PDA

View Full Version : Totally committed to UT . . .

Jacie
10/7/2015, 12:08 PM
Report: Texas RB Chris Warren "not timid about the transfer process"
By Wescott Eberts on Oct 6, 2015

The family of one Texas Longhorns freshman is already considering the next step if head coach Charlie Strong doesn't receive enough support from the school's administration, according to a report from the Washington Huskies' 247Sports site.

K'Tara Lopez, the mother of Texas freshman running back Chris Warren, told RealDawg.com that the family is "not timid about the transfer process," but will remain in the current "wait-and-see stage" with the head coaching situation in Austin. Strong is the right man for the Texas job, she believes, but the family is clearly preparing for the worst possible scenario already.

Would it take Strong's termination after the season to prompt a transfer from Texas for Warren, whose father played for the Seattle Seahawks, building a bond to the city that had the Rockwall product seriously considering the Huskies up until committing the Longhorns on National Signing Day? Or would the appearance of a lack of support and little progress this season be enough to cause Warren to bail?

It wasn't clear from the comments from Lopez, but it does seem odd that the mother of a current player would even make public, on-the-record statements about the possibility of her son transferring. Warren said that he chose Texas when the Horns won a coin flip over the Huskies just prior to his commitment ceremony.

The interview with the Washington site comes only days after freshman cornerback Kris Boyd infamously retweeted a Texas A&M transfer plea during halftime of the blowout loss to TCU.

A report from ESPN on Monday indicated that Strong has currently has "breathing room" as a result of support from new president Greg Fenves and interim athletic director Mike Perrin. However, serious pressure on Fenves and Perrin from boosters in the coming months could seriously change that equation, as such forces were seemingly integral in ousting former athletic director Steve Patterson after less than two years on the job.

Warren hasn't played since suffering an ankle injury against Cal, missing the games against Oklahoma State and TCU. On the season, he's carried the ball 10 times for 33 yards.

Soonerjeepman
10/7/2015, 12:14 PM
lol..a mom chiming in...okay, whatever.

rock on sooner
10/7/2015, 12:21 PM
Hmmmm, not so sure, Jeep, mommas carry a lot of weight with some players....

Soonerjeepman
10/7/2015, 12:56 PM
Hmmmm, not so sure, Jeep, mommas carry a lot of weight with some players....

oh I agree...just the thought that SHE thinks Strong is the right guy...

badger
10/7/2015, 01:12 PM
A coin flip. You determine what school your degree is from, where you'll be your future wife, where coaches will brag about pro scouts about you, where you'll have a place to fall back on when you go undrafted, where you'll someday get a job in the athletic department because you forgot to pick a real major, ON. A. COIN. FLIP.

The only thing smart at Texas is Shaka :mack:

winout
10/7/2015, 01:25 PM
A coin flip. You determine what school your degree is from, where you'll be your future wife, where coaches will brag about pro scouts about you, where you'll have a place to fall back on when you go undrafted, where you'll someday get a job in the athletic department because you forgot to pick a real major, ON. A. COIN. FLIP.:

That, and the unis!

BoulderSooner79
10/7/2015, 01:36 PM
I look back on my naive youth and am amazed at how some of my life decisions were made. My FR year, I declared as an engineering major because I was offered a $300 scholarship to declare that way. The alternate was "no major" - it didn't make any difference in the classes I would take since they were all general. From there, I just went with the flow and never changed my major even though I never really gave it much thought. I may have done the same thing regardless as I had high math/science scores going into it, but that $300 may well have determine my career.

rock on sooner
10/7/2015, 01:46 PM
That, and the unis!

Yeah, the coin flip thing really diminishes both schools and emphasizes
the player's ambition (read NFL)...don't know of any players that selected
based on unis...if there are, oh my...

oupride
10/7/2015, 02:13 PM
Strong's 5-year contract is worth $5 million annually. Charlie is in his 2nd year.

BoulderSooner79
10/7/2015, 05:19 PM
Strong's 5-year contract is worth $5 million annually. Charlie is in his 2nd year.

I'm sure they have an out clause in there. Probably not cheap, but $$ is not their problem.

Soonerfan88
10/7/2015, 07:04 PM
Ok, that headline really doesn't reflect the article. The kid and his family support Charlie Strong and will only consider transferring if he isn't there. Yet whatever site put that out there used a click-bait headline to make it sound like he was gone by January.

SoonerMarkVA
10/7/2015, 08:53 PM
oh I agree...just the thought that SHE thinks Strong is the right guy...

I, for one, support this momma 100%! :joyous:

swardboy
10/8/2015, 07:12 AM
Ok, that headline really doesn't reflect the article. The kid and his family support Charlie Strong and will only consider transferring if he isn't there. Yet whatever site put that out there used a click-bait headline to make it sound like he was gone by January.

I could be wrong but I think the OP concocted the title as a means of sarcastic expression. If so, well played my friend.