PDA

View Full Version : The polls: 10 SEC teams ranked in AP; OU is 17/19

badger
9/8/2015, 01:18 PM
Gah.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/ou-no-in-ap-poll-osu-among-teams-receiving-votes/article_13318261-6edd-51e4-b19d-0b59e6ae7943.html

Those damn pollsters better be ready to drop the SEC losers later this season and none of this BS "quality loss" when you lose to a "ranked team" if they're so ready to put them all in the poll for winning opening week.

SEC syndrome is that everyone else sucks until it's time to say how hard your schedule was. Then suddenly, the Wisconsin team you beat in week one was really, really tough! Not as tough as the Wisconsin team Ohio State beat in championship week, but really really tough! That neutral field was TONS more neutral than the one THEY played on.

*groan*

Mac94
9/8/2015, 01:55 PM
Just win and it all takes care of itself. the perception is the perception of the SEC ... and it helps that the SEC went 4-0 against P5 teams in week 1. All OU needs to do is win .. and OU will be fine.

badger
9/8/2015, 02:05 PM
Heh heh has college station wised up after recent years of early hype to the inevitable letdown or are you already working on your 200K stadium expansion ;)

SicEmBaylor
9/8/2015, 02:07 PM
Honesty, I'd put us at 12...tops.

badger
9/8/2015, 02:09 PM
Yeah SicEm it took you way too long to get going against the first-year-coached smoo, but I'd say it took OU a bit too long as well against Akron, so judge not lest ye be judged ;)

swardboy
9/8/2015, 02:11 PM
The Bucknuts are double digit favorites in EVERY game all the way to the playoffs. Many are by +30! What a joke of a conference.

SicEmBaylor
9/8/2015, 02:16 PM
Yeah SicEm it took you way too long to get going against the first-year-coached smoo, but I'd say it took OU a bit too long as well against Akron, so judge not lest ye be judged ;)

To be fair, we shut them out in the second half. CPB usually makes good half time adjustments. The offense was stellar -- our TOP in the 2nd qtr was pretty bad, if I remember correctly. That usually doesn't matter, but the offense still has to be on the field to do anything. SMU was a different team from last year. They're going to surprise some people this season.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2015, 03:03 PM
The Bucknuts are double digit favorites in EVERY game all the way to the playoffs. Many are by +30! What a joke of a conference.

True, but that's nothing against tOSU - they're loaded. Also, things change as the season goes along and MSU is an extremely well coached team. They can close the gap.

Mac94
9/8/2015, 03:04 PM
Heh heh has college station wised up after recent years of early hype to the inevitable letdown or are you already working on your 200K stadium expansion

Lol ... I take nothing for granted ... just happy with the week 1 win over a decent team and that we showed life on defense.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2015, 03:14 PM
Well, we have a chance to knock the Vols off next week's poll. I think LSU and MSU play, and my bet is for MSU to disappear next week.

Soonerjeepman
9/8/2015, 04:31 PM
To be fair, we shut them out in the second half. CPB usually makes good half time adjustments. The offense was stellar -- our TOP in the 2nd qtr was pretty bad, if I remember correctly. That usually doesn't matter, but the offense still has to be on the field to do anything. SMU was a different team from last year. They're going to surprise some people this season.

you sound like a sec team....

I was quite disappointed we only had 17 at half on the zips...named after the zipper on the overshoes..nice. akron is akron...just like smu is smu...

we'll see how "surprising" they'll be at the end of the season. Neither will be above .500

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2015, 05:28 PM
you sound like a sec team....

I was quite disappointed we only had 17 at half on the zips...named after the zipper on the overshoes..nice. akron is akron...just like smu is smu...

we'll see how "surprising" they'll be at the end of the season. Neither will be above .500

The SMU defense barely tested the BU offense just like the Akron offense barely tested our D. BU didn't score in the 2nd because they had one of those Murphy's law quarters - nothing to do with BU capability. It was obvious they would eventually score at will. The main thing I was looking for was how Russell would perform at QB and he was really good. Looked more accurate than Petty to me. Doesn't mean he will stand up to the test when a better defense adds pressure, but I'm sure BU fans were happy.

Likewise, our defense was lightly tested but I liked what I saw so far. I think last years squad would have managed to allow more big plays under similar circumstances. I look forward to the bigger test on Saturday.