/2015, 11:51 AM
Since 2008 it's been the same thing. Some years it was injuries(2009) but in most it is the coaching and game preparation. And each year we hear how this year will be different. Go ahead buy into the hope that this year Stoops will let the fans kick the football. The first couple of years the fans can be forgiven for letting Lucy pull the football away. The last several times its on the fans for buying the hype yet again.

Judge Smails
10/10/2015, 02:57 PM
http://davepear.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Charlie-Brown-Lucy-Moves-the-Football-Again.png

FaninAma
10/10/2015, 03:01 PM
Bob has enough money. Why does he keep going through the motions? Gave up my season tickets in 2008 and haven't regretted it once.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/10/2015, 03:05 PM
Once again, No game bob saved his adversary's job...

graphster
10/10/2015, 03:07 PM
For several years we under performed due to poor coaching/playcalling/schemes on both sides of the ball. Now we just don't have the players anymore. We're just not that good, especially on the lines of scrimmage.

If you can't win a game where the other team has such a rudimentary passing game and only throws it 12 times, I don't know what to tell you.

VegasSooner
10/10/2015, 03:08 PM
This was hard to watch. Oklahoma played like a team who believed that they had the game in hand just by showing up. They didn't pass protect, block, tackle or move the ball. They looked like the 1-4 team rather than Texas. Texas did nothing magical, just run the ball. Oklahoma never stopped it all day, lots of arm tackling. The killer was when OU cut it to a seven-point game and had Texas pinned back at the nine yard line. A handoff, a missed tackle and 81 yards later, it's first and goal Texas.

Snrinhouston
10/10/2015, 03:18 PM
The answer has been clear for several years. For some reason Castiglione and Boren don't have the sack to make the obvious move.

Since71ASooner4Life
10/10/2015, 03:20 PM
For several years we under performed due to poor coaching/playcalling/schemes on both sides of the ball. Now we just don't have the players anymore. We're just not that good, especially on the lines of scrimmage.

If you can't win a game where the other team has such a rudimentary passing game and only throws it 12 times, I don't know what to tell you.

I've debated with several guys here about all the 3-star talent we've recruited in recent years not measuring up. The fact is we dont have the physical dominance we used to hold over other teams. How often do we dominate the line play on either side against a good team?

FaninAma
10/10/2015, 03:21 PM
The only gamer on offense is Baker Mayfield and it was not through any foresight by Bob that he is even on campus.

Since71ASooner4Life
10/10/2015, 03:23 PM
This was hard to watch. Oklahoma played like a team who believed that they had the game in hand just by showing up. They didn't pass protect, block, tackle or move the ball. They looked like the 1-4 team rather than Texas. Texas did nothing magical, just run the ball. Oklahoma never stopped it all day, lots of arm tackling. The killer was when OU cut it to a seven-point game and had Texas pinned back at the nine yard line. A handoff, a missed tackle and 81 yards later, it's first and goal Texas.

Looked like they were going thru the motions before the game ever started

Mookie91
10/10/2015, 03:33 PM
Had a golf tourney so didn't watch the debacle but fire Stoops and hire who? That is always the difficult question. Oklahoma isn't Notre Dame and you may not have a pick of the "who's who of football coaches".

Since71ASooner4Life
10/10/2015, 03:44 PM
Had a golf tourney so didn't watch the debacle but fire Stoops and hire who? That is always the difficult question. Oklahoma isn't Notre Dame and you may not have a pick of the "who's who of football coaches".

WHAT??????? Oklahoma not the attraction on par with Notre Dame? http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Okie35
10/10/2015, 03:45 PM
Did anyone Seriously Think we would contend for a title be honest?! Lol I mean this year? I'd laugh at you

aurorasooner
10/10/2015, 03:47 PM
Looked like they were going thru the motions before the game ever started

I guess we were saving any screen pass(s) to our RBs that we had in the playbook to nullify their rush for a possible last drive or for OT. I don't know, maybe LR called one and BM checked out of it, I missed it, or our completely inept OL let BM get sacked before we could set one up. FWIW-- I thought Heupel was back. For all this wonder-kid press LR has had, he sure got pwned today, imo.

I really like what the whorns do with all that misdirection x-crossing and faking in their running game, unlike our running game, it keeps all the defensive front 7 from immediately running downhill to point of attack. Although I'm not sure anything would work with the lard-azz OL that we've got this year.

HCBS needs to seriously rethink the RRS pregame routine. Something ""ain't working. Whether it's the team hotel, something the night before (our players not being able to fall asleep and get a quality rest, we're getting low-class Dallas hookers, something) the breakfast pre-game routine, whatever, it's 3 years in a row that we've sucked azz to below average Texass teams. Something just isn't right to come out and play so poorly against your biggest rival.

Those 1st 2 Whorn TDs were just pathetic. That puzzy hands touching trying to force their ball-carrier OB looked like something out of a girls flag FB game. Should've knocked that guy about 5 rows into the stands.

I don't know hith our defender didn't come up with that fumble in the EZ, unless there was perhaps an early TD signal with a whistle and they just quit--which is what it looked like to me. If there wasn't a whistle then that's on coaching. We need to learn to play and play hard 'til the whistle. I think that our coaches have over-coached the stupid-penalty thing to the point where our players are just scared to play.

It's going to be interesting to see if this team just quits or has some stones next week against K-State. From what I saw today, we've only got 4 play-makers on the offensive side and that's BM, SS, Perine and Seibert although he screwed the pooch on that last punt but it sure as hell shouldn't have come down to that, and absolutely zero where it counts--on the OL. Hell, I was thinking that if a fan in the stands let some balloons go into the air, that our huge offensive left-tackle would probably stop in the middle of a play to watch them float, aka the Blind Side.

W/o any plus TOs, we will probably lose at least 3 more games (maybe 4) if this team just doesn't completely fold after that chite-show today.

Mookie91
10/10/2015, 03:51 PM
WHAT??????? Oklahoma not the attraction on par with Notre Dame? http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Hate to be the one to break it to you but it just isn't. You can throw money at some guys and it may stick but Jim Harbaugh isn't leaving Michigan to coach OU. Urban Meyer isn't leaving Ohio Stat, Saban isn't leaving Alabama & Jimbo isn't leaving FSU. You need a plan if you are going to show Stoops the door and it needs to be better than Mike Leach, Mark Richt or a wild fantasy that Chip Kelly comes back to college and chooses OU. Maybe a guy like Dana Holgorsen likes the idea but can he recruit and coach every year on the big stage? I'm all for showing Stoops the door but you better have a darn good plan in place.

Since71ASooner4Life
10/10/2015, 03:52 PM
Did anyone Seriously Think we would contend for a title be honest?! Lol I mean this year? I'd laugh at you

I think people expected a step forward from what was a team with no QB that faded badly down the stretch and got humiliated in its bowl game. Today took me right back to the same feeling as last season. The only thing we haven't seen yet is the dejected body language, but you can sense that's not too many losses away

Mookie91
10/10/2015, 03:57 PM
I think people expected a step forward from what was a team with no QB that faded badly down the stretch and got humiliated in its bowl game. Today took me right back to the same feeling as last season. The only thing we haven't seen yet is the dejected body language, but you can sense that's not too many losses away

I agree but thought the O-Line would be better.

Since71ASooner4Life
10/10/2015, 04:01 PM
Hate to be the one to break it to you but it just isn't. You can throw money at some guys and it may stick but Jim Harbaugh isn't leaving Michigan to coach OU. Urban Meyer isn't leaving Ohio Stat, Saban isn't leaving Alabama & Jimbo isn't leaving FSU. You need a plan if you are going to show Stoops the door and it needs to be better than Mike Leach, Mark Richt or a wild fantasy that Chip Kelly comes back to college and chooses OU. Maybe a guy like Dana Holgorsen likes the idea but can he recruit and coach every year on the big stage? I'm all for showing Stoops the door but you better have a darn good plan in place.

Nobody said anything about Saban or Meyer being interested to leave for a job that pays 2 million less. You made the statement that the OU job isn't the same attraction as Notre Dame, but with the program's history and the coach being the 4th highest paid that doesn't quite hold water.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/10/2015, 04:09 PM
Meh. I remember my jubilation the night we won the 2000 national championship. Never thought it would take this long to win another one, and today's game just confirmed my suspicion that I'll be dead before we do. Hosed by the team who had their worst season opening game since I had big hair in the 80s.

Congrats, Texas. <writhes in pain> Once again you were stoked for the game and we weren't.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/10/2015, 04:12 PM
I agree but thought the O-Line would be better.

I texted my friend during the game that the O line looked like little girls.

He replied that little girls are tougher.

Mookie91
10/10/2015, 04:13 PM
Nobody said anything about Saban or Meyer being interested to leave for a job that pays 2 million less. You made the statement that the OU job isn't the same attraction as Notre Dame, but with the program's history and the coach being the 4th highest paid that doesn't quite hold water.

It isn't Charlie Weiss had some juice as did Tyrone Willingham and Brian Kelly. OU isn't a top tier program, they are the very top of the next tier. Texas is a better job than OU and they got Charlie Strong after Mack.

FaninAma
10/10/2015, 04:20 PM
Don't know why I even started this thread. My GAS factor is pretty low. I wish it would go completely to empty so Ican spend my time doing something that is fun.

cherokeebrewer
10/10/2015, 04:35 PM
Big game Bob has left the building...

soonercastor
10/10/2015, 04:43 PM

Nah, but losing to a freaking awful Texas team shouldn't happen..rivalry or not.
Coming into the game, everyone (except our coaching staff) knew their DL was their strength except our coaching staff apparently. We had a game plan for how they've played in previous games instead of how well they CAN play.

Since71ASooner4Life
10/10/2015, 04:46 PM
It isn't Charlie Weiss had some juice as did Tyrone Willingham and Brian Kelly. OU isn't a top tier program, they are the very top of the next tier. Texas is a better job than OU and they got Charlie Strong after Mack.

We're just going to have to disagree about OU program status. Oklahoma has fallen on hard times since the 2008 season, but to say it isn't recognized nationally as top program, or not in the same league as Notre Dame just isn't right. Boise State probably has one of the best winning percentages during the last decade, but they aren't an elite program, and arent paying 5 million a year for someone that merits elite coach status which an elite program can afford. Notre Dame has sucked for 20 years or longer, but their storied history has kept their name in the elite conversation - probably why they dont have to pay elite money for Kelly despite his resume. I dont know how you disqualify the Oklahoma program from elite status, other than the fact that our lousy play in recent years has a way of making people forget all the elite things we've accomplished over decades, including the first half of the Stoops era. Baylor and TCU are a top tier program in 2014/2015, but I'd hardly call them elite. I bet Briles or Patterson would consider changing jobs for the same money they are paid now, and that's just coaches within our conference. I've not said to fire Bob Stoops yet as I haven't dismissed his resume as ancient history, but I'm sure if we did there would be no shortage of excellent coaches stepping up as candidates. What makes a program elite - National Championships? We qualify. Top tier program 2015? We don't qualify - that's why we're all pissed.

Mookie91
10/10/2015, 05:07 PM
We're just going to have to disagree about OU program status. Oklahoma has fallen on hard times since the 2008 season, but to say it isn't recognized nationally as top program, or not in the same league as Notre Dame just isn't right. Boise State probably has one of the best winning percentages during the last decade, but they aren't an elite program, and arent paying 5 million a year for someone that merits elite coach status which an elite program can afford. Notre Dame has sucked for 20 years or longer, but their storied history has kept their name in the elite conversation - probably why they dont have to pay elite money for Kelly despite his resume. I dont know how you disqualify the Oklahoma program from elite status, other than the fact that our lousy play in recent years has a way of making people forget all the elite things we've accomplished over decades, including the first half of the Stoops era. Baylor and TCU are a top tier program in 2014/2015, but I'd hardly call them elite. I bet Briles or Patterson would consider changing jobs for the same money they are paid now, and that's just coaches within our conference. I've not said to fire Bob Stoops yet as I haven't dismissed his resume as ancient history, but I'm sure if we did there would be no shortage of excellent coaches stepping up as candidates. What makes a program elite - National Championships? We qualify. Top tier program 2015? We don't qualify - that's why we're all pissed.

Notre Dame is like the Yankees, Lakers and Cowboys just the place where people gravitate. I'd say OU isn't top tier because they have won a single championship in 30 years and couple that with absolute crippling losses in big games. I also don't think every program is elite., I'd give that nod to Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State & LSU. Legacy programs would be Notre Dame, Michigan, USC, Oklahoma, Penn State, etc.

Okie35
10/10/2015, 06:00 PM

Texas isn't a big game to us anymore. I'm being serious. Remember Bob's comments a few years ago.

Okie35
10/10/2015, 06:01 PM
Nah, but losing to a freaking awful Texas team shouldn't happen..rivalry or not.
Coming into the game, everyone (except our coaching staff) knew their DL was their strength except our coaching staff apparently. We had a game plan for how they've played in previous games instead of how well they CAN play.

Read my previous post. I seriously think the team doesn't care for this game anymore. I think they cared more about the Tennessee game and more about TCU and Baylor. Ppl say it helps with recruiting eh not really we go west now too.

Okie35
10/10/2015, 06:07 PM
Won't look so bad if Tennessee wins

Soonerjeepman
10/10/2015, 06:18 PM
well, glad I worked all day on my buddy's cheap *** rental.

Don't think I'll watch it...I did see one highlight (for ut) and we hit the guy 4 times and he scored a TD from about 20 yrds out. The last was a barely arm tackle...

fumble on KO return, sacked 6 times, gave up at least 1 80 yard run.

I don't GAS crap what anyone says....those players THOUGHT they had it in the bag. (ok, that was frustration!)

wonder what tcu is going to do to us...or bu. I didn't think we'd go undefeated...maybe 2 losses, but damn not 1 to ut.

PrideAlum
10/10/2015, 06:22 PM
Bob has to GO. Somebody posted the question and get who? I can gaurantee there are a bunch of D-Coordinators or O-Cordinators who can come in and breath a sense of ugency into the program. Bob is to comfortable with Joe C. and Boren.

Think about this... this is THREE YEARS in a ROW OU has been outplayed by Texas. OU was lucky last year to win. THREE YEARS IN A ROW..

Think about this also. OU is staring 5 LOSSES in the face. BAYLOR, TCU, THE AGGIES, KSU AND TT could all beat us. OU could easily lose 4 out of 5.

This is what gauls me the most.. Bob says in his press conference that the TEXAS game is JUST ANOTHER GAME. That beating Texas last year meant nothing. Well LOSING TO TEXAS DOES BOB. :tyrannosaurus: Maybe the money guys will wake him up to the fact that you don't lose to ANYTHING ORANGE. I guess your 5m contract means nothing Bob.

I thought Bob fired Josh? Did he? It looked to me that Josh was calling the plays again today. Will Bob ever get rid of Mike? Really since FSU in 2000 what has Mike EVER DONE.

Bob must go

cherokeebrewer
10/10/2015, 06:25 PM
Texas isn't a big game to us anymore. I'm being serious. Remember Bob's comments a few years ago.

Maybe not to Bob and the players, but it's still a big game to me...always will be!

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2015, 06:36 PM
Maybe not to Bob and the players, but it's still a big game to me...always will be!

I don't doubt for a second it was a big game for our players and they wanted to win more than any of the fans wanted them too. Fans seem to claim that every time we lose, but I rarely see what their talking about. About the only time it looks like desire to me is usually in bowl games :(

SicEmBaylor
10/10/2015, 06:38 PM
Off subject, Traber got into a verbal argument with a UT fan (I think) after the game while on the air. Anyone catch what the fan said to him?

TheHumanAlphabet
10/10/2015, 07:06 PM
No, but I expected to beat an entirely clueless and in disarray saxet team...

cherokeebrewer
10/10/2015, 07:25 PM
I don't doubt for a second it was a big game for our players and they wanted to win more than any of the fans wanted them too. Fans seem to claim that every time we lose, but I rarely see what their talking about. About the only time it looks like desire to me is usually in bowl games :(

My daughter brought me a birthday gift this morning altho my birthday is later this month. It was a football signed by most of the former players from the 85 team, even Lil' Joe signed it. I was so pumped I was ready to suit up and play. I'm sure the players wanted to win but I didn't see them match the fire Texas players had. Different perceptions of the game I suppose...*frown*

Jack T.
10/10/2015, 07:53 PM
Off subject, Traber got into a verbal argument with a UT fan (I think) after the game while on the air. Anyone catch what the fan said to him?

Probably said nothing. . .Traber will argue with a fence post.

Sooner Eclipse
10/10/2015, 08:03 PM

Please welcome your new overlord, Bed ****ter Bob!

SicEmBaylor
10/10/2015, 11:36 PM
Probably said nothing. . .Traber will argue with a fence post.

Nah, the guy yelled some insult at him in the background. I think it had something to do with his playing days. He's sensitive about that ****.

Sammalone
10/11/2015, 05:27 AM
You guys had your fun chastising Texas because of Mack Brown. Well, now you got a taste of what UT fan endured all those years.....Bob is the new Mack.

ENJOY!!!!

FaninAma
10/11/2015, 08:31 AM
Did you think we would lose to the 1-4 dumpster fire known as the Texas football program? If you did I' d laugh at you. The apologists are always lowering the bar. We'll see how low even they allow it to go.

SoonerorLater
10/11/2015, 08:54 AM
Most people here aren't apologists just because we don't think the coaching staff should be fired after losing a game. Even a bad loss. I looked at this team as something like an 8-4 type team. At this point they are right about where I would have thought.

Going into the season there was some question about the offensive line and the secondary. Now there is no question about the offensive line. They aren't very good. We're fortunate to have Mayfield at QB or things would be much worse than they are.

graphster
10/11/2015, 09:20 AM
I didn't expect us to win the Big 12 this year, given how good TCU and Baylor are. But I do think it was reasonable to expect us to be able to beat everybody else (especially a Texas team that was reeling and isn't very good), and then at least be competitive in those games at the end of the season. This was supposed to be the year we made strides to get back to competing for championships. Instead, we're arguably worse than we were last year.

Imagine where we would be sitting right now if Tennessee wasn't the worst fourth quarter team in all of college football.

FaninAma
10/11/2015, 09:34 AM
Most people here aren't apologists just because we don't think the coaching staff should be fired after losing a game. Even a bad loss. I looked at this team as something like an 8-4 type team. At this point they are right about where I would have thought.

Going into the season there was some question about the offensive line and the secondary. Now there is no question about the offensive line. They aren't very good. We're fortunate to have Mayfield at QB or things would be much worse than they are.
Again, how low and for how long? You are an apologist and that is OK but OU football will not survive on the die-hard apologists support alone. We didn't lose to a good non-conference team. We lost to a terrible, horrible team that also happens to be our biggest rival. Remember how coming off the great Sugar Bowl win last year was supposed to be our year? Yet here we are still another year(s) away from the level of Baylor football. Sad, just sad.

SoonerorLater
10/11/2015, 10:15 AM
Again, how low and for how long? You are an apologist and that is OK but OU football will not survive on the die-hard apologists support alone. We didn't lose to a good non-conference team. We lost to a terrible, horrible team that also happens to be our biggest rival. Remember how coming off the great Sugar Bowl win last year was supposed to be our year? Yet here we are still another year(s) away from the level of Baylor football. Sad, just sad.

What you are lamenting is the very nature of football. Every week 50% of the teams win, 50% lose. Sometimes it's us, sometimes it's the other guy. I'm not sure why it is you would expect that OU is going to be the best or one of the best teams in the country year after year. It doesn't happen that way. It didn't happen that way for Bud or Barry either. Just a few years after Bud ran off 47 straight he was fielding a team having a losing season. Something that Stoops hasn't experienced to this point. If your enjoyment of OU Football rests on winning every game or being in a championship hunt each year then you are likely to be disappointed for the near future.

FaninAma
10/11/2015, 05:42 PM
What you are lamenting is the very nature of football. Every week 50% of the teams win, 50% lose. Sometimes it's us, sometimes it's the other guy. I'm not sure why it is you would expect that OU is going to be the best or one of the best teams in the country year after year. It doesn't happen that way. It didn't happen that way for Bud or Barry either. Just a few years after Bud ran off 47 straight he was fielding a team having a losing season. Something that Stoops hasn't experienced to this point. If your enjoyment of OU Football rests on winning every game or being in a championship hunt each year then you are likely to be disappointed for the near future.
Like I said , you're an apologist. You find reasons to excuse subpar coaching performances. If this were 2008, 2010, or even 2011 I would be right there with you. But Stoops has now managed to lose to 2 of the 3 worst Texas teams of the past 30 years. He also salvaged OSU's season last year with THE stupidest play call of the last decade. If I thought it would get better I would be on your side but the evidence doesn't support your side.

Snrinhouston
10/11/2015, 05:50 PM
Like I said , you're an apologist. You find reasons to excuse subpar coaching performances. If this were 2008, 2010, or even 2011 I would be right there with you. But Stoops has now managed to lose to 2 of the 3 worst Texas teams of the past 30 years. He also salvaged OSU's season last year with THE stupidest play call of the last decade. If I thought it would get better I would be on your side but the evidence doesn't support your side.

I'm with you. The evidence is overwhelming that Stoops cannot maintain the historical OU standard of competing for National Titles.

For those who think otherwise, I wonder if they think O.J. didn't kill Nicole Brown or Ronald Goldman.

BoulderSooner79
10/11/2015, 05:54 PM
O.J. was acquitted in a court of law.

Snrinhouston
10/11/2015, 05:57 PM
And how did he fare in the civil trial?

BoulderSooner79
10/11/2015, 07:04 PM
And how did he fare in the civil trial?

I was just throwing out an irrelevant fact to help you take your mind off OU football before it ruins your whole weekend. Personally, I just went out for a bike ride in this beautiful fall weather and I'm over it now.

Curly Bill
10/11/2015, 07:21 PM
I was just throwing out an irrelevant fact to help you take your mind off OU football before it ruins your whole weekend. Personally, I just went out for a bike ride in this beautiful fall weather and I'm over it now.

So...people can't argue about Sooner football without it ruining their weekend?

This is part of the lame argument some use when you're not a "real fan" - that you must be miserable in your real life.

As for me at least, I'm perfectly capable of arguing that Bob Stoops is now sucking it up, and still enjoying the rest of my life. But maybe I'm the only one that can compartmentalize that way?!

BoulderSooner79
10/11/2015, 07:52 PM
CB, I wasn't worried about you - I'm sure your life is peachy. Just worried that our friend in Houston is posting from the ledge.

Snrinhouston
10/11/2015, 08:10 PM
CB, I wasn't worried about you - I'm sure your life is peachy. Just worried that our friend in Houston is posting from the ledge.

Thanks for the concern. Bob doesn't send me a bday card or help me with the lawn care. I am able to keep it in perspective

FaninAma
10/12/2015, 10:35 AM

I didn't know commenting on a football board about football constituted a mental health issue. I think the only mental health issue should be why any serious Sooner fan should still care about the program at this point? It will only change when the automatic sell-outs of Owen Field come to an end.

Snrinhouston
10/12/2015, 11:06 AM
I didn't know commenting on a football board about football constituted a mental health issue. I think the only mental health issue should be why any serious Sooner fan should still care about the program at this point? It will only change when the automatic sell-outs of Owen Field come to an end.

You are 100% right. That's probably the only thing that will get Boren's attention. I'd encourage Sooner fans that want regime change to watch the games at home, if at all.

Pride1Mom
10/12/2015, 02:56 PM
I have gone to this game more times than I would like to admit. Some of you on this board weren't even born yet. Every year it is the same, the fans care more about the game than the players. Sometimes it is the Texas side, and sometimes it is the OU side, but the coaches can never get it through the players heads that NO MATTER what the teams' records are you can toss those out when this game is played.

This year Texas had NOTHING TO LOOSE! So they played like it, and OU came out flat. I don't care what the OU coaches said, anyone could see it on the field. I was not impressed with play calling, nor the defense when all Texas did was run the ball. I was hoping for half time adjustment, but that did not happen either.

PrideAlum
10/12/2015, 03:06 PM
This year Texas had NOTHING TO LOOSE! So they played like it, and OU came out flat. I don't care what the OU coaches said, anyone could see it on the field. I was not impressed with play calling, nor the defense when all Texas did was run the ball. I was hoping for half time adjustment, but that did not happen either.

There has not been a more true statement written. This game was the Longhorns bowl game