PDA

View Full Version : So, did anyone see the halftime performanceof the.........

JLMSOONER
9/6/2015, 07:53 AM
KState band?

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/COML2BiU8AEuK63.mp4

SoonerStormchaser
9/6/2015, 11:00 AM
Rawk cawk Jayhawk!

Therealsouthsider
9/6/2015, 11:17 AM
....outstanding

ss

oupride
9/7/2015, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the post.

tnraider1
9/7/2015, 11:49 AM
So apparently that was supposed to be the Starship Enterprise? That's their story and they're sticking to it. Hilarious!

OUmillenium
9/7/2015, 09:23 PM
TTIWWP

TheHumanAlphabet
9/8/2015, 12:35 PM
I would love to see the band charts and the marching diagrams. The Band Director put out a doosey of an explanation. If true, dude, give up charting halftime shows. I can't for the life of me figure out this theme or why they would want a Jayhawk in the mix??? Seems to be full of FAIL and it was...

tnraider1
9/8/2015, 12:42 PM
I would love to see the band charts and the marching diagrams. The Band Director put out a doosey of an explanation. If true, dude, give up charting halftime shows. I can't for the life of me figure out this theme or why they would want a Jayhawk in the mix??? Seems to be full of FAIL and it was...

Here you are.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/262160/kansas-state-marching-bands-starship-enterprise-is-awfully-phallic/

badger
9/8/2015, 01:25 PM
Basically, it was a botched formation that shouldn't have even been charted in the first place. You'll never see the OU band make a Pistol Pete or Longhorn formation in jest, and KSU's probably shouldn't have either... and they got embarrassed because of it.

KSU has already said they will suspend their director from the KU game and will voluntarily pay a $5,000 sportsmanship fine to the Big 12.

The worst part is that KSU was just honored with the trophy that recognizes the top marching band in the country. OU won it back in the 80s and bands can't win it more than once, so a big deal to get the honor. I imagine there's a lot of hurt feelings and crying going on in Little Apple

soonergirlNeugene
9/9/2015, 12:27 AM
Our band does - or at least used to flash the horns down during the fight song. Maybe that's just during the Texas game? It's been awhile since I've been able to make it to a regular game early enough to watch them play before kickoff so idk if that's still a thing.

I don't really see what the fuss is over a rival's band doing something to a logo. I mean, yeah I can see where they'd get in trouble for showing the jayhawk giving a BJ, but it almost sounds like the jayhawk is more of the problem than what it was doing.

badger
9/9/2015, 09:24 AM
Horns down hand sign during Texas week is tradition so I don't think that would be the same as forming a giant upsidedown bevo on the field. The band was once scolded when a fan alerted our director that some members were loudly chanting "Texas still sucks" during certain drum cadences in the early aughts, which put a stop to that :D There were also some other minor instances that were isolated, such as the Texas flag holder holding onto the flag (not just the pole) so that it wouldn't wave during pregame like the others. :mack:

TheHumanAlphabet
9/9/2015, 02:50 PM
I think one year I was in the Pride, possibly the OSU was upside down during pre-game. Quite the brouhaha afterwards. Then again, I could see Coach charting this with a slight twinkle in his eye wondering if anyone would get the "message"... Ha ha. Probably the same with the KSU director. The chart looks a hell lot better then the execution... But still, someone please explain the logic and theme of this show...

KantoSooner
9/9/2015, 03:02 PM
After some of the stuff the Stanford Band has done, I'm surprised anyone even commented on this.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/10/2015, 08:14 AM
Kanto, KSU Marching Band is not the LSJUMB or the Mob (Rice), they are supposed to be one of the best bands in the Country as winner of the Sudler Trophy shows.

KantoSooner
9/10/2015, 08:29 AM
What did they do to in any way contradict that rating? Seems like a pretty complex pattern to march, to me.

Soonerjeepman
9/10/2015, 10:35 AM
compared to what's on reg TV from 7 to 10..every night this was really nothing.

They interviewed a tuba player this morning...his last comment about the sanctions: "this is really hard to swallow"...so yes, they did do it on purpose. the ku folks have their panties up in a giant wad.

Pride1Mom
9/10/2015, 11:43 AM
Probably has a band director from Kansas. Like OU's director that was from Wisconsin last year having the band come out in the form of a W!!

tycat947
9/10/2015, 12:26 PM
Basically, it was a botched formation that shouldn't have even been charted in the first place. You'll never see the OU band make a Pistol Pete or Longhorn formation in jest, and KSU's probably shouldn't have either... and they got embarrassed because of it.

KSU has already said they will suspend their director from the KU game and will voluntarily pay a $5,000 sportsmanship fine to the Big 12.

The worst part is that KSU was just honored with the trophy that recognizes the top marching band in the country. OU won it back in the 80s and bands can't win it more than once, so a big deal to get the honor. I imagine there's a lot of hurt feelings and crying going on in Little Apple

So, you're saying the puddy tats marching band won the Sudler Trophy by default? Not many bands left to win???