PDA

View Full Version : So, what's going to happen this year??

BlownGP
8/12/2015, 08:07 PM
During the off season I kinda stay away from football especially after this past season. Both OU and my Saints stunk it up bad!!!
But it's getting closer and I've read a few articles saying how we have a good team and we will found out REAL soon after week two.

So, if our defense still going to play lost again and will a QB that can make passes when needed?

And is TCU a Baylor really going to be that good. I can see TCU having a solid team but Baylor ranked that high? I like the big 12 getting some love but kinda feels weird OU is not up there. Ole well we seem to play better as underdawgs.

SicEmBaylor
8/12/2015, 08:10 PM
3-loss season. You lose to us and TCU. I think you'll have one unexpected loss, but I do think you'll beat Tennessee.

Your Tulsa game is going to be interesting to watch. I'm excited to see how Coach Monty does.

Mazeppa
8/12/2015, 08:25 PM
One thing is for sure we will play at least 12 games.

ObiKaTony
8/12/2015, 09:26 PM
3-loss season. You lose to us and TCU. I think you'll have one unexpected loss, but I do think you'll beat Tennessee.

Your Tulsa game is going to be interesting to watch. I'm excited to see how Coach Monty does.

we don't lose to Baylor. Baylor is outrageously overrated. W/O petty this team is going to struggle against us, and will surely lose to tcu. Ou is due to beat Baylor, why? Because Baylor is still Baylor.

Salt City Sooner
8/12/2015, 10:34 PM
Quarterback is the DEAD last thing I'd be worried about if I was a Baylor fan.

CincySooner
8/13/2015, 07:36 AM
we don't lose to Baylor. Baylor is outrageously overrated. W/O petty this team is going to struggle against us, and will surely lose to tcu. Ou is due to beat Baylor, why? Because Baylor is still Baylor.

In all fairness, that's the same kind of thing OU fans said after RGIII graduated... And then Petty went 2-1 against OU.
Unfortunately, the onus is on OU to "prove it" against Baylor, not vise versa.

olevetonahill
8/13/2015, 10:20 AM
In all fairness, that's the same kind of thing OU fans said after RGIII graduated... And then Petty went 2-1 against OU.

We've lost 3 of the last 4 to them. I see a mega Stoops arse kicking coming for those teddy bears.
If they can beat us again this year I will Crown Sicem King Bear for life.

ObiKaTony
8/13/2015, 10:30 AM

Didn't petty lose his first outting?

SicEmBaylor
8/13/2015, 10:31 AM
Keenum, Kolb, RGIII, Florence, and Petty are all Briles coached QBs. We have four on the roster who could be starting for any number of P5 teams right now including Stidham, certainly. I'm not worried about QB. Defense is another matter, but I feel good about playing OU in Waco. We've only lost two home games since 2010, and the last loss was in 2012.

olevetonahill
8/13/2015, 11:37 AM
I will say this, IF we lose to Baylor and TCU and NOT even sniff a Decent Bowl I will join those who are callin for Bobs head .
But I dont see that happening at all.

Salt City Sooner
8/13/2015, 11:47 AM
Didn't petty lose his first outting?
Petty was 2-0 against OU. The last time OU beat BU (in 2012) Florence was the QB, & we were pretty fortunate in that one in BU's insistence on throwing the ball early even though OU was playing for the pass. Once they figured out that they could run all day on our D, that's exactly what they did.

Soonerjeepman
8/13/2015, 12:19 PM
not sure....like everyone else.

I could see up to 6 losses, tcu, tenn, bu, osu/ut...maybe ksu...who knows. The only gimmes are ku, isu, tt, akron...maybe wv since at home. Tulsa is an interesting match up...should be a win in Norman

I would be very surprised if OU lost 6. I guess I'm not as "cocky" about any of those games as I use to be.

OU could also win them all.

SicEmBaylor
8/13/2015, 12:43 PM
not sure....like everyone else.

I could see up to 6 losses, tcu, tenn, bu, osu/ut...maybe ksu...who knows. The only gimmes are ku, isu, tt, akron...maybe wv since at home. Tulsa is an interesting match up...should be a win in Norman

I would be very surprised if OU lost 6. I guess I'm not as "cocky" about any of those games as I use to be.

OU could also win them all.

There's no way OU will lose six.

BoulderSooner79
8/13/2015, 01:19 PM
Lots of questions to be answered and I actually like it that way. It's better than seasons like '12 where I knew we would be okay, but the upside was obviously limited below elite. I'm certainly not expecting an elite team this year, but I see a very wide range of possible outcomes. That alone has me interested. I could see a slow start with it taking time for the new offense to gel - but if things are not pointing to a better future by Nov., I think the Stoop era will be ending soon.

badger
8/13/2015, 01:20 PM
So you know that Adolf Hitler movie clip that has tons of captions filled in for Hitler getting angry at losing the war? OK, I want you to picture everything laughable you can say about UT with this clip:
fyEThSM4JnI
It exists out there, as I watched it last night on husband's phone, but I don't know where it is.

So thank you to whoever created that, it was wonderful. For everyone else, just think of everything that makes Charlie Strong's brief tenure at UT so far so laughable... the five integrity points, kicking tons of players off the team and ending up 6-7. No quarterback! UT fans think they have a prayer against Notre Dame. They have less than half of their fabled "Florida Five" stable left and signing day was only a few months ago. No talent. Still no quarterback. They're going to lose eight game this year.

HAHAHAHAHAHA :mack:

cvsooner
8/13/2015, 01:50 PM
I think we'll lose one/two games. Tennessee on the road has me a little concerned and that could be a trap. Though of late Stoops' troops have done better on the road (Clemson notwithstanding). I think we'll beat Baylor. We could lose to TCU, who looks to be the most complete team on the schedule at this point. I think we're better than we're giving ourselves credit for. That's my prediction.

CowboyMRW
8/13/2015, 03:16 PM
Vet, you in again this year? This is a fascinating preseason to me this year I that I see any of the top 4 (Baylor, TCU, OU, OSU) could win the Big 12. Obviously I like OSU since the other 3 come to Stillwater, but it's gonna be a heck of a year I think for the Big 12.

Landthief 1972
8/13/2015, 03:32 PM
Offense:
It probably goes without saying that the opposing defenses will sell out to stop the run, considering the stable of RBs we have. The question becomes, does that play into the hands of Lincoln Riley and a spread defense? If whomever starts at QB can consistently hit the short routes and few deep balls, it's going to be a long day for most defenses out there in the softer parts of our schedule. Will the new O-line replacements be able to pick up where last year's unit left off? What would make a great redemption story: Knight is named starting QB to the surprise of the media and the dismay of the fans, only to show that he has a real knack for the air raid offense, and just eats the secondary alive. Not likely, but it would be a great story.

Defense:
Probably the strongest LB corp we've had since Austin Box passed away. A solid D-line. But oh my, that secondary. So Charlie Brown wishy-washy. Moments of brilliance tempered by large spans of boneheadedness. If the line and the LBs play all season like they did against Tennessee last year, it will take the pressure off the secondary, but I see no indication that this year will be any different. We're going to get torched by really good QB-WR teams, so expect a lot of shootouts again this year.

Worst case scenario: 7-6 with losses to Tennessee, Texas or Kansas State, Baylor, TCU, OSU, and our toilet bowl opponent, meaning we likely would have beaten no team with a record better than 6-7 or 6-6.

Best case scenario: 10-3 with losses to TCU, Baylor or OSU, and or the bowl opponent. Perine gets some votes in the Heisman race, but can't get enough traction to win it.

SoonerorLater
8/13/2015, 07:49 PM
Toughest year to pick in a while. I've been pretty negative the last few years. Think I picked them at 7-5 last year.

QB play is a wild card. Long shot prediction is that Cody Thomas gets a chance and surprises in a good way. Defense is better than expected. W-L-wise a replay of last year but better play in the face of stronger competition at the end of the season.

Defense is improved. Not remarkable but improved.

8-4 regular season.

Mazeppa
8/13/2015, 08:02 PM
Offense:
It probably goes without saying that the opposing defenses will sell out to stop the run, considering the stable of RBs we have. The question becomes, does that play into the hands of Lincoln Riley and a spread defense? If whomever starts at QB can consistently hit the short routes and few deep balls, it's going to be a long day for most defenses out there in the softer parts of our schedule. Will the new O-line replacements be able to pick up where last year's unit left off? What would make a great redemption story: Knight is named starting QB to the surprise of the media and the dismay of the fans, only to show that he has a real knack for the air raid offense, and just eats the secondary alive. Not likely, but it would be a great story.

Defense:
Probably the strongest LB corp we've had since Austin Box passed away. A solid D-line. But oh my, that secondary. So Charlie Brown wishy-washy. Moments of brilliance tempered by large spans of boneheadedness. If the line and the LBs play all season like they did against Tennessee last year, it will take the pressure off the secondary, but I see no indication that this year will be any different. We're going to get torched by really good QB-WR teams, so expect a lot of shootouts again this year.

Worst case scenario: 7-6 with losses to Tennessee, Texas or Kansas State, Baylor, TCU, OSU, and our toilet bowl opponent, meaning we likely would have beaten no team with a record better than 6-7 or 6-6.

Best case scenario: 10-3 with losses to TCU, Baylor or OSU, and or the bowl opponent. Perine gets some votes in the Heisman race, but can't get enough traction to win it.

A best case scenario could never include a loss to osu, ever!

ouwasp
8/13/2015, 10:01 PM
Just in the last day or so I'm beginning to think...if no QB can separate (as bad as things were last yr), then OU may be up that proverbial creek without a paddle.

If that's the case, then it's another 8-4, 7-5 sort of embarrassment. With quality qb play and decent defense improvements, who knows? I can't fathom the number of fans already mailing it in vs Baylor.

olevetonahill
8/14/2015, 02:16 AM
Vet, you in again this year? This is a fascinating preseason to me this year I that I see any of the top 4 (Baylor, TCU, OU, OSU) could win the Big 12. Obviously I like OSU since the other 3 come to Stillwater, but it's gonna be a heck of a year I think for the Big 12.

You betcha Bro. straight up who has the better B 12 record right?

CowboyMRW
8/14/2015, 09:23 AM

Yea, Should be a good one this year.

olevetonahill
8/14/2015, 09:27 AM

I was so disgusted with the way we lost to you last year that I said **** it and called it tie LOL
Hope Yall have a decent season and We have a GREAT one :watermelon:

badger
8/14/2015, 09:59 AM

MRW, thank you for leaving your avatar/sig up long after you had to. I patiently await the next n00b to take the bait :D

I would like the sane Poke's take on the follow points of information:

1- Mason Rudolph appeared in a total of 3 games last season. Why are OSU fans acting like he's the next Peyton Manning?
2- Tyreek Hill appears to be the latest case of OSU football only getting top talent when the red flags scare away all other schools. In Tyreek's case, he reportedly had a highly offensive twitter handle that scared away at least one SEC school Are you going to refute this, or agree that OSU can only get top talent if nobody else wants the player :stunned:
3- Why didn't OSU schedule at least one quality non-conference opponent. No, taking on Central Michigan on the road instead of hosting does not count.
4- Hindsight is 20-20, so admit it: You were off the Mike Gundy bandwagon until the OU miracle and bowl victory, weren't you :D

CowboyMRW
8/14/2015, 10:39 AM
MRW, thank you for leaving your avatar/sig up long after you had to. I patiently await the next n00b to take the bait :D

I would like the sane Poke's take on the follow points of information:

1- Mason Rudolph appeared in a total of 3 games last season. Why are OSU fans acting like he's the next Peyton Manning?
2- Tyreek Hill appears to be the latest case of OSU football only getting top talent when the red flags scare away all other schools. In Tyreek's case, he reportedly had a highly offensive twitter handle that scared away at least one SEC school Are you going to refute this, or agree that OSU can only get top talent if nobody else wants the player :stunned:
3- Why didn't OSU schedule at least one quality non-conference opponent. No, taking on Central Michigan on the road instead of hosting does not count.
4- Hindsight is 20-20, so admit it: You were off the Mike Gundy bandwagon until the OU miracle and bowl victory, weren't you :D

1. Mason came in highly regarded out of high school, and in those 3 games which were all on the road, he looked as good as a true frosh could IMO, given the circumstances. The poise he showed was really good, and some of the throws he made looked like next level stuff. Idk how much you remember from the OU game, but there were a couple instances that Striker had free shots at him, and Mason made him miss. That pocket awareness isn't something you can't teach, and many people expect him to take a big step forward since he's been the starter all off-season.

2. That would make a really, really good troll on OP.com. LOL at an SEC school being scared away because of a twitter handle.

3. We were supposed to play Clemson this year and next year, but they backed out. It does suck to be talked about having a Baylor-type schedule though, and hopefully in the future this changes. I'm pretty satisfied with our home schedule though so at least we have that.

4. I wouldn't say totally off, but it appeared that he was ready to take a leave of absence and I would have been totally fine with it. He was being short with boosters and the media, and it seemed like he had given up on the season, refusing to go away from Daxx. Then magic happened against Texas, and Daxx got a concussion and the rest is history. He went out and made what appear to be excellent off season hires, and this is the most optimism I've seen coming out of OSU. Even more than 2011.

CincySooner
8/14/2015, 12:02 PM
Petty was 2-0 against OU. The last time OU beat BU (in 2012) Florence was the QB, & we were pretty fortunate in that one in BU's insistence on throwing the ball early even though OU was playing for the pass. Once they figured out that they could run all day on our D, that's exactly what they did.

Ah... thanks for the correction. The ole' memory isn't what it used to be.

Landthief 1972
8/14/2015, 01:30 PM
A best case scenario could never include a loss to osu, ever!

Well, I did leave a way out of that, it was OSU OR Baylor. :P

Sabanball
8/16/2015, 07:11 PM
You guys WILL beat Tennessee in Rocky Top and exceed expectations this year. Stoops has no pressure and with a retooled staff I see OU as a final four team this season.

olevetonahill
8/16/2015, 07:16 PM
Well, I did leave a way out of that, it was OSU OR Baylor. :P

I dont see Either happening!

You guys WILL beat Tennessee in Rocky Top and exceed expectations this year. Stoops has no pressure and with a retooled staff I see OU as a final four team this season.

Agreed Bro. I aint a Sunshine Pumper so much as a True Believer LOL

champions77
8/16/2015, 08:31 PM

Foolish Aggie thinks they have a chance at a Big XII Championship? I wonder if he also believes in the tooth fairy too?

If OSU really wants to put themselves in a position to win a Conference Championship, then begin with a better defense then 91st in the nation. And that secondary they are talking up? Ranked 110th in Pass Defense Nationally last year.

Shows the wide cazim of expectations that still exist between the programs. ALL OU fans are terribly upset over our defense last year, just a nightmare of a season. But that defense was ranked 51st in the nation in total defense last year.

For all intents and purposes, osu was a seven loss team last year. Then what would their expectations be for 2015? Not this year Aggies.

SicEmBaylor
8/16/2015, 08:38 PM
A lot of things would have to go wrong in the conference for Aggie to have a shot at the Big XII title.

For our part, I think the worst case scenario is an 8 win season. I'm a constant negative-nancy when it comes to Baylor (leftover trait from the Steele/GuyMo years). Right now I see us dropping two.

BlownGP
8/18/2015, 12:51 PM
You know it's bad when people say we might lose to OSU. Not that they never bear us, but we always thinkg OSU doesn't stand a chance..lol

Thanks for the info guys.. I really wasn't excited about football this year because both OU and Saints have huge question marks. But as the days get closer to kick off I'm getting more hyped up..lol