PDA

View Full Version : OUr players recited the Lord's Prayer, then walked out of practice

badger
3/9/2015, 03:56 PM
Link:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ou-football-players-recite-prayer-walk-out-on-practice/article_bd106d19-e104-50b0-9f22-8e0b0374caae.html

According to OU, it was a captain's decision not to practice.

Remember kids: Everything you say and do is potentially being recorded by a cell phone. Everyone is one mistake on video away from being an Internet pariah. Please think about the consequences of your words and actions often.

I respect and admire our team's decision, so I, too will recite the Lord's Prayer with them :)

Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
and the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever.
Amen.

cvsooner
3/9/2015, 05:39 PM
Uh, let's be accurate here: players AND coaches recited a prayer and then walked out TOGETHER.

BoulderSooner79
3/9/2015, 07:00 PM
I always thought is was "Howard be thy name". I must watch too many movies.

EatLeadCommie
3/10/2015, 08:14 AM
They were just repeating what they did for the Wal Mart Bowl practices this year.

tycat947
3/10/2015, 09:05 AM

It's NOT?

badger
3/10/2015, 09:22 AM
Uh, let's be accurate here: players AND coaches recited a prayer and then walked out TOGETHER
I don't mean to suggest the coaches were not in full support of this. They were all there and seemed to be very supportive of what the team was doing.

On a sidenote, the mens bball team had a full practice, but the players and coaches were at the morning rally on North Oval

ObiKaTony
3/10/2015, 12:54 PM
Let's recite a prayer every-time a college kid says something stupid...I don't know which is worse, the sanctimony or the white guilt. I'm fed up with it. A woman gets her head sawed off by a man motivated by jihad in the state of Oklahoma, and not 1/16th the reaction of this. Our world is nothing but political correctness run amuck...

BoulderSooner79
3/10/2015, 12:58 PM
Let's recite a prayer every-time a college kid says something stupid...I don't know which is worse, the sanctimony or the white guilt. I'm fed up with it. A woman gets her head sawed off by a man motivated by jihad and not 1/16th the reaction of this. Our world is nothing but political correctness run amuck...

Perception is reality and you're not required to like it. I'm sure Stoops didn't want the team to miss a practice, but he is well aware this bit of nonsense has the potential to hurt the future of the team in non-trivial ways.

badger
3/10/2015, 12:59 PM
Let's recite a prayer every-time a college kid says something stupid
I'm not overly religious, but I admittedly do pray at football games, especially after injuries.

ObiKaTony
3/10/2015, 01:08 PM
Perception is reality and you're not required to like it. I'm sure Stoops didn't want the team to miss a practice, but he is well aware this bit of nonsense has the potential to hurt the future of the team in non-trivial ways.

Perception isn't relegated to be solely defined by boulder. By acknowledging the actions of some frat boys stupid comments gives the situation credence, and in my opinion it was handled poorly. Prayer, walking in line, and Boren making statement after statement is nonsense...look for more stupid comments for those wanting attention because they certainly got it...

FaninAma
3/10/2015, 01:26 PM
Perception isn't relegated to be solely defined by boulder. By acknowledging the actions of some frat boys stupid comments gives the situation credence, and in my opinion it was handled poorly. Prayer, walking in line, and Boren making statement after statement is nonsense...look for more stupid comments for those wanting attention because they certainly got it...

The national media has Boren and the entire OU campus on puppet strings and they will make them dance as long as they don't get bored with their game.

They closed the fraternity....good. They have done everything they can do via public statements that this incident is not representative of the OU community...very good. We'll see if this makes the MSM happy or not. I tend to think the answer will be "not".

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/10/2015, 01:28 PM
Let's recite a prayer every-time a college kid says something stupid...I don't know which is worse, the sanctimony or the white guilt. I'm fed up with it. A woman gets her head sawed off by a man motivated by jihad in the state of Oklahoma, and not 1/16th the reaction of this. Our world is nothing but political correctness run amuck...Some folks have different priorities and orientations than the MSM.

3/10/2015, 01:30 PM
The national media has Boren and the entire OU campus on puppet strings and they will make them dance as long as they don't get bored with their game.

They closed the fraternity....good. They have done everything they can do via public statements that this incident is not representative of the OU community...very good. We'll see if this makes the MSM happy or not. I tend to think the answer will be "not".OU, and the whole state actually, are on the sh*t list of the MSM.

ObiKaTony
3/10/2015, 01:30 PM
Some folks have different priorities and orientations than the MSM.

http://buzzpo.com/no-whites-allowed-chicago-area-high-school-hosts-blacks-only-assembly/?utm_content=buffer2f2c9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=positivelyrepublican

It's very simple- point to the act of racism and it makes what some frat boys said meaningless...

ObiKaTony
3/10/2015, 01:31 PM
Fuc$ the MSM, and boren is a liberal
Hack anyway. He probably gets a hard on doing these news conferences

Tear Down This Wall
3/10/2015, 01:48 PM
Let's recite a prayer every-time a college kid says something stupid...I don't know which is worse, the sanctimony or the white guilt. I'm fed up with it. A woman gets her head sawed off by a man motivated by jihad in the state of Oklahoma, and not 1/16th the reaction of this. Our world is nothing but political correctness run amuck...

The quicker you understand and accept that no one except white males can be racist, the better off your life will be.

BoulderSooner79
3/10/2015, 02:02 PM

It's not my reality - I'm not protesting or reciting prayers. I see this as a stupid act by drunk frat boys and I do not imply in any way they represent anyone outside their house walls. I just acknowledge that Boren and Stoops have to take it seriously as part of their jobs because of perception out in the world in general. It's reality to the school and the football program. I have no personal stake in enrollment/tuition/athletic recruiting outside of hoping OU wins some games.

cvsooner
3/10/2015, 02:10 PM
Coming as a former Oklahoman now living outside the state, the attention of late has been nearly all self-inflicted. Banning AP history classes. Mandatory 'pray the gay' away nonsense. Now this.

It's like you're trying to rival Kansas for worst state in the country.

KantoSooner
3/10/2015, 02:15 PM
You can throw in the Ten Commandments kerfuffle, the satan statue and our state rep's panting anxiety over sharia law.
We waste no chance.

3/10/2015, 02:39 PM
That sharia law is certainly a winner. Who's to say a group of folks can't establish it?! After all, it's multi-national, so it's better than our fuddy duddy outdated constitution.

cvsooner
3/10/2015, 02:55 PM
It's there in the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

You cower under your bed much about Sharia law coming soon to a legislature near you?

We are way off topic in this thread.

3/10/2015, 03:04 PM
It's there in the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

You cower under your bed much about Sharia law coming soon to a legislature near you?

We are way off topic in this thread.That's right. Islam is just another religion. Why should anyone have the right to express any anxiety over sharia law?!

Pricetag
3/10/2015, 03:43 PM
LOL, reminds me of an episode of "Night Court" where Bull thought he had a near-death experience. He saw the maintenance guy, Art, surrounded by light while changing a light bulb, and thought he was God. "Oh, that's why they say, 'Our Father, who is Art in Heaven.'"

bmjlr
3/12/2015, 01:39 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/oklahoma-sooners-racist-sae-video-players-response-031215

After the way they played last year, they shouldn't be skipping any practices...:dejection:

FaninAma
3/12/2015, 02:27 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/oklahoma-sooners-racist-sae-video-players-response-031215

After the way they played last year, they shouldn't be skipping any practices...:dejection:

Apparently they have found Stoops' and Boren's kryptonite. Stoops has lost control of the program. I think last year was the same as Mack Brown's 2010 season....the beginning of the end. Where are all of the other sports teams at OU? I guess they just aren't quite as offended.

graphster
3/12/2015, 02:31 PM
Wait. A racist frat engages in despicable behavior, and disgraces the entire campus. OU's football team (rightly) reacts with outrage (along with many other students, faculty, and staff on campus), and somehow their protest is an example of Stoops losing "control" of the program? Unbelievable.

3/12/2015, 02:34 PM
OU seems to be reeling in uncontrollable embarrassment.

Tear Down This Wall
3/12/2015, 02:37 PM
OU seems to be reeling in uncontrollable embarrassment.

Starts at the top.

SoonerorLater
3/12/2015, 02:38 PM
Wait. A racist frat engages in despicable behavior, and disgraces the entire campus. OU's football team (rightly) reacts with outrage (along with many other students, faculty, and staff on campus), and somehow their protest is an example of Stoops losing "control" of the program? Unbelievable.

Yeah, everybody just kind of goes where they want to with this stuff twisting the controversy around to promote their own agenda.

FaninAma
3/12/2015, 02:55 PM
So which other teams felt so butt hurt by the incident that they had to call off practice for 4 days and make all kinds of statements to the media? Oh, and for good measure here is Boren's statement after the Mixon fiasco:

"The University is an educational institution, which always sets high standards that we hope will be upheld by our students. We hope that our students will all learn from those standards, but at the same time, we believe in second chances so that our students can learn and grow from life's experiences."

I love the Univeresity of Oklahoma. My disappointment is directed at Boren's double standards regarding student conduct and the football team's very evident sense of entitlement and lack of loyalty to the University. To hell with them. And I am just so very tired of the pervasive use of the victim card by so many who have been extended an opportunity to achieve success that most never get.

3/12/2015, 03:05 PM
I love the Univeresity of Oklahoma. My disappointment is directed at Boren's double standards regarding student conduct and the football team's very evident sense of entitlement and lack of loyalty to the University. To hell with them. And I am just so very tired of the pervasive use of the victim card by so many who have been extended an opportunity to achieve success that most never get.OU is wind twisting right now, and it's a sad scene for fans like us.

SoonerorLater
3/12/2015, 03:13 PM
It was a political call by Boren. That's what he is at heart, a politician.

Tear Down This Wall
3/12/2015, 03:14 PM
The upshot of all of this, of course, is that Boren and Stoops put themselves in this no-win situation last fall during the Mixon thing, the receiver from Mizzou deal, and the Shannon situation.

I think it does nothing but split support from them among those of us who buy season tickets and donate.

I'll tell you this, although we've already re-upped our season tickets for 2015, we've held off on donating to the stadium improvement. We'll hold off until we see how the leadership shakes out over the next couple of years. Right now, they are not doing anything to build our confidence in them.

Yet, sadly, even while contradicting themselves and openly promoting a double standard, they believe they have done the right things. That's how far removed from reality I think they are at this point. It's sad to watch.

BoulderSooner79
3/12/2015, 03:38 PM
The upshot of all of this, of course, is that Boren and Stoops put themselves in this no-win situation last fall during the Mixon thing, the receiver from Mizzou deal, and the Shannon situation.

I fail to understand why people lump Shannon into this situation. Do people just fundamentally refuse to believe that it was a title IX process?

Now DGB and Mixon were clearly handled by the Boren/Stoops/OU. I wasn't thrilled we accepted DGB and not too hurt that he never played - just glad he didn't make any headlines. Mixon is just a weird, weird situation. I don't deny that keeping him around puts the OU powers in a bit of a tough situation now, but I don't think it is a huge factor.

The way the team is reacting shows there is an undercurrent of issues with the players outside the SAE event, IMO. I agree if Stoop had full control of the team, they would rally for each other for the common cause of football. But it could be worse - Stoops could take a hard *** stand and force practice and then he would lose the team completely for sure. This little delay of practice (they won't miss them) could be a uniting force in the long run. Hope it turns out that way.

EatLeadCommie
3/12/2015, 04:46 PM
The Mixon thing isn't even relevant for crying out loud. That was a physical activity. Fighting words that grew into a fight. It happens, even with a girl (a girl who may have uttered the n-word herself).

This is a frat behaving boorishly and it went public.