PDA

View Full Version : YES!!! NCAA Game 3 thread - Sooners vs Spartans

Soonerjeepman
3/23/2015, 04:29 PM
When: Friday
Time: 9:07 pm CT

Channel: TNT

MSU, love Coach Izzo....reminds of the legal KS. lol.... Tough, gritty, blue collar guys. Records are pretty much the same, msu 25-11, 12-6 OU 24-10, 12-6.

Off % MSU - 71.9 scoring 37.7 total rebounds 17.7 assists .471 FG %

OU - 71.9 scoring 38.1 total rebounds 12.5 assists .436 FG %

Def % MSU - 63.1 pts allowed 26.2 def rb 4.6 blocks 5.3 steals

OU - 62.8 pts allowed 27.1 def rb 5.0 blocks 6.9 steals

Looks like we might have a D edge...but very close.

More later!

msu has a couple of 6'9 245 guys...6'7...6'5...so not terribly that much bigger

Dawson a 6'6 guard is their leading rebounder...(at least he was the main name on leading rebounders)
Trice 6'0 guard, Dawson 6'6 guard, Valentine 6'5 guard are the guys who's names show up the most as leading scorers...Trice being the main one couple of 25/27 point games, Valentine has had a couple of 25 pt games as well.

Definitely a guard orientated team

Mookie91
3/23/2015, 05:11 PM
I'll be at the Dome cheering on the Crimson Machine!

Soonerjeepman
3/23/2015, 08:57 PM
cool...

SoCalBigRed
3/24/2015, 12:22 AM
What concerns me most about the Spartans, is Tom Izzo. Dude is a NCAA Tourney regular...

18 Years (44-16), 6 Final Fours, 1 Championship... that's a heck of a pedigree and a Hell of coach.

Good news... of the teams still in it, only 2 have better Strength of Schedule. Problem is... one of them, is MSU. #7 vs #13 according to CBS.

Bleh. Throw out the stats and let's get it on!

Soonerjeepman
3/24/2015, 08:14 AM
yeah, Izzo is the man...I'd love for him to be at OU...ah well. Kruger has done well. Hopefully TT can control the paint and our guards won't need to double down. Should be a hell of a game...IF they beat us I hope they make it it the FF, I can't stand Louisville or RP

EatLeadCommie
3/24/2015, 02:11 PM
Izzo is the best coach in college basketball, and I don't think it's even close (sorry, Coach K). We cannot play like we did in the first two games and win because Izzo will have the Spartans ready to play. I was really disappointed at the inability to execute any half court sets on offense in the first two games, particularly against undersized Dayton. That didn't improve after halftime in either game. If those mid-major teams can neutralize the inside game, then I expect more of the same from MSU. Ugly basketball should keep it close, however.

Soonerjeepman
3/24/2015, 02:36 PM
I agree, except I'm not sure we ever did execute any offense...I'd have to look but I'd say the majority of our buckets in the late 2nd half were due to dayton's misses and us getting out and running.

It's unbelievable that we can't even run sets. We basically do a 3 man weave at the top...one of our posts come up top ever now and then the other hangs on the low block. We'll do this until about 5 seconds left then either drive, heave up a 3 or get a turnover....

rock on sooner
3/24/2015, 02:54 PM
Izzo is really amazing! IF he gets his team in the Big Dance, then whoever
MSU plays needs to be on high alert...

Eielson
3/24/2015, 03:13 PM
Izzo is a great coach, but he's had much better teams, and this is as winnable of a game as we're gonna have. It's only going to get tougher.

Pitino is just as good as Izzo, and if you're worried about guys like Trice and Valentine, good luck with Harrell and Rozier. Then we'd be on to Okafor and coach K, and if somehow we made it to the Finals, we'd get Cal and all his lottery picks. If Lon could beat those 4 guys, I'd donate a testicle. If he beat Izzo and Pitino to go to the Final 4, I'd probably never say another bad word about him.

Eielson
3/24/2015, 03:20 PM
Honestly, I'm looking at the Sweet 16, and I'm not sure I see too many easier matchups. The only draws I would definitely feel better about are NC State and Xavier.

Soonerjeepman
3/24/2015, 10:49 PM
I think we've topped out, anything now is cream on the cake. We were ranked from not to 13th, so at this point this is about where we should be.

Next year, IF....a big IF, Buford is as advertised, our 7 ft juco is Halfway productive, I think we should be elite 8 at least.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
3/25/2015, 06:21 AM
I am ready to make all the talking heads eat crow! All I have heard is that MSU should make their Final Four hotel reservations now. I have not heard anyone even consider that we could win. Grrrr!

Soonerjeepman
3/25/2015, 12:33 PM
yeah, I'm not saying we can't win...I actually saw somewhere according to BPI OU is a 55% chance to win...but vegas is putting us as 3 pt dogs. That only means more folks think msu will win...

it'll be an interesting game...we are pretty evenly matched.

ORANGESOONERFAN
3/25/2015, 06:43 PM
Hope to see the Sooners practice tomorrow at the Dome since I live here, very cool that they are here!

birddog
3/25/2015, 06:56 PM
Dude if you don't go to the actual game we'll turn your green to red asap. Get in there! :)

Mookie91
3/25/2015, 07:07 PM
Dude if you don't go to the actual game we'll turn your green to red asap. Get in there! :)

I'm in section 102 get that rep up!

birddog
3/25/2015, 07:19 PM
Enjoy, mook! If you can give us updates from under the dome it'll be much 'preciated.

Mookie91
3/25/2015, 07:44 PM
Enjoy, mook! If you can give us updates from under the dome it'll be much 'preciated.

I was wondering if this site allows posting pics?

SoCalBigRed
3/25/2015, 08:31 PM
I am ready to make all the talking heads eat crow! All I have heard is that MSU should make their Final Four hotel reservations now. I have not heard anyone even consider that we could win. Grrrr!

I actually LOVE hearing that stuff.

Its when they come in thinking they're world beaters, playing the little underdog, etc... that scare me.

You think a single Sooner is going to be overlooking Izzo and MSU?

birddog
3/25/2015, 08:43 PM
I was wondering if this site allows posting pics?

Hell yeah, just don't ask me how to do it from a mobile.

hawaii 5-0
3/25/2015, 09:30 PM
If it's a given that both teams match up pretty evenly, I'd give an edge to coaching to Izzo.

Still, this Tourney has seem a pile of upsets.

I still can't quite understand how Mich State was a 7 seed in the first place.

5-0

aurorasooner
3/26/2015, 01:00 AM
Not a lot of media spew coming out about OU or for that matter about the tourney, considering the 16 starts tomorrow. Sure hope our guys are ready to take no prisoners come Fri PM and that ridiculously late east coast start time doesn't bother them any. Still scratching my head about the ridiculous 10 PM east coast start time and then a quick turn-a-round for the winner on Sunday. Should be a fun tailgate for Mookie and Orange since they should be all drunkytown by a 10PM start.
About the best press quote that I've seen came out of the OU Daily.
Even if you think sports betting is a load of fughazi, try this on for size — ESPN “re-seeded” the remaining 16 teams on the bracket. Oklahoma, which had been ranked at No. 9 overall by the selection committee before the tournament even began, fell all the way to No. 15.

Next to last, after two victories.

Even TCU football can’t believe it. Hopefully our guys will play with a chip on their shoulder.

Soonerjeepman
3/27/2015, 02:24 PM
7 hours away...

I'm excited.. I just hope the guys play a clean hard game. If we do and don't come out on top nothing to hang your head for. I'm sure the talking heads will be all over izzo, and rightfully so. Maybe being the underdog for all the games being a 3 seed will spark something in the boys tonight.

BOOMER!

I'll be at sports bar watching, so no posting...but I'm sure I'll have happy and sad thoughts throughout the game! lol

8timechamps
3/27/2015, 03:03 PM
I haven't spent a ton of time breaking down the Spartans, but it doesn't take long to recognize three players that will certainly play big roles for Michigan State:

#45 Denzel Valentine (6'5" Jr. Forward)

This kid is kind of the Jack of all trades for Izzo's squad. On the year he's a 45% shooter (41% from 3) with an average of 6 rebounds per game. He is second in scoring for the Spartans, but his real stregnth is defense. He's the best defender MSU has, and can guard big men or smaller guys alike. It's hard to say who he'll be matched against tonight, but if I were to guess, I'd say Tashawn Thomas. Even though Hield has been the scoring threat for most of the year, Thomas has actually been more of a threat to opposing teams during the tournament. While Valentine could pull Hield, I think Izzo keeps him inside and puts him on Thomas. Valentine may be the best overall player for the Spartans, but if Thomas plays the way he is capable of playing and uses his size advantage, I give a slight edge to the Sooners. The Sooners will need to play good defense all night, but contesting every shot Valentine trys will go a long way in easing the burden.

#22 Brandon Dawson (6'6" Sr. Guard/Forward)/ #20 Travis Trice (6'0" Sr. Guard)

If Valentine is the best defender for the Spartans, then Dawson (and #20 Travis Trice) are the best offensive weapon. Dawson is shooting 51% for the year, and averages about 12 points a game (Trice leads the team with 15 p/g). Dawson can also play defense and is very active on that side of the ball. Trice runs the offense, and will set up the Spartans on that end of the floor. Surprisingly, Trice doesn't shoot the three ball. He literally hasn't taken a three point shot all year. That duty falls primarily to Denzel Valentine.

The Spartans are pretty similar to the Sooners when on offense. They're comfortable playing a half court set, or pushing the pace, and they average about 71 points per game (compared to the Sooners 71 ppg). They are a solid rebounding team, however, the Sooners have an edge in that department (due, in part, to size differences). MSU has one player over 6'6", and it's junior forward Matt Costello (#10). Between Spangler and Thomas, Costello shouldn't provide a huge factor in the game. Otherwise, OU has a slight size advantage over the Spartans.

The biggest difference between OU and MSU right now is their previous two games. OU has faced scrappy teams in Albany and Dayton, but MSU has faced better competition in Georgia and Virginia. That doesn't necessarily mean MSU is the better team, just that they've played a couple of "better" teams (on paper). However, I believe (and not because I'm a homer) that OU has an overall better team than MSU.

For OU to win this game, there are a few key things that need to happen:

1. Buddy has to show up as the Big XII player of the year. He hasn't been horrible in the tourney so far, he just hasn't been the conference POY. It does feel like he is getting his rhythm back, and he's due for a big game. Tonight would be a great time for that to happen.

2. No sloppy/lazy basketball for the Sooners tonight. In that past two games, we've seen sloppy/lazy passing that has lead to points for the opponent. Michigan State is too good of a shooting team to give them help on the offensive end. We have to limit turnovers better than we have in the past two games.

3. Defense. OU has played good defense thus far, and they'll need it again tonight. The Sooners can't afford to let MSU get too many good looks at the basket.

4. Finally, play big inside. Between Thomas, Spangler, Bennett & Lattin the Sooners have to own the paint on both ends of the court. Make it hard for the Spartans to play inside, and get them to think twice before driving or kicking it down low. We have the man power to do this, it's just a matter of making it happen. This may be one of the last times we'll have a size advantage inside, we need to take full advantage of that.

I don't need to tell you how good Tom Izzo is in March (the media has already done that all week). Just about every prognosticator I've heard/seen this week is picking MSU in the "upset". So, it's going to be a battle to get out of this one with a "W". We have the personnel and coaching to win this game, but as we know, anything can happen.

We just need to "survive".

SoonerorLater
3/27/2015, 03:29 PM
As Marcus Trice goes so will MSU.

birddog
3/27/2015, 05:03 PM
I didn't do a damn thing ALL week just to void all non-OU related stress. No way can I deal with sports AND real world stress in the same week unless its football season. Think I'm goin with some pints of Guinness tonight, starting about 730. OU 64 msu 68. After Guinness prediction OU 77 msu 75.

8timechamps
3/27/2015, 05:36 PM

I agree, from a scoring standpoint. Valentine is the guy we need to beat on the other end of the floor.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 08:16 PM

Good. Marcus is long gone.

I'm a little more worried about Travis, though.

aurorasooner
3/27/2015, 08:21 PM
I'm in section 102 get that rep up! At least you're not in a nosebleed section.
I was just over looking at that BB seating map of the dome, http://www.carrierdome.com/maps/default.aspx?etype=5, and I guess they move bleachers in on the court-side that's away from the enclosed stadium end (FB EZ). Just looking at the TBS broadcast of the early game, it must really suck to play BB in any football arena where the court is on only one end, and there's only darkness on the other end. It looks like the camera angle(s) in the 1st game are predominately facing the section where you're sitting (from the press side and and towards the bench side) don't know. We may have an advantage of playing in a more than half empty arena, if the TV pics of the LNC this season are any indication.
There are too many good BB only arenas in the US, imo, to have any sweet 16 tourney game in a football dome. Hell, I'd rather watch a game on a Hi-Def big screen or projector than watch a BB game from the nosebleed section in a FB dome.

Sooner95
3/27/2015, 09:19 PM
BOOMER!! Here we go! Already proud of our team!

Eielson
3/27/2015, 09:23 PM
Great start!

Eielson
3/27/2015, 09:31 PM
Should have been a charge...but I'll take the early foul on Trice + FT's!

SoonerMarkVA
3/27/2015, 09:33 PM
Should have been a charge...but I'll take the early foul on Trice + FT's!

Only if you think Hield was out of control. Definitely wasn't set.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 09:35 PM
And now we're trying to weather our 4 minute scoring drought....

Eielson
3/27/2015, 09:37 PM
Woodard ends the 5 minute scoring drought! Great game so far fro him.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 09:40 PM
Get Bennett out of the game, and don't ever bring him back. He's WAY too soft.

BigTip
3/27/2015, 09:45 PM
So "Tum Tum" has a sick tum tum?
Ironic isn't it?

Eielson
3/27/2015, 09:46 PM
Looks like Trice went to the bench for a little. Time to make a run...

Eielson
3/27/2015, 09:50 PM
Looks like Trice went to the bench for a little. Time to make a run...

I should be an announcer!

I expect Trice back in after the timeout. 31-21

BetterSoonerThanLater
3/27/2015, 09:51 PM
Glad to know Michigan state brought their own commentators for this game...

BetterSoonerThanLater
3/27/2015, 10:00 PM
Tha ball might have been tipped? These announcers are just ****ing stupid

BigTip
3/27/2015, 10:01 PM
So the refs AND the announcers are going to be against us?

SoonerMarkVA
3/27/2015, 10:03 PM
So the refs AND the announcers are going to be against us?

Sure looks that way. But, damn, we have *got* to hit shots. Ridiculous how jeckyl and hyde we are shooting. I know every team goes through ups and downs, but we seem to be either unstoppable or there's a lid on the basket.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 10:06 PM
As much as I covet a guy like Trice to create offense for us, Woodard is matching him blow for blow. Great half from him.

Great half on defense. Borderline-awful half of offense.

SoCalBigRed
3/27/2015, 10:17 PM
Their game to lose. The keep playing D, crashing the glass... keep that pressure on them, they win.

Try to stretch the lead back up to 10, to start the half.

SoCalBigRed
3/27/2015, 10:18 PM
Baketball is a game of runs. Its going to go back and forth. Important thing is to put some distance, so they're constantly playing catch-up, wear them down.

Defense and the glass is the constant. Keep playing that, they'll win.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 10:21 PM
Keys to the second half:

1. Booker has GOT to get the ball to start falling. He's a liability out there when his shot isn't falling. Admittedly, he got some difficult matchups defensively, and seemed to do decent (but not very good).

2. Find ways to get Thomas the ball, and then Thomas has to find a way to convert. These 5 minute droughts will be the death of us, and we need some consistency.

3. Strap Bennett to his seat on the bench, and don't even think about letting him up.

Cousins is being criticized for his lack of offense, but I think it's up to the other guys to pick up the pace on offense. Just keep doing your thing on defense.

SoCalBigRed
3/27/2015, 10:22 PM
You would think MSU was winning this game and had led all the way, the manner which they're talking about the game.

Sooners... match that first few minutes of intensity... you'll be fine!

SoCalBigRed
3/27/2015, 10:25 PM
I really hate stupid plays like that.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 10:25 PM
2. Find ways to get Thomas the ball, and then Thomas has to find a way to convert. These 5 minute droughts will be the death of us, and we need some consistency.

Went to him first possession and scored!

SoCalBigRed
3/27/2015, 10:27 PM
I hate basketball officiating. Its so easy to dictate game flow.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 10:27 PM
Thomas gets knocked on to the ground...no call...makes it hard to score if they can do that.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 10:28 PM
CANT. HANDLE. THOMAS.

FEED THE BEAST!

SoCalBigRed
3/27/2015, 10:29 PM
LOL!

Horrid defense from MSU.

SoCalBigRed
3/27/2015, 10:30 PM
That;s OU ball! Horspoop!

Eielson
3/27/2015, 10:31 PM
Not surprisingly...it went off of MSU and they gave it to them anyway. The officiating hasn't been terrible, but they can't get these out of bounds calls right to save their life.

BetterSoonerThanLater
3/27/2015, 10:33 PM
We need to force them inside. Don't let them take outside shots, that's clearly what their game plan is at this point.

Also, we should not getting out rebounded. We have to come up wit the boards--and pick up those loose balls .

SoCalBigRed
3/27/2015, 10:34 PM
Dammit,have to match the intensity to open that half!

Eielson
3/27/2015, 10:36 PM
Theses announcers sound like they're having an orgasm every time MSU makes a big play.

BetterSoonerThanLater
3/27/2015, 10:37 PM
Terrible call, terrible

Eielson
3/27/2015, 10:37 PM
Really bad call. Not a charge AT ALL.

SoCalBigRed
3/27/2015, 10:38 PM
If they just go back to their game, they'll still win this, with ease.

Don't play their game. We have the length and the speed to keep them from shooting from distance.

SoCalBigRed
3/27/2015, 10:39 PM
Call a TIMEOUT!

Eielson
3/27/2015, 10:39 PM
Credit to the refs for starting to make them play somewhat legal D against Thomas.

BetterSoonerThanLater
3/27/2015, 10:40 PM
Can't make shots....except for that and 1!!!! Nice

SoCalBigRed
3/27/2015, 10:40 PM
AND ONE!

Now call them to the sideline and pound them with hield.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 10:41 PM
CLUTCH play by Hield to end our 5 minute scoring drought. We have officially weathered our second 5 minute scoring drought. Let's not go back for thirds.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 10:44 PM
Keep pounding it to Thomas. We're one more foul from getting them into the bonus, and there's no advantage like that late in a defensive dog-fight.

SoCalBigRed
3/27/2015, 10:44 PM
The touch @#$% they're calling on MSU end, then ignoring on the other end is ridiculous.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 10:47 PM
We've been leading for 30 minutes....don't blow this

Announcers still having orgasms...about to mute this.

We're in the bonus now! Thomas definitely got fouled, but I'll take Hield at the line instead.

BetterSoonerThanLater
3/27/2015, 10:47 PM
This **** is getting ridiculous

BetterSoonerThanLater
3/27/2015, 10:49 PM
Our passing is horrendous .

SoCalBigRed
MSU shouldn't even be in this game.

If all Izzo can come up with is "hustle!"

Eielson
Going back to the line! Keep pounding them and shooting FT's! Nothing else is falling...we've been even worse offensively in the second half thus far.

SoonerMarkVA
3/27/2015, 10:51 PM
The touch @#$% they're calling on MSU end, then ignoring on the other end is ridiculous.

The refs in all the tourney games I've seen have just been really awful. So incredibly inconsistent and really affecting the games.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 10:53 PM
Should have been an and-1!

Have to figure out what to do with Dawson...

SoCalBigRed
3/27/2015, 10:54 PM
How can we NOT rebound all of a sudden?

Effort?

PULL YOUR HEADS OUT!

Eielson
3/27/2015, 10:54 PM
bull**** no call. He clearly four-armed him.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure about that travel, either...

BetterSoonerThanLater
3/27/2015, 10:55 PM
Momentum changer. We still can't get rebounds, we take stupid shots, and we do not pass the ****ing basketball!

SoCalBigRed
3/27/2015, 10:56 PM
They don't get it together after this TO, its over.

They are completely discombobulated. I said I would be happy with Sweet 16, but to be losing a game, by all rights you should be up by double digits. Horrid play. Horrid coaching. Went away from strengths and handed them to MSU.

aurorasooner
3/27/2015, 10:56 PM
tired of this boring half court chit show w/o any transition game. Let's run and gun 'em some down the stretch and maybe we'll get some shots to fall and get some fouls to boot.
Good no-call my azz. Who is that homer announcer besides ALZ Verne? sheesh.

BetterSoonerThanLater
3/27/2015, 10:57 PM
Lon better tell em something great to get their heads out of their asses, otherwise it going to get ugly

SoCalBigRed
3/27/2015, 10:59 PM
Someone needs to put that fouling, swatting MF on his butt.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 10:59 PM
We WANT to run, but MSU has done a good job at forcing us to beat them in the half-court offense. As Izzo (and everybody else with half of a brain) predicted, we haven't.

BetterSoonerThanLater
3/27/2015, 11:00 PM
Why do we not guard the three??

SoCalBigRed
3/27/2015, 11:01 PM
Get at least TWO stops and score!

SoCalBigRed
3/27/2015, 11:01 PM
GAME OVER.

They are just stupid.

BetterSoonerThanLater
3/27/2015, 11:02 PM
Dumb x infinity

Eielson
That turnover is a killer. Come on...

SoCalBigRed
Goodnight.

That was the biggest bull@#$% bailout call.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 11:03 PM
Not a foul...

Eielson
3/27/2015, 11:03 PM
Goodnight.

That was the biggest bull@#$% bailout call.

See ya.

BetterSoonerThanLater
3/27/2015, 11:04 PM
Game over. No adjustments after the half....no passing, no rebounding, and less hustle

okiewaker
3/27/2015, 11:05 PM
Not giving up yet. We still in good shape.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 11:06 PM
Calling it game with 4 minutes to go and a one possession game?

SoonerMarkVA
3/27/2015, 11:07 PM
FIVE FGs in the entire 2nd half.

Holy. Crap.

Eielson
I think we went 8-11 to start, and then tried to see if we could win without making a jumper for the rest of the game. We've put up a good fight, but we really need to stop showing off.

okiewaker
Them sumbees cannot throw a free throw. Hack-a-shack here on.

FaninAma
The Sooners had achance to build up a sizeable lead but they could not hit shots for long stretches of the game. That had been their achille's heel all season long. They have been abysmal shooting the ball outside of the initial 8 minutes of the game.

BetterSoonerThanLater
3/27/2015, 11:08 PM
Unless we make an adjustment and rebound...yeah I think it's over. I hope I'm wrong

BetterSoonerThanLater
See? No rebounding

aurorasooner
Well, we're going to have to get some Sooner Magic in the last 3 min from
Buddy, 'cause Cousins hasn't been worth squat offensively. Geeez us, O/board for them. Last thing we needed.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 11:10 PM
See? No rebounding

Because our big doubled on the perimeter.

BetterSoonerThanLater
3/27/2015, 11:11 PM
See? No rebounding

Because our big doubled on the perimeter.

Been that way all game. No adjustment whatsoever

BetterSoonerThanLater
3/27/2015, 11:14 PM
We need a stop, and a good offensive poss

SoonerMarkVA
3/27/2015, 11:16 PM
We should be fouling them every chance we get.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 11:16 PM
GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH is Spangler the only guy we have that can rebound??

BetterSoonerThanLater
3/27/2015, 11:18 PM
GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH is Spangler the only guy we have that can rebound??

Apparently

SoonerMarkVA
3/27/2015, 11:21 PM
The shooting alone was pathetic. But giving them chance after chance on the boards was just inexcusable.

EatLeadCommie
3/27/2015, 11:22 PM
Didn't deserve it. When nobody in the paint has the ability to create their own shot, you are damn lucky to get to the Sweet Sixteen. Funny thing is, this team could've easily snuck into the Final Four with the way the bracket opened up, but it just wasn't in the cards.

Fouling with 1:20 left in a one possession game was downright idiotic too.

jkjsooner
3/27/2015, 11:27 PM
We got thoroughly out-husled by MSU. They fought much harder for loose balls and rebounds. That was the story of the game.

aurorasooner
3/27/2015, 11:40 PM
About the biggest disappointment besides us getting bent over in the 2nd, was no Geico chicken/Roy O music ad to keep us from flipping channels during these yawner ads and these dumbazz "Buick wi-fi ads like anyone with half a brain would choose a new vehicle solely because it had wi-fi. Hell, I'd probably shy away from it if all things were equal because it probably would make it easier to hack the door unlock, hack the start up and steal it.
Oh well, I don't know whether to lay the blame on the SAEs or the Nazi art bad vibes, but it just wasn't in the cards tonight. Agree, that we probably won't get an easier draw to a possible final 4 than this year.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 11:47 PM
This is just painful. Absolutely painful.

Not even so much that there is any shame in losing a dogfight like that to a team like MSU. Izzo is a great coach, Trice is a great player, and their whole team fought hard. It's just so hard to swallow would could have been. If we had a guy like Trice, we would have walked into the Final 4 so easily that we'd have had been so puffed up with confidence that we would have expected to take down Kentucky if it came to it. Shoot, any guard that could create half-court offense would have pushed us to the Final 4.

We played heroically on defense, but Izzo stuck it to Kruger late. I'm almost not even disappointed in Kruger. It was like a professional going after an amateur. There was nothing Kruger could do. Kruger didn't really do anything wrong; Izzo just put together a masterpiece (even for his standards). It was incredible the way he forced us into a half-court game, was able to draw up plays to get shooters like Trice open late, and was able to draw Spangler to the perimeter both of the last two possessions (which allowed the game-clinching offensive boards).

Now it's time to regroup. The only player we have to replace is Thomas, but as we saw last year, replacing one player can be more challenging than it appears. The loss of Clark decimated our offense beyond what anybody would have expected this year. Now we have to replace our only low-post threat, and when you couple that with an already terrible half-court offense, it's easy to see reasons for concern. Let's hope Buford is the real deal, because Final Four opportunities don't come around often at places like OU, and I can't stand to see us blow it in back to back years. I'm normally against one and done players at a place like OU, but I think this coming year would be the time to grab one. Hopefully some of those big-time recruits that are still undecided were watching.

8timechamps
3/27/2015, 11:58 PM
This one hurts.

I still think this was a successful year, but when we lose to a team that a) we are better than, and b) had several opportunities to beat, then it hurts. In the end, there were a lot of factors that led to this loss, but the biggest one was our inability to make baskets down the stretch. I give a lot of credit to Izzo, he made several adjustments (late in the first half, then again in the second) that we couldn't over come. That's what makes Izzo so good, and he's been doing this long enough and seen enough tournament basketball to know what to do, and when to do it...not that Lon is bad, he just isn't Izzo.

I thought Buddy played better tonight than he had in either of the first two games, but it didn't feel like anyone else stepped up. We also struggled on offense (specifically in the second half), we were either missing on shots, or ended up putting up bad shots. I don't know how much of that was just our guys not executing, or Michigan States good play, but it doesn't really matter.

I'm still happy about the season overall, and proud of what this team accomplished. Thomas is the only real loss that we'll have to replace, and between Lattin and Manyang (the JUCO kid), we should be able to cover his departure (not that either player will be as good, but I think one of the two can be productive). Lot's to look forward to next year, and it was nice to still be interested in the tournament past the first game.

Eielson
3/28/2015, 12:35 AM
Thomas is the only real loss that we'll have to replace, and between Lattin and Manyang (the JUCO kid), we should be able to cover his departure (not that either player will be as good, but I think one of the two can be productive).

I pretty much agree with the assessment, but I'm not a fan of this part. I've looked on other boards, and it seems to be almost a consensus that Lattin (or possibly Manyang...we don't know much about him other than he's huge) will be inserted into the starting lineup alongside Spangler, but I just don't have high hopes for that. Defensively, that makes us even better, but I don't think we can handle another downgrade of the half-court offense. Lattin + Spangler could be the worst low-post offensive duo in the conference.

If we're going to be better next year, I think Buford is going to have to step in at the 4, and we'll probably need to relegate Spangler to the bench in order to couple him with Lattin. This team would still be dancing if it had Cam, and I think Buford may have some similarities. Of course, if Buddy bolts, we may need Buford to step to take his place on the perimeter.

The cool thing is that, despite the fact that we've been loading up a run in this coming season for a few years, we look like we'll have a promising group of players even after Buddy and Isaiah leave. Woodard, Lattin, and Buford should be a formidable trio in 2 years if they're still around, and hopefully Odome and/or James pans out. James looks like he could be in the mold of Cousins and Thomas, and I'm hoping Odomes' reputation as a shooter is accurate, and that he can take Booker's minutes. Kruger might not be the guy to finish it for us, but he's done a good job of rebuilding us to respectability.

Mookie91
3/28/2015, 01:14 AM
Just got back from the Dome and some quick thoughts from pretty good seats. Buddy didn't play well but also didn't play poorly, forced some shots but that happens when the rest of your team doesn't do much. I like Ryan Spangler as a person but he is so over matched athletically that he doesn't belong on the floor as much as he is. Woodard is a Jekyll and Hyde still, the pass he threw away late in the game is inexcusable. And oh Bong Hit Cousins, looked lost once again, driving into no mans land and taking crazy shots. And the best for last Frank Booker, just absolutely horribly from all facets of the game.

Good news is if they can get a solid post offensive option next year, more consistent play from the guards and better option than Spangler in the starting 5, they could be very good.

birddog
3/28/2015, 10:29 AM
This game went exactly how I thought it would. I was surprised how well we started but I knew the massive dry spell was just a matter of time. Oh well, I enjoyed the vat of fermented gravy I made after we got our first post season win in the big 12 tourney. Good season.

Mookie91
3/28/2015, 10:56 AM
This game went exactly how I thought it would. I was surprised how well we started but I knew the massive dry spell was just a matter of time. Oh well, I enjoyed the vat of fermented gravy I made after we got our first post season win in the big 12 tourney. Good season.

And there is hope with some hard work and one addition this team could be really good next year.

BTW since I'm actually awake now Michigan State's game plan is exactly what is wrong with college basketball.

Eielson
3/28/2015, 11:03 AM
MSU is exactly what's RIGHT about college basketball.

Soonerjeepman
3/28/2015, 01:23 PM
well,
that was a CF. On one hand I'm satisfied we are improving...like others have said though, getting the FF was all ours for the taking.

Our "offense" again was a show/no show.

Good - Buddy, FT shooting...

Bad - Cousins, JW's total brain fart pass late in the game...WTH? YOU are the PG...bring the ball UP!, Why in all that is good did we NOT double team Trice on that last possession and force a BAD FT shooter to hit the 1/1...our up/down brain farts, no inside game.

Outlook: Excited for next year. I "THINK" the 7fter has a better offensive game than his cousin..(which isn't saying much, LOL) but having some size will be good. Buford is SUPPOSED to be a stud..right? Thought I read that. Also, 6'10 McNease? is he still on the team?

I do like Coach Kruger and his calm demeanor, he's a gentleman in a tough game...BUT not sure is offensive philosophy is all that.

Till next year!!!

All is not lost, Gym both men/women are #1, Softball #6, Men's tennis #1...baseball doing OK...so the end of the school year still might get OU a NC in some sport!

Eielson
3/28/2015, 02:15 PM
Outlook: Excited for next year. I "THINK" the 7fter has a better offensive game than his cousin..(which isn't saying much, LOL) but having some size will be good. Buford is SUPPOSED to be a stud..right? Thought I read that. Also, 6'10 McNease? is he still on the team?

I'd be lying if I told you my sources were great, but from the little I hear:

Buford looks like a starter. Not sure much beyond that.

Manyang probably isn't any better than his cousin on offense. Might actually be worse. If you remember, Longar was our 2nd leading scorer his Junior and Senior year. I know those teams weren't as good as we should be next year, but that sandwiched him between Blake and Crocker, which isn't bad company.

McNease is still with the team. He's not expected to contribute much, though.

Soonerjeepman
3/28/2015, 02:42 PM
Ah... okay. Too bad about McNease. Lol, I didn't think longer was that good offensively.... don't remember anyway.
Dang... he played with Blake?.... thought it was earlier.

GDC
3/28/2015, 06:19 PM
All is not lost, Gym both men/women are #1, Softball #6, Men's tennis #1...baseball doing OK...so the end of the school year still might get OU a NC in some sport!

OU's Cody Brewer won a national title in wrestling last week.

Mookie91
3/28/2015, 07:04 PM
MSU is exactly what's RIGHT about college basketball.

You may like the poor shooting, take 30 seconds off the clock before you shoot and physical beyond all recognition post play but I can assure you, you're in the minority.

Eielson
3/28/2015, 07:13 PM
You may like the poor shooting, take 30 seconds off the clock before you shoot and physical beyond all recognition post play but I can assure you, you're in the minority.

If you ask all of your 14 and 15 year old friends who don't actually play basketball, then yes, I'd probably be in the minority. On the other hand, if you were to talk to basketball coaches across the country at all levels, they'd express a deep admiration for Izzo and teams like his.

The paint is for grown men, and there's nothing wrong with utilizing the shot clock. I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that MSU is a poor shooting team, as they're actually actually really good. Perhaps you only watched last night's game, and failed to realize what great defense we play (which is something you've done all year).

Mookie91
3/28/2015, 08:04 PM
If you ask all of your 14 and 15 year old friends who don't actually play basketball, then yes, I'd probably be in the minority. On the other hand, if you were to talk to basketball coaches across the country at all levels, they'd express a deep admiration for Izzo and teams like his.

The paint is for grown men, and there's nothing wrong with utilizing the shot clock. I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that MSU is a poor shooting team, as they're actually actually really good. Perhaps you only watched last night's game, and failed to realize what great defense we play (which is something you've done all year).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2015/01/19/slow-paced-low-scoring-season-bodes-badly-for-college-hoops-watchability/21959099/

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/sports/ncaabasketball/ionas-offense-goes-80-as-other-teams-hit-the-brakes.html?_r=0

15 year old boy? good call.

Coaches love Izzo and teams like this because they all think they are smarter than the next guy and they have the answer as to how basketball should be played.

Michigan State is one of the worst free throw shooting teams in the nation and a pretty good indicator of team shooting ability is whether or not they can make an uncontested 15 footer. Free throw shooting also takes into account the shooting ability of every offensive player not just those who are the coaches designated shooters.

And let's not go crazy about our great defense yet considering Iowa State and Baylor couldn't crack 60 points against 14 seeds.

Eielson
3/28/2015, 09:37 PM
Seeing how much Izzo wins, I think it's pretty safe to say he knows how basketball should be played, and that he IS smarter than the next guy.

Michigan State is a bad FT shooting team. Is that why you don't like him...because his team is poor at shooting FTs? He's coached a long time, and this is his worst FT shooting team ever. I'm sure you noticed, though, that at the end of the game, we had no option but to foul good FT shooters. Some of their bigs were bad shooters, but did that make Shaq a bad basketball player? I think it's childlike to pick ther FT shooting out to call them bad shooters when I'm betting you know their FG and 3 Pt percentages far exceed ours, as well as Kansas, ISU, and most other teams.

Also, I'm not impressed that the Iona and Belmont coaches are unhappy.

Mookie91
3/28/2015, 10:47 PM
Seeing how much Izzo wins, I think it's pretty safe to say he knows how basketball should be played, and that he IS smarter than the next guy.

Michigan State is a bad FT shooting team. Is that why you don't like him...because his team is poor at shooting FTs? He's coached a long time, and this is his worst FT shooting team ever. I'm sure you noticed, though, that at the end of the game, we had no option but to foul good FT shooters. Some of their bigs were bad shooters, but did that make Shaq a bad basketball player? I think it's childlike to pick ther FT shooting out to call them bad shooters when I'm betting you know their FG and 3 Pt percentages far exceed ours, as well as Kansas, ISU, and most other teams.

Also, I'm not impressed that the Iona and Belmont coaches are unhappy.

Never said Izzo doesn't win or his strategy isn't effective, just that it's ruining watching the game of basketball. I, like many, don't like Michigan State's game because they take the air out if the ball. They intentionally slow the ball down to limit the other teams possessions to ensure that even when they shoot the ball poorly, they can still win. It is incredibly boring and many fans, analysts and coaches alike are shouting for rules changes to make the game better, yes better. As they did when the 3 point line was put in play and added a shot clock.