PDA

View Full Version : Eagles may trade Bradford to Browns?

deweydw
4/2/2015, 08:14 AM
In an effort to get Mariota. It's just a theory, but this years draft could get interesting.

Link (http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2015/3/31/8319061/nfl-draft-trade-rumors-eagles-trade-sam-bradford-to-browns-marcus-mariota)

So that brings me to my not-so crazy/crazy theory. Chip Kelly wants Mariota. There is no doubt in my mind about that one. He now has a tradeable asset in Sam Bradford. Peter King reported in his MMQB column this week that the Cleveland Browns offered the St. Louis Rams a first round pick for Bradford before he was traded to the Eagles. The Rams didn't like the deal because they weren't getting a quarterback in return.

rock on sooner
4/2/2015, 08:58 AM
No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o, not the Browns, unless the Browns dump Johnny
Football down a hole....

olevetonahill
4/2/2015, 09:12 AM
If that happens I hope Sam just retires and ****s em all up

FaninAma
4/2/2015, 09:21 AM
Marriota is a poor man's Johnny Football and will be just as successful. Marriota got exposed by the Buckeyes.

KantoSooner
4/2/2015, 09:58 AM
I tend to agree with you regarding Mariota's skill set. On the other hand, Mariota seems to be a diligent, hard working, disciplined, team oriented, decent, good hearted, honest and truthful guy. With those qualities, he might well do better than Johnny Effing.

BoulderSooner79
4/2/2015, 10:16 AM
Marriota is a poor man's Johnny Football and will be just as successful. Marriota got exposed by the Buckeyes.

You watched a different game than I did. tOSU had twice the stud power as the Ducks at most positions, but Marriota played well given what he had to work with. That doesn't mean he'll make a good NFL QB, but he will be a step up from JFF.

badger
4/2/2015, 10:39 AM
NFL player survey: You would have to triple my salary for me to want to play for the...
(A) Cleveland Browns
(B) Oakland Raiders

It's a toss-up, which is a shame because both teams have such passionate fanbases for such sucky franchises

KantoSooner
4/2/2015, 10:46 AM
Here's how you settle the toss up: after work, in the case of one you're in Cleveland. In the case of the other, you're in the Bay Area. Pretty well settles things.

badger
4/2/2015, 11:53 AM
Cleveland traffic > Oakland traffic. Ohio taxes < California taxes.

Man this really is a who knows question. I'd toss Jax into there but Florida is a sunshine filled income tax haven ;)

I'll give Oakland the nod for worst team to play for, because they nearly blew their first win last year because the dum dum rookies wouldn't stop celebrating a sack :D:D:D:D:D

deweydw
4/2/2015, 11:53 AM
If that happens I hope Sam just retires and ****s em all up

That's what I was thinking. As for the Browns, Chris Mortensen (http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2015/4/1/8328513/espns-chris-mortensen-browns-90-percent-done-with-manziel) thinks they are done with Manziel.

"I think about 90 percent that they have moved on [from Manziel] in their own minds except that they really don't know who they're going to get when Johnny leaves rehab, which has been an extended stay — a two-month stay. He should be getting out sometime in the first week of April if they're satisfied that he's ready to go out and get into society and that whatever deep-rooted problems that he had has been addressed. OK, now he's part of your depth chart. You have Josh McCown."

badger
4/2/2015, 12:07 PM
I think about 90 percent that they have moved on

Like Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos... first round pick is no job security. Cutting losses and moving on is the new NFL (so long as it doesn't impact your salary cap too much).

Rookies really have no job security anymore, compared to the Sam Bradford (and earlier) era where the top picks got millions guaranteed and were among the highest paid at their positions. With all the draft busts over the years, what's the big deal with a first rounder, even a first round quarterback, not panning out?

BoulderSooner79
4/2/2015, 01:51 PM
Like Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos... first round pick is no job security. Cutting losses and moving on is the new NFL (so long as it doesn't impact your salary cap too much).

Rookies really have no job security anymore, compared to the Sam Bradford (and earlier) era where the top picks got millions guaranteed and were among the highest paid at their positions. With all the draft busts over the years, what's the big deal with a first rounder, even a first round quarterback, not panning out?

The wasted time investment still hurts as the league is a "win now" proposition. But you're correct that the new CBA reduces that cost (both time and money) for rookie busts. Looking at the Browns, they were a QB away from being a playoff contender last season, but they still lack that QB. By the time they actually find one, the other pieces of the puzzle could bleed away. I guess this just points to the Browns being a poorly run organization for a long time now.

KantoSooner
4/2/2015, 02:03 PM
There's a school of thought that holds that the best thing to do with a sports team is to spend little money on it and milk it. I haven't done any research, but I wonder how the Browns look in terms of profitability (defined as return on investment.) They might surprise you in that department.

BoulderSooner79
4/2/2015, 02:59 PM
There's a school of thought that holds that the best thing to do with a sports team is to spend little money on it and milk it. I haven't done any research, but I wonder how the Browns look in terms of profitability (defined as return on investment.) They might surprise you in that department.

Very possible. Fans assume that winning is the primary goal, but that is just one of the means to the end of making money. A rising tide does lift all boats and the NFL is a pretty high tide. Just controlling costs could be a sound (fiscal) policy.

Eielson
4/2/2015, 03:27 PM
It's not impossible, but it's unlikely.

Eielson
4/2/2015, 03:27 PM
Very possible. Fans assume that winning is the primary goal, but that is just one of the means to the end of making money. A rising tide does lift all boats and the NFL is a pretty high tide. Just controlling costs could be a sound (fiscal) policy.

Example: Donald Sterling.

KantoSooner
4/2/2015, 03:34 PM
Okay, so I was wrong. On an operating basis, the Browns have lost money for at least several years. Not much, really, $2-3 mill a year. But they are losers at the bank as well as on the field.
Now, where they are NOT losers is in the area of appreciation. Bought in around 2000 for a half bill, they sold a year or so ago for just a touch under a bill. Somewhere around a 5% per annum rate of return. Not too bad. And particularly so when you consider that that time period included the largest attack on the US homeland since WWII, two foreign wars and the biggest economic bout of dysentery since the GD.
Especially since you'd have the pleasure of knowing that you were custodian of the only thing Cleveland had going for it.

BoulderSooner79
4/2/2015, 04:10 PM
Especially since you'd have the pleasure of knowing that you were custodian of the only thing Cleveland had going for it.

What about Drew Carey?

KantoSooner
4/2/2015, 04:26 PM
He left.
He now lives in LA and NYC

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/2/2015, 07:15 PM
Example: Donald Sterling.Bill Bidwill...He got lucky when he hired the last 2 HC's, finally.

soonergirlNeugene
4/2/2015, 11:09 PM
Considering Murray said having the opportunity to play with Bradford again was a big part of the reason he was interested in Philadelphia, Kelly trading him to Cleveland would be quite a turn of events. Really though, if it happens he should just retire. Guy has put in his time playing for a team that could not protect him or give him a decent target. I can't imagine him wanting to start over with that a second time.

soonergirlNeugene
4/2/2015, 11:47 PM
While we're on the subject of Cleveland, I guess it's more or less official that Cleveland considers JFF to be a bust? Cleveland gave him all of 5 games before they were ready to completely write off their #1 pick.. Excluding injuries, was that the fastest bust in NFL history?

BoulderSooner79
4/3/2015, 01:59 AM
While we're on the subject of Cleveland, I guess it's more or less official that Cleveland considers JFF to be a bust? Cleveland gave him all of 5 games before they were ready to completely write off their #1 pick.. Excluding injuries, was that the fastest bust in NFL history?

It would be hard to beat JaMarcus Russell in any NFL bust competition. He held out through training camp to start things off and didn't play much his rookie year. This was before the new rookie contract rules and he was the #1 overall pick with a $30M+ guaranteed contract out of $60M total. So he was much more expensive than JFF will ever be. He was released after 3 years, but never produced, so was really a bust from the get go. Also, JFF was a first round pick, but not Cleveland's first pick as they had 2 picks: #8 Justin Gilbert and #22 JFF.

badger
4/3/2015, 08:37 AM
Another question for you all: What was the worst set of first round picks for the Cleveland Browns:
(a) Justin Gilbert and Johnny Football or
(b) Trent Richardson and Brandon Weeden

Fun Fact: Both bad sets include Pokes :stunned:

KantoSooner
4/3/2015, 08:50 AM
a. Weeden can actually play. When they let him out of the old folks home.

badger
4/3/2015, 10:52 AM
I think we have to give option B more time. Option A is Grade-A suck between Trent being out of football and Weeden practically out (I don't think Dallas is high on keeping him). The only way Option B could suck more is if both aren't in the league a few years from now. At least Brandon and Trent clung to NFL rosters up till this past season.

swardboy
4/3/2015, 04:19 PM
While Sam could play the retirement card if this scenario plays out, I would love to see him go to Cleveland and have a Comeback Player of the Year kind of season. Like someone said earlier, the fan base there would revere him like no other. Right now I'm believing Kelly targeting Sam as his man. But the man is full of surprises.

SoonerorLater
4/3/2015, 05:38 PM
While Sam could play the retirement card if this scenario plays out, I would love to see him go to Cleveland and have a Comeback Player of the Year kind of season. Like someone said earlier, the fan base there would revere him like no other. Right now I'm believing Kelly targeting Sam as his man. But the man is full of surprises.

Cleveland is the NFL equivalent of the outpost in Siberia.

soonergirlNeugene
4/3/2015, 06:55 PM
Sam has already said he wouldn't sign an extension w/ Cleveland. Anything they might be willing to offer for a 1 season guy isn't going to be worthwhile to Kelly.

SoonerLB
4/5/2015, 08:06 PM
If Kelly thinks Mariotta will EVER be as good as Sam, then maybe he is the one that needs to go to Cleveland.

SoCalBigRed
4/6/2015, 03:21 AM
If Kelly thinks Mariotta will EVER be as good as Sam, then maybe he is the one that needs to go to Cleveland.

^^^ This.

I'm amazed at how short memories are, of what a truly amazing QB Sam Bradford is. If he's rehab'd and actually given a team... sky's the limit.

aurorasooner
4/6/2015, 01:35 PM
Good read from NJ.com where they interviewed K. Wilson about Sammy B.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/04/sam_bradford_is_gonna_be_a_heck_of_a_player_for_ch .html

Wilson says his expectations for the Bradford-Chip Kelly marriage in Philadelphia are sky high.

You need a guy who can distribute the ball, can spread it around the field and to do so you have the arm to make all the throws but you need the vision and the mind and the decision making to do things quickly.

Sam's ability to process information quickly and distribute the ball and get it out of his hand was the key to him having a great career at Oklahoma and I think that is one of the key things that attracted Chip and the offensive guys considering Sam."

"A lot of people think the no-huddle spread game in college is a lot of option running, zone running and quarterback running, but we really played to Sam's strengths and he played very well. Chip's got that background from Oregon and he had a guy in Nick Foles who wasn't necessarily a move around kind of guy, he's kind of a pocket guy, but you're still in shot gun, you're still playing tempo, you're still in spread ...

"I think that's one of Sam's greatest attributes. He's a tremendous athlete, great thrower, but he has an unbelievably quick mind. He's very, very smart but he's very, very quick with his mind.

Of course all that won't be worth a damn, unless he stays healthy, which I think Kelly is gambling that Sam's luck in that regard will change in 2015. I don't know if he's goes free agent after this year, but if he does, it sure would be nice to see him bolt after one healthy glorious year in Philly back to someplace in the mid-west, west, or even Texas.

bluedogok
4/6/2015, 05:38 PM
When OU had Bradford they ran what is basically Kelly's offense before he ran it at Oregon.

olevetonahill
4/6/2015, 06:25 PM
I want him to Go to a team that will protect him and give him some recievers, AT the same time.
If the Eagles are it Great!

4/6/2015, 06:52 PM
Joe Walsh still with the Eagles?

olevetonahill
4/6/2015, 06:57 PM
It would be hard to beat JaMarcus Russell in any NFL bust competition. He held out through training camp to start things off and didn't play much his rookie year. This was before the new rookie contract rules and he was the #1 overall pick with a $30M+ guaranteed contract out of $60M total. So he was much more expensive than JFF will ever be. He was released after 3 years, but never produced, so was really a bust from the get go. Also, JFF was a first round pick, but not Cleveland's first pick as they had 2 picks: #8 Justin Gilbert and #22 JFF.

One Name , Ryan Leaf !

swardboy
4/6/2015, 09:03 PM
Joe Walsh still with the Eagles?

He should never have left the James Gang. Simple, straight forward rock.

hawaii 5-0
4/7/2015, 02:19 AM

Saw them in Colorado Springs in '71.

5-0

4/7/2015, 02:30 AM
He should never have left the James Gang. Simple, straight forward rock.He's a pretty salty talent. Has done a lot of good music over the years, also as solo headliner. His song with the Eagles, "In the City", was one of his best, IMO.

4/7/2015, 02:32 AM
Quote Originally Posted by swardboy
Saw them in Colorado Springs in '71.

5-0 YOU DOG!

deweydw
4/7/2015, 10:31 AM
And the rumor about the Browns trade (http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2015/4/7/8357863/rumor-browns-trying-to-trade-johnny-manziel-to-eagles-for-sam) continues.

At this point and time, the deal looks like a longshot. The potential trade, as outlined above, is risky for both parties. For the Browns, the loss of a first round pick could further set back the team, and Bradford's ability to stay healthy is in question. For the Eagles, there are too many variables attached to Manziel, rendering it impossible to project his effectiveness in 2015. And even with another first round pick, acquiring Mariota would not be a sure thing.

But in the wacky world of the NFL, anything is possible, even a trade such as this one.

swardboy
4/9/2015, 08:39 PM
Sam will wear #7 in Philadelphia; same number as Ron Jaworski...JAWS!

What do Norm Van Brocklin, Roman Gabriel, Ron Jaworski, and Sam Bradford have in common? All were traded from the Rams to the Iggles. Good company Sam.

4/10/2015, 12:50 AM
yer going back a ways. All I really hope is that Sam gets protection and stays healthy. If that happens, little doubt he will do well.

badger
4/10/2015, 09:39 AM
I should do a poll... what NFL team do you not want Sooners to end up with after they're done at OU.

I cannot wait for the draft... not only because I'm the eternal optimist that I'll finally have some Sooner Packers to root for instead of clinging to "Remember when Keith Jackson???" but also because these Eagles-Browns rumors will finally end.

Why haven't the Eagles started selling Sam Bradford jerseys yet??? Because trade for Marcus Mario Tata and Johnny Fooseball :mad:

Aries
4/10/2015, 09:45 AM
http://www.nflshop.com/Philadelphia_Eagles_Jerseys/Mens_Philadelphia_Eagles_Sam_Bradford_Nike_Midnigh t_Green_Game_Jersey

badger
4/10/2015, 09:49 AM
http://www.nflshop.com/Philadelphia_Eagles_Jerseys/Mens_Philadelphia_Eagles_Sam_Bradford_Nike_Midnigh t_Green_Game_Jersey

I'm talking about Eagles pro shops.
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/4/8/8370307/sam-bradford-trade-rumors-eagles-pro-shop-jerseys-quarterback-browns

NFLShop.com would sell my jersey with any number on any team if I asked it too :D It would sell me a Browns Bradford jersey probably even before the trade's finalized

Aries
4/10/2015, 10:13 AM
NFLshop would sell YOU a jersey with whatever number/name you wanted, but they would not "sell my jersey"... as in to the general public.

So your contention then is that the Eagles Pro Shops are making the decision on whether to trade Bradford to the Browns?

Actually, I'm just messing with you. However, all that means is the Eagles Pro Shops are hesitant to order Bradford Jerseys (which I assume they would get from the NFL) because they may believe such a trade is possible and don't want to risk the investment. As conspiracy theories go, I doubt they have any information on what will happen. Or that selling/not selling jerseys has any influence on what the Eagles are going to do.

If they do trade him, those Eagles jerseys could be collectors items. Or at least help you out in a game of trivia :)

badger
4/10/2015, 10:52 AM
So your contention then is that the Eagles Pro Shops are making the decision on whether to trade Bradford to the Browns?

The precedent in this case is that the Eagles Pro Shops marked down Nick Foles jerseys two weeks before he got traded to the Rams. In other words, there's insider knowledge going around all facets of that organization, even the little jersey shops sponsored by the team.

So, I'm not trying to nitpick here. Sam Bradford sold DeMarco on taking less money and joining him in Philly, and now Philly wants to keep these Browns rumors alive and well up til the drat. Dick move, Philly... but couldn't expect anything less from a team whose fanbase loves to boo them

Aries
4/10/2015, 11:01 AM
I AM trying to nitpick here...

Just to get you stirred up....

My motivation? Yeah.. that's pretty much it. :)

badger
4/10/2015, 11:17 AM
I AM trying to nitpick here...

Just to get you stirred up....

My motivation? Yeah.. that's pretty much it. :)

Nyuck nyuck nyuck happy Friday, but I'm an Aquarius stupid Aries :P

btw, go over and vBet on the Red-White game everyone. just posted a bunch of smut on vBookie

Aries
4/10/2015, 12:48 PM
I'm not a real Aries. I was born Nov. 23, but I can't spell Saggita... Sagutta... Sagitery... See?

So I just tell people I'm an Aries.

I can spell Aries.

Aries
(See???)

swardboy
4/11/2015, 06:50 AM
Now that's just a bunch of Taurus poo.

swardboy
4/11/2015, 06:54 AM
By the gods, April 30th can't get here fast enough to dispel these stupid rumors!
- Steve Reeves as Hercules, in Hercules and the Draftniks.

deweydw
4/30/2015, 09:36 AM
Today we find out if Bradford will go to the Browns (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/30/report-browns-think-they-can-get-sam-bradford-today/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs).

Peter King of Sports Illustrated said a source told him the Browns think they have a good chance before the draft starts to acquire Eagles-for-a-minute quarterback Sam Bradford.

If Sam does end up with the Browns, he might as well retire. There's no protection up front for him at Cleveland.

badger
4/30/2015, 09:53 AM
One thing that both Sam and Demarco have said publicly is that the desire to play together again was instrumental in bringing Demarco to Philly for less money than he would have gotten elsewhere (Jags and Raiders I think), so it would be a dick move for them to dispense Sam after he got them the best running back in the league (because who knows when and if AD will return).

If rumors are to be believed:
1- Sam Bradford has refused to discuss contract extension with the Browns, meaning a trade would yield only one guaranteed year with the Browns
2- Sam Bradford's agent once represented Tim Couch and Brady Quinn, so Sam's agent doesn't want Sam in Cleveland
3- The trade will only happen if Chip Kelly can get the QB he really covets, Marcus Mariota. Because quack quack

Poor Sam. At least he got $50 million+ out of the Rams for years of learning new offenses that progressively lost more games after his rookie of the year season :(

stoopified
4/30/2015, 10:17 PM
Sam will wear #7 in Philadelphia; same number as Ron Jaworski...JAWS!

What do Norm Van Brocklin, Roman Gabriel, Ron Jaworski, and Sam Bradford have in common? All were traded from the Rams to the Iggles. Good company Sam. Talk about obscure trivia. pRETTY COOL THOUGH,HOPE sAM FARES AS WELL AS THE OTHERS

aurorasooner
4/30/2015, 11:45 PM
Meh, that NFL draft show just needed some Las Vegas dancing girls to add more hype. After the 1st 2 selections in was over and imo the NFL channel and ESPiN just made up all this trade crap to hype their production which w/o any of these Sammy trade rumors and speculation their show would've been even more pizz-poor than it was.
I still think Kelly is banking on Sammy's injury luck changing and anyway, it would be pretty lame to use him to get Demarco to bolt from Dallas and then send Sammy packing. That's pretty low.
I sure hope Sammy makes it thought the whole season and kills it next year and then tells the Beagles to shove it and gets back to the West, Midwest or even Houston or Dallas.
Luckily there was the NBA Playoffs and Live Golf on at about the same time although the 1st NBA game was just a joke.

badger
5/1/2015, 08:39 AM
That was arguably one of the most boring NFL Drafts in recent history. Hardly any trades, hardly any surprises and worst of all, no Sooners taken. Gah. I miss the old Al Davis/Jerry Jones fest of taking skill players too high... or the Jaguars/Browns doing something dumb. :P

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/1/2015, 10:27 AM
Meh, that NFL draft show just needed some Las Vegas dancing girls to add more hype. After the 1st 2 selections in was over and imo the NFL channel and ESPiN just made up all this trade crap to hype their production which w/o any of these Sammy trade rumors and speculation their show would've been even more pizz-poor than it was.
I still think Kelly is banking on Sammy's injury luck changing and anyway, it would be pretty lame to use him to get Demarco to bolt from Dallas and then send Sammy packing. That's pretty low.
I sure hope Sammy makes it thought the whole season and kills it next year and then tells the Beagles to shove it and gets back to the West, Midwest or even Houston or Dallas.
Luckily there was the NBA Playoffs and Live Golf on at about the same time although the 1st NBA game was just a joke.

At one point, TV was 20 minutes behind the actual picks. guhhhhhh

badger
5/1/2015, 10:45 AM
You could tell how far behind they were every time they showed the fountains... hey, those aren't the _______'s team colors!

Soonerfan88
5/2/2015, 02:34 PM
Read a tweet that Kelley said is was safe for local sporting goods stores to sell Bradford jerseys. Sounds like any potential trades have been vetoed.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/5/2015, 12:09 AM
Kelley said they shopped for Mariota, but the price was way too high.