PDA

View Full Version : Keith Ford transferring

cvsooner
5/13/2015, 12:17 PM
No surprise, really.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/ou-s-keith-ford-announces-he-is-transferring/article_2344e033-1610-5b89-976d-c86e53d786ba.html

bmjlr
5/13/2015, 12:18 PM
No it doesn't surprise me either. Wish him the best of luck.

BoulderSooner79
5/13/2015, 12:54 PM
Dog house+injury+competition at RB makes this the right move for him. Note that Stoops gives him full release, Kliff.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/13/2015, 01:28 PM
Ugh, I've seen this movie before. We start off with a ton of running backs and by the time the season gets here, we have 2.

BoulderSooner79
5/13/2015, 01:43 PM
Ugh, I've seen this movie before. We start off with a ton of running backs and by the time the season gets here, we have 2.

But that's okay now that we are full on air raid.

(*ducks as TDTW throws his keyboard at the screen)

badger
5/13/2015, 02:21 PM
But that's okay now that we are full on air raid.
Running backs = catch and run
Wide receivers = run and catch

AIR RAID!!!!!

cvsooner
5/13/2015, 03:08 PM

I don't remember what media guy -- John Shinn, maybe? -- pointed this out, but out of 14 running backs recruited in the past few years, eight have transferred. Maybe there's another reason Cale Gundy is no longer in charge or RBs but shifted over to WRs?

cvsooner
5/13/2015, 03:09 PM
I misremembered. It was John Shinn, but he wrote on twitter: Since 2003, eight of the 20 running backs (doesn't include fullbacks) OU signed eventually transferred. OU has signed 13 running backs since the 2008 recruiting class. With Keith Ford's decision, six eventually transferred.

BoulderSooner79
5/13/2015, 03:56 PM
Feast or famine, I guess. When we do hit at RB, we hit big. Griffin, Peterson, Murray and now Perine.

KantoSooner
5/13/2015, 04:01 PM
I think we'll all be happily surprised by:
1. What an excellent fit Mixon is for this offense and how freaking deadly he will be floating around in the backfield.
2. How the spreading of the field is going to benefit Ross...and how many times he takes it to the house.
3.How many passes Perine catches.

BoulderSooner79
5/13/2015, 04:31 PM
I think we'll all be happily surprised by:
1. What an excellent fit Mixon is for this offense and how freaking deadly he will be floating around in the backfield.
2. How the spreading of the field is going to benefit Ross...and how many times he takes it to the house.
3.How many passes Perine catches.

There are a few out there that could not be happily surprised at 3). Every reception he makes represents a carry he didn't get, so joy isn't possible.

EatLeadCommie
5/13/2015, 06:31 PM
damn shame

birddog
5/13/2015, 07:05 PM
Never like to see a Sooner hit the bricks but it seems par for the course since the end of last season, coaching changes and all. His abilities would have transitioned best to this offense but we have enough versatility to compensate for him bailing, I hope. Thanks, KF. You gave us a lot to talk about when you stepped on the field as a freshman. I drink to your health...and mine. :)

Eielson
5/13/2015, 07:21 PM

I think we'll be fine this year if Mixon doesn't punch another girl. We still have Perine, Mixon, Ross, Brooks, and Anderson. I'm honestly unsure if Ford even adds depth with his injuries.

Now if Mixon punches another girl, Brooks transfers, and Ross gets hurt on a kick return...then I'd be worried. Even then, Perine and Anderson would still be one of the best backfields in the conference.

Eielson
5/13/2015, 07:22 PM
I'm sad to see him go, though. I had high hopes for him, and enjoyed watching him, but he wasn't able to stay on the field with all his injuries.

Salt City Sooner
5/13/2015, 11:58 PM
I think we'll be fine this year if Mixon doesn't punch another girl. We still have Perine, Mixon, Ross, Brooks, and Anderson. I'm honestly unsure if Ford even adds depth with his injuries.

Now if Mixon punches another girl, Brooks transfers, and Ross gets hurt on a kick return...then I'd be worried. Even then, Perine and Anderson would still be one of the best backfields in the conference.

He's not a pure RB per se', but don't forget about Flowers as well.

badger
5/14/2015, 08:26 AM
He and his dad did a lengthy interview with Tulsa World post-transfer:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/ou-sports-keith-ford-explains-his-decision-to-leave-the/article_da348ffa-f6b8-55aa-bc32-cb5483c1f36e.html

Of note:

Ford: “After the coaching change there, it didn’t start off right. I talked to my parents. I didn’t like the coach. We were just talking that I think I should leave. First of all, we made sure we got my grades squared away to make sure I would be eligible to transfer. We did that, and I decided to transfer away from OU.”

TW: What coach are you referring to?

Ford: “The running backs coach (Jay Boulware, who moved to running backs coach in OU’s staff change last February).”

TW: What was the problem?

Ford: “It just wasn’t the right fit. His style of coaching was not my style. I had a relationship with Coach Gundy (Cale Gundy, the running backs coach before switching to inside receivers). I really came to OU because of Coach Gundy, because I wanted to work with him. I didn’t really know this guy and his actions didn’t fit the way I wanted to be coached.”

and

Ford Sr: “There’s nothing to hide here. He’s being honest. Injuries, coaching change, when you add all that up, sometimes you’ve just got to make the right decision. But I’m gonna tell you something, Coach Gundy, he’s a good man. Keith formed a relationship with him. Hopefully he can find a place to go where he can form that relationship with his coach. Because I’m gonna tell you, that player you saw on that field was a product of Coach Gundy and the relationship that they had.”

I was surprised to see Cale get moved in the offseason. Running backs have always been good under him --- good recruits, good results on-field. Why would Bob Stoops want to change that?

Tear Down This Wall
5/14/2015, 10:12 AM
He and his dad did a lengthy interview with Tulsa World post-transfer:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/ou-sports-keith-ford-explains-his-decision-to-leave-the/article_da348ffa-f6b8-55aa-bc32-cb5483c1f36e.html

Of note:

and

I was surprised to see Cale get moved in the offseason. Running backs have always been good under him --- good recruits, good results on-field. Why would Bob Stoops want to change that?

Because running the ball is now a secondary thought at Texas Tech University, Norman Campus.

KantoSooner
5/14/2015, 10:40 AM
Do you want to break the news to Perine? Or should I?

swardboy
5/14/2015, 10:42 AM
Because running the ball is now a secondary thought at Texas Tech University, Norman Campus.

Bwahahaha........

badger
5/14/2015, 10:52 AM
It is becoming increasingly apparent that this is make or break year, if it wasn't already. If the trophy case doesn't need expansion at the end of the season, Heads. Will. Roll.

Eielson
5/14/2015, 11:13 AM

Amen! I heard this new jackass of an OC we hired is only concerned with scoring points.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/14/2015, 01:03 PM

Gundy's strengths are from January to August - He is a very good evaluater, recruiter, and teacher. Where he is weak is from August to December specifically in setting player expectations pre-game and substitution patterns within a game. Those weaknesses have directly transferred to points left on the field and to be honest 3-4 Ls in close games that should be Ws.

The entire Miller/Calhoun/Brandon Williams fiasco would have gotten a lot of coaches fired. When guys transfer because you repeatedly tell them they are going to start the game on Monday and then start someone else on Saturday, you have a communication problem that is detrimental to the success of the team. When you repeatedly pull a hot running back and then go 3 and out, you have another issue that is detrimental to the success of the team.

Bob Stoops legacy at OU is that he hired a great set of coaches year 1 that were made stronger in year 2 by the swapping of Long for Leach. The problem is that over time, his staff has went from balancing strengths and weaknesses to having both on display throughout the season. The first 5 games we see their strengths, the last 5 games we see their weaknesses.

badger
5/14/2015, 01:09 PM
When guys transfer because you repeatedly tell them they are going to start the game on Monday and then start someone else on Saturday

Why was one of my first thoughts when I read that how Mike Gundy treats QBs at OSU, heh. If true, it runs in the family? If not true, the impression runs in the family.

Soonerjeepman
5/14/2015, 03:27 PM
First, I wish him the best...my kid is transferring from 1 D1 Juco to another in the same league because of the HC basically, so I get that part.

BUT...after reading the Tulsa interview...quite honestly I think they (Ford and his dad) wimped out. They blame the coaching move for some...but then talk about being injured and not feeling a part of the team etc...hard to get back in the grove, etc. Ya got hurt...that's no ones fault. Sounds a little high horse to me...or he sees the writing on the wall, Mixon, Pernine...and the other guys.

Like I told my son while fall ball was on...just suck it up, do your best, ask, maybe the HC is pushing you..to see what you have on the mound. When the HC then tells you "you can't pitch in this league...anywhere" it's time to move on. Funny thing is 3 other schools in the league offered after that, 2 finished higher than his original school.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/14/2015, 04:14 PM
If he fully rehabilitates, he could play quite a bit, at just about any school.

KantoSooner
5/14/2015, 04:20 PM
Heh. I remember my college coach (Div III) telling us on opening day of practice, "Boys, if you can't play here, you can't play anywhere. There IS NO Div IV."
Quite the motivator, he was...

Soonerjeepman
5/15/2015, 09:52 AM
Heh. I remember my college coach (Div III) telling us on opening day of practice, "Boys, if you can't play here, you can't play anywhere. There IS NO Div IV."
Quite the motivator, he was...

lol...that's funny....yeah, it's amazing how coaches can break a kid down or get them going

badger
5/15/2015, 10:23 AM
Sounds a little high horse to me...or he sees the writing on the wall, Mixon, Pernine...and the other guys.
It's best for him and for OU. It's clear our offense if going in a pass-first direction and you can only have so many running backs running shallow slant routes/quick dump offs/block for the QB out of shotgun... even with the talent we have.

By the way... do we have a true fullback to replace Ripkowski on roster? Or is that position going the way of the dodo bird under Lincoln Riley? Or perhaps Keith was told to gain 100 pounds of muscle by fall to fill that position ;)

Eielson
5/15/2015, 10:36 AM
I can't really get behind the criticisms of Ford. This isn't what he signed up for. Almost anything a kid should look for when picking a school has changed. We switched offenses, we switched coaches, his injuries opened the door for younger guys to take his place, there's more uncertainty of the direction of this program than there has been since the 90's, and even the university itself is going through some overblown turmoil. OU was a great fit for Keith when he committed, and was even a great fit for him less than a year ago, but it's not now, and nobody would have guessed it 7-8 months ago. Heck, I couldn't have even guessed it in January.

badger
5/15/2015, 11:17 AM
This isn't what he signed up for.
Undoubtedly. He was either a four or five-star recruit by every service out there. Cale had been RB coach forever and would conceivably continue in that role for the foreseeable future... but as I look at his stats...
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=208865261

Not exactly earth shattering. It just wasn't working out, was it? Injury or not. It sounds like he's got good parents that will help in in the re-recruiting process. It would be interesting if he ended up at Texas A&M, because he wouldn't be the first former five-star/four-star RB we've sent to Kevin Sumlin:
http://www.12thman.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205502914

Tear Down This Wall
5/15/2015, 12:15 PM
Amen! I heard this new jackass of an OC we hired is only concerned with scoring points.

We were 20th in the country in scoring last year; ECU was 22nd.

So...our dolt OC that we ran off was already outscoring Mike Leach's protege, and in a tougher conference.

Again, Bob Stoops is lost. We scored plenty last season. If we had hired an OC from a real conference, with some championship pedigree, leading an offense greatly outscoring ours, your argument would make sense. But, that's not the case.

Eielson
5/15/2015, 01:32 PM
We were 20th in the country in scoring last year; ECU was 22nd.

So you're saying Riley is getting the same results with less talent? Cool.

I bet the happiness of UNC's coach offsets your gloominess.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=332710153

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=400547669

Tear Down This Wall
5/18/2015, 10:09 AM
No, I'm saying he's not getting the same results in a weaker conference. We didn't hire someone coaching at the same competition level. Also, if your standard of competition is North Carolina football, you have a very poor grasp of competition level.

Where would you say Temple falls on the competition level? Not very high. ECU hung 10 points on Temple, in a 20-10 loss.

This is an offense whose master goes 3-9 against real competition up at Wazzu. It might reach the lofty heights of eight wins in crappy conferences like C-USA II/American Athletic.

We have one receiver, who is injury prone. And, a roster full of quarterbacks who have no business holding scholarships from Oklahoma. About half the offensive linemen fit that description as well. They are being led by a kid coach who has an offense that every Big 12 coach has already seen for the better part of two decades now.

Stupid.

Eielson
5/18/2015, 01:12 PM
No, I'm saying he's not getting the same results in a weaker conference. We didn't hire someone coaching at the same competition level. Also, if your standard of competition is North Carolina football, you have a very poor grasp of competition level.

UNC would be a middle-of-the-road Big XII team, and he torched them each of the last two seasons with only the limited resources of ECU. Pretty impressive.

Where would you say Temple falls on the competition level? Not very high. ECU hung 10 points on Temple, in a 20-10 loss.

Defensively? I'd say pretty damn high, as they're #4 in scoring defense in the country.

We have one receiver, who is injury prone.

LOLOLOLNO

They are being led by a kid coach who has an offense that every Big 12 coach has already seen for the better part of two decades now.

Every Big XII coach has seen, and every Big XII coach has been torched by it.

badger
5/18/2015, 01:30 PM
I understand some of you guys' lack of optimism for the upcoming season. Our WR corps is shrinking and wasn't that solid to begin with last year. Our QB competition includes an ex-Tech walk-on (who admitted was the Big 12 freshman of the year a few seasons ago) and a guy who may or may not wake up on the right side of the bed (who admitted was the Sugar Bowl MVP over Bama a few seasons ago) and a few others who don't have a ton of college experience.

If there's anything positive to take away, it's that no matter what team runs out onto the field this season, it will not look like last year's 8-5 group, thanks to offseason coaching changes. It might be better, it might be worse, but it definitely will be different.

Fingers crossed. Hope for the best.

Tear Down This Wall
5/18/2015, 01:44 PM
I understand some of you guys' lack of optimism for the upcoming season. Our WR corps is shrinking and wasn't that solid to begin with last year. Our QB competition includes an ex-Tech walk-on (who admitted was the Big 12 freshman of the year a few seasons ago) and a guy who may or may not wake up on the right side of the bed (who admitted was the Sugar Bowl MVP over Bama a few seasons ago) and a few others who don't have a ton of college experience.

If there's anything positive to take away, it's that no matter what team runs out onto the field this season, it will not look like last year's 8-5 group, thanks to offseason coaching changes. It might be better, it might be worse, but it definitely will be different.

Fingers crossed. Hope for the best.

So, basically, you see it like I do: a 7-6, 8-5, or 9-4 year...but, getting there in a different way than in 2014. In a nutshell, different faces, same result.

And, for me, therein lies the problem. If I were Texas Tech Fan, I'd be pleased as punch to be "bowl qualified" again. But, because I'm Oklahoma Season Ticket Holder, I understand that we have the resources and tradition to go out and make big hires for real, bona fide coaches...and, yet, we don't do it.

After several years of this, my only sense is that Bob must not like people who are smarter than him on the coaching staff. And, unfortunately, the list of coaches smarter than Bob grows by the year. Bob doesn't set a high bar as far as intelligence, and consistently hires below it. He's, sadly, become Mack Brown without the schmoozing element.

badger
5/18/2015, 01:52 PM
So, basically, you see it like I do: a 7-6, 8-5, or 9-4 year...but, getting there in a different way than in 2014. In a nutshell, different faces, same result

Yeah, I'm just not as snarky about it ;) but as you're the season ticket holder and I *might* venture down for a game if just to watch at a Norman TV instead of a Tulsa one... you have more of a right to be. I have no monetary investment and have less and less emotional investment as my college years drift further away.

I'm not drinking the CFP kool aid again no matter what Mark May says in September --- we're not getting top 4 placement without an undefeated season, and unless we've conjured up defensive backs that don't need to leave 5-yard bubbly cushions between themselves and Baylor receviers, we're not beating Art Briles. But, if its OK for me to be spiteful, Baylor's not getting there either, and they're not beating TCU next year. So... nyah nyah? :D

birddog
5/18/2015, 01:54 PM
So, basically, you see it like I do: a 7-6, 8-5, or 9-4 year...but, getting there in a different way than in 2014. In a nutshell, different faces, same result.

And, for me, therein lies the problem. If I were Texas Tech Fan, I'd be pleased as punch to be "bowl qualified" again. But, because I'm Oklahoma Season Ticket Holder, I understand that we have the resources and tradition to go out and make big hires for real, bona fide coaches...and, yet, we don't do it.

After several years of this, my only sense is that Bob must not like people who are smarter than him on the coaching staff. And, unfortunately, the list of coaches smarter than Bob grows by the year. Bob doesn't set a high bar as far as intelligence, and consistently hires below it. He's, sadly, become Mack Brown without the schmoozing element.

Is your name "recruiter" on another board?

Tear Down This Wall
5/18/2015, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I'm just not as snarky about it ;) but as you're the season ticket holder and I *might* venture down for a game if just to watch at a Norman TV instead of a Tulsa one... you have more of a right to be. I have no monetary investment and have less and less emotional investment as my college years drift further away.

I'm not drinking the CFP kool aid again no matter what Mark May says in September --- we're not getting top 4 placement without an undefeated season, and unless we've conjured up defensive backs that don't need to leave 5-yard bubbly cushions between themselves and Baylor receviers, we're not beating Art Briles. But, if its OK for me to be spiteful, Baylor's not getting there either, and they're not beating TCU next year. So... nyah nyah? :D

Agree. At least Ford will likely go somewhere where he might possibly get to run with the ball again. Injury or not, what little running we will do in 2015 will likely be done by Perine...unless our new offensive coaches are even dumber than I predict they will be, which isn't out of the question at this point.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/18/2015, 02:47 PM

In order for this to happen, we'd have to buck some trends.

For whatever reason, our defense has been an order of magnitude better every other year.
We've tended to be healthier in full spread offenses than in the hybrid power attack.
Our first year coaches have tended to get abnormally good results with their position groups (their first full recruiting classes on the other hand suck).

I just don't see us going against all 3 trends which we'd need to do to get to 7 wins. I think a surprising 10-11 win season is more in the cards with your win total returning in 2016 and a new coach in 2017.

Tear Down This Wall
5/18/2015, 04:03 PM
In order for this to happen, we'd have to buck some trends.

For whatever reason, our defense has been an order of magnitude better every other year.
We've tended to be healthier in full spread offenses than in the hybrid power attack.
Our first year coaches have tended to get abnormally good results with their position groups (their first full recruiting classes on the other hand suck).

I just don't see us going against all 3 trends which we'd need to do to get to 7 wins. I think a surprising 10-11 win season is more in the cards with your win total returning in 2016 and a new coach in 2017.

All true. I add in a "burnout" factor, though.

As with the roster now, on the offensive side, the 1999 roster had very little to spark hope. No receivers to speak of returning, no quarterback, best running back chose to leave. The only real upside in 1999 is that the offensive line was experienced.

Now, Josh Heupel came in a did well in an offense totally different than OU had ever run. Few schools really saw much spread back then unless they had Florida or Kentucky on their schedules. So, OU had an advantage there.

But, to me, the biggest boost the 1999 squad got was the influx of new coaches and new expectations. The programs was very stagnant from 1994-1999. And, really, outside of 1993, from 1989-1999.

Today, the offensive side of the roster, outside of Perine, doesn't have hopeful written on it. It has some new faces in the coaching staff, but nothing like in 1999 where you had Stoops coming in from Florida, Kansas State absolutely raided of its best coaches, and a vet like Bobby Jack Wright coming in to square up Texas recruiting.

These new coaches don't have the same pop as the 1999 group. Plus, in 1999, the players were desperate to win. They'd been losing for years; and, lost many close games during the 5-6 1998 season.

I don't get the feeling that either the players or coaches in 2015 are as hungry as the 1999 group was. Could there have been a flatter spring practice. I mean, the biggest news was that the players walked out of practice ofr a few days because some frats boys were caught saying the n-word.

I just don't see us as a program with a ton of forward momentum. The players seem either overly comfortable or burned out. How else do you explain guys leaving when they should be eager to prove themselves to new coaches?

Either the new coaches haven't been able to light a fire underneath them. Or, they just aren't that good anyway, and never should have been given scholarships to OU. Either way, a lot of time seems to have been wasted during a time when we need some upward movement.

Eielson
5/18/2015, 04:10 PM
Even when the wheels completely come off for Bob, that's always been an 8 win season, and the wheels don't ever completely come off for 2 consecutive seasons. The odds are pretty good we will be top 15 or so with double-digit wins. I get it that some aren't happy with that, but anybody saying we'll only get 7 wins must have a depressing life.

badger
5/18/2015, 04:13 PM
I disagree on the running front. As long as we're bah hum bugging OU's 2015 season before it starts ;) beyond healthy Sterling Shepard, who has been a reliable receiving target that will return next season? As such, how long is it before the offense says "eff it we can run so let's run" instead?

If anyone's keeping score, the OU offense (a) won't run (b) can't catch and (c) can't throw, so (d) time to punt it's fourth down :eek:

badger
5/18/2015, 04:17 PM
Even when the wheels completely come off for Bob, that's always been an 8 win season, and the wheels don't ever completely come off for 2 consecutive seasons. The odds are pretty good we will be top 15 or so with double-digit wins. I get it that some aren't happy with that, but anybody saying we'll only get 7 wins must have a depressing life.

If you think we'll lose the games we lost last year (KSU, Baylor, OSU, TCU, bowl) and lose at Tennessee, it's a 7-win season. So, if I were to be a negative nancy, I'd go that route. KSU lost its best player (Tulsa's own Tyler Lockett), as did OSU (Tyreek Hill) so I am not on the 7-win bandwagon, but I think 10 is not a given.

BoulderSooner79
5/18/2015, 04:39 PM
I disagree on the running front. As long as we're bah hum bugging OU's 2015 season before it starts ;) beyond healthy Sterling Shepard, who has been a reliable receiving target that will return next season? As such, how long is it before the offense says "eff it we can run so let's run" instead?

If anyone's keeping score, the OU offense (a) won't run (b) can't catch and (c) can't throw, so (d) time to punt it's fourth down :eek:

and (e) and then re-punt after an opponent penalty.

Eielson
5/18/2015, 04:49 PM
If you think we'll lose the games we lost last year (KSU, Baylor, OSU, TCU, bowl) and lose at Tennessee, it's a 7-win season. So, if I were to be a negative nancy, I'd go that route. KSU lost its best player (Tulsa's own Tyler Lockett), as did OSU (Tyreek Hill) so I am not on the 7-win bandwagon, but I think 10 is not a given.

Even if Lockett and Hill came back, I don't see us losing to KSU, Baylor, OSU, TCU, Tennessee, and our bowl game. I'd say the odds are stacked against us going less than .500 for that stretch. Despite all the problems we had last year, we should have won every single one of those games other than Baylor and Clemson. Additionally, I don't see how we'll be worse at any position other than perhaps OL and DT, and I expect major improvements with the receivers and secondary.

Tear Down This Wall
5/19/2015, 01:21 PM

And, if possible, punt twice due to penalty! :acne:

Eielson
5/19/2015, 01:56 PM
Anybody else want to make a re-punt joke?

badger
5/19/2015, 03:50 PM
ooooo spek

Despite all the problems we had last year, we should have won every single one of those games other than Baylor and Clemson
I think Texas was saying about the same thing after 5-7. What'd they do to give Mack another chance? Replace their offensive coordinator or something? Anyone else notice how much Bob Stoops has "the clap" on the sidelines in recent seasons? :mack:

The NFL is considering a third option for the extra point: Kick it from the 15, go for two, or re-punt to Tyreek Hill blargghghghghghhghghghg :stunned:

BoulderSooner79
5/19/2015, 04:31 PM

I wasn't going for humor. Some posters have stated they get angry every time they get reminded of that play, so I was providing an opportunity to vent and cleanse their soul. A community service posting, if you will.

Eielson
5/19/2015, 06:18 PM
I wasn't going for humor. Some posters have stated they get angry every time they get reminded of that play, so I was providing an opportunity to vent and cleanse their soul. A community service posting, if you will.

TDTW said almost the exact same thing two posts and about 24 hours later, so I was wondering if we were having some kind of party.

Eielson
5/19/2015, 06:29 PM
I think Texas was saying about the same thing after 5-7. What'd they do to give Mack another chance? Replace their offensive coordinator or something? Anyone else notice how much Bob Stoops has "the clap" on the sidelines in recent seasons? :mack:

I'd agree with you if Mack was the only coach that ever existed, but what about Barry (1985-1987) and Osborne (1993-1997)?

Also, Texas did improve after their 5-7 season, as they went 8-5 the following year. That kind of improvement would put us in the 10 to 11 win range, which is right where I'd have us. Even Mack never dipped to 7 wins after his 5-7, and Mack is worst case scenario here. Osborne is best case scenario, and as a reasonable person, I'm going to put Bob somewhere in the middle.

BoulderSooner79
5/19/2015, 09:18 PM
TDTW said almost the exact same thing two posts and about 24 hours later, so I was wondering if we were having some kind of party.

I'm just saying mine wasn't a joke, so TDTWs joke posting was the only one.

badger
5/20/2015, 08:50 AM
Texas did improve after their 5-7 season, as they went 8-5 the following year

the 10 to 11 win range, which is right where I'd have us

I guess when so many college football coaches make the $5 million annual salary range, while their assistants pull down another few million collectively there's not much room for coaching accountability anymore. After all, Texas A&M is paying Kevin Sumlin $5 million to not win the SEC division or conference, not go to BCS bowls and... what the hell, Aggies. :rcmad:

Is 10-11 wins really the going rate for a top paid coach these days in a 13, 14, potentially 15-game season? No wonder Texas fired/allowed to gracefully resign Mack Brown when he "improved" to 8 wins.

The player transfers and dismissals, the coaching changes, and the endless references to the Sugar Bowl victory over Bama after last season means that OU fans should expect and demand more than 10-11, in my most humble of humble opinions. Save the excuses for the 8-win season... not for the season that follows that 8-win season :mad:

EDIT: The endless Sugar Bowl references in question: Mike Stoops post 8-win season interview:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ou/ouhomepage3/john-e-hoover-mike-stoops-finally-gets-defensive/article_5a792d7c-9713-5d5e-99b5-caf142144b56.html

BoulderSooner79
5/20/2015, 10:32 AM
$5M is not what it used to be. Remember, Bob has to pay the July air conditioning bill on that behemoth out west of I35.

Tear Down This Wall
5/20/2015, 11:01 AM
ooooo spek

The NFL is considering a third option for the extra point: Kick it from the 15, go for two, or re-punt to Tyreek Hill blargghghghghghhghghghg :stunned:

That's the thing - these coaches have so many contract extensions from just one superior seasons that two things happen:
(1) The coaches get very comfortable.
(2) It becomes difficult to disentangle from the coach when things get mediocre.

Texas is having to rebuild from hanging on to Mack Brown for too long. I fear that we'll be in the same boat in a season or two.

Tear Down This Wall
5/20/2015, 11:02 AM
As far as the punt return fiasco, it should be brought up as often as possible. It shows how far the judgement of Bob Stoops has fallen.

badger
5/20/2015, 11:34 AM
coaches get very comfortable
One of the reasons I loved and hated the Mike Stoops vs John Hoover postseason interview simultaneously --- it was a reminder of how quickly we fell off the almighty Bama win, but it made Mike squirm over the fact that he couldn't stop the pass-happy Big 12 offenses we faced.

Sadly, if we indeed have two more transfers beyond Keith Ford this offsesaon in those two DBs, Tito and other guy, we are probably not going to do much better next year... could either of our awesome running backs play defensive back instead...or both? Keith, come back! We need help on defense! :(

SoonerorLater
5/20/2015, 11:38 AM
I wonder if we are criticizing Bob Stoops for the correct lapse of judgement. Something I don't understand. The only way you re-punt that with less than a minute to go and the opposing team on their own 15 yard line is if you have zero faith in your defense. So if Bob has so little confidence in his defense then why does Mike Stoops still have a job?

badger
5/20/2015, 12:16 PM
why does Mike Stoops still have a job?
Players have been quoted as saying that Mike is being a lot less yell and a lot more quiet since last season. If seeing is believing, the spring game broadcast showed Mike upstairs in the press box using his indoor voice, rather than being his usual hyper yelling self on the sidelines.

In a nutshell, Mike's "job" is a shell of what it used to be.

Eielson
5/20/2015, 12:55 PM
Is 10-11 wins really the going rate for a top paid coach these days in a 13, 14, potentially 15-game season? No wonder Texas fired/allowed to gracefully resign Mack Brown when he "improved" to 8 wins.

That's an entirely different discussion. If you want to say 10-3 seasons are grounds for firing Bob, then have at it. My argument if you actually think 7-6 is a reasonable scenario for next year, and 10 wins isn't, then somebody probably pissed in your cereal.

badger
5/20/2015, 01:13 PM
I don't mean to sound unreasonable; 10 wins is doable. Whether or not that fires Bob is up to the big money donors that foot both the buyout and next coach's salary bills. I'm really not sure how much they like or dislike Bob. Bob's never exactly been the kiss-arse that Mack was :mack:

KantoSooner
5/20/2015, 01:39 PM
Okay, let's see where we stand:

1. Last year sucked.
2. Our transfer/washout/dismissal rate is within a percentage point of the P5 average and 2% higher than 'Bama's. And the sky is falling and Bob needs to be fired.
3. In a league without a CCG and setting aside the potential of going to the Natl CG (so total of 13 games) we're speculating that 10-3 and Bob's tenure needs to be seriously reviewed.

While I think that's a bit harsh, so be it. The man makes a princely salary and knew, when he took the job, that fans at ANY major football power are on the way to being certifiably insane. It goes with the territory.

All that said, let's say we get the wishes of the harsher and sh*tcan Bob. What then? We could go after some wunderkind. But no. We've all been told, ad nauseum, that such people are not up to OU's standards. (Lincoln Riley is example 'A' of this reasoning.) So, presumably, we're talking about a tried and true, established coach from a big name program, with a proven record of winning at the highest level. Let's put aside the pesky facts that none of Benny, Bud, Barry or, indeed, Bob, fit this description when they came to OU. And all they did was win Nattys.
Who did? Well, there was Schnelly and was Jim MacKenzie. for two. They really tore it up for us.
And if Texas couldn't buy Saban, why on earth would anyone think we could. And in an oil industry downturn, to boot.
Who, exactly, are we going to call up on the Batphone and have romp on over immediatamente-like to bring home #8 for us? Muy pronto.
I do not want a situation in which Bob is shown the door without him passing his replacement when the elevator doors open. And, frankly, I'm not seeing a bunch of candidates who inspire confidence out there.
Or we could just go hire Lane Kiffin.
It'd be about the only job in college football that he hasn't already held.

Tear Down This Wall
5/20/2015, 04:27 PM
Um...all of those coaches came from national programs. Barry was part of Arkansas' 1964 national title coaching staff. Bob was part of the coaching staff that led Florida to a national title. Minnesota was a national power in the 1930s and 40s; Wilkinson coached there in the 40s.

We haven't hired up, okay? It's a problem. There isn't one coaching position changed that is better off now than it was last season - and, last season was bad.

It starts at the top.

badger
5/20/2015, 04:33 PM
Since this thread was originally about Keith Ford... interesting tidbit out on the Internets:

“I want to play for a coach that wants to see me succeed academically and treat me more like a man,” he said. “My last coach treated me like I was in high school. I want someone who will be straight up and really, really talk with me.”
http://tamu.247sports.com/Bolt/Keith-Ford-looking-to-start-a-new-chapter-will-it-be-at-AM-37352520

Ouch. I don't expect sunshine and roses from a guy transferring. I still don't like that being said about our coaching staff by anyone

Eielson
5/20/2015, 04:49 PM
There isn't one coaching position changed that is better off now than it was last season - and, last season was bad.

Yeah...except for the OC, WR's, and Secondary coach.

KantoSooner
5/20/2015, 04:58 PM
Um...all of those coaches came from national programs. Barry was part of Arkansas' 1964 national title coaching staff. Bob was part of the coaching staff that led Florida to a national title. Minnesota was a national power in the 1930s and 40s; Wilkinson coached there in the 40s.

We haven't hired up, okay? It's a problem. There isn't one coaching position changed that is better off now than it was last season - and, last season was bad.

It starts at the top.

Barry was, I believe, a GA on that AR staff. Bud was a junior asst. Bob had a pedigree but had never been the HMFIC of any team at any level that I'm aware of. While you're technically correct in what you say; I'd lay money that you would trash any one of those hires if made today.

Two, how do you know whether the new coaches are worse than their predecessors? Riley worse than Josh? Gundy worse than Norvell? Really?

Allow me a quick Immelman here: let's say I accept your argument. Let's get rid of the Bobber. Who do you want to hire? And, for purposes of staying in the realms of reality, Harbaugh and Saban are off the table. And it has to be a real person, alive and in the prime of his career now. (So, for example, you could choose Landry Jones, but Tom Landry would be out of bounds).

Bitchin' is easy, fissin' is harder.

badger
5/21/2015, 09:45 AM
The change would happen after the season, not right now, so it would be difficult to speculate. For example, Frank Haith was coming off a 30-win Big 12 tournament champion season with a 2-seed in the NCAA tournament at Mizzou and then the next season, Tulsa hired him. If TU fans said that their ideal candidate to replace a departing Danny Manning was Frank Haith at the beginning of the season, you'd tell them they're crazy.

So go ahead and dream of a Saban, Jimbo or a Harbaugh, college football fans longing for a coaching change. Anything can happen between now and next offseason

KantoSooner
5/21/2015, 10:03 AM
That's the joy of the college game. With so much turn over, you're never really sure what you've got coming back and dramatic changes in performance are the rule rather than the exception.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/21/2015, 10:30 AM
Since this thread was originally about Keith Ford... interesting tidbit out on the Internets:

http://tamu.247sports.com/Bolt/Keith-Ford-looking-to-start-a-new-chapter-will-it-be-at-AM-37352520

Ouch. I don't expect sunshine and roses from a guy transferring. I still don't like that being said about our coaching staff by anyone

You are upset that one of our coaches was badgering someone about going to class? The coach was trying to quickly dig him out of a hole that he got himself into. The coach probably read this and went "WTF?"

badger
5/21/2015, 10:41 AM
I have no idea if the coach's discussion was about class attendance or about following your blockers. All I know is this is not the first time he's spoken about Jay Boulware publicly... but last time it was a much softer stance.

TW: When did you decide to transfer?

Ford: “After the coaching change there, it didn’t start off right. I talked to my parents. I didn’t like the coach. We were just talking that I think I should leave. First of all, we made sure we got my grades squared away to make sure I would be eligible to transfer. We did that, and I decided to transfer away from OU.”

TW: What coach are you referring to?

Ford: “The running backs coach (Jay Boulware, who moved to running backs coach in OU’s staff change last February).”

TW: What was the problem?

Ford: “It just wasn’t the right fit. His style of coaching was not my style. I had a relationship with Coach Gundy (Cale Gundy, the running backs coach before switching to inside receivers). I really came to OU because of Coach Gundy, because I wanted to work with him. I didn’t really know this guy and his actions didn’t fit the way I wanted to be coached.”

Maybe it was because Ford Sr. was also in on the interview?
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sports/ou-sports-keith-ford-explains-his-decision-to-leave-the/article_da348ffa-f6b8-55aa-bc32-cb5483c1f36e.html

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/21/2015, 11:13 AM
I have no idea if the coach's discussion was about class attendance or about following your blockers. All I know is this is not the first time he's spoken about Jay Boulware publicly... but last time it was a much softer stance.
Maybe it was because Ford Sr. was also in on the interview?
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sports/ou-sports-keith-ford-explains-his-decision-to-leave-the/article_da348ffa-f6b8-55aa-bc32-cb5483c1f36e.html

In the offseason, there is a limit to how much you can talk to a student athlete about anything other than educational items (remember our NCAA violation a few years back about asking about why someone wasn't attending voluntary workouts?). Boolware had only been his coach during the offseason when he decided to transfer. 2 + 2

KantoSooner
5/21/2015, 11:28 AM
I like Keith Ford. I like Jay Boulware. In the sense that I like what I've seen of both. Don't know either personally. Kind of doubt it was one thing only that led to Ford's departure. Circumstances change and Ford needs to be a featured back if he's going to position himself for the draft. So, meh, not a lot of news here.
Sorry to see him go, hope its for the best for him. OU frees up a schollie. Pretty much end of story.

badger
5/21/2015, 01:49 PM
The OU program has been very hush-hush this offseason aside from some transfers, dismissals and then hey look who's not playing in the spring game speculation. I understand why, I just would love to hear something good just to know everyone's doing all right :(

And yeah, I know I'm not entitled to shizzle and that I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for offseason good news

Tear Down This Wall
5/22/2015, 10:29 AM
Barry was, I believe, a GA on that AR staff. Bud was a junior asst. Bob had a pedigree but had never been the HMFIC of any team at any level that I'm aware of. While you're technically correct in what you say; I'd lay money that you would trash any one of those hires if made today.

Two, how do you know whether the new coaches are worse than their predecessors? Riley worse than Josh? Gundy worse than Norvell? Really?

Allow me a quick Immelman here: let's say I accept your argument. Let's get rid of the Bobber. Who do you want to hire? And, for purposes of staying in the realms of reality, Harbaugh and Saban are off the table. And it has to be a real person, alive and in the prime of his career now. (So, for example, you could choose Landry Jones, but Tom Landry would be out of bounds).

Bitchin' is easy, fissin' is harder.

Barry Switzer was not a GA. He was a position coach, and OU hired him to be the offensive coordinator.

Yes, Riley worse than Josh. Easily. He coached in a far inferior conference and, even then, wasn't producing better offenses than Josh. Temple held ECU to 10 points last season. Temple.

Gundy is now misplaced. He always had a running back ready from unknowns like Quentin Griffin to walkons like Allen Patrick and Dominique Whaley. Now, the position is held in such low regard that they've stuck Jay Boulware on it. You know, Jay Boulware, the tight ends coach whose tight ends weren't producing. And, he handled special teams that were - to put it mildly - not so special.

In fact, they've taken Boulware and glommed three duties on him now - running backs, fullbacks, and still special teams. He couldn't coach two positions worth a crap, now they have him coaching three?

And, you want to argue that the running back coach position is in better shape fro 2015 than in 2014?

He's lost. Bob Stoops is absolutely lost. Jay Boulware, of any of the 2014 coaches, is one who should have been cut loose. But, here is he taking the place of the only coach on the offensive side of the ball who consistently had guys ready last year...and, every year he coached running backs.

Crazy.

5/22/2015, 10:38 AM
Geez, TDTW, looks like we shouldn't even step on the field this year. Can we maybe just get lucky?

KantoSooner
5/22/2015, 10:45 AM
No. We may not!
On the plus side, if TDTW really believes what he's saying, he'll sell me his season's tickets cheap, 'cause it's going to be such an aweful season and all. LOL

Tear Down This Wall
5/22/2015, 10:46 AM
No, we need to step onto the field. And, when we get our as*ses handed to us 4 to 6 times again, more people will wake up and start paying attention.

badger
5/22/2015, 10:53 AM
OK, now Keith Ford is really starting to sound a bit whiny.

He follows Aggie senior Brandon Williams as former five-star runners to transfer from Oklahoma to A&M. The two spoke today while Ford was on the A&M campus.

“Brandon told me that it was very laid back up there and he said if you do what you need to do that everything will be fine,” he said. “He said that A&M allows you to create your own path and your own destiny. He said everyone really cares about your school work and getting your degree. It was nice to hear about how much they put back into academics because that wasn’t something I experienced at OU.”
http://tamu.247sports.com/Bolt/Breaking-Keith-Ford-an-Aggie-37392290

Now it's time for me to be snarky: Brandon Williams must *really* be focused on those spectacular, superior Texas A&M academics, because he sure as hell doesn't have the football stats befitting a former five-star recruit, eh?

2014 (JUNIOR)

Contributed 374 yards and three touchdowns on 86 carries and 65 yards on nine catches while seeing action in every game (six starts) ... had a career-high 71 yards on 19 carries against ULM ... long carry was a 27-yarder against Rice.

2013 (SOPHOMORE):

Amassed 302 all-purpose yards – 269 rushing, 17 receiving and 16 kick return – and two touchdowns in his first season in maroon and white … Logged playing time in the final 11 games at running back … scored a touchdown in the first game of his Aggie career, catching a career-best 10-yard pass against Sam Houston State (Sept. 7) … had a career-high 68 yards – 61 rushing and seven receiving – against Vanderbilt (Oct. 26) … scored the first rushing TD of his career against the Commodores, a seven-yard run … The longest rush of his career was a 43-yard play at Missouri (Nov. 30) … averaged 6.1 yards per rush and 3.4 yards per catch on the year.

Five touchdowns in two seasons! Only six more touchdowns and he'll score as many as OU did against Texas A&M in our 2003 game! Whooooooooop! :rcmad:

deweydw
5/22/2015, 10:54 AM
Looks like it's official, he's going to Aggieland (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/22/ex-sooner-rb-keith-ford-says-hes-going-to-aggieland/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs).

“I’m going to Aggieland,” Ford said to 247Sports Thursday night. “What really helped me come to my decision was when I sat down with Coach (Kevin) Sumlin. It didn’t sound like it was rehearsed or anything. He was just talking to me man-to-man and laid out his expectations for me. He also wanted me to believe in him. After I heard all of that I was like, ‘Yea, I’m coming here.’ I can’t wait to get up there.”

He will have to sit out the 2015 season.

olevetonahill
5/22/2015, 11:28 AM
No, we need to step onto the field. And, when we get our as*ses handed to us 4 to 6 times again, more people will wake up and start paying attention.

What is it with you? Did Bob Screw yer wife er sompun?

EatLeadCommie
5/22/2015, 07:32 PM
OK, Keith Ford. I always pulled for you, but don't badmouth your old school when they gave you plenty of opportunities and helped with your transfer. I somehow doubt that you were academically suspended because you didn't have tutors and things available to you. Good luck in Aggieland and kindly shut your piehole. You showed a lot more promise than Brandon Williams did, and I think you will do well in the SEC if you can hold onto the football.

SicEmBaylor
5/22/2015, 09:46 PM
I have absolutely no respect for someone who voluntarily associates themselves with that m'r f'n sh*thole.

graphster
5/22/2015, 09:50 PM
Barry Switzer was not a GA. He was a position coach, and OU hired him to be the offensive coordinator.

Yes, Riley worse than Josh. Easily. He coached in a far inferior conference and, even then, wasn't producing better offenses than Josh. Temple held ECU to 10 points last season. Temple.

Gundy is now misplaced. He always had a running back ready from unknowns like Quentin Griffin to walkons like Allen Patrick and Dominique Whaley. Now, the position is held in such low regard that they've stuck Jay Boulware on it. You know, Jay Boulware, the tight ends coach whose tight ends weren't producing. And, he handled special teams that were - to put it mildly - not so special.

In fact, they've taken Boulware and glommed three duties on him now - running backs, fullbacks, and still special teams. He couldn't coach two positions worth a crap, now they have him coaching three?

And, you want to argue that the running back coach position is in better shape fro 2015 than in 2014?

He's lost. Bob Stoops is absolutely lost. Jay Boulware, of any of the 2014 coaches, is one who should have been cut loose. But, here is he taking the place of the only coach on the offensive side of the ball who consistently had guys ready last year...and, every year he coached running backs.

Crazy.

Is this a bad time to point out that Blake Bell got drafted in the fourth round as a TE, after only one year at the position?

Saban and Meyer dominate CFB right now. Stoops isn't near that level, but it's not clear that anybody else is either, over the long term. Fisher and Malzahn are also up there, but haven't done it consistently for as long. Since there's no way we can hire one of those four, what can we do? Those guys are also all the masterminds of their offensive or defensive systems (unlike Stoops who does not seem to be nearly as involved in game-planing/playcalling) and more or less run the show, so it's not clear that you can replicate their success by hiring people from their staff. Lots of guys who worked with them have gotten HC jobs elsewhere and looked pretty average.

Part of the reason those guys are able to win consistently is because they are personally responsible for so much of what their teams do on either offense or defense (depending on which side of the ball they work on), that they can lose assistant coaches and it doesn't affect them as much. All they need to do is get a competent coordinator to handle the other side of the ball, and a bunch of position coaches who can recruit and teach good technique, and they're good. Bob, on the other hand, relies on his coordinators a lot more. Which kind of sets you up to fail, because eventually if you're successful (like we were during the 2000s), people are going to hire those guys away to be HC's, and then you're looking losing any strategic advantage you used to have unless you can make another homerun hire.

5/23/2015, 12:13 AM
PROLLY SO!

Good thing our lives don't depend upon winning NC's

mainline13
5/24/2015, 11:31 AM

Here I was thinking you couldn't get any funnier, but you did!

mainline13
5/24/2015, 12:13 PM

Crazy.

Or you could say these things about those exact points, and have just as valid an opinion:

ECU scored multiple times against the #4 D in the country - and they did it with generally less athletic players than we typically have here at OU.

Gundy is the guy who kept having defection of our highest rated RBs, so "displacement" may be the answer. We get to keep him as a recruiter, which is where he shines the brightest.

Bouleware coached Blake Bell and Ripkowski into NFL draft picks; Whether the TEs were well used is more of a reflection on the OC. And the re-kick we all like to mention so much - that isn't completely on Bouleware, either. His ST got the Pokes stuck on their own 15, I'd call that a success.

All this doesn't mean you're wrong, or that i'm right - it's just an exchange of opinions. It's how we learn, right - listening to someone else? How can one learn anything from repeating his/her own opinion?

graphster
5/24/2015, 03:16 PM
Would this also be a bad time to point out that Temple had the #6 scoring defense in the country last year?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/26/2015, 02:39 PM
Gundy is the guy who kept having defection of our highest rated RBs, so "displacement" may be the answer. We get to keep him as a recruiter, which is where he shines the brightest.

My only nitpick here is that we watched these kids carry the ball at OU in games. I don't care what some of these guys were rated out of high school, they weren't very good at the college level. A good example is Jermie Calhoun - he had zero vision (1/2 of his carries he just ran into the pile). He then transfers to Angelo State where he only started as a Senior and totaled 930 yards and 5 TDs. That was bad evaluation by a lot of people and we were the ones that got burned by it (the experts that year were horrendous - https://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1821/0).

badger
5/26/2015, 02:48 PM
All this doesn't mean you're wrong, or that i'm right - it's just an exchange of opinions. It's how we learn, right - listening to someone else? How can one learn anything from repeating his/her own opinion?

It's all good. It's the Internet. By all means share your opinion and then watch it be exchanged out for the correct one, hehe ;) For example...

Bouleware coached Blake Bell and Ripkowski into NFL draft picks

I'd give the players far more credit on that front and I cannot be happier for either, unless they were both with my Green Bay Packers. Ripkowski was a walk-on who earned every snap he got and Bell had to transfer positions to stay at OU, so he did and he made the most of it.

cvsooner
5/26/2015, 03:15 PM
Would this also be a bad time to point out that Temple had the #6 scoring defense in the country last year?

Don't bring facts to an argument on the internet. You'll screw it up.

BoulderSooner79
5/26/2015, 03:29 PM

Practice makes perfect.

badger
5/26/2015, 04:41 PM
How many times do I have to say OU will win another title during my lifetime for it to become true? I am feeling incredibly left out, having not moved to Oklahoma until 2001 :(

I will recite it daily if necessary

Eielson
5/26/2015, 06:24 PM
How many times do I have to say OU will win another title during my lifetime for it to become true? I am feeling incredibly left out, having not moved to Oklahoma until 2001 :(

I will recite it daily if necessary

Just eat your vegetables.