PDA

View Full Version : Jay Norvell new offensive coordinator at Texsa

cvsooner
9/8/2015, 07:02 PM
Shawn Watson out. Strong just tabbed Norvell as offensive playcaller for 'horns.

Breadburner
9/8/2015, 07:08 PM
Panic has set in......

cvsooner
9/8/2015, 07:10 PM
'horns next five games: Rice, Cal, oSewe, TCU. And then us.

Yeah. Panic indeed.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/8/2015, 07:45 PM
Most people did not understand the Watson hire in the first place.

herecomedajudge
9/8/2015, 08:08 PM
What about Wickline? Thought he told OSU he was OC?

rock on sooner
9/8/2015, 08:20 PM
Wow, just call me Rip Van Winkle...I thought Norvell went to the pros.....

yermom
9/8/2015, 09:03 PM
This is rather curious.

Therealsouthsider
9/8/2015, 10:27 PM
....they should have just hired Mongo and been done with it

ss

Sooner70
9/9/2015, 07:03 AM
Watson was Strong's top offensive assistant at Louisville and came to UT with him. He'll coach QB's now. Wickline will coach OL. Norvell called offensive plays when at UCLA in 2007, and at Nebraska, 2004-2006.

The Houston Chronicle had an article on this move today, and indicated that this may be good news for J. Heard as QB vs Swoopes, as Heard's style fits Norvell's wide open coaching style better vs Watson/Swoopes conservatism which has lead to nowhere.

Someone tell me again. Why did Stoops release Norvell? I heard he was a good coach and recruiter.

My concern is that Texas will tinker and find a solution right before the RRS.

I know one thing. Lots of Texas fans aren't happy with Strong or the AD, Steve Patterson. Actually, I thought Texas Defense held up fairly well for awhile against ND, but they had to stay on the field too long because of ineffective offensive and eventually got gassed and overrun.

badger
9/9/2015, 09:27 AM
There's a lot of Texas angst now because we fired Jay, but as you all recall, Josh was the one in the press box calling plays, while Jay was on the sideline. Not sure what his exact role as co-coordinator was, but it seemed our own angst with play calling last year was with Josh, not Jay.

And it sucked, because he was our national championship winning quarterback :( and now he's not doing great at Utah State either, so... yeah

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/9/2015, 10:30 AM
There's a lot of Texas angst now because we fired Jay, but as you all recall, Josh was the one in the press box calling plays, while Jay was on the sideline. Not sure what his exact role as co-coordinator was, but it seemed our own angst with play calling last year was with Josh, not Jay.

And it sucked, because he was our national championship winning quarterback :( and now he's not doing great at Utah State either, so... yeah

2004-2006 was under Callahan. There is a good chance he didn't call a play then either.

That would leave that hit or miss 2007 year under Dorrell where they'd explode on one team and then not move the ball the next game.

cvsooner
9/9/2015, 11:17 AM
Someone tell me again. Why did Stoops release Norvell? I heard he was a good coach and recruiter.

Half right. Pretty good recruiter but the consensus was his recruits with a few notable exceptions (Kenny Stills, Ryan Broyles, Sterling Shephard) never really developed to anything close to their potential. Broyles wasn't really his recruit but clearly a great receiver; Shephard was/is a legacy and also a great receiver. His best recruits/players outside of Stills were Jalen Saunders and Justin Brown...both transfers.

badger
9/9/2015, 11:33 AM
Most people did not understand the Watson hire in the first place
Reports after yesterday's announcement seem to suggest that he and Strong were friends so he wanted someone he had worked with before... but obviously didn't work out as hoped.

What about Wickline? Thought he told OSU he was OC?
It has been said that if Texas' AD wasn't such a cheapskate that OSU would have settled outside of court long ago and UT wouldn't have had to have Strong testify against his core principles of honesty and accountability and... such and so on. But, Steve Patterson is a money whorn, so UT coaches have had to dance around the issue of who calls the abysmal offense.

Believe me, OSU is paying attention and it is pretty clear that Wickline was not the primary play caller based on yesterday's presser... although it was pretty clear last season too.

cvsooner
9/9/2015, 01:33 PM
You have to think OSewe's attorneys are having gleeful fits of laughter at this latest development. Game, set, match.

aurorasooner
9/9/2015, 02:10 PM
I read an article that HCBS said to Charlie that if he wanted Norvell, he'd better quickly grab him. Loved Norvell's game day sideline enthusiasm but I wasn't to enthused about his his WR x's/o's coaching. I'm not sure about him in calling plays from the booth or how much input he actually had with the play selection. Sounds like they may be on the road to having too many cooks in their offensive kitchen.
Even with our last year's offensive problems, I don't think it was worse than the whorn's offensive problems their last 3 games. Sure hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the Cotton Bowl like Robinson's return on the other side of the ball did 2 years ago.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/9/2015, 02:32 PM
Norvell was bad at either eval, or development..Maybe both.. The best receivers we had during his tenure were not recruited by him. He did well in teaching them to run block I guess..

As far as playcalling, there were 3, sometimes 4 guys involved in calling plays over the last few years...The process was a clusterbomb and resulted in a lot of confused players, penalties, and turnovers.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/9/2015, 02:55 PM
Believe me, OSU is paying attention and it is pretty clear that Wickline was not the primary play caller based on yesterday's presser... although it was pretty clear last season too.

Ring, ring... Mr. Patterson, it is the lead OSU attorney on the line, Something about lateral move and a large settlement from you???

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/9/2015, 05:42 PM
Norvell was bad at either eval, or development..Maybe both.. The best receivers we had during his tenure were not recruited by him. He did well in teaching them to run block I guess..

As far as playcalling, there were 3, sometimes 4 guys involved in calling plays over the last few years...The process was a clusterbomb and resulted in a lot of confused players, penalties, and turnovers.

He was the total opposite of Sumlin. Sumlin got guys to progress but they had zero discipline. Norvell was a total disciplinarian with no progression.

badger
9/10/2015, 09:02 AM
More fun on this topic: OSU is suing for $600,000 but would have settled for $250,000
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/osu-vs-joe-wickline-source-says-wickline-and-texas-refused/article_956afcb8-53c3-5d7d-8bcd-1fda37dfb5bd.html

Once, again, the Texas AD is a tightwad, is a cheapskate, is nickel and diming the richest program in the country, so of course that pricetag was too damn high

Pride1Mom
9/10/2015, 11:46 AM
Norvell was a bust in developing the receivers. Often the reason a pass was intercepted was the receiver was in the wrong place!

Breadburner
9/10/2015, 01:21 PM
Norvell was a bust in developing the receivers. Often the reason a pass was intercepted was the receiver was in the wrong place!

Lol....Right....!!