PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones

deweydw
8/9/2015, 08:50 PM
Playing a full game tonight in the HOF bowl. Looks pretty good. His numbers would be better had some of the receiver's caught the ball.

BoulderSooner79
8/9/2015, 08:54 PM
He looks pretty good. Definitely looks like he and Coates are not on the same page most the time. The Steelers showed almost no running game in the first half and ended up in 3rd and long too often.

Curly Bill
8/9/2015, 08:55 PM
HOF game - that's being desperate to watch some football! ;)

KantoSooner
8/9/2015, 09:03 PM
Yep. That'd be me!

Curly Bill
8/9/2015, 09:05 PM
Not me! To each their own of course, but someone alert me when the preseason is over and the real games begin!

deweydw
8/9/2015, 09:17 PM
There was nothing else on tonight. So watching the game and see how LJ is doing. He's hitting the receivers in the hands and they can't hold on to the ball.

Curly Bill
8/9/2015, 09:20 PM
There was nothing else on tonight. So watching the game and see how LJ is doing. He's hitting the receivers in the hands and they can't hold on to the ball.

Dude always had a good arm. I questioned his mental toughness and his pocket presence, but glad he's doing well.

Soonerjeepman
8/9/2015, 09:54 PM
Guess I dont think he's done that good. Yes he had guys drop passes...1 a sure td but he's missed big time as well.

Curly Bill
8/9/2015, 10:28 PM
Guess I dont think he's done that good. Yes he had guys drop passes...1 a sure td but he's missed big time as well.

Saw it mentioned somewhere else he wasn't very good either, but here we had someone saying he played well. I'm confused! And guess I'll remain as such because preseason football isn't on my agenda.

BoulderSooner79
8/9/2015, 11:16 PM
I just saw the 1st half and not all of that. I thought LJ looked okay, but the Steelers clearly didn't have their top WRs or RBs on the field to help the QB. I've seen other articles that speculate that the Steelers were using this game to give LJ some exposure to see if he could be of some trade value. He looked polished enough to me to believe he will land on someones roster even if the Steelers decide not to keep him.

You're right CB, this was way too boring to suffer through. I only lasted as long as I did because I knew LJ would be out there the whole time.

olevetonahill
8/10/2015, 01:12 AM
Saw it mentioned somewhere else he wasn't very good either, but here we had someone saying he played well. I'm confused! And guess I'll remain as such because preseason football isn't on my agenda.

Does it Matter?
He's GONE i wish him the Best

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/10/2015, 01:21 AM
Guess I dont think he's done that good. Yes he had guys drop passes...1 a sure td but he's missed big time as well.It didn't seem to me that the team was believing in him as the leader he needs to be. I hope he gets a lot more playing time in the preseason, in order to give him an honest evaluation.

Therealsouthsider
8/10/2015, 07:37 AM

....syfy channel had a Sharknado marathon

ss

swardboy
8/10/2015, 08:36 AM
If you're not gonna watch, please resist the urge to even post. "Shared ignorance."

kbsooner21
8/10/2015, 09:03 AM

He was pretty bad. Same old happy feet in the pocket. Don't think I ever saw him step up in the pocket and complete a throw down field one time. He had a great career at OU, but if last night was any indication, he'll never play a meaningful snap in the NFL.

BoulderSooner79
8/10/2015, 11:24 AM
He was pretty bad. Same old happy feet in the pocket. Don't think I ever saw him step up in the pocket and complete a throw down field one time. He had a great career at OU, but if last night was any indication, he'll never play a meaningful snap in the NFL.

Not true - I saw a few of those and I only watched the first half. I don't see LJ ever starting, but that doesn't mean his time with a clip board is not meaningful TO HIM. Depends on what his goals are; backup QBs often earn a path into the coaching ranks (not to mention it pays pretty well).

badger
8/10/2015, 11:28 AM
I watched the first half. LJ was off on a few throws, but I liked how he wasn't afraid to take hits and there was a sure-TD that was dropped by a guy that had the ball hit him in the hands. Boo. Cut that man.

I don't think he's sewn up a roster spot just yet, but injury issues at his position give him a better chance of getting more preseason reps. However, the media is not being kind to him. It would be worrying to be a Steeler fan dependent on LJ at quarterback if Ben ROFLburger got suspended or injured or whatever.

Curly Bill
8/10/2015, 12:27 PM
If you're not gonna watch, please resist the urge to even post. "Shared ignorance."

Oh noes! The internet sheriff has done rode into town!

Soonerjeepman
8/10/2015, 12:38 PM
Wish the kid luck. Being a back-up pays 6 figures easily maybe more. I don't see him as a starter but that's ok. He had a nice scramble for a 1st down but got hammered...he's no Big Ben. Won't do that again I'm sure.

I always cheer for old OU guys...he's prob already made more money in 3 years than I will my whole career~

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/10/2015, 12:45 PM
He keeps sputtering, but is hanging in there. I hope they continue to evaluate him, and not just cut him. He looked okay at times, but certainly didn't excel.

hawaii 5-0
8/10/2015, 01:12 PM
Coupla overthrows. Coupla drops. Scramble for a first down.

Good to see him out there. I hope the Steelers keep him around.

5-0

Avery2015
8/10/2015, 02:44 PM
Glad to see he's still on a roster.

badger
8/10/2015, 02:55 PM
If he makes it just one more season, NFL pension. Fingers crossed for a third season!!!

But quite frankly, yesterday's performance is getting trashed everywhere outside of OU fandom and maybe somewhere in New Mexico. :( If their backup isn't ready to go, I see Pittslesberger signing another team's QB that gets cut over keeping Landry if he doesn't have better preseason performances.

Yes, his receivers weren't catching what they should have. Yes, it's preseason... but taking my crimson glasses off, I would be hitting the panic button if he were Green Bay's backup and demanding the team bring in someone else to fill the backup void before the season starts. I loved when Paul Thompson was on Green Bay's practice squad, but would I ever want him to play in a game for us? A real game? Nonononononononononono

kbsooner21
8/10/2015, 04:04 PM
Gradkowski is already in Pittsburgh but just hurt at the moment.

cvsooner
8/10/2015, 05:56 PM
What little I saw he looked okay. Fairly poised in the pocket but stuck with just dismal receivers. A number of passes that should've been caught that weren't, but unfortunately a couple of plays that struck me as "WTF Landry?!" moments of years past. I won't be surprised if they keep him or cut him, honestly.

BoulderSooner79
8/10/2015, 10:15 PM
What little I saw he looked okay. Fairly poised in the pocket but stuck with just dismal receivers. A number of passes that should've been caught that weren't, but unfortunately a couple of plays that struck me as "WTF Landry?!" moments of years past. I won't be surprised if they keep him or cut him, honestly.

Same way I saw it - clearly 2nd and 3rd string (at best) skill players to support him. I think the lack of running game may have hurt worse than the WR play. And that "Outlaw Jesse James" TE cost a TD and an INT to go along with his holding penalty. But LJ did have a couple of bungled plays including letting the play clock run down a couple of times. He should be past those things.

I'd love to see him traded or picked up by a team not so set at QB. But regardless he still represents OU well. Only Bradford has been a true starter from OU in the Stoops era. NFL starting QB is a rare beast indeed. There are only 32 of them at a given time and maybe only 10-12 of them that the fans really like. No shame in not making that list and I never worry about LJ hitting the police blotter or embarrassing OU in any way.

badger
8/11/2015, 08:41 AM
oh yes I am not knocking the guy at all. he will always be our beloved meerkat whether he's in the NFL or being Mr. Whitney Hand ;)

me during game: haha he's got a neckbeard to go with his mustache

husband responds: he's ALWAYS had a neckbeard!

BoulderSooner79
8/11/2015, 10:38 AM
me during game: haha he's got a neckbeard to go with his mustache

husband responds: he's ALWAYS had a neckbeard!

Okay, I take that back about not embarrassing OU in any way.

badger
8/12/2015, 01:02 PM
Oh yes, he's been good to opposing fans who want some dorky looking Sooner to point at and say "LOL that's what a stereotypical Sooner looks like" but then we point at the 300 pound tight end and say "You only wish you looked as good as that bear, Baylor"

stoops the eternal pimp
8/17/2015, 03:45 PM
Very unlikely he is on the roster when season starts unless the other backup can't go..The Steelers have been going with 3 qbs on the roster the last couple of years but probably will go with 2 since they have a couple of slashes(WR/QB) on the roster for emergencies.

badger
8/17/2015, 04:05 PM
I agree with STEP, but if the Steelers were to keep Landry Jones, it would be because of stuff like this:

No player got more work than Landry Jones, who threw the ball 46 times. Who throws it 46 times in the second preseason game? Jones does. And Jones finished a respectable 24-of-46 for 200 yards and a touchdown to C.J. Goodwin.

Jones can do some good things when he has time in the pocket and makes decisive throws. But this performance is once again ... meh. Especially when he finished incompletion, incompletion, incompletion, sack on the final drive with a chance to win.

The Steelers are giving Jones every chance to stick around. He’s not bulldozing his chances, but he’ll need more than 4.3 yards per passing attempt to succeed.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/174589/too-many-holes-in-steelers-defense-vs-jaguars-landry-jones-not-making-this-easy

It really sounds like they're trying to justify keeping him, even if everything from the past few seasons suggest they shouldn't. Keep pushing, Landry!

cvsooner
8/17/2015, 05:01 PM
What I have seen of him reminds me of the unrealized potential that is Landry Jones. I know Heupel caught a lot of flack because Jones had plateaued after his sophomore year and that maybe JH becoming OC was the reason. But I also see LJ hasn't really moved on past that level, which, when it's working is quite good, but when it isn't...ouch.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/17/2015, 05:15 PM
Exactly^. After his first round of rookie camp, The Steelers QB coach called LJ the worst prepared quarterback he had seen and wondered to the media what the Oklahoma coaches were doing with him.. After the first pre season game this year, he brought OU up again and said there is just some things he still can't do right that he brought with him from Oklahoma.

KantoSooner
8/17/2015, 06:54 PM
Your take, because I value it: is that on OU coaches? Or on Jones?

cvsooner
8/17/2015, 07:48 PM
My take at this point is LJ has progressed as far as he's going to and no coaching is going to fix/change it.

badger
8/19/2015, 12:28 PM
Steelers cut Tahj Boyd yesterday. LJ's chances of making the Steelers a third season...rising...???

OUmillenium
8/21/2015, 12:01 PM
This is great. I had no idea LJ was still trying to play NFL. Pullin for him.

deweydw
8/23/2015, 03:13 PM
Doing well against the Packers, in the second half. Still has the happy feet though. Getting so much playing time, Steelers want to keep him, me thinks.

SoonerorLater
8/23/2015, 03:39 PM
It was a pretty decent outing for Landry. The problem I see with LJ is the same things that keep him from being a starting QB will prevent him from being an effective backup. I do think if he keeps showing some hint of effectiveness and improvement he will make the roster.

badger
8/25/2015, 12:17 PM
A potential setback: The Steelers are meeting Michael Vick:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ap/steelers-meeting-with-qb-michael-vick/article_8a3edb71-58e7-5c9e-9794-0ade97d85878.html

This is a bit disappointing because word outta camp was that LJ was starting to be thought of as the backup not the third stringer:
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/08/25/Landry-Jones-makes-bid-to-be-No-2-QB-instead-of-No-3/stories/201508240142

BoulderSooner79
8/25/2015, 02:31 PM
Michael Vick pretty far past his peak and has declined a lot. He represents a short term gap filler at best. That doesn't mean the Steelers won't cut LJ or maybe even try to get some trade value for him.