PDA

View Full Version : Did you see Utah's trick play vs Oregon on a punt return?

Jacie
10/10/2015, 08:43 AM
It was shown on Sports Center this morning.

Almost all trick plays in the kicking game are initiated by the kicking team, such as a fake, punt or field goal, then there is the quick kick and finally the onside, which when put in early is a trick as opposed to late in a game when the kicking team is behind, needs a possession to win and the return team expects it.

So how did the Utes pull a trick as the return team?

During the game, Oregon punted from the left hash mark (all use of left and right will be from the perspective of the kicking team). The ball went to the left side of the field for a fair catch by the return man. Later in the game, the same situation cropped up, an Oregon punt from the left hash mark.

Lined up in kick coverage, Oregon had speed guys split wide to either side, Utah had one man to hit the speed guy on the right side and two to hit the one on the left.

The ball was punted, the speed guys got past the Utah blockers at the LOS and raced toward the return man who had set up on the left side but now, eyes in the air watching the ball, was drifting to the right side of the field.

As the speed guys reached the return man, who did not catch the punt, they no doubt heard the collective groan of the home crowd as the referees signalled touchdown Utah.

What happened?

The return man was a decoy.

One of the two blockers of the left side speed guy, just before the snap, turned and ran down the left side of the field.

With the speed guys following the path of the return man, the rest of the Oregon coverage close behind, all went to the right. Even the camera stayed on the return man.

The blocker who ran down the left side fielded the punt and had nothing but open field in front of him, it was an easy return.

It was ingenious and as trick plays go, relatively safe. Had it not worked the result would have been no different had the regular return man fielded the ball.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/10/2015, 09:30 AM
Dayum! I would love to see OU do this to tx today!

jkjsooner
10/10/2015, 09:42 AM
There was a play like that a few weeks ago as well. Maybe it was the same one.

I don't know how the kicking team is trained but it seems to me that they have to concentrate on the return guy to see if he signals for a fair catch. It seems to me that you're asking the kicking team to look for a fair catch signal but also be aware of where the ball is. That seems like it is asking a lot.

soonercastor
10/10/2015, 12:32 PM
There was a play like that a few weeks ago as well. Maybe it was the same one.

I don't know how the kicking team is trained but it seems to me that they have to concentrate on the return guy to see if he signals for a fair catch. It seems to me that you're asking the kicking team to look for a fair catch signal but also be aware of where the ball is. That seems like it is asking a lot.

The player faking the catch cannot fake calling the fair catch, he just acts like he's going to catch the ball.

Statalyzer
10/12/2015, 12:29 AM
I have never seen that sort of trick play before in ~20 years of watching football.

yermom
10/12/2015, 12:47 AM
SU0vCDfeGF0

that's crazy

and dammit, the wh0rns are coming out of the woodwork again

BoulderSooner79
10/12/2015, 01:44 AM
Dayum! I would love to see OU do this to tx today!

You got your wish and it almost worked. If Quick doesn't mis-judge the punt and let it bounce, he would have had space. It did fool the coverage team.