PDA

View Full Version : Spring Game

pappy
4/11/2015, 04:20 PM
The offense was vanilla (which makes sense for a spring game) and the defense forced several turnovers.

Dede Westbrook is very explosive.

Mark Andrews looks like another Jermaine Gresham.

Jeff Mead made several nice catches.

The offense was very balanced. Thought Mayfield looked the most comfortable, but made a few bad decisions. 1 was he threw deep into triple coverage which resulted in an interception.

Brooks looked good at running back but he won't see much time, just too much depth at running back.

The defense was vanilla too.

ObiKaTony
4/11/2015, 05:24 PM
Not much to say really. I think mayfield has the starting position wrapped up...

ObiKaTony
4/11/2015, 05:28 PM
Once again we saw knight just not be able to throw the ball accurately. He reminds me a lot of Chris Rix. Tons of talent makes spectacular plays mixed in with more bad plays than spectacular...

cherokeebrewer
4/11/2015, 05:42 PM
I really like that swing pass in the flat to Ross that he took down the sideline for a TD. Bet we see that again to him and Mixon. Yep, Dede is fast and slippery...secondary defense looked better than I thought it would. Hopefully that's the Kerry Cooks influence.

pappy
4/11/2015, 07:20 PM
Once again we saw knight just not be able to throw the ball accurately. He reminds me a lot of Chris Rix. Tons of talent makes spectacular plays mixed in with more bad plays than spectacular...

Completely agree...There was a play in the first half where Shepard got wide open going down the middle of the field nobody within 10 yards of him, if he catches it he walks into the end zone and Knight over threw him by 10 yards.

rock on sooner
4/11/2015, 07:45 PM
Can't tell much so far from the comments...here in IA dint get
to watch.....

SoonersinIowa
4/11/2015, 07:55 PM
Its on at 8pm Rock

REDREX
4/11/2015, 08:58 PM
Mayfield is not that good

BoulderSooner79
4/11/2015, 08:59 PM
Can't tell much so far from the comments...here in IA dint get
to watch.....

Go over the LT and you'll get the picture: this team would be pressed to beat a good HS team.

In other words: DOOMED!

Tear Down This Wall
4/13/2015, 09:50 AM

None of them are; that's the problem we're going to have this season...again. Plus, we're running a high school offense.

Sad to watch Stoops on the decline like this after his fast start. But, nothing good lasts forever. Gotta be keeping our eyes out for the new hire in 2016 or 2017. Just have to hope Castiglione is awake enough to see what is happening and is preparing a short list of coaches to call when the time comes.

badger
4/13/2015, 10:28 AM
Did anyone else stuck at home notice the kinder, gentler Mike Stoops with his quiet demeanor, glasses and press box designation yesterday?

After about a decade of him screaming on the sideline, perhaps he's been nuzzled. Or perhaps, he's getting old and is finally ready to settle down and be a fatherly figure of support and encouragement rather than continuous tough love.

BoulderSooner79
4/13/2015, 12:38 PM
Did anyone else stuck at home notice the kinder, gentler Mike Stoops with his quiet demeanor, glasses and press box designation yesterday?

After about a decade of him screaming on the sideline, perhaps he's been nuzzled. Or perhaps, he's getting old and is finally ready to settle down and be a fatherly figure of support and encouragement rather than continuous tough love.

Did you really mean "nuzzled" (thinks co-ed fraternizing allegations) or "muzzled" ?

;)

badger
4/13/2015, 12:46 PM
I probably meant muzzled but maybe big bad Mike Stoops just needed a cuddle to soften up his crazy side ;)

YES, I AGREE THAT BAKER MAYFIELD IS NOT THAT GOOD. OPPOSING DEFENSES, PLEASE TAKE NOTE THAT YOU CAN LEAVE OUR WIDE RECEIVERS WIDE OPEN... that's it, stack the box... single man coverage... I SUGGEST ZERO-MAN COVERAGE... yup... expect the run... DID I MENTION THAT SAMAJE PERINE IS THE NCAA SINGLE-GAME RECORD HOLDER AND YOU DON'T WANT TO BE *THAT* TEAM THAT GIVES UP MORE YARDAGE TO HIM?

ok that should suffice. ;)

BoulderSooner79
4/13/2015, 12:49 PM
None of them are; that's the problem we're going to have this season...again. Plus, we're running a high school offense.

Sad to watch Stoops on the decline like this after his fast start. But, nothing good lasts forever. Gotta be keeping our eyes out for the new hire in 2016 or 2017. Just have to hope Castiglione is awake enough to see what is happening and is preparing a short list of coaches to call when the time comes.

At least you have moved on to the acceptance phase of grief.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/13/2015, 01:45 PM
I personally didn't think that Mayfield was all that bad. Yes, he made some bad decisions on those deep outs to 2nd and 3rd stringers, but historically, we are a better team when we have someone willing to go down the field versus someone who only throws around the LOS. Remember in 2002 when Hybl went 200 throws without an INT and then threw 4 against Texas? Sometimes, they have your number. At least they weren't taken back to the house.

Pros:
1. He sells the shovel pass like Heupel - more than any other play I saw this weekend, getting the shovel pass back made me the most excited. The shovel pass is the most effective way we have to keep linebackers from sitting on our slants and shallow crosses. You combine 2-3 shovel passes with our running game and we are going to have guys running free under the safeties all day long.

2. He hits the slant/cross in stride. That is all you need in this offense to make it click until the bowl game. Honestly, the only piece of the puzzle we are missing is someone who is an artist at the option route.

Other notes:

1. Knight throws better with lousy footwork than good footwork. [shakes head]. He was closer to hitting the goal post than Sterling on that wide open post route.
2. Probably should think about using Knight in the "belldozer" package around the goal line.
3. Our secondary is fast but not quick. Lots of inconsistency, but when they hit their assignments they showed some good things. They catch better than last year's WRs.
4. These WRs were sitting on the bench last year? Neal will be lucky to see the field if these kids keep it up. WTF Norvell?
5. Most impressive hit was by a walkon safety. ugh.
6. I think I like Hansen the most out of the QBs because he takes what is given without forcing the issue. The problem is that he is too raw on his reads right now. He'd probably be the starter in any traditional offense.

BoulderSooner79
4/13/2015, 02:10 PM
5. Most impressive hit was by a walkon safety. ugh.

Or maybe he didn't get the message about no big hits allowed.

Eielson
4/13/2015, 02:53 PM
2. Probably should think about using Knight in the "belldozer" package around the goal line.

I was wondering about the same thing. If Knight doesn't win the starting job, I almost have to think we'd be able to use him in some other situations, and maybe not just goal line. I wouldn't necessarily say that about most of our recent OC's, but I trust LR will find a way.

4. These WRs were sitting on the bench last year? Neal will be lucky to see the field if these kids keep it up. WTF Norvell?

But were they at this level last year? I was going to say that they might have needed the RS, but...we used up Mead's without getting him a single catch (yeah...WTF Norvell?) At least Andrews redshirted. I was thinking the exact same thing about Neal, though, but I'm a little torn. Part of me thinks this new offense/coaching staff will do him a world of good, and the other half thinks it might not matter due to the rest of the talent.

Eielson
4/13/2015, 02:54 PM
Or maybe he didn't get the message about no big hits allowed.

Was our secondary allowed to tackle at all?

BoulderSooner79
4/13/2015, 02:56 PM

That's my story and I sticking to it.

badger
4/15/2015, 08:31 AM
heh heh heh now that you mention that it all makes sense ;)

no wonder mike stoops was a choir boy upstairs --- his defenders were just doing as instructed ;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/15/2015, 02:22 PM
heh heh heh now that you mention that it all makes sense ;)

no wonder mike stoops was a choir boy upstairs --- his defenders were just doing as instructed ;)

Oh you guys were talking about the spring game and not last season...

Tear Down This Wall
4/16/2015, 11:59 AM
At least you have moved on to the acceptance phase of grief.

Long, long ago...when Mike was hired back. It's like in the 70s and 80s when the Yankees would hire, fire, and hire again Billy Martin. It's hard to "re-magic" things.

The poor hiring choices on the defensive side of the ball over the past half dozen years or so were nothing but a harbinger of the bad hirings to come on the offensive side of the ball.

The athletic department does a great job of hammering a smiling face on the sinking ship, though, you have to admit. Joe C. and the bunch must have learned from this guy:

http://static1.972mag.com/wp-content/uploads//2010/08/Iraqi-Information-Minister.jpeg

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/16/2015, 01:16 PM
I don't really think you are going to have anyone disagree with you on the D. When the rumors started swirling he was coming back, we had a long thread talking about his weakness in recruiting DBs. Since that point, we've gotten much better at corner, much weaker at safety, weaker at DE (through scheme), better then worse at DT, and much more inconsistent at LB (where we've went from bad to this bouncing ball of bad to average).

Mazeppa
4/17/2015, 08:06 PM
I didn't get much out the game, with that stupid music playing and the band playing at the same time, I couldn't understand the PA guy and no names on the jerseys didn't help me much either.

badger
4/20/2015, 10:00 AM
I watched the Texas spring game on Longwhorn Network and it was hilariously bad. The first two touchdowns were QB scrambles... because the defense wasn't allowed to touch the QB. Tee hee. :mack:

Harris County Sooner
4/20/2015, 06:00 PM
I watched the Texas spring game on Longwhorn Network and it was hilariously bad. The first two touchdowns were QB scrambles... because the defense wasn't allowed to touch the QB. Tee hee. :mack:
They will get touched enough come October 10th.

SoonerMarkVA
4/20/2015, 06:27 PM

Oy! Can you say "season ending injury"?

SoonersinIowa
4/21/2015, 11:50 AM
Knight doesnt sell the fake handoff very well. Cody does the best job of this but doesnt always make the best read. I think that idea needs to go away. Ride what you have.. neither of these guys can run the "Dozer" type package.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/21/2015, 12:42 PM
Knight doesnt sell the fake handoff very well. Cody does the best job of this but doesnt always make the best read. I think that idea needs to go away. Ride what you have.. neither of these guys can run the "Dozer" type package.

No offense, but we were really good at converting TDs inside the red zone last year (72% of all trips compared with 52% in 2013). Our problem was getting there. We only scored 15 TDs from outside the red zone all year.

Mayfield on the other hand reeks of a Mike Leach QB. He can move the ball at will between the 20's but he struggles to put the ball into the end zone when the defense gets compacted. To overcome this, he was trying to force big plays from the 40 to 50 yard line instead of just marching down the 20 and stalling. That tendency isn't going to go away. By having Trevor in a package inside the 20 you reign in the higher risk throws and utilize his skill set.

EatLeadCommie
4/21/2015, 05:22 PM
We could score last year due to the run game, and not because of some kind of pass game epiphany had by Josh. Whether it has been Leach at TT or Kevin Wilson with the best offense we ever fielded, we always had trouble once we got close to the goalline. Much like the NFL, a passing game benefits from being at about the 10 yard line rather than the 5.

Eielson
4/21/2015, 07:02 PM
We could score last year due to the run game, and not because of some kind of pass game epiphany had by Josh.

TK's arm isn't what makes him intriguing inside the 20.

EatLeadCommie
4/21/2015, 09:32 PM
He had 5 rushing TDs last year, 4 against powerhouses Tulsa and Iowa State.

Eielson
4/21/2015, 10:33 PM

And?

How did we do inside the redzone?

Tear Down This Wall
4/22/2015, 10:11 AM

Yes. This is something people always overlook.

Knight had the game of a lifetime against an Alabama squad that was clearly deflated by losing a spot in the national title game on a returned missed field goal against bitter rival Auburn.

Other than that, Knight has been terrible against anyone with any semblance of a defense. No one cares how many touchdowns you scored against Tulsa and Iowa State when you are being throttled 40-6 by Clemson in a spare bowl game. A very spare bowl game.

Tear Down This Wall
4/22/2015, 10:15 AM
No offense, but we were really good at converting TDs inside the red zone last year (72% of all trips compared with 52% in 2013). Our problem was getting there. We only scored 15 TDs from outside the red zone all year.

Mayfield on the other hand reeks of a Mike Leach QB. He can move the ball at will between the 20's but he struggles to put the ball into the end zone when the defense gets compacted. To overcome this, he was trying to force big plays from the 40 to 50 yard line instead of just marching down the 20 and stalling. That tendency isn't going to go away. By having Trevor in a package inside the 20 you reign in the higher risk throws and utilize his skill set.

In addition to Trevor Knight being a terrible quarterback, they will all now "reek of Mike Leach QB" because one of his little clones is our offensive coordinator.

Now, the only difference between us and Texas Tech is the uniform. Sadly. We may as well start throwing tortillas onto the filed after touchdown and putting feces on opposing schools' buses to match the witlessness of that which we now seek to become.

Stoops' wild gambit to reclaim the 7-5 glory year of 1999 when Mike Leach was the offensive coordinator is just awful.

Pathetic.

olevetonahill
4/22/2015, 10:53 AM
TDTW yer just a ray of ****ing sunshine aint ya!

BoulderSooner79
4/22/2015, 10:57 AM
TDTW yer just a ray of ****ing sunshine aint ya!

I thought TDTW had gotten to the acceptance phase, but it looks likes he has regressed back to depression and maybe even a touch of the anger phase. But don't get discouraged, everyone gets the acceptance phase of grief eventually - it's not always a straight line.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/22/2015, 11:03 AM
In addition to Trevor Knight being a terrible quarterback, they will all now "reek of Mike Leach QB" because one of his little clones is our offensive coordinator.

Now, the only difference between us and Texas Tech is the uniform. Sadly. We may as well start throwing tortillas onto the filed after touchdown and putting feces on opposing schools' buses to match the witlessness of that which we now seek to become.

Stoops' wild gambit to reclaim the 7-5 glory year of 1999 when Mike Leach was the offensive coordinator is just awful.

Pathetic.

We have a wee bit more talent at running back now then we had in 1999. I doubt that Q would make this team as a walkon much less Thornton, Jay Hunt or Reggie Skinner. I think with that alone, the offense will look quite a bit different than what you are expecting. The defense though, we might be wishing for 1999 by the end of the season.

The one offensive question that has to be answered is do we have a QB who can convert a 3rd down? It doesn't matter what offense you run if you don't have that one component.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/22/2015, 11:05 AM
We could score last year due to the run game, and not because of some kind of pass game epiphany had by Josh. Whether it has been Leach at TT or Kevin Wilson with the best offense we ever fielded, we always had trouble once we got close to the goalline. Much like the NFL, a passing game benefits from being at about the 10 yard line rather than the 5.

I'm not disagreeing with you. My point was that Trevor struggles between the 20s but is pretty good inside the red zone. What I've seen of Mayfield is that he is the polar opposite.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/22/2015, 11:12 AM

We had 42 RZ TDs - The split was 29 Rushing TDs, 13 Passing TDs.

Eielson
4/22/2015, 03:13 PM
But don't get discouraged, everyone gets the acceptance phase of grief eventually

Challenge. Accepted.