PDA

View Full Version : Former OU coaches watch

badger
9/18/2015, 02:41 PM
Was wondering what you all think (or if you've heard anything) regarding...

Brent Venables as Clemson DC
Kevin Wilson as Indiana HC
Mike Leach as Wazzu HC
Jay Norvell as Texas OC
Josh Heupel as Utah State OC
Kevin Sumlin as Texas A&M HC

Regardless of how they left OU I wish them the best

badger
9/18/2015, 02:47 PM
Because I've always been a fan... here's an update on Mike Leach and why Wazzu pretty much can't fire him regardless of that opening loss to Portland State:
http://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-cougars-football/2015/9/5/9267249/fire-mike-leach-contract-washington-state

Leach's contract runs for four more years after this one through 2019, meaning if he is fired at the end of the season, the school appears to owe him $1.2 million per year -- $4.8 million total.

When you consider the money it would cost to make Leach go away, plus the money it would cost to hire a replacement, combined with the currently insolvent state of the athletic department ... simply put, without a large donation from a wealthy donor who really wants Mike Leach out the door, Washington State won't be able to afford to fire Leach anytime soon.

Yes, Wazzu athletics are insolvent:
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/jan/10/wsu-runs-13-million-dollar-deficit-for-athletics/

Uncommon expenditures on coaching salaries, buyouts and debt service left Washington State University’s athletic department with a $13 million deficit at the end of last year.

WSU’s revenue rose from $45.7 million in 2013 to about $47.3 million in 2014. However, the spending on WSU sports soared to $59.7 million last year – $10 million more than in 2013.

I'm not really sure what this season holds for Coach Leach, but it seems that he will have time to get better... or get worse.

Soonerjeepman
9/18/2015, 02:47 PM
Venables..bowl game last year...nough said. ugh!
Wilson...yes good luck, it's indiana...they still love Larry Bird
Leach...to bad pirate ships don't land on the west coast...
Norvell...suck it, he's a horn now..
Heupel...like Wilson, good luck, it's utah state..
Sumlin...suck it, it's the sec and yes, they kick our butt in the bowl game...

actually as long as they don't beat OU, more power to them...

cvsooner
9/18/2015, 03:20 PM
Brent Venables as Clemson DC...his defense is doing very well. Led the nation last year, and did a bang up job mostly on Louisville last night. Ranked 22nd in the country after three games. (Everybody ahead of them has played only two. Giving up so far about 250 yards per game...and defense has given up exactly ten points per contest.) Offense and special teams seem to be the problem there. Maybe much of BV's difficulties had more to do with being in the Big 12 and HC BS's choice of assistant coaches?
Kevin Wilson as Indiana HC...I hear Wilson's seat is pretty hot, but who else is going to do it? Indiana has been relevant in football never, outside of South Bend.
Mike Leach as Wazzu HC...that program is always going to be a wreck. I think you're right that they cannot afford to fire him. Plus, for whom?
Jay Norvell as Texas OC...Whorn O did look better against Rice, than ND, but it's Rice. We'll see how they look against UCLA. I hope he has a disaster on his hands on Oct. 10, but otherwise I don't hold anything against him.
Josh Heupel as Utah State OC...the Aggies have not looked good on offense even with ace signal caller Chuckie Keeton at the controls. Admittedly he's playing hurt, which says a lot about the state of the program there. Guess we'll see.
Kevin Sumlin as Texas A&M HC...Sumlin looks like he's built quite the program there. They looked impressive against Ariz. State and thumped Ball State pretty good. First real test for them may not happen until Oct. 17 when they play Bama. But Sumlin is clearly at this point the most successful of the Stoops coachiing tree.