PDA

View Full Version : Friends Had to Leave the Game Early Due to the Behavior of Other Fans. OU Fans.

Judge Smails
9/14/2015, 05:27 PM
Talked to a friend of mine who went to the game and I jokingly asked him if he left the game early, and he said "Yes, we left at halftime.."

After figuring out he wasn't joking, I asked if he left because of the way the game was going but he said he and his wife had to leave early because of the behavior of some other fans.

I said "Well, you know how those Tennessee fans are." and he says "No, these were OU fans."

He said there were two guys sitting in front of him that would not sit down no matter what. Someone behind them tapped this guy on the shoulder and asked them to please sit down, and the guy turns around and goes ballistic on my friend and his wife saying "If you don't like your tickets, you should have bought other tickets!"

They didn't think they were drunk, but they were very belligerent and proceeded to intentionally block their view the rest of the first half by remaining standing and continually waving their hands. If you're like me, I don't remember a whole lot of the first half to cheer about.

One of them was apparently about 6'4" and 280 and kept saying "Don't mess with the bear! Don't mess with the bear!"

They finally left the game at halftime out of frustration and went across the street to a bar to finish watching the game.

Did anyone else witness this? I've heard other OU fans had to report some other OU fans to the police.

What kind of *******s do we have representing the State and the University?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/14/2015, 05:35 PM
nice post!

winout
9/14/2015, 05:38 PM
Best thing to do is just apologize to those within earshot. Most fans understand.

hawaii 5-0
9/14/2015, 05:53 PM
Glad most OU fans are stand-up.

5-0

olevetonahill
9/14/2015, 06:18 PM
Hells Bells, Im 65 Bad knees and a bad back and I STAND pretty much thruout a Game.

Turd_Ferguson
9/14/2015, 06:50 PM
6'4 and 280, ****'n with old peeps. You're already stand'n 18" above him. Pop that fat bastard in the nose and hope some other old peeps jump in :D

rock on sooner
9/14/2015, 06:50 PM
Hells Bells, Im 65 Bad knees and a bad back and I STAND pretty much thruout a Game.

Welp, I've got five years on Vet and I stand, in my family room, in front of my 60" flat
screen, with no lines in front of my bathroom or in front of my fridge! Nobody complains,
wudn't do'm any gud!!!!! Boomer Sooner! :cheerful::biggrin::tongue::smile:

olevetonahill
9/14/2015, 07:40 PM
Welp, I've got five years on Vet and I stand, in my family room, in front of my 60" flat
screen, with no lines in front of my bathroom or in front of my fridge! Nobody complains,
wudn't do'm any gud!!!!! Boomer Sooner! :cheerful::biggrin::tongue::smile:

I cant even Imagine some OU fans complaining about other who stand.

olevetonahill
9/14/2015, 07:41 PM
6'4 and 280, ****'n with old peeps. You're already stand'n 18" above him. Pop that fat bastard in the nose and hope some other old peeps jump in :D

Sounds Like the Old Peeps were ****in with them IMHO :cheerful:

Turd_Ferguson
9/14/2015, 08:25 PM
Sounds Like the Old Peeps were ****in with them IMHO :cheerful:

True. Guess the blue hairs shoulda got better tickets. :D

TAFBSooner
9/14/2015, 08:27 PM

I'm a youngster of 59. I can't SIT for a half. I was behind a drunken Vol who stood most the time, so no problemo.

I was gonna say a loud drunken Vol, but he was only loud before that last interception.

rock on sooner
9/14/2015, 08:35 PM
I cant even Imagine some OU fans complaining about other who stand.

Last time I wuz at Jack Trice, stood the whole game, wifey dint (bad knee) but
good Sooners saw and accommodated...my bucket list still has "one more game"
at Norman....

Have to say, since the grandkids came along, We let the son and daughter-in-law
(both ISU alums) go to the game and Grandpa & Gramma get the best deal...we
get the boys, enjoy on teevee, get to snuggle when they get tired....can't beat it!!!!

yermom
9/14/2015, 08:40 PM
Our section stood up most of the game.

Expecting people to sit on their hands in front of you seems like a recipe for a bad time.

Maybe I've spent too much time at GA concerts. I had to deal with Frank Romero in front of me at a Tenacious D show once. I made due :)

Rogue
9/14/2015, 09:14 PM
I've never understood complaining about fans standing in front of you. Stand on up yourself, or stay home. But don't make them out to be jerks because they want to stand to watch the game.

olevetonahill
9/14/2015, 10:13 PM
Last time I wuz at Jack Trice, stood the whole game, wifey dint (bad knee) but
good Sooners saw and accommodated...my bucket list still has "one more game"
at Norman....

Have to say, since the grandkids came along, We let the son and daughter-in-law
(both ISU alums) go to the game and Grandpa & Gramma get the best deal...we
get the boys, enjoy on teevee, get to snuggle when they get tired....can't beat it!!!!

Winnah! My Grandsons are 14 an 16 Time to take em LOL
'

olevetonahill
9/14/2015, 10:15 PM
I've never understood complaining about fans standing in front of you. Stand on up yourself, or stay home. But don't make them out to be jerks because they want to stand to watch the game.

Yup Holly Hell !!!!! If Ya AINT gonna stand then STAY HOME with the Grandkids!

BigTip
9/15/2015, 07:49 AM
I would hope that if someone asked me to sit down I would not be a dick telling them I am compelled to stand.

"Sorry buddy, I need to stand. Join me!" Something like that.

oupride
9/15/2015, 08:49 AM
One of them was apparently about 6'4" and 280 and kept saying "Don't mess with the bear! Don't mess with the bear!"

Don't mess with the bear?

ouduckhunter
9/15/2015, 08:52 AM
I would hope that if someone asked me to sit down I would not be a dick telling them I am compelled to stand.

"Sorry buddy, I need to stand. Join me!" Something like that.

Same here. I don't get the mentality that I came to a football game, and want to sit down the entire time, and take it easy. And I'm borderline an old geezer myself.

Curly Bill
9/15/2015, 08:57 AM
I do get the mentality of why would you want someone standing up in front of you the whole time? I'm a bit of the: You paid for a seat - use it, school of thought.

But whatever, I've mostly quit going to games because people in large groups tend to be stupid anyway.

...and you young punks stay off my lawn!!!

Phil
9/15/2015, 09:32 AM
Unless there's a medical reason why you can't stand, you should never, ever complain about someone standing in front of you at a game. It's part of the deal. They stand, you stand. No complaining.

KantoSooner
9/15/2015, 09:46 AM
I agree that standing is nothing to be complained about. You want to sit with an unimpeded view? stay home, go to a bar, early, and get a good seat, or pay for a VIP box. Period.
That said, may I suggest that the gentlemanly thing to do if possible is to offer to swap seats with folks right behind you if they're put out. You'll be only one row further away and they might be happy. Seems a small price to pay.

swardboy
9/15/2015, 09:47 AM
Seems like it'd be easy to push a tall, fat guy over and watch him fall a few rows down.

I'll never attend a game in person because of the arrogance of the peanut brained crowd.

olevetonahill
9/15/2015, 09:55 AM
Like Phil said, If ya cant stand then stay home. Ive never had a Prob at a Game. Mainly cause I stood when everyone else did.
My Old knees and **** started hurting I'd make sure to sit down for a bit in between plays

Phil
9/15/2015, 10:05 AM
Seems like it'd be easy to push a tall, fat guy over and watch him fall a few rows down.

It sure would have been easy in that upper deck at Tennessee. Steepest stadium I've ever seen. Handrails on every row, and rightly so.

ouduckhunter
9/15/2015, 11:16 AM
It sure would have been easy in that upper deck at Tennessee. Steepest stadium I've ever seen. Handrails on every row, and rightly so.

If it was steeper than the Huskies stadium in Seattle, I'm truly impressed. I was scared going up to our seats in Seattle.

Pride1Mom
9/15/2015, 11:53 AM
I am 70, and not only do I stand, but I jump up and down!!!! I am also probably the loudest in our section. Everyone looks to see who it is, I am the dorky woman with the radio headset on.

Phil
9/15/2015, 12:07 PM
If it was steeper than the Huskies stadium in Seattle, I'm truly impressed. I was scared going up to our seats in Seattle.

We were in the end zone there, so didn't see that upper deck.

badger
9/15/2015, 12:17 PM
If they were standing on the bleachers and were six and a half feet tall, you would have a complaint. Take it to the stadium attendants or law enforcement and they will handle it better than you ever could.

If it's just people standing, there's not much you can do at any stadium in the country. It's nice to sit if everyone behind you is sitting and it isn't an exciting moment in the game, but quite frankly, there were very few dull moments of Saturday's game.

If this is the worse fans had to deal with at an opposing stadium, count your lucky stars. UCLA fans were awful in 2005 and I heard from 2006 Oregon travelers that they were even worse. I'd say it's a Pac 12 problem but Warshington fans a few years ago were really great. Poor Huskies had an 0-fer season that year, so that might have helped.

FaninAma
9/15/2015, 01:07 PM
Ah yes, the annual "stand or don't stand" debate. Personally I am fine either way. It depends on the people around me and in front of me. I'll stand for important plays but if everybody else is sitting I will sit down afterwards because you know what a go-along to get-along kind of guy I am. If everybody wants to stand up then that's fine, too.

We did have a group of older Nebraska fans tell us to sit down in the 2000 OU-Husker game. That is the only time I made a point of being contrary with fans around me.

BermudaSooner
9/15/2015, 01:16 PM
Ah yes, the annual "stand or don't stand" debate. Peesonally I am fine either way. It depends on the people around me and in front of me. I'll stand for important plays but if everybody else is sitting I will sit down afterwards because you know what a go-along to get-along kind of guy I am. If everybody wants to stand up then that's fine, too.

We did have a group of older Nebraska fans tell us to sit down in the 2000 OU-Husker game. That is the only time a made a point of being contrary with fans around me.

Agree with this. It does sound like Bear is quite a dick, too.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/15/2015, 01:51 PM
Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma
Ah yes, the annual "stand or don't stand" debate. Personally I am fine either way. It depends on the people around me and in front of me. I'll stand for important plays but if everybody else is sitting I will sit down afterwards because you know what a go-along to get-along kind of guy I am. If everybody wants to stand up then that's fine, too.

We did have a group of older Nebraska fans tell us to sit down in the 2000 OU-Husker game. That is the only time a made a point of being contrary with fans around me.
Agree with this. It does sound like Bear is quite a dick, too.Pretty much. It's nice to not have to stand the whole game, but if you have to in order to see, then it's not a big wup. What's tricky is if you have several fans of the other team in front of you, They will want to stand when you don't. Ah, the pitfalls of going to a game live!

cvsooner
9/15/2015, 03:26 PM
All the more reason for me to stay home and watch on my electric teevee machine.

oupride
9/15/2015, 04:04 PM
This is why I stand
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KIo9bfhvhVthcASAAsnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByZW c0dGJtBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMQ--?p=Ou+Vs+Texas+A%26m+2002&vid=5b97bfe1647efe60a2b00826f04ccedc&turl=http%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DWN. Jury%252feMq1aWoFKSBMoe9ww%26pid%3D15.1%26h%3D206% 26w%3D300%26c%3D7%26rs%3D1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dk 7bjCN1lMPE&tit=aggies+upset+%231+Oklahoma&c=0&h=206&w=300&l=217&sigr=11blgkgnf&sigt=10oqm38as&sigi=12nj9s9da&age=1155529163&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=mozilla&tt=b
One good thing learned from attending those games at A&M. Those SOBs never sit down. (That was painful to watch. Viewer discretion is advised.)

SoonerorLater
9/15/2015, 05:11 PM
So is it OK to stand up to watch in the movie theater?

yermom
9/15/2015, 06:31 PM
If they were standing on the bleachers and were six and a half feet tall, you would have a complaint. Take it to the stadium attendants or law enforcement and they will handle it better than you ever could.

If it's just people standing, there's not much you can do at any stadium in the country. It's nice to sit if everyone behind you is sitting and it isn't an exciting moment in the game, but quite frankly, there were very few dull moments of Saturday's game.

If this is the worse fans had to deal with at an opposing stadium, count your lucky stars. UCLA fans were awful in 2005 and I heard from 2006 Oregon travelers that they were even worse. I'd say it's a Pac 12 problem but Warshington fans a few years ago were really great. Poor Huskies had an 0-fer season that year, so that might have helped.

Oregon fans were terrible if you don't like brats and micro brews.

Seriously they were handing me beers as I walked by the tailgate areas. They were loud as hell in the stadium but they were great outside. Even after the game they were nice.

UCLA fans were dicks.

cvsooner
9/15/2015, 08:09 PM
So is it OK to stand up to watch in the movie theater?

No, but it is apparently okay to text, answer your very large screen smartphone, bring your four-year-old kids to R-rated movies, and talk above a whisper all while putting your feet on the back of my chair. Which is why I go to matinees in the mid-afternoon when the tickets are cheaper, besides.

cvsooner
9/15/2015, 08:10 PM
Oregon fans were terrible if you don't like brats and micro brews.

Seriously they were handing me beers as I walked by the tailgate areas. They were loud as hell in the stadium but they were great outside. Even after the game they were nice.

UCLA fans were dicks.

I didn't have any problem with the UCLA fans in the Rose Bowl myself, nor the Oregon fans in the 2005 Holiday Bowl. The Bozo State fans at the Fiasco Bowl in early 2007, on the other hand...that was a tossup on who was worse, them or the Mountaineers at the even-worse Fiasco Bowl a year later.

yermom
9/15/2015, 08:51 PM
In Eugene the Oregon fans were fun, in San Diego they were more obnoxious, but not bad. Dixon your mouth is still one of the best shirts I have seen. Right up there with Tuck Fexas.

The Boise fans we ran into seemed fine. I don't remember much about the WV fans in Glendale but they were awesome in Morgantown. I think they really wanted to make an impression or something.

bluedogok
9/16/2015, 11:36 PM
No, but it is apparently okay to text, answer your very large screen smartphone, bring your four-year-old kids to R-rated movies, and talk above a whisper all while putting your feet on the back of my chair. Which is why I go to matinees in the mid-afternoon when the tickets are cheaper, besides.
Not at the Alamo Drafthouse Theaters.....

Alamo Drafthouse - She texted. We kicked her out. (http://drafthouse.com/blog/entry/she_texted._we_kicked_her_out)

yermom
9/17/2015, 05:45 AM
Not at the Alamo Drafthouse Theaters.....

Alamo Drafthouse - She texted. We kicked her out. (http://drafthouse.com/blog/entry/she_texted._we_kicked_her_out)

****ing classic.

colleyvillesooner
9/17/2015, 10:51 AM
I only take issue when the person standing is the only one standing all the way to the rail.

Yes, the alternative is just to stand up your self, which is fine, but when you are the ONLY person standing in the section, you're the jerk. You standing the whole time just to do it doesn't help the team or make you better than someone who wants to sit for some of the game. I came to the game to yell and cheer, no where does it say you have to stand the whole time.

To be fair, i do like to stand rather than sit, but I;m aware when im the only one standing and sit down accordingly. In the grand scheme, really not that big a deal.