PDA

View Full Version : Nice D

FaninAma
9/19/2015, 01:00 PM
LOL. All of you guys that ragged on TDTW better hope the defensive coaches and DB's pull their heads out of their asses. RBs aren't helping.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2015, 01:04 PM
I rag on TDTW because he's funny.

FaninAma
9/19/2015, 01:05 PM
I rag on TDTW because he's funny.
No, you rag on him brcause he isn't a pumper.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2015, 01:11 PM
No, you rag on him brcause he isn't a pumper.

You can read my mind? Even my wife can only do that on occasion. I find his Nostradamus schtick hilarious whether I agree with him or not. Often I often do agree with him.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/19/2015, 01:13 PM
Our pass D has traditionally been pretty bad under Mike until after Game 5

FaninAma
9/19/2015, 01:14 PM
You can read my mind? Even my wife can only do that on occasion. I find his Nostradamus schtick hilarious whether I agree with him or not. Often I often do agree with him.

No mind reading necessary. It easy to infer.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2015, 01:24 PM
No mind reading necessary. It easy to infer.

I'll take that as a proposal, but I'll stick with the current wifey.

Seems important to you but here is a post of mine from June trying to egg on TDTW. Honestly, I do like his posts and hope he comes back.

TDTW is actually a ray of sunshine if you pay attention - it's just directed toward the '16 and '17 seasons after the current staff is erased from the scrolls. One perceives the world differently when one possess Nostradamus-like vision.

FaninAma
9/19/2015, 01:26 PM
I'll take that as a proposal, but I'll stick with the current wifey.

Seems important to you but here is a post of mine from June trying to egg on TDTW. Honestly, I do like his posts and hope he comes back.
geezus, you are schizophrenic.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2015, 01:29 PM
Amazing I've survived 6 decades, isn't it?

FaninAma
9/19/2015, 01:46 PM
Amazing I've survived 6 decades, isn't it?
LOL. Sorry about the rude comments but this is the same bad movie thats been playing for the past 7 years on D.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2015, 01:55 PM
LOL. Sorry about the rude comments but this is the same bad movie thats been playing for the past 7 years on D.

Hey, you had me looking up "schizophrenic" just to see if the symptoms matched! (Only a couple did, whew)

:cheerful:

olevetonahill
9/19/2015, 02:04 PM
I rag on him cause he's a judgmental prick. never said anything about the D
He sure Bad mouthed Baker an Mixon tho dint he?

Therealsouthsider
9/19/2015, 02:51 PM
....even if they are only avg, I would like to see OU sign some db's over 5'9"

....also, they need to have the capacity to turn their heads and look for the ball

ss

soonerfan69
9/19/2015, 02:53 PM
That's coaching

bluedogok
9/19/2015, 03:02 PM

....also, they need to have the capacity to turn their heads and look for the ball

ss
Most athletic guys over 5'-9" tall with ball skills become receivers. There just aren't that many of them, if they are taller than that and can't catch then they are usually bigger and become linebackers.

SoCalBigRed
9/19/2015, 03:52 PM
What have you got to say?

That score is misleading. Those yards, don't mean Jack.

Take away, two GIFTS in twelve seconds... what did Tulsa do? Run up and down the field scoring 3, 7 and 7 in the other 3 quarters.

TDTW gets everything he deserves and hasn't anyone to blame but himself. I haven't any pity for self-inflicted pain, nor patience for stupidity.

hawaii 5-0
9/19/2015, 04:03 PM
OK, we gave up a lotta yards in the passing game.

I'm happy we're at least tackling better after the catch.

It could be worse.

5-0

SoonerorLater
9/19/2015, 04:11 PM
Most defenses will not do well against spread offenses that have a good QB and receivers. Tulsa has both.

KantoSooner
9/19/2015, 04:22 PM
LOL. All of you guys that ragged on TDTW better hope the defensive coaches and DB's pull their heads out of their asses. RBs aren't helping.
This was thread-worthy?
What? Ole Tear send you a check?

SoonerorLater
9/19/2015, 04:34 PM
This was thread-worthy?

Obviously you are nothing more than a sunshine pumper. 47 carries for 286 yds. and a 6.1 avg. is wholly inadequate for a team with OU's pedigree. We should run for over 1000 yards per game.

KantoSooner
9/19/2015, 05:20 PM
Yes, I pump sunshine; though really I prefer blowing smoke followed with a bracing draught of koolaid.
But really? I like to believe that I walk the walk of a true OU fan, telling it like it is but engaging in turd polishing and lily gilding when appropriate.
Most of all I try to remind myself that I'm neither a coach nor an athletic administrator.

SoonerorLater
9/19/2015, 05:49 PM
Yes, I pump sunshine; though really I prefer blowing smoke followed with a bracing draught of koolaid.
But really? I like to believe that I walk the walk of a true OU fan, telling it like it is but engaging in turd polishing and lily gilding when appropriate.
Most of all I try to remind myself that I'm neither a coach nor an athletic administrator.

Well ok, but in the future a more negative takeaway from these victories would be appreciated.

olevetonahill
9/19/2015, 06:42 PM
Most defenses will not do well against spread offenses that have a good QB and receivers. Tulsa has both.

Are you factoring in the Fact we had a Freshman 1st time Corner starting? Plus Sanchez who was Out matched?

This was thread-worthy?

Butt hole Buddy's and such !

Obviously you are nothing more than a sunshine pumper. 47 carries for 286 yds. and a 6.1 avg. is wholly inadequate for a team with OU's pedigree. We should run for over 1000 yards per game.

I hate we dint cover cause I had a 100 on it. But I love a W regardless!

olevetonahill
9/19/2015, 06:45 PM
I have found it Immensely satisfying To Inhale some Smoke, Then Try the Munchy's . Now IF i see a Turd Floating in the Punch Bowl Ima Call TDTW!

Well ok, but in the future a more negative takeaway from these victories would be appreciated.

I try Bro but Im too stupid to manage it!

FaninAma
9/19/2015, 06:55 PM
Are you factoring in the Fact we had a Freshman 1st time Corner starting? Plus Sanchez who was Out matched?

Butt hole Buddy's and such !

I hate we dint cover cause I had a 100 on it. But I love a W regardless!
Reread your post and then think about it. You may have an epiphony.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2015, 06:55 PM

Ok, I'm not just tappin' the brakes, I'm stomping them.

FaninAma
9/19/2015, 06:56 PM
Our pass D has traditionally been pretty bad under Mike until after Game 5
Shhhhh! That's not nearly a pumpy enough post!

FaninAma
9/19/2015, 06:58 PM
This was thread-worthy?
Yet like a moth to a flame you found the need to weigh in.

With this pass defense I think every Sooner needs to pray Baker Mayfield stays healthy all year.

FaninAma
9/19/2015, 07:04 PM
I rag on him cause he's a judgmental prick. never said anything about the D
He sure Bad mouthed Baker an Mixon tho dint he?
Well, he was wrong about BAker and needs to man up. And if our pass defense hadn't sucked for close to a decade I would be a bit more reserved.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2015, 07:15 PM

With this pass defense I think every Sooner needs to pray Baker Mayfield stays healthy all year.

If you'll lead the prayer, I'll chime in with the "amen".

I have 2 reasons to watch sports. 1) Championship caliber play or 2) simple entertainment. Baker Mayfield makes this team entertaining.

FaninAma
9/19/2015, 07:17 PM
"If we're going to have the type of season we want, we need to get better," Oklahoma defensive coordinator Mike Stoops said. "They exposed some weaknesses. We've got to take them personally and challenge them. We need to get better."

C'mon Mike! You need to be a lot more pumpy than that! You should just be happy with the win cuz Freshman CB and all that!

bluedogok
9/19/2015, 07:44 PM
The days of a shutdown 85 Sooner defense are history, the final point margin is all that matters. The spread has changed the world of stats, it doesn't matter what you do from goal line to goal line. It only matters when you cross it.

FaninAma
9/19/2015, 07:57 PM
The days of a shutdown 85 Sooner defense are history, the final point margin is all that matters. The spread has changed the world of stats, it doesn't matter what you do from goal line to goal line. It only matters when you cross it.
I understand that but allowing 603 total yards? The Tulsa QB was good but he wasn't having to buy time and make difficult throws like Mayfield was. I shudder to think where this game heads if Mayfield isn't the QB.

Jacie
9/19/2015, 08:03 PM
If you think the Sooner secondary is bad, the Cal bears are making sa*et look like a playoff contender.

FaninAma
9/19/2015, 08:08 PM
If you think the Sooner secondary is bad, the Cal bears are making sa*et look like a playoff contender.
I'm watching. Heard is a bad passer but the Horn receivers are so open it doesn't matter.

graphster
9/19/2015, 08:13 PM
I think this game exposed our weaknesses on defense.

Part of it is scheme. Striker and Bond are our best pass rushers, and we get limited pressure if they are forced to drop into coverage. Also, we generally can't play with both of them on the field at the same time against 4 WR sets, so then we end up with only one true pass rusher in the game, who sometimes isn't even rushing the passer.

We also have some clear liabilities in the secondary play. Aside from Sanchez (who gives up some big plays too), we do not have the ability to lock people down in man to man coverage on the outside. Both in terms of the safety play and in terms of the other corner position, there are problems in terms of technique and route recognition that result in big plays when we try to play aggressive coverages. Some of this is probably attributable to the fact that we had a true freshman who was forced into starting at the last minute (and thus probably didn't get as many reps in practice as he needed), but it's not clear how much this can improve from week to week. At the safety position, we have players with more than a season's worth of starts under their belts who are still making big mistakes. The fact that our back end is such a liability more or less forces us to play soft zone coverages and hope that the offense makes a mistake (penalty, drop, or bad throw resulting in a turnover), which Tulsa did a few times otherwise the score would have been worse.

I actually thought that Mike did a pretty good job in terms of calling some timely blitzes and generating some pressure and confusion, but we then had breakdowns in the secondary that allowed them to convert in long yardage.

Mayfield and the offense bailed us out today (after the reverse was true last week in Tennessee), but when we face teams in the conference who have better athletes on defense and can spread us out with their offense, it's going to be a major problem if things don't improve.

KantoSooner
9/19/2015, 08:14 PM

It's something I struggle with.

SoonerorLater
9/19/2015, 08:15 PM

and this pains me greatly.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2015, 08:21 PM
I'm watching. Heard is a bad passer but the Horn receivers are so open it doesn't matter.

True, but that wouldn't have helped Swoopes.

bluedogok
9/19/2015, 08:32 PM
I understand that but allowing 603 total yards? The Tulsa QB was good but he wasn't having to buy time and make difficult throws like Mayfield was. I shudder to think where this game heads if Mayfield isn't the QB.
No, it wasn't a good defensive performance today. Suspended players don't help but I do think the scheme needs some adjustment. They usually did well against the Tech and the other Leach derived offenses, the Briles offense is about 60% throwing over the top which is different than the short passing game. They do need better players in the back end and some scheme adjustment.

What I am saying is there are still people that have this mentality (not just here but other places as well) that giving up yards is tantamount to a loss and almost worse than giving up points, the last that I checked the points are what matters. The teams that have the best defenses are usually playing most of their games against teams still playing the "three yards and a cloud of dust" offenses that don't put up yards. Even Bama gets yards put on them against the better spread teams. Don't get me wrong, I loved the old defenses and the way they could dominate games but the game is just different now. It really is the epitome of the "bend but don't break" defense.

Soonerjeepman
9/19/2015, 11:38 PM

exactly...I was gripping during the game but the announcers, Tillman and Brando? were saying that keeping a team under 500 will be the norm soon. Especially for spread offenses with good receivers and a decent qb. Ya can't judge a D on yards...score.

Curly Bill
9/19/2015, 11:49 PM
exactly...I was gripping during the game but the announcers, Tillman and Brando? were saying that keeping a team under 500 will be the norm soon. Especially for spread offenses with good receivers and a decent qb. Ya can't judge a D on yards...score.

Tillman and Brando give me tired head listening to them! I discount most anything they, and most other football talking heads say as BS.

kenth68
9/20/2015, 02:16 AM

ss

that one "block" was so funny. he was getting praise for it by spencer for his great block, when his play was as talented as a blocking dummy. haha. just thunk, right in the back.

it was driving me crazy when he wouldn't turn to find the ball. even when he had to see the receiver preparing to reach up or out. well, he's young. he'll get it figured out. i just hope they figure it out before Baylor and TCU. and hope for no more individual discipline cases...

Soonerjeepman
9/20/2015, 08:55 AM
Tillman and Brando give me tired head listening to them! I discount most anything they, and most other football talking heads say as BS.

Maybe so but at least Tillman played at that high level...think I'll at least listen. The reality us we won...tulsa will win 7/8 games this year.

I do worry about tcu and bu...they have better athletes and much better defenses.

BlownGP
9/20/2015, 09:31 AM
Maybe so but at least Tillman played at that high level...think I'll at least listen. The reality us we won...tulsa will win 7/8 games this year.

I do worry about tcu and bu...they have better athletes and much better defenses.

TCU didn't like that great on defense last night. There offense even look mehhh

cherokeebrewer
9/20/2015, 09:43 AM
"Well I woke up Sunday morning no way to hold my head that didn't hurt. The beer had for breakfast wasn't bad so I had one more for dessert"

FaninAma
9/20/2015, 02:07 PM
It's something I struggle with.
Like my getting upset with a game played by 18-22 year old kids? Right there with you!

KantoSooner
9/20/2015, 02:22 PM
Pretty much

bluedogok
9/20/2015, 02:25 PM
Even my wife has noticed that I don't get as wound up about the games (OU or Denver) as I used to, I seem to enjoy them more. The "perspective adjustment" that I had in January 2014 seems to have had an effect.

She gets much more wound up about Dallas games than she does Tech games, she says that is because she is used to Tech under achieving for a long time. They weren't very good when she went to school there in the mid-80's.

aurorasooner
9/20/2015, 03:52 PM
The old Big 12 south certainly looks "" offensive.

TCU gave up over 500 Yds to SMU but had 720 yds total offense (454 thru the air)

Texas had 650 yrds (364 thru the air) vs Cal but gave up 280 on the ground and 268 thru the air. I don't really know if UCal is legit, especially on D, but their QB and their offense probably is. The Whorns pulled a "North Dallas 40" when they missed their extra point to send this game into OT.

Taco Tech made 7 of 10 3rd down conversions, 27 of 31 thru the air (2 picks), and almost 500 yards total offense and never punted vs Arkansas. Their D somehow held Bert's mighty rushing O to 3 pts in the 2nd half. "Arkansas, which is now 0-9 under Bielema in games decided by fewer than 10 points"--The press is probably not going to be calling him ""Big Game Bret anytime soon --but they did punish the whorns last year in their weedeater bowl.

Baylor had a bye week I guess which is probably about equal to their pitifully pathetic OOC

Stool State got 7 TOs and scored 28 points in the 4th (up 41-7 at the end of the 3nd) to beat UTSA by 69-14 (at least they didn't play a school with Central before the state and didn't break the 70 point barrier to get some Stupica wrath). Their last TD was a fumble return for a TD, but their 1st TD in the 4th was a passing play. I guess Gundy got pissed about UTSA finally scoring a TD to blunt their shut out.

The Sooners had over 700 yards total offense but our D gave up over 600 yards and 31 first downs to freakin' Tulsa. I know the pumpers are saying a win is a win especially against a team with supposedly an offensive genius as their head coach, a very good QB and very good receivers but is Tulsa really that good?

It looks to me like our D (and D staff) was/were probably getting too many pats on the back this week for their performance against Tennessee last week and didn't come to play (no picks, very little pressure on the QB, and receivers wide open all day with our DBs running to catch them with their backs to the ball.
Also, HITH does Tulsa get supposedly an All-American QB and Receivers and we have to relay on a transfer walk-on -- quality QB? IMO, it just shows how our QB recruiting evaluations have been suspect the last several years and we probably rely on which QB was tearing it up in practice and wasn't really a gamer most of the time.
Our D seems to make at least one team's average QB/year look All-American by not showing up on a Saturday. Hopefully this was the week. Several fans have alluded that we got pushed around physically up front on both sides of the ball by Tulsa until they got gassed. I do think with last year's pitiful offense Tulsa may have Notre Damed us yesterday.

On a side note the Puddys gave up almost 500 yards total O to LaTech and got outgained by ~ 150 yards in a 3 OT 6 point win at home.