PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Men's Tournament Game Thread - non OU

Soonerjeepman
3/19/2015, 02:33 PM
Well, 3 seeds struggling...
ND escaped...ISU went down...BU was struggling..up 10 now.

Post any other game thoughts...

Soonerjeepman
3/19/2015, 02:50 PM
Wow....both big 12 #3 seeds go down...

SoonerorLater
3/19/2015, 02:52 PM
Big 12 toughest conference top to bottom?

badger
3/19/2015, 02:53 PM
What will be better--- Iowa State meltdown or Baylor meltdown?

Eff my bracket... MELTDOWN! MELTDOWN!
kzF0bP5SHwQ

Don't expect anything today... I'm gonna let both Ames and Waco burn before I attempt to loot the remains

OU Adonis
3/19/2015, 02:54 PM

B12 is definitely a Bottom... oh thats not what you meant.

badger
3/19/2015, 02:54 PM
Wow....both big 12 #3 seeds go down...

Take the "Sooner" outta your username, jeepman :mad::mad::mad:

Soonerjeepman
3/19/2015, 02:56 PM
Wasn't going jinx OU....by mentioning them...😉

Eielson
3/19/2015, 03:03 PM
So much for my bracket...

aurorasooner
3/19/2015, 03:04 PM
I would say that our men's BB team thumping their chests out with overconfidence about this best BB conference deal, just took a bend over beating. Holy Cow, I bet our commish is looking for a razor blade. He just turned into a bigger Bevo homer than Beebe, if that's possible.

Eielson
3/19/2015, 03:08 PM

Maybe bottom.

Sadly enough, KU and OU were, IMO, the teams primed for an early upset.

Eielson
3/19/2015, 03:12 PM
This is entertaining and all, but in reality, it just goes to show why the NCAA tournament is the most ridiculous way to crown a champion in any major sport.

Bourbon St Sooner
3/19/2015, 03:13 PM
I view this as good news for us. There's got to be one 3 seed win by double digits. Right?

Soonerjeepman
3/19/2015, 03:18 PM
I'm actually thinking there will b more upsets. Minus uk, zona, uva, Wisconsin...the field is pretty level...
Nowadays you need 1/2 real good players...3/5 decent role players...a good coach....and a lot of schools have that.

Listening to Jim Calhoun....he said tournament wins are for coaches...kids want to know how many guys go pro.

Eielson
3/19/2015, 03:23 PM
Arizona had to be the jerks to show the world that it IS possible to win big in the first round. Both 11s look in good shape to pull off the upset, and the 14's nearly pulled off the Thursday sweep.

ouflak
3/19/2015, 03:24 PM
I did 10 brackets (all ESPN) and am surprised at how little faith I had in the Big12 teams. In four brackets, I had either ISU or Baylor losing in the 1st round. In one, I had them both losing (but missed the ND-NE pick, so no perfect bracket possible for me now). In only one out of all ten did I have both teams advancing to the Sweet 16. I must have subconsciously known something was amiss.

aurorasooner
3/19/2015, 03:28 PM
Listening to Jim Calhoun....he said tournament wins are for coaches...kids want to know how many guys go pro.After watching all these talented big tall guys that can shoot the BB, I would say that any of our guys that are thinking of going pro early, better speak ""Europe.

Soonerjeepman
3/19/2015, 03:29 PM
How did u have OU going?

That is the question...lol

Soonerjeepman
3/19/2015, 03:31 PM
Holmes is the only thing for the horns....

Soonerjeepman
3/19/2015, 03:33 PM
Buddy's set shot for the 3 won't work in the nba...

8timechamps
3/19/2015, 03:43 PM
I view this as good news for us. There's got to be one 3 seed win by double digits. Right?

If nothing else, it'll make our guys take notice and be on guard for the potential upset. Baylor tried to back it down too early, and it cost them. I didn't see the Iowa State game, so I'm not sure what happened there, and Notre Dame was just sluggish from the start.

If we come out ready to play, we'll be fine.

Soonerjeepman
3/19/2015, 04:01 PM
Well...horns look like going down. Good offense Barnes....jeez. Smu coming back as well

SoonerorLater
3/19/2015, 04:06 PM
Embarrassing day for the Big 12.

Soonerjeepman
3/19/2015, 04:11 PM
So much for vaunted big 12...
0fer today...
Two #3 seeds and a decent 11...

So, OU, ku, osu, ugh...who was the other....will need to win. Guess all I care is OU.
Wvu...

badger
3/19/2015, 04:12 PM
Dammit whorns, leave me some Big 12 meltdown material for week 2 :mack:
cTUJSEFKSBE

Soonerjeepman
3/19/2015, 04:42 PM
Lol....no doubt

Mookie91
3/19/2015, 05:47 PM
Problem with Big 12, and college basketball in general, a lot of fans, coaches, analysts, etc. all think close games mean good basketball and it doesn't. Once again Baylor, ISU and Texas go 5-8 minutes with horrendous offense and low and behold under 60 points.

Soonerjeepman
3/19/2015, 06:01 PM
Yes.... crazy. No offense... and not it wasn't great defense.

Mookie91
3/19/2015, 06:03 PM
Yes.... crazy. No offense... and not it wasn't great defense.

Yeah, college basketball needs a major overhaul. I can think of a few suggestions :)

8timechamps
3/19/2015, 06:04 PM
Not surprised Texas lost (although, they had become one of the favorite upsets recently), but the Iowa State and Baylor losses did surprise me. Not a good start to the tourney for the Big XII. OU, KU, OSU & WVU have to carry the torch, and I'm not sure WVU or OSU will win their opening games.

8timechamps
3/19/2015, 06:07 PM
I don't think the Big XII being a great conference has anything to do with today's upsets. Whenever you put everything on one game, upsets will happen. Iowa State and Baylor would beat the teams they lost to 9 times out of 10, but today they lost.

The Big XII was one of (if not the) best conferences in the country this year. Today's losses don't really change that. Besides, nobody in the Big XII probably has a shot to knock of Kentucky anyway.

swardboy
3/19/2015, 06:27 PM
Is it time for the 100 day countdown to kickoff?

Eielson
3/19/2015, 06:45 PM
We beat UCLA in the Bahamas, and they beat SMU today. We also beat Butler in the Bahamas, who beat Texas today. UNC was also there, and they're off to a fast start against Harvard.

Let's not associate with the Big XII. From henceforth, we are from the Bahamas.

Mookie91
3/19/2015, 07:45 PM
I don't think the Big XII being a great conference has anything to do with today's upsets. Whenever you put everything on one game, upsets will happen. Iowa State and Baylor would beat the teams they lost to 9 times out of 10, but today they lost.

The Big XII was one of (if not the) best conferences in the country this year. Today's losses don't really change that. Besides, nobody in the Big XII probably has a shot to knock of Kentucky anyway.

I think we overuse the word "great". The Big 12 was very good this season. Upsets are typically 6 vs 11 or 5 vs 12, two 3 vs 14 collapses is borderline embarrassing and that is still with a banged up 2 and an inconsistent 3 tomorrow.

I always pull for OU and then the Big 12, minus Kansas of course, so the conference really needs a Kansas win and a OU win tomorrow.

Eielson
3/19/2015, 08:35 PM
Bahamas Conference Thursday Results:

UNC beats Harvard
UCLA beats SMU
Butler beats Texas
UAB beast ISU

Georgetown plays tonight, and Wisconsin and Oklahoma will play tomorrow. 7-0 here we come (out of 8 teams...shame on you Florida)! All hail mighty Bahamas! We're clearly the best.

Eielson
3/19/2015, 08:38 PM
But Seriously...this is crazy. Finishing 2nd in that tournament might make me back off Kruger's tournament ability. Seven of eight teams in the field of 32??

Eielson
3/19/2015, 09:04 PM
I've had to miss most of today's action....but holy cow did you guys watch the Baylor game finish? Georgia State went on a 13-0 run to win by one in the final 2:54? That's one of the biggest meltdowns in recent history.

hawaii 5-0
3/19/2015, 10:12 PM
Not a good day for the Big 12.

5-0

aurorasooner
3/19/2015, 10:48 PM
LSU goes down after losing a big lead. The TD melt should be epic. Pigs in a tight one with Wofford. My goodness, Lafayette got stomped by 40.

8timechamps
3/19/2015, 11:14 PM
Crazy stat for the day: Only 4 of the 16 games played today were decided by more than 8 points. That's assuming G'town hangs on (they're up with a big lead).

I can't remember a tournament with so many games in the first round coming down to the end. I also don't think two 3 seeds have ever lost on the same day in the first round. I know 3 seeds have gone down to 13 seeds in the past, but I don't think two in the same day has ever happened.

Eielson
3/19/2015, 11:28 PM
Georgetown is running away with this, so I'm gonna call it an official 5-0 sweep today.

BUH-HAHM-UZ! BUH-HAHM-UZ! BUH-HAHM-UZ!

aurorasooner
3/19/2015, 11:37 PM
Crazy stat for the day: State of Texas 0-5 in the NCAA Tourney.
14 seed Georgia State 57 v. 3 seed Baylor 56
6 seed Butler 56 v. 11 seed Texas 48
11 seed UCLA 60 v. 6 seed SMU 59
2 seed Arizona 93 v. 15 seed Texas Southern 72
5 seed Utah 57 v. 12 seed Stephen F. Austin 50
Sure hope the Big 12 can go at least 3 of 4 tomorrow and leave all this BB press embarrassment to our south.

Ton Loc
3/20/2015, 07:40 AM
Crazy stat for the day: Only 4 of the 16 games played today were decided by more than 8 points. That's assuming G'town hangs on (they're up with a big lead).

I can't remember a tournament with so many games in the first round coming down to the end. I also don't think two 3 seeds have ever lost on the same day in the first round. I know 3 seeds have gone down to 13 seeds in the past, but I don't think two in the same day has ever happened.

I think the terrible offenses coupled with the terrible officiating that has invaded most of the college game has something to do with the close finishes.

SMU got absolutely jobbed yesterday. That goal tending call was garbage.

Soonerjeepman
3/20/2015, 08:24 AM
We beat UCLA in the Bahamas, and they beat SMU today. We also beat Butler in the Bahamas, who beat Texas today. UNC was also there, and they're off to a fast start against Harvard.

Let's not associate with the Big XII. From henceforth, we are from the Bahamas.

lol, nice...yes we are The Bahamas!

SoCalBigRed
3/20/2015, 05:20 PM
UC Irvine should have won that game. Exciting. What a shame.

Eielson
3/20/2015, 05:37 PM
BIg XII rebounded a little today with WVU and KU victories. They're still nothing compared to the mighty Bahamas.

Sooner95
3/20/2015, 07:00 PM
Lots of chalk today. UC Irvine had a chance, Valpo was close too but never thought they would quite get there.

Blue
3/20/2015, 07:01 PM
Lets hope we're not the one to go down.

Blue
3/20/2015, 11:10 PM
Chalk city aside from vcu/ohio st, Baylor, and isu. Never seen that much chalk. Obama must be leading the brackets.

Soonerfan88
3/20/2015, 11:26 PM
I'm excited to see KU & Bill Self finally have to play Wichita State.

Sooner95
3/20/2015, 11:28 PM
Yea all chalk today. Dayton/Prov all that is left...

Sooner95
3/20/2015, 11:53 PM
We better be ready to bring our A+ game on Sunday. Looks like we will be getting Dayton, the home crowd and the home officials... OYE...

aurorasooner
3/21/2015, 12:01 AM
We better be ready to bring our A+ game on Sunday. Looks like we will be getting Dayton, the home crowd and the home officials... OYE...Yeah, just flipped over from the Tonight Show, and they're beating them like a rented mule. Providence just hit a 3 to bring it down to 9 with under 2 min left. This looks just like one of our Big 12 games in the last part of the regular season. Just when we put all that Aussie spew to bed, the team will have to put up with all that Ohio homer crap all weekend. Now at 10 with a min 25 left.

Goatweeb just said that this arena will be rockin' with WVa/Maryland game on Sunday since both states were close, then the Dayton game. Kind of got my hopes up that Wva fans will be rooting for the Sooners/Big 12, but I thought Wva was in another bracket/city, don't know. My bracket from CBS doesn't show the cities of the games just the match-ups.

Blue
3/21/2015, 12:11 AM
Man I hate Ohio. Bring it Flyers!

Eielson
3/21/2015, 12:41 AM
Anybody know the last time Dayton lost at home? Nov. 21 against UConn. It's the only time it's happened all year. Then again, does anybody know the last time Dayton played a team of our caliber at home? Trick question...they haven't.

We'll have to play well, and probably better than tonight, but we don't have any business losing this game, either. If I'm right, and MSU pulls off the UVA upset, our path to the Elite 8 won't involve a single team ranked higher than a 7 seed. That's about as easy of a path as it gets. I might rather play UVA than MSU, though.

Sooner95
3/21/2015, 01:00 AM
EF Dayton and their home **** and ESPN lovefest. I really do not like them right now, and I normally wouldn't care..lol

Like I said, we'll have to play better than tonight, but we did some good things. Our bench had 13 pts. Got to be a season high.. Have to have the support.

Buddy will need to shoot better also. Thomas, will need to continue his great game tonight.

We can win, no doubt. Just can't lay an egg...or all we will hear is the crowd and ESPN love.....

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/21/2015, 06:51 AM
EF Dayton and their home **** and ESPN lovefest. I really do not like them right now, and I normally wouldn't care..lol

Like I said, we'll have to play better than tonight, but we did some good things. Our bench had 13 pts. Got to be a season high.. Have to have the support.

Buddy will need to shoot better also. Thomas, will need to continue his great game tonight.

We can win, no doubt. Just can't lay an egg...or all we will hear is the crowd and ESPN love.....

The crowd will definitely be pro-Dayton but Dayton's bench is shorter than OU, which is something you can't say often and they will be playing their third game in 5 days a couple of their starters playing almost every second on the floor.

I've seen enough to know that this team can lay an egg and lose but I think we go into Sunday looking pretty good.

SoonerMarkVA
3/21/2015, 08:30 AM
Anybody know the last time Dayton lost at home? Nov. 21 against UConn. It's the only time it's happened all year. Then again, does anybody know the last time Dayton played a team of our caliber at home? Trick question...they haven't.

We'll have to play well, and probably better than tonight, but we don't have any business losing this game, either. If I'm right, and MSU pulls off the UVA upset, our path to the Elite 8 won't involve a single team ranked higher than a 7 seed. That's about as easy of a path as it gets. I might rather play UVA than MSU, though.

I know I would. MSU is always tough as nails. OU doesn't seem to fare well against those teams.

Eielson
3/21/2015, 11:25 AM

Correction: the game against UConn was in Puerto Rico, so Dayton hasn't lost a home game all year, so it's been at least a year since they lost at home.

Eielson
3/21/2015, 11:31 AM
I know I would. MSU is always tough as nails. OU doesn't seem to fare well against those teams.

Agreed on MSU. UVA has been cut from similar cloth in recent years, though. I think a lot will depend on the health of Justin Anderson. It appears he's starting to finally recover.

Either way, though, we'll be playing a tough game. It's hard to imagine being the favorites against an Izzo coached team in the Sweet 16.

Eielson
3/21/2015, 01:34 PM
Bahamas 8 just went to 8-1. The one loss, of course, came to another Bahamas 8 member. UAB lost to UCLA, which makes it the first of 7 members to go home, but also marks the first Sweet 16 ticket punched. We beat UCLA, but never played UAB.

We're so underrated!

Eielson
3/21/2015, 07:26 PM
NC State is giving Nova a run for their money. Maybe we can make the Final 4 without playing a team seeded better than 7?

Eielson
3/21/2015, 08:34 PM
And DOWN goes Villanova!

Soonerjeepman
3/22/2015, 11:33 AM
msu giving virginia a game

Eielson
3/22/2015, 12:05 PM
msu giving virginia a game

Or is it the other way around? MSU has controlled this game since the opening tip. I might feel lucky if we get Virginia instead.

ouflak
3/22/2015, 01:30 PM
Well, now we're the top seed remaining in the East. I didn't predict that at this point..

Eielson
3/22/2015, 01:31 PM
MSU wins. That will be a tough win (if we get there), but it's not too bad for a Sweet 16 matchup.

Eielson
3/22/2015, 01:46 PM
Well, now we're the top seed remaining in the East. I didn't predict that at this point..

Indeed. If UNI (or NC State) knocks off Louisville, and somebody knocks off Duke in the region below us, I think we'll be favored in every game all the way to the championship game. If we win tonight, I might actually start watching Kentucky games with genuine interest. I've never really thought of this team as a Final 4/Championship game type team (a year away), but wow, this is really shaping up well for us.

SoonerMarkVA
3/22/2015, 02:10 PM
I have a bad feeling we won't get past MSU assuming we win tonight. I really wanted UVA instead. But, Dayton first.

Blue
3/22/2015, 02:24 PM
We can beat anybody, anybody can beat us. Its the tourney.

Eielson
3/22/2015, 02:43 PM
We can beat anybody, anybody can beat us. Its the tourney.

Except Kentucky. We can't beat them.

And Albany. We brought our C-game, and still beat them.

Eielson
3/22/2015, 02:55 PM
And we wouldn't beat Duke. Or Arizona. Wisconsin is mildly possible, but really, really tough.

SoonerMarkVA
3/26/2015, 08:03 PM
I guess KU was Wichita St's Superbowl.

SoonerMarkVA
3/26/2015, 09:10 PM
These refs suck, big time. WV is getting jobbed.

aurorasooner
3/26/2015, 09:23 PM
Yep, well their player and the Huggin's girls probably should've just stayed off social media this week. Hopefully WVa will make a game of it, but this one could get embarrassingly ugly real quick.
Geez, the Kentucky players sure make some big-time athletic guard-type moves for as tall as they are.

SoonerMarkVA
3/26/2015, 09:27 PM
Yeah, they are ridiculously impressive. Makes it further absurd that the refs are putting their thumb on it, too. WV would have to be at the top of their game to win this with even officiating. Really pisses me off seeing this.

aurorasooner
3/26/2015, 09:35 PM
I think this is what scares me the most about our team playing at this level. With this level of competition, if you have a lid-on-the-basket type scoring drought when you only score 12 points thru 3/4 of the 1st half, you're out of it real quick.

birddog
3/26/2015, 09:46 PM
This game is awful. The refs glued the whistles to their mouths.There is no flow and wvu has no chance to even set up their press. Glad it's not us playing UK.

birddog
3/26/2015, 10:46 PM
66-30!

birddog
3/26/2015, 11:07 PM
78-39 final. You do the math on that one.

aurorasooner
3/26/2015, 11:42 PM
This game is awful. The refs glued the whistles to their mouths.There is no flow and wvu has no chance to even set up their press. Glad it's not us playing UK. Sure glad that Kentucky is on the other side of the bracket. If we played them our only shot, imo, would be for us to shoot something like 80% outside the arc and for them to have a lid on the basket. If we happen to make the 4 then I'd rather us get beat in the semis but play respectable, than get mudholed like WVa tonight, unless we happen to play Duke, then screw it. I'd rather beat them and hope for some Hickory Hoosiers type Sooner magic in the finals, than lose to Duke in the semis.
I don't think it will come down to anything close to that, but you never know.

The talking heads will make it appear that a Kentucky/Wisky match-up in the semis would be for all the marbles, and the finals against the east/south winner just a formality. An unlikely Sooner win in the finals against an undefeated Kentucky team, would probably be the biggest upset in the history of sports. Sure would be glorious though and forever erase coughing up that Natty to Kansas.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 12:26 AM
Of the 12 left in the field, I think Kentucky could beat about 8 of them by 20+. Unfortunately for them, the only four teams I think stand a chance are Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Arizona, and Duke, and that's exactly who they're lined up to play.

SoCalBigRed
3/27/2015, 12:30 AM
Well, having been away from the college game so long and really being immersed in the NBA, which I've lost the passion for over the end of the Stern regime...

Watching a bunch of NBA picks play together, that Kentucky squad... wow! Tonight's game looked like future NBA picks playing against a HS team. If they keep playing that way, no one in the country is going to beat them. They will finish undefeated. Officiating, no matter.

Anyone to beat them, will have to have the game of their lives, all players, bench and UK will have to go in a horrid slump. I hate for this to sound so gushing, but I can't believe the length, athleticism, speed, unselfishness, trust, etc... I saw. They are going to destroy ND. Talk up of this game, is ridiculous. They are going to stuff those threes in ND's face. On the defensive end, no way ND can guard them. They can't hit that many threes, because they don't have the size to play them in the paint.

I know they have to play the games and I know stranger things have happened. I know anyone can win, on any given night. I remember another team of destiny. Future NBA players. Hell, some future HoF players... and I watched it all crumble with an ill-fated time out (bahahahahaha). They're RIPE to be taken down. The game is made for these types of juggernauts to fall. Except, sometimes one just has everything clicking. They're going to be hard to derail. I think they'd have to shoot themselves in the foot, for it to happen.

I might eat crow, but dayum... that was impressive.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 12:34 AM
I guess KU was Wichita St's Superbowl.

To some extent, I think so, but I think ND is just better than Kansas. This was the year to take the Big XII, and ISU blew it (kinda...they did win the tournament). If Alexander and Ellis leave, Kansas may not be any better next year.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 12:40 AM
I don't have the courage to say ND will upset Kentucky, but I think it's foolish to count them out. As much as this is Kentucky's title to lose, I wouldn't bet on them sweeping ND, Wisconsin, and Duke. In reality, the odds are slightly less than 50% that they do this; which is crazy, because this is a truly historic achievement. It's just not even close to a done deal.

Soonerjeepman
3/27/2015, 02:19 PM
I tell ya what....uk dispatched wv like they were a jr high team...got ugly quick.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 08:22 PM
I tell ya what....uk dispatched wv like they were a jr high team...got ugly quick.

Kentucky is the best team, and the fact that they might not be crowned as the national champion just goes to show what a joke the NCAA tournament is at crowning a true national champion. I know they destroyed WVU, but they also went to OT against some weak SEC teams in the regular season. There aren't do-overs in the NCAA tourney, and they've never faced a 3-game stretch even close to what lies ahead for them.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 08:23 PM
NC State is taking Louisville to the wire! This all means nothing if we don't take care of business tonight, but I didn't expect that, and I would love to avoid Pitino and Harrell.

Eielson
3/27/2015, 08:29 PM
NC State is taking Louisville to the wire! This all means nothing if we don't take care of business tonight, but I didn't expect that, and I would love to avoid Pitino and Harrell.

NC State is now on the ropes. Louisville is about to put them away.

birddog
3/28/2015, 10:09 PM
UK came back at the end. Thought nd would end the longest winning streak in bball too.

Eielson
3/28/2015, 10:29 PM
I don't have the courage to say ND will upset Kentucky, but I think it's foolish to count them out. As much as this is Kentucky's title to lose, I wouldn't bet on them sweeping ND, Wisconsin, and Duke. In reality, the odds are slightly less than 50% that they do this; which is crazy, because this is a truly historic achievement. It's just not even close to a done deal.

I just want to say I told you all so.

Eielson
3/29/2015, 03:30 PM
MSU missed their FT's late against Louisville, and now Louisville has the ball with 12 seconds down 1.

Eielson
3/29/2015, 03:38 PM
Louisville makes one of two free throws, and we're going to OT.

Due to OU's painful departure, I haven't been able to enjoy this NCAA tournament as much, but this has been a fantastic Elite 8, and it's shaping up to be an even better Final 4.

This has been one of the best tournaments in a long time.

Eielson
3/29/2015, 03:54 PM
MSU wins in OT after Louisville gave up an offensive rebound late. Sounds familiar, huh?

Should have been us. Watching the pain of Louisville reminds me way too much of us. This is bad for my health.

Eielson
4/4/2015, 11:12 PM

I. FREAKIN. TOLD YOU SO.

Soonerjeepman
4/5/2015, 05:59 PM
Great game last night. Couple of bad calls but it was both ways.... so it evened out