PDA

View Full Version : Former Husker great Lawrence Phillips suspect in jail murder

cvsooner
4/13/2015, 05:21 PM
Another reminder that no matter how talented you are on the gridiron, you need to be a decent human being first.

http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/inmate-deaths-at-kern-valley-state-prison-being-investigated-as-homicides

EatLeadCommie
4/13/2015, 07:48 PM
Didn't Dr. Tom cover his *** when he was in Lincoln?

Eielson
4/13/2015, 10:41 PM
Somebody probably called him the "N" word.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/14/2015, 02:31 AM
What? Nowledgable?

Soonerjeepman
4/14/2015, 12:11 PM
Didn't Dr. Tom cover his *** when he was in Lincoln?

yeah, I thought he got in trouble for beating up his GF or something like that...but was not really punished...course these days he'd be kicked off the team (rightfully so)

Aries
4/14/2015, 12:34 PM
Best I remember, he got kicked off the team for the last few games of that season. But by the bowl game, Dr. Tom decided he had been rehabbed and let him play in the bowl game.

KantoSooner
4/14/2015, 01:00 PM
He picked his gf up by the ankles and swung her head against a tree. And the sainted dr. Tom put him back on the team.

REDREX
4/14/2015, 01:37 PM
He was academic all big eight at Neb----True story

Soonerfan88
4/14/2015, 04:59 PM
IMO, the worst part of Dr. Tom & Neb's cover-up for Phillips was taking away the girl's basketball scholarship. Now that's just dirty.

Since71ASooner4Life
4/14/2015, 07:06 PM
Another reminder that no matter how talented you are on the gridiron, you need to be a decent human being first.

Amen

SoCalBigRed
4/15/2015, 10:27 PM
He resides about 30 minutes N of me. Prison is in Delano.

EatLeadCommie
4/15/2015, 11:34 PM
He picked his gf up by the ankles and swung her head against a tree. And the sainted dr. Tom put him back on the team.

Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Jason Voorhies from one of the Friday The 13th movies? Pretty sure that was a method of death for a poor horny teenage camper girl in one of the sequels.

Eielson
4/15/2015, 11:40 PM
He resides about 30 minutes N of me. Prison is in Delano.

Please stop using the N word around me.

KantoSooner
4/16/2015, 10:55 AM
Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Jason Voorhies from one of the Friday The 13th movies? Pretty sure that was a method of death for a poor horny teenage camper girl in one of the sequels.
I'm remembering an SI article of the time. Clearly not personal knowledge. Perhaps the inspiration went the other way?

bluedogok
4/16/2015, 04:17 PM
Somebody probably called him the "N" word.
Nebbish?

stoopified
4/16/2015, 08:31 PM
I'm remembering an SI article of the time. Clearly not personal knowledge. Perhaps the inspiration went the other way?Phillips actually dragged his ex GF down the stairs by her hair after breaking into her 3rd floor apartment.SHE WAS IN BED WITH HER NEW bf,WHO HAPPENED TO BE NEXT YEAR'S STARTING QB(FROST?).

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
4/16/2015, 08:34 PM
Aaron Hernandez will be looking for a roommate now. Maybe they hook up?

Eielson
4/17/2015, 12:25 AM

I cant' find this story.

I did find a story about him getting mad about losing a pickup game, though. He, of course, responded in the only reasonable way; by driving a stolen car onto the field at high speeds and running over a few teenagers.

This guy makes Aaron Hernandez look like a saint.

KantoSooner
4/17/2015, 03:28 PM
I remember it pretty clearly; I was more easily shocked back in my youth. But, it was several decades ago and I could be putting together several different stories. I do remember the dragging the gf down the stairs and also stories about the guy running for miles naked, in the rain.

I'm not going to go searching for it and we seem to be largely in agreement about the guy's character, so I'll let it drop and assume it was my memory at fault.

Eielson
4/17/2015, 05:53 PM
I'm not calling you a liar. I just was hoping to find the story (I mean...I wish it wasn't true...but if it was, I wanted to verify it).

lexsooner
4/17/2015, 06:07 PM
It was only a matter of time before Phillips murdered someone. He was always a violent sociopath. After his short NFL career, he got mad at some guys with whom he played a pick up basketball game and drove his car into them. It's telling that after he was assessed and classified by the California Dept. of Corrections, he ended up in Kern Valley state prison, which is a maximum security joint.

Salt City Sooner
4/17/2015, 11:43 PM
I remember it pretty clearly; I was more easily shocked back in my youth. But, it was several decades ago and I could be putting together several different stories. I do remember the dragging the gf down the stairs and also stories about the guy running for miles naked, in the rain.

I'm not going to go searching for it and we seem to be largely in agreement about the guy's character, so I'll let it drop and assume it was my memory at fault.
Sure you're not thinking about this guy? It was pretty hard to keep them straight after a while. :)

Soon thereafter, police received several calls concerning the actions of Baldwin, who was naked and making his way eight blocks to a Lincoln residence.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-09-07/sports/sp-161_1_nebraska-player

Oh, & re: the Phillips case, the death has been ruled homicide by strangulation:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12705629/coroner-death-lawrence-phillips-cellmate-ruled-homicide