PDA

View Full Version : Exxon - From pioneer in global warming to one of the lead obfuscator's

Serenity Now
9/18/2015, 11:43 AM
http://insideclimatenews.org/news/15092015/Exxons-own-research-confirmed-fossil-fuels-role-in-global-warming

At a meeting in Exxon Corporation's headquarters, a senior company scientist named James F. Black addressed an audience of powerful oilmen. Speaking without a text as he flipped through detailed slides, Black delivered a sobering message: carbon dioxide from the world's use of fossil fuels would warm the planet and could eventually endanger humanity.

"In the first place, there is general scientific agreement that the most likely manner in which mankind is influencing the global climate is through carbon dioxide release from the burning of fossil fuels," Black told Exxon's Management Committee, according to a written version he recorded later.

It was July 1977 when Exxon's leaders received this blunt assessment, well before most of the world had heard of the looming climate crisis.

A year later, Black, a top technical expert in Exxon's Research & Engineering division, took an updated version of his presentation to a broader audience. He warned Exxon scientists and managers that independent researchers estimated a doubling of the carbon dioxide (CO2) concentration in the atmosphere would increase average global temperatures by 2 to 3 degrees Celsius (4 to 5 degrees Fahrenheit), and as much as 10 degrees Celsius (18 degrees Fahrenheit) at the poles. Rainfall might get heavier in some regions, and other places might turn to desert.

And:
Exxon responded swiftly. Within months the company launched its own extraordinary research into carbon dioxide from fossil fuels and its impact on the earth. Exxon's ambitious program included both empirical CO2 sampling and rigorous climate modeling. It assembled a brain trust that would spend more than a decade deepening the company's understanding of an environmental problem that posed an existential threat to the oil business.

To:
With alarm bells suddenly ringing, Exxon started financing efforts to amplify doubt about the state of climate science.

Exxon helped to found and lead the Global Climate Coalition, an alliance of some of the world's largest companies seeking to halt government efforts to curb fossil fuel emissions. Exxon used the American Petroleum Institute, right-wing think tanks, campaign contributions and its own lobbying to push a narrative that climate science was too uncertain to necessitate cuts in fossil fuel emissions.

As the international community moved in 1997 to take a first step in curbing emissions with the Kyoto Protocol, Exxon's chairman and CEO Lee Raymond argued to stop it.

"Let's agree there's a lot we really don't know about how climate will change in the 21st century and beyond," Raymond said in his speech before the World Petroleum Congress in Beijing in October 1997.
Reminds me of the science that linked cigarettes to cancer and the scientists/doctors/companies that spent $ and reputation trying to cast doubt on the science.

I'm not a raving tree hugger. I think that we MAY be impacting the earth's climate. What I am afraid is that we are impacting the ability of the earth to heal itself. A healthy young person who loses a limb through trauma heals up fast. A diabetes ravaged person who loses a limb does not.

REDREX
9/18/2015, 12:20 PM
Nothing like an article about a meeting from 38 years ago----Was this after the next ice age articles in the 1970's?

BoulderSooner79
9/18/2015, 12:45 PM
I really don't understand how people can doubt that humans can impact the earth on a large scale. All you have to look at is how we can trash air quality and fresh water quality. We can drain underground aquifers, strip mine mountains, dam rivers until they no longer reach the ocean. We can plow up vast amount of prairie and clear cut forests. Why would the climate be so much larger than our reach? In fact, all those other things I mentioned all impact climate to some extent. I just hope the scientific community keeps plugging along obtaining better data and refining their models and ignoring the shrills that have monetary conflicts and political ties. The scientific method will prevail eventually and this is a long term issue.

Serenity Now
9/18/2015, 01:40 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2006/sep/19/ethicalliving.g2
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/04/10/now-fox-news-is-defending-tobacco-cancer-denial/198843
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/03/08/how-the-merchants-of-doubt-push-climate-denial/202792

An infamous 1969 memo from a tobacco executive read: "Doubt is our product since it is the best means of competing with the 'body of fact' that exists in the minds of the general public. It is also the means of establishing a controversy."

Inhofe.

Serenity Now
9/18/2015, 01:42 PM
Nothing like an article about a meeting from 38 years ago----Was this after the next ice age articles in the 1970's?

The point is that Exxon had solid knowledge and spent millions on research in the 1970's and 1980's but then got rid of that side of the business and spent millions trying to cast doubts into what they had already documented. The same playbook that the tobacco industry used. Do you doubt the link from cigs to cancer?

olevetonahill
9/18/2015, 01:53 PM
There is NO doubt in my mind that the climate is changing. Now is it 100% mans fault? Or maybe moren likely a 50- 50 type deal
Again another subject that just stirs controversy. We can Each only do a small amount of Improvement to help the world, But when there are at least a 100 people who DGAF to every ONE that does, its kinda a losing effort. Then throw in all the Countries that dont even try to reign in Business's in their region and we gonna have it just get worse.

As far as bringin up a 40 year old memo proving a Company Lied,Hid and other wise Obfuscated Facts, Is like bringin up LBJ and his lies about the Great Society.
Companies and Politicians LIE.

Serenity Now
9/18/2015, 02:51 PM
There is NO doubt in my mind that the climate is changing. Now is it 100% mans fault? Or maybe moren likely a 50- 50 type deal
Again another subject that just stirs controversy. We can Each only do a small amount of Improvement to help the world, But when there are at least a 100 people who DGAF to every ONE that does, its kinda a losing effort. Then throw in all the Countries that dont even try to reign in Business's in their region and we gonna have it just get worse.

As far as bringin up a 40 year old memo proving a Company Lied,Hid and other wise Obfuscated Facts, Is like bringin up LBJ and his lies about the Great Society.
Companies and Politicians LIE.

You miss the point. Yes, this started almost 40 years ago. Jim Inhofe is OUR Senator. He's the chair of the environment and public works committee. He's a denial loon. I'd have more respect for the viewpoint akin to yours, "yes, we need to do something....we will do it in conjunction with the rest of the world." That's not what the mainstream of the GOP is doing. They're denying that we are impacting it. Hell, Inhofe references that God would not allow it. He should go wrangle landing strips in secondary airports and get off of the Senate.

REDREX
9/18/2015, 02:52 PM
The point is that Exxon had solid knowledge and spent millions on research in the 1970's and 1980's but then got rid of that side of the business and spent millions trying to cast doubts into what they had already documented. The same playbook that the tobacco industry used. Do you doubt the link from cigs to cancer?---Get real ----The environment has been changing for millions of years---Did man cause those changes too?

Serenity Now
9/18/2015, 02:55 PM
---Get real ----The environment has been changing for millions of years---Did man cause those changes too?

You should get real, Jim. Until the last 100 years the earth was able to go through natural processes to address it's "issues". We're part of the problem now. Putting your head in the sand won't change that.

REDREX
9/18/2015, 02:58 PM
You miss the point. Yes, this started almost 40 years ago. Jim Inhofe is OUR Senator. He's the chair of the environment and public works committee. He's a denial loon. I'd have more respect for the viewpoint akin to yours, "yes, we need to do something....we will do it in conjunction with the rest of the world." That's not what the mainstream of the GOP is doing. They're denying that we are impacting it. Hell, Inhofe references that God would not allow it. He should go wrangle landing strips in secondary airports and get off of the Senate.---Why are their only "denial loons"-----What about "environmental loons" ?-----Maybe we should limit the world population to say one billion people would that solve the problem?

olevetonahill
9/18/2015, 03:17 PM
---Why are their only "denial loons"-----What about "environmental loons" ?-----Maybe we should limit the world population to say one billion people would that solve the problem?

This^ SN is why I Make fun of Libs. Only THEIR view point is valid.

olevetonahill
9/18/2015, 03:18 PM
You miss the point. Yes, this started almost 40 years ago. Jim Inhofe is OUR Senator. He's the chair of the environment and public works committee. He's a denial loon. I'd have more respect for the viewpoint akin to yours, "yes, we need to do something....we will do it in conjunction with the rest of the world." That's not what the mainstream of the GOP is doing. They're denying that we are impacting it. Hell, Inhofe references that God would not allow it. He should go wrangle landing strips in secondary airports and get off of the Senate.

Like I said YOU just want to stir up controversy.`You go girl.

Serenity Now
9/18/2015, 03:20 PM
Came across the link in a twitter news feed. It's interesting and, if read, could actually stretch the pre-conceived notions of some who are "set in their ways". We should totally put a picture of Hillary on here and make fun of her. That's a much more effective use of this place.

To quote the great Sheriff, Buford T. Justice, "do the letters F O mean anything to you?"

olevetonahill
9/18/2015, 03:26 PM
Came across the link in a twitter news feed. It's interesting and, if read, could actually stretch the pre-conceived notions of some who are "set in their ways". We should totally put a picture of Hillary on here and make fun of her. That's a much more effective use of this place.

To quote the great Sheriff, Buford T. Justice, "do the letters F O mean anything to you?"

billiary says she will drank to that
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/serr8d/photochops/Hillary_whiskey.jpg

BoulderSooner79
9/18/2015, 04:53 PM
---Why are their only "denial loons"-----What about "environmental loons" ?-----Maybe we should limit the world population to say one billion people would that solve the problem?

Yes, it would. That's about the time population hit exponential growth and human impact exceeded natural ability to absorb it. Clearly not a path to take voluntarily, but it would solve the problem.

REDREX
9/18/2015, 05:09 PM
Yes, it would. That's about the time population hit exponential growth and human impact exceeded natural ability to absorb it. Clearly not a path to take voluntarily, but it would solve the problem.---Hell lets just cull the herd----Makes as much sense as many of the other enviro nut job policies

BoulderSooner79
9/18/2015, 05:24 PM
---Hell lets just cull the herd----Makes as much sense as many of the other enviro nut job policies

I wasn't offering it as realistic choice - just answering the question. Clearly, the goal should be to avoid that outcome being imposed upon us, but sometimes I wonder.

dwarthog
9/18/2015, 05:58 PM
Save the Wooly Mammoth!

REDREX
9/18/2015, 06:00 PM
Save the Snail Darter-----How many million people have died because DDT was banned?

Turd_Ferguson
9/18/2015, 06:24 PM
Save the Wooly Mammoth!

It ain't about saving ****. It's about tax, tax and tax.

SicEmBaylor
9/18/2015, 06:34 PM
True story: I used to be an astro-turf activist for Exxon. They pay well.

dwarthog
9/18/2015, 06:53 PM
It ain't about saving ****. It's about tax, tax and tax.

But the Wooly Mammoth was a victim of Climate Change.

If only we could have been around to save them!

Yes, it's about tax, tax, and tax...

champions77
9/18/2015, 08:10 PM
Amazing how it's always leftists that want us to buy into the global warming issue. The movement has been politicized for over 45 years. It was some of the same leftists that came up with the "the coming Ice Age" hysteria of the early 1970's, albeit older now. The Global Warming" Theory was undermined due to record low temperatures all over the world, so they were forced to change this scheme to "Climate Change". Next the data supporting this theory was again disputed when emails were intercepted Showing evidence of "data manipulation" by the ones promoting Global Warming. Further examination revealed that the sensors used to measure temperatures were placed next to Exhaust vents of buildings, populated areas that show high temperatures due to buildings, parking lots and vehicle traffic, registering higher temps than if placed in Areas unaffected by human activity, And the constant drum beat of "act now or we are doomed" demands of immediate action, the tired old "99 % of scientists" believe the earth's climate is changing so it must be true" Diatribe. The fact is that you may have 99% of scientists believe the planet's climate is changing, who can dispute that, it's always changed, but upon closer examination, only 50% believe it's due to human activity.
So this Begs the question, why does the left push this issue? Cap and trade, which would be one of the largest tax increases, power grabs in U.S. History. Any questions?

REDREX
9/18/2015, 08:27 PM
But Al Gore has to fly around in his G-4 to tell us about the danger of climate change

hawaii 5-0
9/18/2015, 09:12 PM
But Al Gore has to fly around in his G-4 to tell us about the danger of climate change

The Pope will be here next week preachin' the same message. How many of y'all gonna denounce the Pope ?

5-0

Serenity Now
9/18/2015, 10:45 PM
Merchants of doubt.

Much like the Koch's have convinced the base that they share the same planks.

FaninAma
9/18/2015, 11:43 PM
Global warming is a crock and the global warning cultists will end up hurting the most poor among us by increasing the cost of energy. But that's their goal isn't it?

Turd_Ferguson
9/19/2015, 12:00 AM
The Pope will be here next week preachin' the same message. How many of y'all gonna denounce the Pope ?

5-0

He's also against abortion and doesn't condone gay marriage...you going to denounce him for that or just cherry pick?

Serenity Now
9/19/2015, 12:30 AM
Global warming is a crock and the global warning cultists will end up hurting the most poor among us by increasing the cost of energy. But that's their goal isn't it?
Are you one of those scientists who used to try to say that tobacco didn't lead to cancer?

olevetonahill
9/19/2015, 01:02 AM
---Hell lets just cull the herd----Makes as much sense as many of the other enviro nut job policies

May I suggest we start with Libs and Mooslums?

REDREX
9/19/2015, 09:01 AM
Merchants of doubt.

Much like the Koch's have convinced the base that they share the same planks.---What do you know about the Kochs---Get off the talking points

REDREX
9/19/2015, 09:03 AM
He's also against abortion and doesn't condone gay marriage...you going to denounce him for that or just cherry pick?---They will just Cherry Pick typical Liberals

dwarthog
9/19/2015, 09:37 AM
Merchants of doubt.

Much like the Koch's have convinced the base that they share the same planks.

I'm not sure folks here disagree about there being climate change.

Rebranding AGW into climate change to cover those little misses in the "settled science" is the issue here.

Remember how Kartina was labeled as the harbriger of more frequent and more power hurricanes? Kind of a miss on that one, along with the little lull predicted for rising temps.

There can be a discussion but not if one side insists they are right and that it's "settled" and then try to shout down and condemn anyone who points out the flaws and errors in the data and the model.

Then Obama flys off to Alaska to give a save the glaciers speech. A glacier that been receding for hundreds of years is suddenly due to anthropogenic causes.

Making up crap then expecting folks to buy into isn't the way to get a point across.

olevetonahill
9/19/2015, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure folks here disagree about there being climate change.

Rebranding AGW into climate change to cover those little misses in the "settled science" is the issue here.

Remember how Kartina was labeled as the harbriger of more frequent and more power hurricanes? Kind of a miss on that one, along with the little lull predicted for rising temps.

There can be a discussion but not if one side insists they are right and that it's "settled" and then try to shout down and condemn anyone who points out the flaws and errors in the data and the model.

Then Obama flys off to Alaska to give a save the glaciers speech. A glacier that been receding for hundreds of years is suddenly due to anthropogenic causes.

Making up crap then expecting folks to buy into isn't the way to get a point across.

Now you see why i Just make fun of the idiot? I gave him what I consider a reasoned answer and He he just came back with "Im Right, Your wrong" Type of response.

hawaii 5-0
9/19/2015, 01:08 PM
He's also against abortion and doesn't condone gay marriage...you going to denounce him for that or just cherry pick?

I'm not Catholic and don't have to agree with the Pope on all things.

I'm not part of the 3% that believes that Global Warning doesn't exist.

Why trust science when you can trust a crooked politician ? They know better than anyone.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
9/19/2015, 01:29 PM

Since I moved to Hawaii in '88 I've never seen Hawaii dodge as many Hurricanes this season as in years past.

5-0

SicEmBaylor
9/19/2015, 01:47 PM
I don't consider myself to be a person who rejects science; however, when you look at the politics behind global warming research it should give everyone at least a little pause. Let's be open minded here and just consider the possibility that group-think has over estimated and over exaggerated the threat of man-made climate change. There's a lot of money, a lot of grants, and a lot of reputations at stake that are dependent upon the narrative of conventional climate change theory remaining unchanged.

The fact is, there are plenty of reputable climatologists out there who have alternative theories. Is the preponderance of evidence on the side of climate change theorists? Absolutely. But let's not continue claiming that climate change theory is set-in-stone established beyond a reasonable doubt and scientifically proven fact -- it isn't.

I need to see a lot more before I buy into the theory. I, personally, don't accept climate change theory; however, I'm certainly open to the possibility that I'm wrong. So many climate change models in the past have proven to be wrong and never come to fruition. I mean...go back ten years and the claims were that New York City would be underwater by now. That's hardly a good track record.

dwarthog
9/19/2015, 02:57 PM
Since I moved to Hawaii in '88 I've never seen Hawaii dodge as many Hurricanes this season as in years past.

5-0

I can appreciate your experience but the Pacific wasn't where the doom and gloom call was made.

hawaii 5-0
9/19/2015, 03:52 PM
I can appreciate your experience but the Pacific wasn't where the doom and gloom call was made.

I was thinking in Global Warming terms. Please excuse me for being so global.

Another one is developing as I type.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
9/19/2015, 03:59 PM
I need to see a lot more before I buy into the theory. I, personally, don't accept climate change theory; however, I'm certainly open to the possibility that I'm wrong.

I wasn't so convinced until I saw the pictures of the glacial reduction in Alaska. In the last 20 years it's pretty dramatic.

5-0

Serenity Now
9/19/2015, 05:36 PM
There are environmental loons.

REDREX
9/19/2015, 06:01 PM
There are environmental loons.---Why because they don't agree with you?

Serenity Now
9/19/2015, 06:59 PM
---Why because they don't agree with you?

I'm fairly moderate environmentally. I just think we are hindering the earths ability to adjust itself and we are putting our head in the sand as to what may or not be happening.

There are loons on both side of the issue.

dwarthog
9/20/2015, 02:34 PM
I was thinking in Global Warming terms. Please excuse me for being so global.

Another one is developing as I type.

5-0

Great. We'll talk globally then.

http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes

2. Global Warming and Tropical Cyclone Activity Around the Globe

The main focus of this web page is on Atlantic hurricane activity and global warming. However, an important question concerns whether global warming has or will substantially affect tropical cyclone activity in other basins.

In terms of historical tropical cyclone activity, a 2010 WMO assessment of tropical cyclones and climate change concluded that "it remains uncertain whether past changes in tropical cyclone activity have exceeded the variability expected from natural causes." This conclusion applied to all basins around the globe.

Serenity Now
9/20/2015, 02:37 PM
Great. We'll talk globally then.

http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes
Then, case closed. LOL

It's really more about ice and melting.

dwarthog
9/20/2015, 02:54 PM
Then, case closed. LOL

It's really more about ice and melting.

Wooly Mammoths just can't catch a break can they? :-)

FaninAma
9/21/2015, 10:32 AM
Are you one of those scientists who used to try to say that tobacco didn't lead to cancer?

That's a silly straw man. But then you knew that when you posted it.

If this is the result of global warming or global climate change then give me more of it. In Ada we've had 60 inches of rain this year and we have had maybe 2 to 3 days with temperatures above 100 this summer.

FaninAma
9/21/2015, 10:41 AM
I'm not Catholic and don't have to agree with the Pope on all things.

I'm not part of the 3% that believes that Global Warning doesn't exist.

Why trust science when you can trust a crooked politician ? They know better than anyone.

5-0

You can take this hockey stick and, well do whatever you want to do with it.
http://news.heartland.org/newspaper-article/2004/09/01/nature-admits-widely-cited-global-warming-graph-was-erroneous

BTW, some very serious scientists are actually prediciting a mini ice age by 2030 because of decreasing solar activity.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/global-freezing-a-mini-ice-age-is-on-the-way-by-2030-scientists-say-2015-07-13

And about that 3% claim about deniers:
http://www.forbes.com/sites#/sites/jamestaylor/2013/05/30/global-warming-alarmists-caught-doctoring-97-percent-consensus-claims/

You just need to face the facts that you support a movement primarily made up of political hacks who use intimidation, false facts and all sorts of d0uch*baggerey to promote their agenda.

Serenity Now
9/21/2015, 11:10 AM
You can take this hockey stick and, well do whatever you want to do with it.
http://news.heartland.org/newspaper-article/2004/09/01/nature-admits-widely-cited-global-warming-graph-was-erroneous

BTW, some very serious scientists are actually prediciting a mini ice age by 2030 because of decreasing solar activity.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/global-freezing-a-mini-ice-age-is-on-the-way-by-2030-scientists-say-2015-07-13

I think solar activity has WAY more to do with our climate than any human activity. I look at the little ice age in the early 1800's for evidence of that. However, I still think that we need to NOT damage the earth so that it can react to things like solar variability, asteroids, volcanoes, etc. as the good Lord designed it.

Rain in Ada, OK and a cool, moist summer like we had in the US and even early snow falls don't mean anything. Increasing CO2 leads to more weather variability.

The tobacco thing you don't like because it's true. There is ACTUALLY a link between the two denial movements. You want to ignore it and put it in a place where you don't have to defend it because it's indefensible. It would be like me defending the growth of welfare. No one seems to ask but I think we have too many people on disability and too many people on long term welfare. I don't know how to fix it but it's a problem. It's one of many problems.

champions77
9/21/2015, 01:12 PM
I think solar activity has WAY more to do with our climate than any human activity. I look at the little ice age in the early 1800's for evidence of that. However, I still think that we need to NOT damage the earth so that it can react to things like solar variability, asteroids, volcanoes, etc. as the good Lord designed it.

Rain in Ada, OK and a cool, moist summer like we had in the US and even early snow falls don't mean anything. Increasing CO2 leads to more weather variability.

The tobacco thing you don't like because it's true. There is ACTUALLY a link between the two denial movements. You want to ignore it and put it in a place where you don't have to defend it because it's indefensible. It would be like me defending the growth of welfare. No one seems to ask but I think we have too many people on disability and too many people on long term welfare. I don't know how to fix it but it's a problem. It's one of many problems.

But as any objective thinking American would say, like all problems, you prioritize it. And climate change falls way down on the list. Contrary to what the Great Messiah says, it is not more of a threat than Isis, or Islamic Terrorism. That is such a ridiculous statement, where is Chuck Todd or George Stephanopoulos with that microphone in the Messiah's face?
Glad we can agree on the Solar activity as having way more to do with climate change than human activity. Now can you agree that it is another "power grab" by the left that incentivizes them to use climate change as a way to increase the scope and control the Feds have?
The Socialist utopia that many aspire to in this country can only work (in their eyes) if the Federal government has control of most everything. They see it as the more control they have, they better it is for the masses, all for the "greater good" of course. Cap and Trade would be a huge increase in control. Of course with more control, comes more power. It's all part of the plan to turn this country's economy to collectivism.

Serenity Now
9/21/2015, 01:22 PM
But as any objective thinking American would say, like all problems, you prioritize it. And climate change falls way down on the list. Contrary to what the Great Messiah says, it is not more of a threat than Isis, or Islamic Terrorism. That is such a ridiculous statement, where is Chuck Todd or George Stephanopoulos with that microphone in the Messiah's face?
Glad we can agree on the Solar activity as having way more to do with climate change than human activity. Now can you agree that it is another "power grab" by the left that incentivizes them to use climate change as a way to increase the scope and control the Feds have?
The Socialist utopia that many aspire to in this country can only work (in their eyes) if the Federal government has control of most everything. They see it as the more control they have, they better it is for the masses, all for the "greater good" of course. Cap and Trade would be a huge increase in control. Of course with more control, comes more power. It's all part of the plan to turn this country's economy to collectivism.

I don't like cap and trade. I'd like to think we can come up with a way to engage China, Russia, etc. But, doing nothing is worse. And, there are many issues that are more pressing. But, we can't eat our plate one vegetable at a time. We are civilized.

I missed the Great Messiah's return. I was under the belief that Revelation was a combination of 7 letters written by Paul to the churches during the time of Nero. A story of hope amid hell on earth.