PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo - After talk with Barry Switzer, Bob Stoops wore headset less vs. Akron (Dr. Sa

Jenni Carlson
9/8/2015, 08:10 AM
Ever wonder what two championship-winning football coaches talk about when they're together? Well, in the case of former Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer and current Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, headsets was one of the topics they discussed before the 2015 season. According to Stoops, Switzer told him he needed to wear his headset less while on the field. So in the Sooners' 41-3 win over Akron on Saturday, Stoops did just that. “He said sometimes he liked it better, he got a better feel for the game when he wasn't listening to everybody,” Stoops said via the Oklahoman. “And the way we're signaling now, I can get the call without having to hear it. I'll experiment with it, but I kind of like it. I would never have thought of it until talking to Coach about it.” You may remember the flack that former Michigan coach Brady Hoke got in 2014 for not wearing a headset. But let's be honest, that wasn't so much about the headset but the disorganization and chaos that was Michigan football last year. And if Stoops' new offense does what it did against Akron on Saturday throughout the 2015 season, Oklahoma fans will want him to ditch the headset forever. In the team's first game under offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley, a former Texas Tech assistant under Mike Leach who was last East Carolina's offensive coordinator, quarterback Baker Mayfield threw for 388 yards, the most yards any Oklahoma QB has accumulated in a season opener. Mayfield's also new. Saturday was his first start for Oklahoma after transferring from Texas Tech following the 2013 season. If Switzer's words were so convincing about the headset, we've got a suggestion for his next idea. Get Stoops to wear a fur coat on the sidelines. For more Oklahoma news, visit SoonerScoop.com. - - - - - - - Nick Bromberg is the assistant editor of Dr. Saturday on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter! Follow @NickBromberg

More... (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/sports/rss/ncaaf/SIG=148phf012/*http%3A//rivals.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/after-talk-with-barry-switzer--bob-stoops-wore-headset-less-vs--akron-125213903.html)